***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

man, i wish i knew what to expect outta the Reds...but we're so young.

pitching should be solid, real solid. you know what you're gonna get out of Arroyo...13-17 wins, 200 innings. Volquez and Cueto, you would think havegotten better. i really think Harang bounces back, he's pitched well in ST so far. Bailey and Owings are both pitching very good right now, competeingfor that 5th spot.

we don't have too many proven position guys tho. but the way Votto ended last season, and the way he's been playing this spring, i really thinkhe's gonna have a big year.

can't wait.
pimp.gif

we should compile lists of people that are fans of each team so we know who to direct our comments to after every game

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

we should compile lists of people that are fans of each team so we know who to direct our comments to after every game
You not thinkin of sendin out PM's like W4L are you?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

You not thinkin of sendin out PM's like W4L are you?
laugh.gif
So I wasn't the only one huh?
roll.gif

I don't like using the ignore feature. I want to see what "haters" are saying about me or my team.....dumb as it may be.

W4L is more than a hater, dude is like a virus on your cpu. I have a feeling he is the type of guy who stays quite out in the real world and comes in heretalking reckless. I mean come on guys, he reps Wisconsin.
roll.gif

Im not sending PM's like W4L
laugh.gif
just good to know who is on what side cause there are some random people that come in here talk reckless
laugh.gif

and

Pudge expected to sign with Astros
Free-agent catcher to take physical after he's finished with Classic

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Roy Oswalt passed Pudge Rodriguez at Dolphin Stadium in Miami, Fla., where both are participating in the World Baseball Classic.

"Hey, teammate," Rodriguez said to Oswalt.

"I guess I was one of the first to find out," Oswalt laughed.

The 37-year-old Rodriguez is expected to sign with the Astros, pending a physical exam that will be taken upon the completion of Puerto Rico's participation in the World Baseball Classic.

"Houston's team needs a catcher," Rodriguez told reporters at Dolphin Stadium. "I'm ready to play."

General manager Ed Wade would only confirm that he has re-engaged agent Scott Boras, approximately two months since the last time the two had talked about the free-agent catcher.

"He reached out to us a few days ago and he and I had a discussion," Wade said. "We're still in the discussion phase. The fact of the matter is that where we were with the economic situation two months ago, we couldn't get a deal done. But in the last few days, we see there is a possibility to get something done."

In essence, playing time is an important part of the negotiations. The Astros are likely not offering the most money, but they can offer a No. 1 catching job, which other teams have apparently been hesitant to do.

The contract will be for one year at $1.5 million with another $1.5 million possible in incentive bonuses.

Oswalt, the staff ace and one of the longest-tenured Astros, is thrilled that the All-Star catcher is moving behind the plate at Minute Maid Park.

"I think it's good," Oswalt said. "He has a lot of experience, he's been about the league and he knows the hitters. It'll be a big boost to the pitching staff."

Rodriguez's offensive numbers dropped last year after he was traded from Detroit to the Yankees, batting just .219 over that two-month stretch, but to Oswalt, a catcher's most important contributions are made while crouching behind the plate, not standing in against an opposing pitcher. For that reason, Oswalt enthusiastically welcomes Rodriguez to the team.

"That's the No. 1 job for a catcher -- defense," he said. "Offensive numbers are a plus, but the main thing is how well you work with pitchers. But it's going to help us, having another bat in the lineup, and it'll also some of the younger pitchers."

Humberto Quintero is currently considered the incumbent No. 1 catcher, but the Astros privately have not been sold on having him fill that role.

Rodriguez, a 14-time All-Star in 18 Major League seasons, is 9-for-15 with two homers in four Classic games, and was named Most Valuable Player of Pool D, part of the first round played in San Juan. Puerto Rico, which takes on Venezuela tonight in Miami, is 4-0 in the tournament.

Rodriguez finished last season with the Yankees after 4 1/2 seasons with the Tigers, one with the Marlins and 12 with the Rangers.

Alyson Footer is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I'm still getting over the fact that Paul Bako is our backup catcher........ughhhh

Originally Posted by arstyle27

I'm still getting over the fact that Paul Bako is our backup catcher........ughhhh
Bako may be the backup but Koyie Hill has got to be making him feel the heat.
EDIT
After doing some research I have become aware that Koyie hills AVG was an astounding .161 last season. So let me change my original sentence. I wish Koyie Hillwas making Bako feel the heat.

The Astros are "on the verge of signing" Pedro Martinez, according to Baseball Prospectus.
The Astros don't figure to be contenders this season, but their quest for two future Hall of Famers in one week indicates delusions of grandeur. Still, even as a shadow of his former self, Pedro would slot in nicely with Wandy Rodriguez behind Roy Oswalt. More importantly, it would push Brian Moehler and Mike Hampton down the rotational pecking order.

Damn, Astos doin smart moves with these vets. But I don't think those guys can last for 6 months plus a postseason. But that'll be interesting ifthey get Pete.

I swar one of you guys creates those SN's and then says stupid sh*^ like "this is the year" just so you can post the same pics year after year.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

I swar one of you guys creates those SN's and then says stupid sh*^ like "this is the year" just so you can post the same pics year after year.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
it actually makes perfect sense.

arstyle27 wrote:
CP1708 wrote:
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
it actually makes perfect sense.

Well I can speak for myself, I'd never create an alternative sn just to make jokes. I honestly believe there are lurkers who aren't regulars in S &T and they just chime in. Last season's thread was filled with all types of Cubs fans I have never seen before.

Back
Top Bottom