Oakland RAIDERS Season Thread

With the New NT starting up perfect time to start the Season thread

[h2] click the image to see schedule bigger
[/h2]

[h2] TRAINING CAMP: 2012
[/h2]

Camp goals 

1. Establish accountability under new coach Dennis Allen. Former coach Hue Jackson vowed to eradicate penalties, only to have the Raiders set NFL records with 163 of them for 1,358 yards. Allen said the Raiders will be tough, smart and disciplined and that the penalty problem will be a big focus of training camp. In the past, Raiders players have been secure in their roles as starters, realizing the final say wasn't with the head coach but with owner Al Davis. No longer. Decisions on who plays and who doesn't will be Allen's call, by order of general manager Reggie McKenzie.
201205151345495445156-p2.jpeg
Timing and familiarity shouldn't be an excuse for Oakland QB Carson Palmer this season. (AP)

2. The other area where accountability will be paramount is the Raiders' run defense, one of Oakland's biggest weaknesses last season. Gap integrity has been missing for years – the Raiders were 29th against the run last season and that's about the area they've resided since 2002. Again, will Allen be quick to push aside players who fail to execute?

Player to watch

Quarterback Carson Palmer  believes a new offensive system featuring moving pockets and precision passing will be the rebirth of his career. A year ago, showing up via trade afterJason Campbell  broke his collarbone, Palmer did his best to be a leader but it was clear that in some quarters there was a hangover among some players with regard to Campbell, who was particularly tight with the receiving corps. Toward that end, Palmer has already had offseason workouts with wideouts including startersDarrius Heyward-Bey  and Denarius Moore. Palmer goes in to the season with more clout than any quarterback since Rich Gannon and he'll need to exercise it.

On the hot seat 

Middle linebacker Rolando McClain  awaits appeal of misdemeanor convictions for assault, reckless endangerment, illegal discharge of a firearm and menacing. He could serve up to 180 days in jail, and lose a good portion if not all of the season if the justice system moves along quickly. More likely, McClain will play through the appeals process as it drags on and show the Raiders that he can be a good citizen and teammate. McClain's studious nature in film study has never been in doubt, but the Raiders are watching closely at his off-field behavior. They're solidly in his corner, with general manager Reggie McKenzie saying they won't hold him responsible for past sins.

The Raiders want to see the player they took No. 8 in the draft after two seasons of mediocre production against the run or pass. But they won't hesitate to act swiftly if he ends up the victim of his own questionable decision-making. Any more shots of McClain being put with a smile into a police cruiser could mean the instant elevation of third-year player Travis Goethel  to middle linebacker and McClain being sent out of town as a bust similar to JaMarcus Russell.

Strategy and personnel  

Interesting to note there was no variation in terms of the first-team offensive line from the first OTA through the mandatory minicamp.

The Raiders lined up with Jared Veldheer  at left tackle, Cooper Carlisle  at left guard, Alex Parsons  at center, Mike Brisiel  at right guard and Khalif Barnes  at right tackle at every practice except when Brisiel missed time with a hamstring strain.

Parsons will be moved aside in favor of Stefen Wisniewski, a left guard last season, when training camp begins. It does afford Parsons, however, the chance of making the 53-man roster as he is currently the lone backup center.

The two players most likely to have a chance to compete for a starting spot when camp begins are rookie third-round pick Tony Bergstrom  at Carlisle's left guard spot and second-year player Joe Barksdale  at right tackle against Barnes.

Medical watch

– WR Denarius Moore (right hamstring strain) missed the last two days of the mandatory minicamp. He is expected to return for training camp.

– DT Travis Ivey  sustained a concussion during a weight lifting session when his head hit the bar and missed time during the mandatory minicamp. He is expected to return for training camp.

– SS Mike Mitchell  (knee) is expected back for training camp.

– C Stefen Wisniewski (shoulder) missed the mandatory minicamp and OTAs while rehabbing but is expected back for training camp.

– FB Manase Tonga  (knee) missed OTAs and mandatory minicamp but is expected to return for training camp where competition will be fierce with Owen Schmitt  and Marcel Reece.

– LB Aaron Curry  (knee) practiced on the first day of the mandatory minicamp then sat out the next two  as a precautionary measure.

– TE Brandon Myers  (hamstring) missed the last minicamp practice but is expected back by training camp.

– WR Eddie McGee  (hamstring) is expected back for training camp.

Last edited:
AlBooBoo I'm ALWAYS down to link with NTers at the game. Me and a couple of my boys usually get a very modest tailgate goin but we go hard with the liquor and blunts.

Lets pick a game. Single game ticket should go on sale in a few weeks. I hope they have some package deals. Like last year buy one and get one free. Not much of a drinker but :smokin all day.

Here is a look at the teams we play next year. Saw this on csnbayarea.com

Home

Jacksonville
Tennessee
Philadelphia
Washington
AFC North
Denver
Kansas City
San Diego

Away

Houston
Indianapolis
Dallas
N.Y. Giants
AFC East
Denver
Kansas City
San Diego

I usually get season tickets and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it again so whatever game you guys wanna meet up let me know.

Offense should be real nice this year, I'm mostly concerned about the pass D but I think Bartell will be nicer than what people are giving him credit for.

I usually get season tickets and I'm pretty sure I'm gonna do it again so whatever game you guys wanna meet up let me know.
Offense should be real nice this year, I'm mostly concerned about the pass D but I think Bartell will be nicer than what people are giving him credit for.

Agreed.

I think Bartell and whoever starts at the other CB spot (probably Spencer?) will be an upgrade over Stanford/DVD/CJ/etc.

Hopefully Rolando shows some spark this year. Him Curry and Wheeler could be decent.

Unbelievable that EVERY sports blog I've been reading have the RAIDERS going under .500. UN-BEEE-LIEVABLE.

Can't wait for the season!

Murphy to Carolina

Panthers acquired WR Louis Murphy from the Raiders.

The Raiders' compensation is likely a late-round pick. The trade comes three weeks after the Contra Costa Times reported Murphy was in a "fight" for his roster spot, and greatly increases undrafted rookie Rod Streater's chances of cracking Oakland's 53-man roster. The move could be interpreted as a lack of faith from Carolina in Brandon LaFell and David Gettis, but the reality is Murphy is little more than a depth acquisition for one of the league's thinner receiver corps. He'll have an inside track on a roster spot, but will have to stay healthy, something that has proven challenging for him his first three years in the league.

Source:  Jason Cole on Twitter

Jul 23 - 1:12 PM

Murphy hasn't progressed at all in his time with us, it was time to move on. I think Criner and Streater will fill in just fine. I personally think Criner will turn into a monster in good time.

Just heard about the trade it's nice that we got a pick out of it. Seems like the Panthers are our new trading partner.

Back
Top Bottom