Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B. Michaelangelo (silly one)

• C. Leonardo (the leader)

• D. Donatello (The smart one)

• Total voters
Shumps J looks a lot better, but his handling and ability to run and offense is still weak. He has a much higher ceiling than just a role player who can play D and spot up. I honestly think he has all-star potential and can slowly develop every year like Paul George (minus the growth spurt.) And it's why people are asking for a lot out of him.

And it's why we're seeing him with the B team in preseason. He's not going to be able to have a lot of freedom on offense with Felt/Prigs/Melo/Bargs on the floor. So you gotta let him run with the bench players and let him have the ball and try to set himself apart from everyone.

Shump is 23 now, this is really the last season anyone can consider him to be a young player. So despite the injuries/lockout season, the next 2 seasons are crucial for him to make the quantum leap from being a kid figuring it out to a man who's a star on the court.

Last edited:
I don't understand why Woodson wants him to be able to run an offense. That's not who is and is not one his strengths at all. It takes away from everything he can do.

Duhon Injured As Victim Of Hit-And-Run
Oct 15, 2013 12:55 PM EDT

Chris Duhon was injured during a hit-and-run incident on Saturday at a parking garage in Orlando.

Duhon and his brother-in-law, Julio Hernandez, were walking through the Plaza parking garage when an unidentified man driving a black Lexus honked at them to get out of the way of his vehicle.

Duhon was hit by the car and slammed his head against the windshield.

Duhon told officiers he could not recall the incident.

It had to be a Knick fan

Who never forgave Duhon.

Last edited:
i don't get people being content with shumpert being a raw defender/spot up 3 guy.

there are so many average players in the league that can do that.

this dude has potential to be a complete player and people are mad at Woodson for not being content with him being a wacker version of Danny Green. Shumps got potential to be the Paul George lite of the SG position and make an all-star team or 2.

I don't really see Shumpert as being good off the dribble. He moves faster than he can handle the ball. When he tried to take someone off the dribble you can see he struggles to keep his handle up while attacking. But he still has a year to work on things so we'll see.

Shumpt getting traded and becoming a role player on a championship team down the line. C'mon now....

Don't get attached.

This is going to be a big year for Shump either way, Would love for him to hit the ground running from the off, but remember he is probably a year back in his development because of injury and lock out

After five years of using the SCHOENE projection system to predict the upcoming NBA season, I have a pretty good sense of where SCHOENE will differ from conventional wisdom. Still, sometimes the results surprise even me. Such was the case when I saw the initial version of the Knicks projection featured in today's Insider team forecast: 37 wins. Tom Haberstroh did a good job of explaining New York's potential pitfalls in the forecast, but I wanted to take a closer look at some of the statistical factors causing SCHOENE to project such a steep decline.

1. 3-Point Outage

As Tom noted, no team in NBA history has been more dependent on the 3-pointer than last year's Knicks, who made a league-high 891 triples. Over the summer, New York lost its two most accurate 3-point shooters (Steve Novak, 42.5 percent; and Chris Copeland, 42.1 percent) as well as Jason Kidd, who made 114 3s. The newcomers replacing them (Andrea Bargnani, 30.9 percent; Beno Udrih, 33.3 percent; and Metta World Peace, 34.2 percent) combined to make 33.4 percent of their 3s, a rate worse than league average.

Add in regression from the Knicks' holdovers and SCHOENE projects them to make nearly 200 fewer 3-pointers this season. Take away those triples and New York's offense could look a lot more like the 2011-12 incarnation, which finished 19th in the league in offensive rating.

2. Fewer Looks, Makes for Melo

Because the Knicks lost two of their lowest-usage players, Kidd (responsible for 11.7 percent of the team's plays) and Novak (13.1 percent), SCHOENE projects Carmelo Anthony's league-high 35.6 percent usage rate to decline all the way to 30.2 percent. Yet Anthony is also projected to be less efficient because SCHOENE factors in his down 2011-12 season.

As a result, SCHOENE estimates just a 16 percent chance of Anthony playing as well as last season or better. If his improvement last season was a real effect of the improved spacing around him -- and New York can replicate that without its best shooters -- Anthony could easily outperform his projection.

3. The Effects of Age

Anthony isn't the only Knicks player with a pessimistic SCHOENE projection. In fact, of New York's likely rotation, only J.R. Smith saw similar players improve at the same age. Players similar to Amar'e Stoudemire declined by 6.1 percent the following season, while players similar to Tyson Chandler saw a 5.4 percent decline.

Chandler might be the most important factor. If the Knicks are going to score more like they did in 2011-12, they'll have to defend like they did in Mike Woodson's first half-season at the helm, when they finished fifth in defensive rating and Chandler won Defensive Player of the Year honors. If he suffers through another season where injuries limit his productivity, that will be difficult if not impossible.

http://espn.go.com/blog/truehoop/post/_/id/63321/explaining-the-knicks-schoene-projection

Yawn.

Team won 54 games last year, got better, and they are projected to win 17 games less? Ok.

That thread was classic NT, brought back some good memories indeed.

Last edited:
@HerringWSJ: Melo, on ESPNs SCHOENE computer prediction, which has the Knicks at 37-45: "Sometimes computers have glitches."

Melo normally dresses on point strange to see him so casual for something like this

NEW YORK -- New York Knicks forward Carmelo Anthony said in a recent interview that he wants to opt out of the final year of his contract this summer and test free agency.

"I want to be a free agent," Anthony told the New York Observer. "I think everybody in the NBA dreams to be a free agent at least one time in their career. It's like you have an evaluation period, you know. It's like if I'm in the gym and I have all the coaches, all the owners, all the GMs come into the gym and just evaluate everything I do. So yes, I want that experience."

Back
Top Bottom