Official: 2008 Fantasy Baseball Thread *Sticky?*

Originally Posted by Mr Subliminals

I dropped Accardo and Corpas...Who would be a good replacement?

depends on who's out there... post like 5 or so replacements at SS and around 7-8 possible SP...

hard to just throw out names... also how many teams are in your league and what format (H2H, roto, etc) do you play in?

knowing the format may help in trying to find out who's the best replacement...

Isringhausen was just demoted and is out of the closing role, for now. Who replaces him? Franklin, Springer?

Originally Posted by patrickcakes

Isringhausen was just demoted and is out of the closing role, for now. Who replaces him? Franklin, Springer?

Well, Franklin got the save today with Springer working the 8th.
The only thing is that LaRussa loves playing the matchups, so if a save opportunity arises with a couple lefty's hitting, LaRussa will probablythrow a lefty in that situation.

LaRussa has said that he will split the save opps between Franklin and Springer but if I had to grab one, it would probably be Franklin for the time being.

Y! thinks that Guillermo Mota (2.25 ERA, 16.0 IP, 19 K, 11 BB) will get there first crack if Gagne gets demoted.

Gange has essentially been slacking all season so far, so is it worth dropping him? My RP is only Gange and Bobby Jenks though.

For the Vernon Wells owners besides me or others with insight, would you drop him? He's gonna be out up to 2 months or more, and there's some goodnames on the free agent list. I already have A-Rod on the DL.

^I held onto to Vernon but only because I had an open DL spot. I used it to pick up Ryan Franklin, the new closer from STL. But if you don't have the spotand really need another OF, drop him since its the easiest position to fill.

Originally Posted by Shady4Life

For the Vernon Wells owners besides me or others with insight, would you drop him? He's gonna be out up to 2 months or more, and there's some good names on the free agent list. I already have A-Rod on the DL.

Hold on to Vernon. Just wait till A-Rod gets off the DL and then put Vernon there. From what I've read/heard, A-Rod is supposed to return around midMay.

As far as the Gagne situation goes...

Since he's been demoted, I thought the likely candidates would be Salomon Torres (12 saves last year with PIT), Guillermo Mota, or David Riske. However,with Ned Yost putting Brian Shouse in with 2 outs in the 9th, it seems he won't be hesistant to change closers mid-inning. Even with that being said, Ithink Torres is the one to pick up here.

For the Vernon Wells owners besides me or others with insight, would you drop him? He's gonna be out up to 2 months or more, and there's some good names on the free agent list. I already have A-Rod on the DL.

I dropped him, only because I have an outfield well enough to hold me through perhaps until he even comes back when I could pick him up then.

Griffey, Fukudome, Abreu, and Ibanez. Not the greatest, but it will do. I had two free spots after I dropped Wells, and I'm in desperate need of bullpenhelp, as my only two RP are Jenks and Gange. I just picked up Carlos Marmol from the Cubs.
I still have an available roster spot, who should I pick up?

Jay Bruce will be called up once Griffey Jr is traded. Reds say that won't happen til he hits #600. If you're looking for a Vernon Wells replacement,he could be a good one to take a chance on.
He is already on the FA list on Yahoo so no need to waste a high waiver claim on him.

Originally Posted by bmj87

As far as the Gagne situation goes...

Since he's been demoted, I thought the likely candidates would be Salomon Torres (12 saves last year with PIT), Guillermo Mota, or David Riske. However, with Ned Yost putting Brian Shouse in with 2 outs in the 9th, it seems he won't be hesistant to change closers mid-inning. Even with that being said, I think Torres is the one to pick up here.

I think Mota should be the one to pick up. It looked like Torres got the first shot at being the closer on Sunday, but he couldn't finish it. So Yostbrought in Shouse for a lefty-lefty matchup with Schumaker. La Russa countered by pinch-hitting Molina for Schumaker. Mota was throwing in the pen in caseShouse couldn't finish it.
With Mota getting the save tonight striking out Ankiel with the bases loaded, it may be enough for him to run with thecloser's job, at least until Gagne gets his head straightened out and rediscovers his control (if he ever does this season).

Originally Posted by ThrowbacksInSF

Jay Bruce will be called up once Griffey Jr is traded. Reds say that won't happen til he hits #600. If you're looking for a Vernon Wells replacement, he could be a good one to take a chance on.
He is already on the FA list on Yahoo so no need to waste a high waiver claim on him.

Yeah I picked up Bruce, put Vern on the DL and put A-Rod on the bench, just saw he's out another week, that sucks. Of course I pick him after hismonster year and fat contract...

Gange back in the role as closer, picked up the save tonight. I of course had him benched still.

I'm thinking of dropping Brad Hawpe for Hideki Matsui, and Jair Jurrjens for Micah Owings. Do it on both?

^ I'd do the Hawpe for Matsui one... but I like Jair too. Who else do you have on your roster so you could pick up Micah?

This dude, theone, accidentally dropped Furcal then posted a message talking about "please don't do medirty".
roll.gif

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

This dude, theone, accidentally dropped Furcal then posted a message talking about "please don't do me dirty".
roll.gif

laugh.gif
I'm in that league. I guess Waiver #4 wasn't good enough
ohwell.gif

Between Carlos Pena, Ryan Howard, and Prince Fielder, which of these standout 1B do you feel has the best chance of breaking out of their season long slump thefastest? I'm looking to make a trade
laugh.gif

I'm thinking Howard has the best shot because of the park he plays in, but Prince Fielder's stats are pretty similar to his stats last year around thistime so I'm thinking like last season, he'll break out anytime soon.

^ Prince.

Ryan Howard will hit a ton of HRs but he still strikes out too much and not putting the ball in play will cost him some RBIs. Prince has had 35+ doubles thepast two years so even when he's not hitting HRs, he's still a threat to hit the gap.

Carlos Pena is the type of guy who would hit 30+ HRs with a real low batting avg. Besides last yr, he has never hit above .250 in a full season so itwouldn't surprise me if his avg is the same at the end of the yr as it is now.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

^ I'd do the Hawpe for Matsui one... but I like Jair too. Who else do you have on your roster so you could pick up Micah?

My other pitchers are Hamels, Dice-K, Peavy, Volquez, and Marcum. RP's are Wagner, Wood, B.J. Ryan and Kobayashi.
So...I had both waivers going andgot em both....for my sake I hope Owings does well, and once Furcal comes back for the dodgers I'll prolly drop Pierre and re-pickup Jurjj-man.

Originally Posted by Paul Is On Tilt

My other pitchers are Hamels, Dice-K, Peavy, Volquez, and Marcum. RP's are Wagner, Wood, B.J. Ryan and Kobayashi.
So...I had both waivers going and got em both....for my sake I hope Owings does well, and once Furcal comes back for the dodgers I'll prolly drop Pierre and re-pickup Jurjj-man.

So when Furcal comes back, what role do you expect Pierre to take? He won't be the leadoff hitter anymore, would he?

When Furcal comes back, I still expect Pierre to bat 2nd...or they might even be flip-flopped. Pierre is hitting the ball too well right now to move down inthe lineup: 9 hits, 5 SB in his last 10...Andruw Jones won't continue to hit second, so I would imagine a Pierre-Furcal leadoff would be ideal for theDodgers.

Back
Top Bottom