OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

broxton sketches me out sometimes but i can live with it as long as the dude can throw an off speed pitch ONCE in a while.

i was probably the only dodger fan that didnt like saito at all. he did a good job but i never felt confident about the guy coming in a game.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Kuo won set-up man of the year, and you don't like him. Why?

I see what you're saying with Broxton and him getting a little nervous, I notice it too. The thing about it is that he has never been a closer, so you have to give him time, in the same way we have to deal with growing pains with all of our youngsters (control with Bills, Ks with Kemp). He strikes me as a kid who gets caught up in the moment in big situations at some points, not a kid with some huge mental block that will haunt him like he's Rick Ankiel.

The other thing you have to understand is that even if he is a nervous wreck, there are going to be so many times as a closer where he goes in to face 7-8-9 or basically any part of a lineup that isn't 2-3-4 and he's going to have an easy time.

It's not about stats at all, the guy has been great minus a few occasions, and was very good in the playoffs this past year. There are a few things to worry about for this squad, if Kemp, Ethier, Loney and Martin can take that next step up, if Furcal and Hudson can stay healthy, the 5th starter and even middle relief. The back of the bullpen is pretty strong, we have the 27 year old set-up man of the year and a 24 year old with 3 good seasons under his belt and a 99 mph fastball who can hopefully be the closer for years to come.

I never said I didn't like Kuo. What I have said is we cannot depend on Kuo due to his durability issues - we cannot go into the season and expect him tobe the setup man because he's an injury away from retiring.

I really hope Cory Wade has really upped his game, I'm expecting big things form the dude.

I get what you're saying on give him time like the other guys, but I'm so sick like the rest of you guys not having that championship in Los Angeles.We were so close last year, SO CLOSE!

It's time for everyone to step up and put Dodger Baseball back on the map as a championship team.

Another concern I've brought up about Broxton, not only about his maturity, but how he NEEDS an off-speed pitch. All successful closers (ie. marianorivera, takashi saito, krod, trevor hoffman) and even Gagne who was known for his heater - but once he learned that killer curve ball dude was LIGHTS OUT!

There's no way he can be our closer depending on that fastball, he doesn't change the eye level of the hitters and doesn't fool anyone.

Yo IYN you end up going to the ravine to find tix?

got some late minute tickets on craigslist. paid 40 bucks to watch the US play like it was an exhibition game.
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
craigslist is money last minute.

btw, i know youre from the IE - theyre opening up a king taco in ontario
nerd.gif

but the best tacos ever: taco del rio, la puente
smokin.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif
i got the new espn mag in the mail today and manny is on the cover. in thearticle it says he told russell branyan (when they were both with cleveland) "youve got to put 70% of your weight on your back foot and 40% of your weighton your front foot."
laugh.gif

the article compares him, vlady, arod, and pujols' swings on some high tech program/computer

and that he shows up at 10 am to dodger stadium for night games
eek.gif

^ Manny
pimp.gif
laugh.gif

The thing that had me rolling for a while was when I read he was in full uniform at like 6 a.m. lifting weights. Dude is out there sometimes. I saw what"fantasy" experts predicted from dude earlier today and it was something like .317 / 32 HR / 108 RBI's. I know those are all just talk but justthought I'd share.

As for the bullpen topic. I think this year we may be able to get away with some of the "issues" that we have. This team looks like our offensewill be our strongest aspect of the team.. as opposed to past Dodger teams whose strength, traditionally, has been pitching and it was relied upon heavily. With the combinations of Mota, Troncoso, McDonald, Wade, Kuo, and Broxton I think we should be fairly solid. I mean, maybe we can improve it somehow duringthe season via trade (Pierre
nerd.gif
) and pick up something.

i want to get an authentic jersey, but with all these dudes having 1 or 2 year contracts, spending 200 on a jersey just doesnt seem like a smart thing to do
Yeah, but with free agency and trades there is only a small percentage of players that stay with their original team.

Go on ebay they have authentic's any where from 40 to 60 bills. Then add your number and last name, for like 40 dollars. I think Dodger stadium charges 60dollars.

Thinking of getting another personalized jersey. Im going with players I saw play as a kid.

Piazza, Karros, Butler, Mondesi would be my choices.

and that he shows up at 10 am to dodger stadium for night games
eek.gif

That's how you become one of the most prolific hitters of a generation.
pimp.gif

Thinking of getting another personalized jersey. Im going with players I saw play as a kid.

Piazza, Karros, Butler, Mondesi would be my choices.
MLB.com or stadium team shops won't do that.

MLB.com or stadium team shops won't do that.
MLB won't. But other companies will.

I think 562 has mention a company, I had my Valenzuela done with a company the closed down already.

brett butler was a g
pimp.gif

heads up, i was listening to power this morning and they said sunday at the ravine on the top deck come decked out in dodger gear and theyre gonnna be filmingsome commercials.

sounds like fun, but ill be lazy.

Y'all stole the Dodgers from Brooklyn.

Y'all stole Manny from NY.

Y'all had stupid !+#, fist-pumping Kirk Gibson beat my beloved Mets.

The Dodgers irk me.......

i would stay away from the strawberry jersey anyway.

everytime i wear mine i get ridiculed by at least 5 people.
laugh.gif

wish we had a staple dodger.
eek.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry, I kind of had to laugh at that statement. There's this one guy on the team, who is already been an All Star twice, has one Gold Glove and a SilverSlugger award. He is also regarded as one of the best at his position. He is also under the Dodgers control until 2012, and the front office loves him.

dodgers_philles05d1_300.jpg

There is another guy, under the age of 25, with potential to be a 40/40 player, under Dodger control until 2013:

fantasy_u_mkemp_300.jpg

There is another guy, who will be this generations Steve Garvey, a cornerstone at first base:

loneydinger.jpg

Finally, one of my favorite Dodger and next jersey purchase:

furcal.jpg

There are other options as well (Ethier, Bills, Kershaw).

Y'all stole the Dodgers from Brooklyn.
Brooklyn let the Dodgers slip away, I am glad they did
smokin.gif

Y'all stole Manny from NY.
Actually Boston stole Manny from NY in 2000, they just gift wrapped him and sent him our way.
smokin.gif

Y'all had stupid !+#, fist-pumping Kirk Gibson beat my beloved Mets.
As much love as Gibby gets, we would have never won the World Series if it wasn't for '88 NLCS MVP:

Orel-Hershiser.jpg

His Game 7 Shutout,
smokin.gif

I know M&N just released a Gibson jersey with the `88 World Series Patch. I want them to drop the road Hershiser, won't hesitate to pull the trigger.

bBUckuVL.jpg

1031_large.jpg

It has to be done right though:

1912802317_adb73f0cdd.jpg

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

wish we had a staple dodger.
eek.gif

laugh.gif

Sorry, I kind of had to laugh at that statement.

well eventhough theyre locked up for a few years....that doesnt mean theyll all be there for a few years
ohwell.gif

i kinda agree with his staple dodger statement because....there were rumors at the end of last year of martin gettin traded or them opening up talks. like isaid rumor, but that had me
grin.gif
when i heard it. and i think rumorsof him either not being happy here, or wanting out, or a long term deal and mad he wasnt getting it. i dont remember
matt kemp was talked about a lot last year too. moreso with other teams wanting him as part of a trade. his name was brought up all year. i think i heard itwith the jake peavy rumors this offseason.
loney has been pretty quiet.
furcal...was this close <-> from leaving
and no matter what an organization says...its a business, and ANY player can pretty much be traded, regardless what an owner/gm has promised in the past

IRONMAN....wheres our pm?
nerd.gif

well eventhough theyre locked up for a few years....that doesnt mean theyll all be there for a few years
ohwell.gif

i kinda agree with his staple dodger statement because....there were rumors at the end of last year of martin gettin traded or them opening up talks. like i said rumor, but that had me
grin.gif
when i heard it. and i think rumors of him either not being happy here, or wanting out, or a long term deal and mad he wasnt getting it. i dont remember
matt kemp was talked about a lot last year too. moreso with other teams wanting him as part of a trade. his name was brought up all year. i think i heard it with the jake peavy rumors this offseason.
loney has been pretty quiet.
furcal...was this close <-> from leaving
and no matter what an organization says...its a business, and ANY player can pretty much be traded, regardless what an owner/gm has promised in the past
Ahhh, the rumors. Where do they start? By who?

You can't really buy into them.

The only way Martin gets traded is if he has a meeting with Frank and Jamie McCourt, goes up to Jamie, pulls up her dress and does her in front of Frankie. Itisn't going to happen. These guys are going to be the faces of the franchise. On the plus side, for ownership, is that they are cheap until 2012-13.

Just because teams want them, doesn't mean the Dodgers are going to part with them. Those rumored Cano for Kemp deals (
laugh.gif
) were probably just a figment of Ken Rosenthal's imagination. A fantasyscenario, since the deal heavily favors the Yankees and does nothing for the team he loathes. The Dodgers never had interest in Jake Peavy, although Peavy hadinterest in the Dodgers. We are an NL team, and in the West Coast. The Padres were not going to let Peavy go to a division rival, on top of that us withoutasking for a ton of talent. Naturally, they ask for all the "prospects" that have already had some success in the Majors.

As these guys get established, teams will stop asking. The Red Sox wanted Matt Kemp for Manny, Dodgers said no. The Red Sox wanted Loney/Ethier for Manny,Dodgers said no. It wasn't until the Pirates got involved and gave them Jason Bay, that the deal got consumated. We only gave up Andy La Roche.

Bottom line is other teams want these kids, but the Dodgers are reluctant to give them up. It has been the case for the past 2-3 years, the message is clear,it is safe to pick up their jersey if you want it. By the time they are gone, if they ever leave, it will be time to buy a new jersey anyway.

I somewhat agree with this statement. However, teams rarely deal players that are under their control. They usually deal franchise type playerswhen their arbitration years are exhausted and they fear losing that player to free agency. Let's not talk about Pedro Martinez,
eyes.gif
. Mike Piazza was a good example. Shortly after Piazza rejected Fox'sextension proposal, he was dealt
smh.gif

As for the PM,
nerd.gif
. It will be a quickstrike
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom