OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

Bills > Padilla and Garland by a wide margin.
laugh.gif
told you bout that wide margin buddy.

Torre doesn't seem too confident in Bills right now.

Padilla should come out firing game 3, them narcs gonna be comin out strong in St Louis.
pimp.gif

[h3]Padilla gets Game 3 nod for Dodgers[/h3]Torre to start Belliard at second base ahead of Hudson

LOS ANGELES -- In-season additions Ronnie Belliard and Vicente Padilla will start for the Dodgers ahead of All-Stars Orlando Hudson and Chad Billingsley in the best-of-five National League Division Series, which opens Wednesday at 6:37 p.m. PT against the Cardinals.

Manager Joe Torre said he chose Belliard, who hit .351 with five homers and 17 RBIs in 24 games with the Dodgers, ahead of Hudson because Belliard offensively is "maybe a little fresher."

Padilla will be the starting pitcher for Game 3 of the series, following Randy Wolf and Clayton Kershaw, with Billingsley penciled in for Game 4 and Jon Garland moved to the bullpen. Padilla is 4-0 with a 3.20 ERA and he struck out 10 in five innings against the Rockies on Sunday to secure his spot.

"I'm really happy. I'm grateful for the opportunity," said Padilla, signed by the Dodgers after being released by Texas amid criticism for his attitude. "It feels good to know they have confidence in me in this game. This is a second life that I have been given and I'm grateful for it."

Billingsley, although the club's leading winner with 12, spent much of September fixing a mechanical flaw and Monday pitching a simulated game to instructional league hitters in Arizona.

"Padilla, to me, has been throwing the ball really well," Torre said, "and I know Billingsley is getting there, otherwise he wouldn't even be considered for No. 4 if I didn't think I was more comfortable watching him."

Belliard said he ran the bases in a Monday workout and believes he will be close to 100 percent recovered from a left groin strain suffered 11 days ago.

"We'll go day to day right now against [Cardinals Game 1 starter Chris Carpenter], and we'll see what we have," said Torre. "We asked O-Dog to do a lot of stuff early in the year and he played his tail off and he continues to do that. But it was just a decision I decided to make."

Hudson took the high road, saying he saw the writing on the wall as he lost playing time to Belliard in September.

"You have to brush it off, that's all you can do," he said. "I can't get angry."

The 25-man roster is not required to be submitted until Wednesday morning, but it appears virtually set. Torre notified Jeff Weaver that he would be active as a situational right-hander to give St. Louis hitters a different look, with Garland serving as long reliever.

Among those apparently left off the pitching staff are right-handed relievers Guillermo Mota and James McDonald and left-hander Scott Elbert. Elbert was sent to Arizona to stay sharp in instructional league games.

Torre wants the left-handed power threat of Jim Thome, even though he can't run or play defense because of injuries. Mark Loretta, who can play both corner infield positions and bats right-handed, apparently had the edge for the final bench spot over Doug Mientkiewicz, who hits left-handed and is limited to first base. Position players Blake DeWitt and Jason Repko will not be active and are already in Arizona working out.

So, the roster likely will be starting pitchers Wolf, Kershaw, Padilla and Billingsley; relievers Jonathan Broxton, George Sherrill, Hong-Chih Kuo, Ronald Belisario, Ramon Troncoso, Garland and Weaver; outfielders Manny Ramirez, Matt Kemp, Andre Ethier and Juan Pierre; and infielders James Loney, Rafael Furcal, Casey Blake, Juan Castro, Thome, Belliard, Hudson and Loretta; and catchers Russell Martin and Brad Ausmus.

If that holds up, all five in-season acquisitions -- Sherrill, Belliard, Padilla, Garland and Thome -- will be on the postseason roster.

Torre's Game 1 lineup: Furcal (shortstop), Kemp (center field), Ethier (right field), Ramirez (left field), Loney (first base), Blake (third base), Belliard (second base), Martin (catcher) and Wolf.

Torre said he saw good signs from Ramirez in Saturday night's NL West clincher, including an RBI single, after his four-strikeout nightmare Friday night.

"He understands his responsibility here and he tries to get too big and really it affects his balance," said Torre. "I was a lot more comfortable with what I saw Saturday. And he seems to be in a good frame of mind. So, again, he's been down this road before as far as postseason and I expect him to show up for sure."

Torre said the club was boosted by the appearance of Hiroki Kuroda on the field Tuesday, playing catch for the first time since he was diagnosed with a herniated disk in his neck. Kuroda was scratched from the Division Series, but Torre said the club was optimistic that Kuroda would be available if the Dodgers advance to the NL Championship Series.

Kuroda said the "excruciating" pain he experienced last week had improved to "muscle tightness, similar to what I had after I got hit" in the head with a line drive on Aug. 15.

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Sorry JMAC, this is the case of Torre going with experience over youth.

Weaver was solid in the first half the season then tailed off in the second, but Weaver has been here before.

Good job blondie, loving the roster and O-Dog is one cool dude
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by bright nikes

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

IronMan, I haven't been around the past week, so maybe this had been addressed/answered, but do you happen to know how strict/lenient they'll be on the drinking?
#%!% it, just gonna drink in the whip.

eyes.gif

Yeah, they're gonna be strict bro.

Supposedly give you a ticket even if they see you drinking liquor out of a cup.

So be safe and don't get caught up, don't chug cause you'll get too hammered
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
eyes.gif
i might hit up the park outside beforehand if im earlyenuff

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

laugh.gif
eyes.gif
i might hit up the park outside beforehand if im early enuff
People get to that park since the morning, they have some mariachi last year, kabc and other stuff.

Originally Posted by CincoSeisDos

Bro if you need game 2 tickets get at me.
i was just about to pm you when i saw the start time.
sick.gif

what is going on here? I won't even be outa class til 5
smh.gif

good looking out though man.

Hey Luis where are you watching the double header on Saturday? The dodger one starts 3 and the US one at 7.

I see this thread will stay open until the conclusion of the season,
smokin.gif

I will post this in the series thread as well. First of all, just to clear some things up. They DO NOT hand out tickets if they catch you drinking in theparking lot. They give you a written warning, they log your name and your license plate. If they catch you drinking again, they will tell you to leave,that's it. No ticket. However, they can give you a ticket since LAPD is patroling, so if you give the Security Guards (sworn LAPD officers that are offduty) any lip, they will call their buddies on the bike and they will site you.

As far as the 3pm start on Wedneseday,
eyes.gif
. It doesn't make senseat all.

It would be more convenient for us to have that slot both days.

The Yankees would have a 6pm start time for both their games (Eastern Time). Instead they have a 6pm start and a 9pm start, wasn't MLB/Fox/TBS tryingto avoid late starts by East Coast teams.

Just think, imagine if one of our games at Dodger Stadium had a 9pm start....
laugh.gif

I could see the ratings argument, but still a game with a 9pm start time must suck.

I am very confident in this team. It will be a very interesting series, and I kind of like the fact that all the "experts" and talking heads aregiving this series to the Cards.

"Dang someone died at the ravine today?

In the press boxes?"

Yeah, that sucks. He had a massive heart attack. Story is on SI. He was a vendor, and just passed in the dining area of the press box.
tired.gif
RIP.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I will post this in the series thread as well. First of all, just to clear some things up. They DO NOT hand out tickets if they catch you drinking in the parking lot. They give you a written warning, they log your name and your license plate. If they catch you drinking again, they will tell you to leave, that's it. No ticket.

sounds good. ill make sure i only drink in front of my friends car then.

and if the dodgers games had a 9pm start i wouldnt want to imagine how smashed the crowd would be. 2 extra hours to drink before coming to the game would be aterrible idea.

IronMan does it make any difference if your drink is in a cup as opposed to just an open beer can/bottle?
last year they didnt sweat those with a cup at all, only the ones with an actual can

Originally Posted by amarusgear

Hey Luis where are you watching the double header on Saturday? The dodger one starts 3 and the US one at 7.
Not sure. A bar called OCP across the street from Home Depot Center will be showing the US game with alot of US fans. That's the only placeshowing it in English so I'm thinking of going there for sure. There's Honduran bars but I don't know if I wana go to one of those. (remember gameis ppv)

For the Dodger game I was thinking ESPN zone in downtown LA but I have no idea how packed that's gonna be. Do you know of any other spots? I don't knowLA bars that well.

You should go to OCP for sure though, gonna be a bunch of people.

Garland deal complete

The Dodgers completed their August trade for Jon Garland by sending infield prospect Tony Abreu to the Arizona Diamondbacks.

The deal wasn't finalized until Friday because of an unsettled grievance the players' union filed against the Dodgers on behalf of Abreu. At stake were 47 days Abreu spent in the minors in 2007 -- days the union argued should count as major league service time because Abreu was demoted when he was injured, something that is against major league rules.

The Diamondbacks had been unaware of the grievance, which, if won by Abreu, could have made him eligible for salary arbitration as early as the end of the 2010 season.

But Arizona's concerns about the situation were alleviated when Abreu settled for 30 days of service time and an undisclosed payment. The terms of the settlement made it likely that Abreu won't be arbitration-eligible until after the 2011 season.
Buena suerte Tony. See you in the winter leagues

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dodgerthoughts/2009/10/day-game-for-friday.html[/h1]
[h1]Day game for Friday?[/h1]
October 11, 2009 | 8:10 am

Dodger Thoughts commenter BHSportsguy pointed out in an e-mail that there's a very good chance Friday's Game 2 of the National League Division Championship Series at Dodger Stadium will have a 1:35 p.m. start.

Thursday's Game 1 would start at 5:22 p.m.

Again, these aren't official times, but educated guesses.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

This is going to +@!+ me up with work
smh.gif

I just read that 562
indifferent.gif

This @%#% ain't cool man, I understand why they're doing it but what part of the game is having HFA when we have games when a majority of SouthernCalifornia is at work
grin.gif

Anyways, when do you guys think I should make an NLCS thread?

I mean think about it, let's say it's the ROX who make it through.

WHY the +%*@ do they need to cater to the people who aren't even in the area market for either squads?

That's @#**%%* ******ed

I just hope that's just someone talking outta their *%%, a Friday game wouldn't be right unless the sun sets.

How do you guys feel about the 5 4 game layoff?

Not worried one bit about it because the grind of the season takes it toll sooner or later, so this rest could really help out the 'pens arms.

A little concerned about Troncoso, Garland and them not being able to pitch ... I wonder if Torre is gonna keep the roster how it is.

I wouldn't be opposed to taking Thome off and putting Mienkevitz, just a hunch.

But this roster has gotten us here, no need to change anything.

I hope ESPN or "experts" keep picking against us, unfinished business fellas.

Btw, PMAC just saw what happened to your wildcats
laugh.gif
sick.gif

indifferent.gif

I think we should find a way for Elbert to be on the roster if we face Philly. 3 lefties would be great.

I still think Thome has a HR in him, Mientkiewicz would only replace Loretta IMO.

T.J. SIMERS
[h1]With Joe Torre's fingers on pulse, Dodgers are all heart[/h1] [h2]
[/h2] [h2]Dodgers manager is pushing all the right buttons, and the players rewarded his faith in them by sweeping the Cardinals in NL division series.[/h2]
By T.J. Simers
October 11, 2009

Joe Torre, soaked with champagne and satisfaction, walked hand-in-hand with his wife from interview room to Dodgers clubhouse, so many experiences already in the baseball bank.

What's one more? Well, everything. This is why he gave it another run after a disappointing finish in New York, why he travels from city to city, 162 games in 180 days at age 69, still amazed at what young people can do when given the opportunity and a little direction.

"Different contributions," he says, and he says it over and over as he shakes off the champagne chill, the reward for sweeping the Cardinals in the NL division series.

He's still talking about Casey Blake's amazing at-bat in Game 2, Manny Ramirez coming up huge with two out not once but twice in Game 3, "this amazing kid here" in Andre Ethier, and Vicente Padilla living up to the faith Torre has put in him.

Padilla, maybe as far away as anyone can get from Clemens, Mussina and Pettitte, comes to the Dodgers a certified loser, and goes 4-0 down the regular-season stretch and adds seven shutout innings Saturday against the Cardinals.

"I thank God that Joe Torre gave me this opportunity," says Padilla, dumped by a playoff-contending Texas team in need of pitching at the time. "This has been the best thing to happen to me all my life."

The Dodgers are the only team that began these playoffs without a true No. 1 pitcher, their once-upon-a-time ace, Chad Billingsley, yet to throw a pitch, and they are now the first team to move on to the next round.

Four more wins and Torre might get a fantasy return visit to Yankee Stadium, or maybe a short trip down the I-5 to Anaheim where he once worked as a broadcaster.

"Whatever happens next," he says, "I can tell you this about these guys, they fear nothing."

What's to fear? The left fielder for the other team will drop the ball if there's any chance whatsoever the Dodgers might lose.

"We got a break," Torre says, the short series swinging on Matt Holliday's error, "and the guys got excited about it and really stepped up."

More than that, they never let up on the Cardinals, who had the white-towel-waving home fans behind them and the realization Chris Carpenter would be ready to pitch Game 4, and Adam Wainwright in Game 5.

Who knew the Dodgers had a killer instinct after watching them the final two weeks of the season?

Who cares what happens down the stretch in the years to come, everything a new ballgame once the playoffs start -- as we know now?

Who thought Ramirez would ever get another hit?

Ramirez drives in the first run in the first inning with a first-pitch, line-drive double, Ethier hits a booming two-run homer toward the Arch in the third and Ramirez follows with yet another smash double.

Ramirez goes three for five, Rafael Furcal has two more hits and the bullpen quells any Cardinals uprising. Different contributions, as Torre says.

Torre, already the manager with the most wins in post-season history, now has 83 and the home-field edge going into the league championship series against either Colorado or Philadelphia.

"I came to the realization in August there was no predicting how these guys might do," Torre says, "but when they show up to play, they are really something."

His final three years with the Yankees, Torre could never get them past the first round of the playoffs.

But here he is two years on the job with the Dodgers, who had their own playoff horror stories, and his wunderkinds have swept the Cubs and now the Cardinals.

"We've still got a long ways to go," says Larry Bowa, the Dodgers' designated killjoy.

Maybe so, the road still going to take a rough turn through either Philadelphia or Denver, but one more Angels victory and we're that much closer to the Dodgers ending the Angels' season.

THE KINGS played here Saturday, just down the road from the Dodgers. Yeah, I didn't care either.

THE CARDINALS scored one run against the Dodgers. It will be interesting to see now whether the Rams can score more against the Vikings.

BEFORE THE game, the Cardinals' Mark DeRosa was saying, "There's no tomorrow." Won't he be in for a shock today when he wakes up.

IT BECAME apparent recently the Dentist was missing, the Dodgers' image maker hired to replace the Tipper Gore Lady, who had been hired to replace Derrick Hall in an effort to make the McCourts look good. And you think your job is tough.

Dr. Charles Steinberg was not at the two playoff games in L.A., and for those holding hands over ears, it was pretty apparent someone else was calling the shots in regard to the music being played in Dodger Stadium.

Insiders say Steinberg lost ground when the McCourts fell for Dennis Mannion, hired as COO.

An anonymous e-mailer said that Steinberg irritated one of Mannion's hires, CFO Michael Young, when he invited the USC marching band to Dodger Stadium to perform and then billed the team for lunches given to the band members.

The Dodgers refused to make Young available even though some folks might be left with the suggestion the Dodgers are cheap.

The Dodgers would only say, "Dr. Charles Steinberg is not available. However, the Dodgers have granted Charles permission to entertain offers from other Major League Baseball clubs and he is currently doing so."

Looks like they're going to need a new image maker.

PLASCHKE, ALREADY the AP's national sports columnist of the year four times, missed Saturday's Dodgers game to return to his alma mater, Southern Illinois University Edwardsville, to be honored yet again.

Obviously, I'll never have a reason to miss a game.

Man, Simers is hilarious
laugh.gif

I'll admit, back in HS I wouldn't read the LAT because he was mr.negativity, strictly Press Telegram for me

I guess he's grown on me as i've gotten older

Back
Top Bottom