**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

i assume most people want wilson over gallo. but that would be much more difficult if we are going after melo. if we didn't have amare locked up i would say fine we can build with the youngins, but that's not the way it is.

Melo wins the close games we lost this year because of a lack of firepower (like against the Magic).
Gallo should be coming off the bench regardless, he'd be perfect in that Toni Kukoc role.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Originally Posted by GaBeGRaMz

Melo doesn't solve ANY need we have right now. He's not gonna run the point or guard Centers.
He's a legitimate 1b option to Stat when it comes to our offense. Chandlers played great last night, but he doesn't always have the ability to create his own shot like Melo does. When teams converge on Stat we suffer, unless our shooters are knocking down shots. Melo will help with that.
Don't get me wrong none of my opinion is just based of last night's game.

Chandler is not gonna do it like anybody but him. He does have the ability. Chandler gets 18 points on 13 shots a game. Melo gets 24 points on 19 shots. If Chandler gets those 6 more shots, being that he's close to 50% shooting he would almost always get to 24.
nerd.gif
Melo shooting 43%. Melo also gets 8 FT's a game and at his level he's probably getting 2-3 calls just cause he's Melo. Chandler gets 5 FT's a game because he get's fouled 3 times, nothing else. Couple more years and Chandler is getting the extra whistle or 2 as well.

Chandler get his shots in the flow of the game. Sometimes settles for jumpers, but it's a good mix most of the time. Melo will pound the ball most of the shot clock go one on one. Chandler is more efficient than Melo this year. Chandler is younger and will not demand a max. Chandler and Melo are redundant for the most part.

Money wise: Chandler and 2 other role pieces > Melo.

I don't want to turn this into a Chandler vs. Melo, because I know Melo is the better individual player, but for the Knicks I like what we got and I think we keep the core and build around it.

Basically why try and fix the parts of the car that work instead of trying to cop new accessories to upgrade the car as a whole?
grin.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Melo wins the close games we lost this year because of a lack of firepower (like against the Magic).
Gallo should be coming off the bench regardless, he'd be perfect in that Toni Kukoc role.

We not winning a chip this year. Why not allow Wilson to become that player? He's less of a risk. I don't like the get Melo, lock him up for big $ and hope it wins us a chip. We could just end up with a 2 superstar team that gets to the 2nd round every year for a long time. I rather get some pieces that aren't players that need to be locked down in a big contracts. I'm done with that. WAY too many of those the past 8 years. Rather be more flexible and ready to improve every off-season with tweaks.

Gallo as the Toni Kukoc type.
smokin.gif

the thing is i think chandler is gonna command alot of money. next years fee agent class is terrible. chandler might get slightly less than david lee money. at that point he's not worth it. can't get two great role players after you spend on chandler

those extra foul calls melo gets we need now. you can't win in this league without superstars. that's the way it is. the pistons were one in a thousand shot and that was a while ago

you need those star calls against that abomination of a team in the heat. and that's who we need to worry about. celtics won't least for another 3 years

the bigger probelm is that i don't think amare or melo will get anywhere near the type of calls as lebron and wade. melo and amare are at the top of the list for techs next to dwight

being the humble man chandler is i think he will take a low ball offer from us than some ridiculous offer from another team. how much do you guys think he's worth anyway?

I'd easily give him 4-6 mil.

6 is probably overpaying, but i wouldnt mind. 4 is the more realistic number.

Al Harrington got 5 years 35 mil, so Will will probably get 5 years 40-45 mill with today's CBA and how stupid GMs are these days.

We not winning a chip this year. Why not allow Wilson to become that player? He's less of a risk. I don't like the get Melo, lock him up for big $ and hope it wins us a chip. We could just end up with a 2 superstar team that gets to the 2nd round every year for a long time. I rather get some pieces that aren't players that need to be locked down in a big contracts. I'm done with that. WAY too many of those the past 8 years. Rather be more flexible and ready to improve every off-season with tweaks.
I see what you're saying, but with Amare on this team, we need to go out and get that prolific second scorer, instead of waiting and hoping Wilson develops into one before Amare reaches the back end of that contract.

Chandler is around $10M a yr comparing to other players..

I know a team will hit him with a high offer next season tho :ohwell:

Yall buggin. Melo is better than anynody on the Knicks at the moment. Talking about keeping Chandler
laugh.gif
I don't care that his game has risen this season from last. Yall gotta keep the reality of things in mind. This team aint much but a 1st round/at the most 2nd round and done team. That may be good enough for yall cuz we sucked a decade but I want nothing less than ECF and final appearances/wins.

You trade for Melo if you can. If we sign Melo in the off season it is highly unlikely that we resign Chandler. Not just cuz of cap space but cuz of his play this season and offers from other teams. Also, get it out of your mind that Melo will take less money if we sign him in the off season especially with w/e the new CBA will be.

I don't think anyone is arguing whether or not Chandler is better than Melo, but for THIS team go forward, it's plausible that keeping Chandler and adding a couple needed pieces would be better thank inking Melo to that max contract and still have holes in the lineup.

I'd be really hyped if we had Reggie Evans out there with Turiaf still on the team.

Yeah I understand that but keeping Chandler and adding a few pieces sounds like just trying to remain good/be in the playoff mix. The championship Knicks team I see in the immediate future or long run unfortunately for some of yall most likely doesn't have dudes like Chandler, Walker, Douglas, and maybe even Felton on it nor does it have D'Antoni as the head coach.

The way I see this current team is simply playing good in order for players to increase their trade value/contract signings (whether they know it or not) and increase the draw for elite and needed FAs. So these guys are playing really good but it's in order to get better players.

The reality of things is the team plays really good, may even beat the Bulls in the 1st round but this team still doesn't play that good defense (although I can't knock what they do when it comes to blocks). So all this complaining about a center or a back up pg is something I can't buy when Douglas is suppose to be that and he plays with tunnel vision, then you got SFs guarding Tim Duncan and Dwight Howard with Mozgov on the bench.

Sometimes I just be feeling the lot of these dudes except Amar'e have to be gone before we move forward. RJ is a homosexual lame but he right, we don't got no chips to be saying NY is back. All that's happened is we were pretty great but never won, sucked for a long time, and now are a lil better but aint much to brag about.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

I don't think anyone is arguing whether or not Chandler is better than Melo, but for THIS team go forward, it's plausible that keeping Chandler and adding a couple needed pieces would be better thank inking Melo to that max contract and still have holes in the lineup.

I'd be really hyped if we had Reggie Evans out there with Turiaf still on the team.
Adding a couple of role players won't make the Knicks a contender with this lineup. Adding Melo to those role players does. Of course if we have to sign Melo outright, it'll be a pain in the %%+ to get those role players, but then again we could move AR and maybe work a sign and trade with Will (would we have to give up his bird rights?) to bring them in.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

Al Harrington got 5 years 35 mil, so Will will probably get 5 years 40-45 mill with today's CBA and how stupid GMs are these days.

I see what you're saying, but with Amare on this team, we need to go out and get that prolific second scorer, instead of waiting and hoping Wilson develops into one before Amare reaches the back end of that contract.

The new CBA will probably squash that.

I figured we could keep Chandler if we got rid of AR like we're gonna anyways, let Azubuike+Walker go and get creative with Turiaf, but it feels like David Lee all over again, where our talent just prices itself out of our ambitions. I think it'd be stupid for Chandler to do what Haslem did for a team that was ready to trade him before the season started, but who knows, it's Donnie Corleone back there.

In Don We Trust
laugh.gif

Anyways, I wonder when we're gonna start seeing Amar'e on Law & Order: SVU or something.
ohwell.gif

RESTRICTED:
Wilson Chandler

UNRESTRICTED:
Kelenna Azubuike
Eddy Curry
Roger Mason
Ronny Turiaf (P)
Shawne Williams

I let everybody go except Chandler and Turiaf.

Back
Top Bottom