..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

That was a great series for the Cubs. Good pitching, clutch hitting, nice work all around.

Look at the Central already with the closers stuff goin on. Stl and Mil already moved their first choices, Wood probably will get moved at some point forMarmol as well. 6 month game of chess.
laugh.gif

Alright lets keep it going tonight. Big Z with about 7 1/2 innings 3 hits 6 K's and 2 BB's. Gem of a game i hope.

38790902.jpg

Cubs Overpower Padres, Win 12-3

CHICAGO -- The Cubs are on a roll.
Alfonso Soriano hit a two-run homer, and Geovany Soto smacked a two-run single to highlight a six-run fifth inning and back Carlos Zambrano on Monday nightas the Cubs beat the San Diego Padres, 12-3, to win their fourth straight game.

Chicago, which leads the Major Leagues in runs scored with 223, improved to 19-1 when scoring four or more runs. And the Cubs did so on a night moreconducive to football. It was unseasonably cold at Wrigley Field, with a game-time temperature of 41, and it apparently took Zambrano (6-1) a couple innings torealize it. He started the game in short sleeves, then switched after the third to a long-sleeve top under his jersey.

The right-hander, off to the best start in his career, gave up six hits and walked two while striking out five over seven innings for his fifth straightwin.

Derrek Lee hit an RBI single in the Chicago first, and San Diego tied it in the second on Tadahito Iguchi's two-out RBI single. Jody Gerut then hit hisfirst homer since May 24, 2005, with two outs in the Padres' fifth for a 2-1 lead. The lead was shortlived.

The Cubs sent 10 batters to the plate in the fifth, and Zambrano, who loves to hit, got two at-bats. He doubled to open the inning, and Soriano followedwith his fourth homer off a 1-2 pitch from Randy Wolf (2-3) that landed in the front row of the bleachers in left-center. Theriot walked and advanced onLee's single before scoring on Aramis Ramirez's single to make it 4-2.

The Cubs weren't finished. Kosuke Fukudome walked to load the bases for Soto, who singled to center. Mark DeRosa added an RBI single for a 7-2 lead. Itwas Chicago's 11th come-from-behind win, and 15th win out of 21 at home.

The Cubs added five runs in the sixth. They loaded the bases against Sean Henn, who walked Fukudome to force in a run. One out later, DeRosa bounced theball to third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff, who was a step late getting the runner at third, then threw the ball away trying for the force at first. Three runsscored, two on the error, and Reed Johnson followed with an RBI single to make it 12-2.

Cardinals lose again.
happy.gif
Brewers win
frown.gif
Cubs still in 1st.
pimp.gif

That was a fun game to be at. Molina getting ejected was crazy, Braun with 2 dingers for the 2nd game in a row, 4 1.00 hot dogs, 3 out of 4 from the Cards.

Good job takin 3 outta 4 Brew Crew....................you can start losing again now. Thanks
smile.gif

We have been playing really crappy the last 2 series. Hopefully we can get our act together. Seeing the Cubs in 1st place is downright sickening.

^^ is Pujols looking up at the first place cubs in that pic? Man i was at wrigley for last nights game, that $#*# was fun!! nothing like bleacher seats atwrigley! GO CUBS!!

Originally Posted by CurtisCarter23

^^ is Pujols looking up at the first place cubs in that pic?

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Say it with me ya'll, we tied for best record in baseball

Well, at least for today.
tongue.gif

Good game by Z last night, let's keep it going tonight, because we see Peavy tomorrow night.
sick.gif

I have faith in the cubs bats. we went on a bad streak of losing series and we STILL are tied for the best record in baseball. not too shabby i say. Looks likealfonso may be warming up, everyone knows he goes on month long rips and just hits like an animal, hopefully he is getting started on one of those.
lets make it 5 in a row tonight.

Originally Posted by tylerdub

I have faith in the cubs bats. we went on a bad streak of losing series and we STILL are tied for the best record in baseball. not too shabby i say. Looks like alfonso may be warming up, everyone knows he goes on month long rips and just hits like an animal, hopefully he is getting started on one of those.
lets make it 5 in a row tonight.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
!!!! I knew he was coming around! he was hittin little bloops, when he wasnthittin bloops he was hittin rockets, even if some of them were for outs its still a good sign.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

We have been playing really crappy the last 2 series. Hopefully we can get our act together. Seeing the Cubs in 1st place is great to see.

Fixed it for ya FirstBorn.
smokin.gif
tongue.gif
laugh.gif

Was at the game yesterday when we opened up a whoopass to the Fathers. *** cold day. Wind was blowing straight in from the lake and straight to our faces.

img00329js2.jpg

img00332bv5.jpg

img00339pr4.jpg

^
That is such a beautiful place to watch a game. No better stadium in the game imo.
pimp.gif

I hope it never gets torn down. You never know these days.

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
That is such a beautiful place to watch a game. No better stadium in the game imo.
pimp.gif

Wasn't there parts of concrete collapsing last season? I remember zodogg posting an article in last seasons thread. I have yet made a trip to Wrigley,have to see it one day soon.

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

CP1708 wrote:
^
pimp.gif

Wasn't there parts of concrete collapsing last season? I remember zodogg posting an article in last seasons thread. I have yet made a trip to Wrigley, have to see it one day soon.

I know they have reworked a ton of the bricks and what not, plus added a bunch of different seats and what not. But now that you mention it, I think Ido remember something about a couple pieces from an awning or something like that. I can't remember though.

Seems like they keep remodeling to keep it as up to date as possible, and make improvements, but without looking to tear it all down. But with a saleimminent, ya never know.

Originally Posted by CP1708

^
pimp.gif

as long as the City of Chicago keeps its landmark status on Wrigley Field, it aint going anywhere.

Meaning they'll never tear it down, but when our grandkids are born, possibly the Cubs could be playing in the 'Burbs. Just a possibility.

And I believe the falling concrete incident happened in '04. However, the nets are still in place.
The Reds batted out of order in the ninth Sunday, with backup catcher David Ross erroneously hitting in the No. 8 hole instead of ex-Cub pariah Corey Patterson.

"The guys hit out of order, and it's my job to catch that," Baker said. "So I take full responsibility."

Atta boy Dusty. Way to show them how to manage error free. In Dusty we Trusty.
roll.gif

I'm being cautiously optimistic here, our offense is doing great but is still really feast or famine. We score 12 and then the next day 2; it's alwayslike that. And we have been horrible on the road, if we plan on pulling away in this division we gotta start winning on the road.

I just wish we would be more consistent offensively. But hey, I'm always happy when the Cubbies are in 1st.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Wildcat gonna need a couple drinks,
Jeff Kepinger fouled a ball off and broke his knee cap (ouch)

smh.gif
man, you don't even know. like i said in thebaseball post, Alex Gonzalez still ain't close to getting back. we're losing a hot bat, a guy who puts the ball in play, and a very, very soliddefensive player. we don't have a SS. maybe we'll call up Jay Bruce and Jerry Hairston will play SS.
sick.gif
Maybe move BP over and have Freel and Hairston split time at second, i don'tknow...

Terrible loss last night.
smh.gif

You can't give up a 3 - 0 lead when you know that Peavy is on deck. Most likely we get beat tonight and we can't afford to be giving away games.

But I am glad to see Soriano waking up, that's a great sign.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom