Off-White x Air Jordan Thread - Rest In Peace Virgil Abloh

I never knew grails and unattainable were synonymous. Ftr, I totally and completely disagree with that. A grail is subjective to the person. BC3s, bred 1s and bred & cement 4s are forever grails to me. Charcoal 9s and air tech challenge 4s are grails to me. All the classic, timeless, nostalgic pairs I loved so much as a child are all grail status to me and will forever be. Has absolutely nothing to do with attainability. It's about feeling and emotion. Fir example... Oregon ducks PEs are super dope and obviously pretty much unattainable, but not on my "grails" list.

I never knew grails and unattainable were synonymous. Ftr, I totally and completely disagree with that. A grail is subjective to the person. BC3s, bred 1s and bred & cement 4s are forever grails to me. Charcoal 9s and air tech challenge 4s are grails to me. All the classic, timeless, nostalgic pairs I loved so much as a child are all grail status to me and will forever be. Has absolutely nothing to do with attainability. It's about feeling and emotion. Fir example... Oregon ducks PEs are super dope and obviously pretty much unattainable, but not on my "grails" list.
I agree with this logic 100%. My Mambacita's are grails to me even though there were 90k pairs made and Kobe's aren't overly fashionable for streetwear. The meaning behind the shoe and the nostalgia for me personally (wore every Kobe growing up in high school and college) makes them grails to me.

It's not even that.

To me it's just something you covet more than others.

If I had the 2015 Chicagos or UNC OW 1s I'd rather get rid of those first before the OW 2s cause I like those more.

We can agree to disagree, aint no big deal.

To me though, grails are hard to get/hard to find.

Being able to log into an app and buy it, to me, doesn't qualify something being a grail. Just means you liked em, wanted them, and you bought em.
bingo.

theres a difference between wanting something but not willing to pay the going price vs simply not being able to find what you're looking for at ANY price.

actually just picked up some grails this week, after 10 years of looking.

Grails to me in the mid 2000s were 99 wc4/bc4/metalic5, 2000 firered5/infrared 2001 bc3 lists goes on, because I couldn’t obtain them or were hard for me to cop at my age

Example of a grail for me are these…

Can never find DS pairs in my size… been searching for many years… smh
21D8CEB8-FCA1-4125-B088-7611838D449F.jpeg

Learn something new everyday. Yall got it tho. I'll hold my L as it pertains to the official sneaker definition of grail.

🤷🏾‍♂️

Last edited:
On another note, OW 2s so heavy bc of the thick, sturdy leather. Very high quality. They cut a bit small tho due to the super plush padding inside. The midsole is easily my favorite detail. Definitely better than muslin 5s, which I originally thought was the best OW shoe.

On another note, OW 2s so heavy bc of the thick, sturdy leather. Very high quality. They cut a bit small tho due to the super plush padding inside. The midsole is easily my favorite detail. Definitely better than muslin 5s, which I originally thought was the best OW shoe.
If I'm a 10.5 in Union 2's and AM2's should I be safe to go with 10.5 in the OW2's? About ready to just splurge and pull the trigger.

I agree with this logic 100%. My Mambacita's are grails to me even though there were 90k pairs made and Kobe's aren't overly fashionable for streetwear. The meaning behind the shoe and the nostalgia for me personally (wore every Kobe growing up in high school and college) makes them grails to me.

I agree with the notion that grails can be attainable and doesnt have to be something hard to get.

Anyways, something about a shoe that has just recently come out (Mambacita) rubs me the wrong way as being a “grail”. Feels like a proper grail has to be a shoe thats been out for a minute that youve always wanted for time but coudnt for whatever reason, maybe money or rarity, but now you can get cause now you can afford it or say it got retroed or something. Something that just came out? Nah I dont think thats a grail.

Grail to me is subjective. What is attainable to one person may be unattainable to the next for what ever reason financial,young age or just in a more difficult spot in life financially than the next person whose doubling up on every release. A grail for me comin up was the bred 4 very obtainable shoe if u had funds. Always seen friends rockin them in school and around my hood but i was too young when they first retroed my parents werent willin to spend that bread on some breds lol. Once i started working getn my money up i was able to finally get my hands on them and obviously cop every time they retroed after but it still holds grail status to me and its easy to cop in any app lol.

Grail has become one of the most interchangeable words in this sneaker space. I’ve heard it be used to describe pairs that are damn near unobtainable (“a grail I’d love to have”), and I’ve also heard it be used to describe a pair that someone covets most in their collection (“of my pairs, my grail is / grails are…”). Regardless of its origin coming from the Holy Grail, or it’s textbook definition of “a thing that is being earnestly pursued or sought after,” I’m sure we all have seen/heard both the earlier aforementioned uses.

Back
Top Bottom