Oakland RAIDERS Season Thread

Raiders ready for 1st camp since Al Davis’ death

ALAMEDA, Calif. — The uniforms are the same familiar silver and black the Oakland Raiders have worn for decades. The roster contains the fastest collection of players in the NFL. And the offense features a quarterback who wants to throw the ball deep.

Those are just some of the many familiar standards that still exist as the Raiders head to their first training camp since death of owner and architect Al Davis.

But make no mistake, there’s a different vibe around the Raiders as they begin preparations for their first season in a half-century without Davis at the helm.

"The newness has started to dwindle, but every day is something because things have been done a certain way for so long. It’s just the way it is," general manager Reggie McKenzie said. "Changes are going to continue to be made through this time next year because you can’t build Rome overnight."

But McKenzie has made progress on a complete overhaul since being hired by Davis’ son, Mark, in January to run the football side of the organization that had been under Al Davis’ purview ever since he arrived as coach in Oakland in 1963.

McKenzie hired Dennis Allen as the team’s first defensive-minded coach since John Madden roamed the sidelines during the 1970s, overhauled the scouting and personnel departments, made significant roster changes by jettisoning some big-money players and modernized the out-of-date infrastructure.

"It’s definitely different. You don’t see the same faces around here anymore," said defensive tackle Tommy Kelly, entering his ninth season with the Raiders. "Al D was almost hands on with everything. He was very involved with every decision and now it’s a chain of command."

McKenzie is in charge of the front office and Allen has quickly seized the reins on the field. The longtime assistant has adjusted well to his first head coaching job at age 39.

He has earned the respect during the offseason of veterans like Richard Seymour [stats], who praised Allen’s teaching skills, and young players as well.

The former Denver defensive coordinator has also installed a new defense in Oakland after years of running Davis’ preferred style of man-to-man coverage on the outside and little blitzing up front.

Safety Michael Huff said he’s happy to be playing a "real defense" in his seventh season with the Raiders.

"Nothing personal but, obviously, before with Al, rest in peace, he had his hands in all the defense." Huff said. "He had all his little things he liked to do. Now with D.A. out there, we got all kinds of blitzes, we got 3-4, 4-3 fronts, just a lot of different variety and a lot of different things going on. So, I’m going to love it."

The defensive schemes are far from the only changes. Barely one-third of the roster headed to camp played a single game with the Raiders before Davis’ death last Oct. 8. The newcomers are at crucial spots, most notably at quarterback where Carson Palmer prepares for his first full season in Oakland.

Acquired last October from Cincinnati in a bold deal by former coach Hue Jackson for a 2012 first-round pick and 2013 second-rounder, Palmer showed signs of being the elite quarterback he was a few years ago in Cincinnati but was far too inconsistent with 16 interceptions in 10 games.

But with a full offseason to learn a new offense that will feature plenty of bootlegs and rollouts and to build a rapport with a speedy, young receiving corps, Palmer feels rejuvenated after being ready to retire a year ago rather than play with the Bengals.

"It’s a completely new offense," he said. "There’s really no similarities to anything I’ve done before, but I love all the boots and play-actions and all the nakeds and keepers. I’m excited to do that and really those are the things that are going to help the run game. The more the running game moves the chains and the better the run game is, the better everyone else is on the entire team."

After decades of dominance under Davis, the Raiders have not been very good of late. They have not made the playoffs or had a winning record for nine straight seasons, going 8-8 the past two years.

But the Raiders still set a standard of excellence earlier during Davis’ run that the new regime hopes to match.

"I think what he did here with the Raiders organization and how he built the organization, the loyalty that he’s created within the organization, makes this one of the best organizations in sports to get an opportunity to work for." Allen said. "I’m excited about trying to meet the standards that are here in the Bay Area for the Raiders. We won’t do everything exactly the way it’s done before. We’ll put our own stamp on it, but I’m excited about working for the Raiders."

[emoji]169[/emoji] Copyright 2012 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Last edited:
I was going to be there, but I just landed a game day job with the Raiders so I'll be working.

Word, bro? I'd love to work for the Raiders, just graduated from college. Where are you in the organization? Or did I read your post wrong and you're just working for them that one day?

Last edited:
Raiders Training Camp (Get your Free Tickets to Camp)

Beginning Friday, July 27 at 10:00 a.m., fans wishing to attend a practice in Napa can visit any Raider Image location and receive two tickets to one practice, while supplies last. Tickets will be available for practices on Friday, August 3, Saturday, August 4 and Sunday, August 5. The tickets are free of charge and no purchase is necessary.

Fans wishing to attend a practice in Napa must have a ticket. There will be no entry without a ticket to the applicable practice.

Limited parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis on the grounds of Redwood Middle School (enter on Oxford Street), and at the Napa Valley Marriott, at the south end of the hotel behind the spa.

Visit Oakland Raiders | Fans at Training Camp for a list of Raider Image locations, a list of items that will not be allowed at practice, and for more information.

For more information on the Silver and Black, please log on to The Official Site of the Oakland Raiders, “LIKE” the Raiders on Facebook (www.facebook.com/Raiders) and follow the Raiders on Twitter (twitter.com/Raiders @RAIDERS).

Checking in.

I firmly believe were goin to make some noise this year.

Everybody seems to be writing Palmer off. he didnt get a chance at training camp last year.

Report: Criner won't sign contract unless paid more than draft slot dictates

Here is how Williamson explains it:

What’s the difference between promising Oakland Raiders receiver Juron Criner being at training camp Monday morning when the team opens camp and him not being there?

Fourteen thousand dollars.

According to a source with knowledge of the situation, the fifth-round pick has yet to sign his rookie contract with the Raiders because the two sides are squaring off over his signing bonus. Criner wants $158,000 while the team is offering $144,000. The Arizona receiver -- who was an OTA star for the Raiders -- is the only non-first round pick who is unsigned.

According to the source, Criner’s request is based on what the players drafted directly ahead of him were paid in bonus money. The total difference between the bonus money from the No. 26-32 picks in the fifth round is $18,000-plus dollars. From picks No. 30-32 in the round; the difference between the bonus money was in the $2,000 range for each pick. The bonus money for the No. 32 pick in the fifth round (Cincinnati safety George Iloka) was $160,000-plus. Criner wants the $2,000 bonus decline to continue.

However, the issue is Criner was the No. 33 pick of the round as a supplemental pick. The NFL’s Management Council’s guidelines for bonus slotting takes a significant decline for supplemental picks. The guidelines for the No. 33 pick of the fifth round is the $144,000 the Raiders are offering.

The dispute is very simple. The player wants to stay in line with what the picks ahead of him received and the team wants to stick to the league’s protocol for the pick. According to the source, Criner likely will not sign until the issue is resolved.

14K is significant considering the contract is not even 200K total. I'm not going to get mad at him for wanting that extra bit of change.

Nice to hear about how things have changed. :smokin The players and media really like it.

Last edited:
^^ he already signed and reported the 1st day.

Been all over training camp news, anyone going to the public ones?
I'm jealous.

Camp Confidential: Oakland Raiders
August, 3, 2012
AUG 3
12:00
PM ET
By Bill Williamson

NAPA, Calif. -- One of the biggest curiosities in the NFL this summer is what is occurring in Wine Country. Graced with the prettiest training camp setting in the league, the Oakland Raiders are changing in front of our very eyes.

On the same practice field where the late Al Davis used to famously stalk practice from a nearby golf cart, the Raiders are a drastically different franchise as they enter their first full season since Davis died last October at the age of 82.

The team is now run by first-time general manager Reggie McKenzie, a respected former Green Bay executive and former Raiders linebacker. He was handpicked by several of Davis’ closest confidantes. McKenzie chose Dennis Allen, who at 39 is the NFL’s youngest coach, to take over the team.

For a franchise that was closely ruled by Davis until his death, the Raiders are hoping a dose of NFL modern structure will pay dividends. Even though it has been 8-8 in the past two seasons, Oakland hasn’t had a winning record in 10 years and it is tied for the second-longest playoff drought in the league.

Perhaps McKenzie and Allen are the winning combination for Oakland.

“I think everybody is interested to see what happens,” said Oakland safety Michael Huff, who has been with the Raiders since 2006. “I’ve only known one way. To have this new structure is new to me.”

THREE HOT ISSUES

1. Keep McFadden healthy: The Raiders’ best player is running back Darren McFadden. He has to stay healthy, but that hasn’t been easy for the fifth-year player. He has missed at last three games in each of his four NFL seasons. He missed the final nine games of last season with a serious foot injury. If McFadden can stay healthy, the Oakland offense will be dangerous and it will help quarterback Carson Palmer make a difference in his first full season in Oakland. If McFadden can’t stay healthy, the Raiders could be in trouble. They are not deep behind him and lose a major dimension with McFadden sidelined. McFadden has looked good so far, but the key is that he looks healthy.

2. Improve on defense: Allen is the first defensive-minded head coach of the Raiders since John Madden, who was hired in 1969. There is a reason McKenzie went with a defensive coach: the Raiders need the most help on that side of the ball. Oakland has been sloppy and has allowed too many big plays on defense. Allen helped change the defensive culture in Denver last year during his one season as the defensive coordinator there. His quest to improve Oakland’s defense begins now.

AP Photo/Derek Gee
A healthy Darren McFadden is crucial for Oakland's success.
3. Cut down on penalties: The Raiders set NFL records for penalties and penalty yardage last season. It has long been a problem in Oakland. Now, it is up to Allen to get it figured out. Playing disciplined, correct ball is a focus of every camp. It has to be drilled into this team on a daily basis. To his credit, former coach Hue Jackson tried to fix penalties on a weekly basis last year and it didn’t work. It's now one of Allen’s greatest challenges. Allen stresses the importance of discipline every day and he will need to change this self-destructive trend.

REASON FOR OPTIMISM

This roster has a lot of talent on it. The Raiders were on the edge of the playoffs last year, and there are lot players who think they are capable of taking the next step. Palmer has talked playoffs, and McKenzie says he thinks his team is headed in that direction.

The offense has the capability to score a lot of points, and the defense is loaded up front. It’s not like this team is going to be horribly overmatched on a weekly basis. You can watch training camp and you see good players on the field.

REASON FOR PESSIMISM

This team is pretty thin at a lot of places because of the loss of several players through free agency, salary dumps and small draft classes the past two years. Again, there is talent assembled in this camp, but there are holes on this team. Positions such as running back, tight end, offensive line, linebacker and the secondary cannot afford too many injuries.

This camp is about keeping the top players healthy and hoping it all comes together. If injuries occur, Oakland will have to get creative to stay competitive.

OBSERVATION DECK

-The offense looks crisp. The pace of practice has been fast as the team adjusts to playing in the West Coast offense under -coordinator Greg Knapp. The unit does not look behind.

-Carson Palmer threw for 2,753 yards in 10 games with the Raiders last season.

-Palmer throws a pretty deep ball. With the Raiders’ speed at receiver, they should parlay that combination into a lot of fast scores this season.

-There is a lot of talent at receiver. I can see this team using five receivers in a game. There will be a lot of options.

-Defensive lineman Tommy Kelly looks to be in good shape. He is one of the more underrated defensive linemen in the league.

-Defensive linemen Matt Shaughnessy is looking good after missing much of last season with a shoulder injury. He is known as a stronger pass-rusher, but he can also stop the run. He is aiming for a big year.

-I don’t anticipate a big adjustment period for second-year player Stefen Wisniewski as he moves from guard to center. He has played center before and he originally projected as an NFL center. He is a smart player who seems comfortable at the position.
Don’t expect too much from quarterback Terrelle Pryor right away. He is a work in progress and he will be up and down in camp. I think Matt Leinart has a pretty strong hold on the No. 2 job as of now.

-Second-year cornerback DeMarcus Van **** has a chance to make a push for a starting job. He opened camp as a starter with Ronald Bartell out with a hamstring injury. I could see Van **** pushing Bartell or Shawntae Spencer at some point.
The team is impressed with rookie linebackers Miles Burris and Nathan Stupar. Both players are instinctive and professional. I wouldn’t be surprised if Burris earns major playing time.

-The team is high on third-round guard Tony Bergstrom. The game doesn’t look too big for him, and he is a mature player.
New defensive coordinator Jason Tarver has a lot of energy. Watching him operate with his lively personality and blond hair invokes memories of a young Jon Gruden wearing the Silver and Black. Like Gruden, the intelligent Tarver is a young coach to watch.
I think we will see tight ends Brandon Myers, David Ausberry and Richard Gordon all get ample playing time in the preseason. I think that can continue into the regular season if each player carves their own niche.

-Safety Mike Mitchell is the early leader in the clubhouse to replace Rock Cartwright, now in San Francisco, as the punt protector.

-Receivers Denarius Moore and Jacoby Ford will get most of the camp looks at punt returner for now.

-Undrafted rookie receiver Rod Streater has taken off where he left off in the OTAs. He has been an early camp star.

-I could see a scenario in which the Raiders keep fullback Owen Schmitt in addition to Marcel Reece. The tough Schmitt and the versatile Reece offer different things to the offense.

So I work with a girl who is a Charger fan and her and her friend are going to the Monday Night game and sitting in the Black Hole? Will she survive??? I think he's a Charger fan also but his friends are Raider fans.

Chargers already going down with injuries. Can't wait for this season I've been hearing good things about Palmer.

I just made an AFC West thread for the year. Hope to see you guys in it occasionally and whenever we're approaching a game against someone in our division. Don't want to see the other teams dominate it.

I've been reading from reporters at the training camp that Palmer does indeed look really good in Knapp's offense. Apparently the lack of mobility everyone believes that plagues him isn't stopping him from rolling out and moving as necessary to make his plays. That's really good news, and challenges teams to break through our pretty good O-line.

I also read that Goodson came back today to practice and that he's feeling almost completely well again after having to be taken to the hospital a few days ago when he was hit helmet to helmet by Wheeler. That's really good news, especially since Benson is about to sign with the Patriots and we need to do our best to keep our RB corps healthy from the get go.

On a side note, I just bought the New Era fitted for this team and the quality is no joke. Feels great, and the logo itself looks right. I might even buy the white version of the hat, but I'm worried about ****ing it up quick.

I wanted to fly up from So Cal for the Monday Night game but my friends are either not raider fans or lame :smh:

RRRAAAAIIIIIDDDEERRRSSSSS. Have to work late tonight and have the game being recorded. Will watch after gym/dinner/playing with my kids.

Anywhere outside of television where one may view this fantastic preseason matchup between the Cowboys of Dallas and the Raiders of Oakland?

Back
Top Bottom