• B. Michaelangelo (silly one)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C. Leonardo (the leader)

• D. Donatello (The smart one)

• Total voters
just watched those vids a few pgs back,
Larkin a quick guard who can get to the hoop, plays defense, and knock down an open 3? yas

Ellington can be our Novak replacement. heat check guy.

kyrie signing 5 year extension :frown:

friday_gif_collection_06.gif

Kyrie can still be traded. Never thought he'd leave after his rookie contract anyway. He's already underpaid, makes no sense to leave and then still get paid less for longer before he can start making max money.
he is right though. it's not any ball player's job to recruit
You gotta go out of your way to win. Sure its not his job, but it'll make his job 100x easier if he has a hand in helping.
It is more than clear that out of all the stars/superstars in the league Rose is the least likely candidate to be used to recruit anybody.

Yall think Melo gonna be impressed when Rose shows up in his wheelchair being carried around Chi by Hodor???!?!?? An injured Kobe is more reliable.

Plus out all of those crafty scheming dudes Rose aint the type. It's pretty clear he's not close off the court friends with any of them dudes.

Last edited:
While I agree with what most of yall are saying and I think Calderon is a much better triangle offense fit than Jameer Nelson or some other point guards on the market, I think that just because Phil has never coached an elite PG (and won championships anyway), doesnt mean he could not win with an elite PG if he brought one in. I think it would be no different than it would with a player like Melo, as long as he buys in and learns the offensive system Phil/Fisher would make it work.

When Phil and Tex Winter first tried to install the triangle offense in Chicago as assistant coaches, Doug Collins refused (and exiled Winter in the process), because he thought the system was too team oriented for the NBA, and especially would never work around a superstar talent like Michael Jordan. But When Phil took over as head coach, he obviously made it work and it made MJ more of a team player.

Then in Los Angeles it was thought the Lakers would have trouble utilizing the system around Shaq because the Bulls never relied on a center to score when they ran the triangle. But once again Phil obviously made it work.

I think having a great PG here would be similar to the Shaq situation in LA. Phil never relied on a center for offense in Chicago because he simply did not have the personnel to do so. But once he was given a chance to coach a dominant offensive center like Shaq, he tweaked the system in order to utilize Shaq's dominance and get the ball to him in one-on-one positions in the low post.

I think that just because Phil has never relied on a great point guard to flourish in his system does not mean he would not be able to do so. I think the bigger problem is more the lack of elite point guards on the open market. The best realistic option is probably Rondo, and even he is a long shot and not a great triangle fit because of his lack of shooting ability.

Phil likes his point guards to possess certain specific qualities over others (such as bigger guards over smaller, good shooters over point guards who need to control the ball alot and drive the lane to be effective, etc.) and I think Phil's skill set preferences work much more in a player like Calderon's favor over Shane Larkin's, but do I think it is a little bit of a myth that Phil would not be able to utilize the skill set of an elite PG if he had the opportunity to do so.

Very meaningful post. Something most people do not understand and do not see. The thing is PJ is not the coach, and Fisher is. The same parallel of MJ being operations, but not actually playing. Obviously Fishers experience comes from PJ as well as his own. But he is predominately a leader in and out. I don‘t see Kerr as the same, though PJ thought otherwise.

Kyrie can still be traded. Never thought he'd leave after his rookie contract anyway. He's already underpaid, makes no sense to leave and then still get paid less for longer before he can start making max money.
Please keep Kyrie and his $90 million contract as far away from the Knicks as possible. I am not looking to repeat the Marbury era. Thank you.

Also Bravelude, I appreciate that you get where I was getting at and I understand your point as well about Phil not being the coach here, like he was in Chicago and LA. But his role with the Knicks is much different than MJ's situation with the Wizards/Charlotte. Coaching and front office has always been a MUCH easier transition throughout the course of NBA history than playing and front office or coaching has been. 

Great NBA players have far more often than not failed to find the same kind of success after their NBA careers as NBA coaches and front office personnel. It shouldnt come as a a surprise to anyone to see MJ struggle like he has when you look at what most other players of his caliber have done in the past when they tried to take over teams. The players that have made the best front office people and coaches are the more intuitive kind of NBA players who were not necessarily all-star caliber. Kind of like how Danny Ainge has been the most successful post-NBA player of the 1980s Celtics although he was not as valuable to the Celtics teams as Bird and McHale were, and Phil Jackson has been far more successful as a coach than his teammate QWillis Reed (amongst other examples such as Dumars > Isiah, etc.).

Also there is a much stronger correlation between coaching and front office than playing and either one of the 2. Both coaching and front office roles must find success in leadership and building great teams while a great NBA player like MJ can lead his team to success without ever having to build a team around him. This is why NBA teams typically fail when they listen to what their star players want instead of doing what they think is best.

Keep in mind that both Red Auerbach and Pat Riley are on the Mount Rushmore of coaches as well as general managers. While someone like Gregg Popovich is not the GM of the Spurs, he still has a great relationship with RC Buford and has alot of say in the front office decisions. I think that Pop is also the team president and can overrule Buford if a situation like that ever occured.

So like I said, most great NBA coaches have had dual success in their team's front offices and Phil is as great of an NBA coach as there ever has been. He knows basketball and he knows what it takes to build winning teams, I expect him to transition very well in to the front office and make Derek Fisher's coaching job alot easier in the process.

Honestly I wouldn't want CP3 either, strictly due to the fact that scoring PGs are the ones making deep trips in the playoffs. We need more of a Billups scoring PG than a CP3 type. Plus Paul is very ball dominant. He can at the very least shoot at a respectable rate but he'd struggle similar to a guy like Rondo in the Triangle.

Last edited:
We gotta stop bringing up Chris Paul :lol:. His name literally came from the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:
Honestly I wouldn't want CP3 either, strictly due to the fact that scoring PGs are the ones making deep trips in the playoffs. We need more of a Billups scoring PG than a CP3 type. Plus Paul is very ball dominant. He can at the very least shoot at a respectable rate but he'd struggle similar to a guy like Rondo in the Triangle.
What's Stephon Marbury doing right now?

Last edited:
What's Stephon Marbury doing right now?
Winning in China, while eating vaseline

Back
Top Bottom