***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

Why is Milton getting so much hate when Carlos Zambrano the supposed ace of the Cubs won't do a couple sit ups in the offseason to stay in shape?

laugh.gif

Rickett's better clean house with Crane Kenny, Lou Pinella, and Jim Hendry to show the fans that the loser mentality culture is changing
I think Crane kenny will stay for at least another year. I think Hendry will stay because he has a 3 year contract and I think Lou will be aroundtoo. sigh.

I dont know why Z gets a pass. He could be one of the best pitchers in baseball if he would totally commit himself.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

But i didnt see any mention of Soriano hitting under .250 for the year and he hasnt been hurt.
Actually, he has been hurt. He had an MRI this past weekend. He just got a cortisone shot in his left knee.

I'm with Arstyle. Milton doesn't put up the #s he should as a 3 yr/$30 mil dude....then blames the media/race card/fans/etc. Fatso Z blamesmechanics, but its everything wrong with that guy.

Looks like Harden is not headed to Minnesota. It all but assures that he will walk at the end of this season anyways.

I hate it. Simply hate it. I wish it was a situation like an NBA team where we knew we had a bunch of expiring contracts for next year, but thats not thecase. We are stuck with so many bad contracts because long term deals are what we needed to sign these underachieving bums. Fukudome, Soriano, Bradley,Zambrano, Dempster, Gregg. I hate em all.

Mistakes are numerous this season.

We ran away with the NL last year, and then sucked in a 3 game series. Everyone panicked and started making panic moves.

Getting rid of Marquis, a 200 inning 12-13 wins type guy, DeRosa, a 20 homerun 80 rbi guy that can play 5 positions, Wood, our one time face of the franchise,glue guy, 30 saves guy, ALL so we could land Milton Bradley, a guy who just gets on base a lot. Add in Kevin Gregg to replace Wood for God knows what reason. Z and Sori flat out STEALING money from us, and then the just plain ol dumb use of 6 feet and under little tiny white guys in Miles, Theriot, Fontenot, ReedJohnson, Jake Fox, and on and on and on. (Mind you, Fox has been a nice addition, he's performed well, along with Wells, our only bright spots.)
Add to that the absolutely pathetic showing in going after Jake Peavy and not wanting to deal any minor league nobodies, and what have those minor leaguersdone for us this season when we could have added an ace to the team?
sick.gif

Factor in a huge drop off from Soto, an injury that straight killed us in Aramis, and you have an all out failure. Lilly, Dempster, and Harden all took turnsmissing starts, something you knew would happen as they were ALL pretty healthy last season and it is damn hard to keep an entire rotation healthy for 2straight years. Yet another reason having Peavy or Marquis woulda been a bright idea.
Fuku and Lee have been the only guys from last year who were able to at least live up to what we had hoped for from them. They have done exactly what we couldhave asked, and if all these other guys would have done their jobs, then we would be fine. But that isn't the case.

So this is what better happen, after winning 97 games and then for some stupid reason semi re-building parts of the club, they had BETTER NOT go out like this,and then just tinker a little for next year. So help me if they do that. No, NOW they need to overhaul some of this mess. Be gone with Bradley. Maybe evenmove Sori and Z if you can get somethin outta them. Maybe try to move Lee even. He doesn't have much longer left. Harden could be gone, even as soon astoday, and Lilly and Dempter are not going to cut it as our #1 and 2 starters. They need a massive re-doing of this.

Only ones who should be safe and stay are Ramirez, Wells, Theriot, Fox, Soto (too young and talented to give up on this soon) Hoffpauir, Marmol (though, ifsomeone was interested and offered a great deal, make that), Lilly and Demp for the back of the rotation, and Guzman.

Everyone else needs to be on open tryouts type watch. If they don't make plays, they gotta go. I'm tired of excuses. Not winning happens, notperforming shouldn't.

so is he going to post a cardinal with the same jersey number as the magic number for the rest of the season?

Originally Posted by arstyle27

We have a sauna sighting....lol

Yeah, i could've ranted on for another few paragraphs, but enough was enough.

laugh.gif
yea, i moved to san antonio a month ago... just got internet installedand still no cable.. haven't watched a cubs game since july... but judging from the standings i havent missed much..

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

so is he going to post a cardinal with the same jersey number as the magic number for the rest of the season?
Oh yea buddy....Im pulling out all stops!!!!!!!!

nice to see that my hate for Hendry is rubbing off on some on here. great posts arstyle and CP1708. Man it feels great not to care about the Cubbies this season not making the playoffs. A big weight has been lifted..... Pinella looks like a man bewildered. One more losing year and Lou will retire or resign.

Can't wait until what the new owners will do with their franchise. I have a sense of optimism so far for the Ricketts.....They must fire the majority of execs that the Tribune hired, including Hendry(when any GM trades a player to make cap room for anticipation of another player, by assumption and principle, only to never have getting the intended player, then your time is up. You have to go). Imo it starts with the FO when it comes to winning consistently. Look at the Dodgers, Yankees, RedSox upper management. All have made some great moves, decisions. They might not be all nicer people, but when it comes to winning and what's best for the franchise, they all put that priority at number one. They care about only one thing, winning.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

That game last night was a little too close for my liking. Nonetheless a win is a win.

Hell yea.......I was actually at the game but left when there were 2 outs in the 9th inning........When we were walking out, we could see in the stadium andsat there while they scored ANOTHER run to make it 7-6. Started walking to the car as soon as we heard the crowd cheering and the fireworks going off.

Damn franklin, we sign him to another contract and he damn near blows the lead.

Albert and Matt with a home run each.........Holliday SMASHED that ball.......Albert did too, this was about 10 feet from being the 2nd game i went to where hehit it into big mac land and everybody the staduim got a free big mac.

pacmagic2002 wrote:
Damn franklin, we sign him to another contract and he damn near blows the lead.

That's exactly what I was thinking last night
laugh.gif

Carp's on the mound tonight, hopefully he has a great outing and gets some offense too.

Lilly and Wells, the aces of our staff. Congrats to Wells for his 10th win as a rookie.
pimp.gif

As of right now it's all about individual accolades.

This damn dude albert pujols.......Comes up to bat and only gets a weak %$# double with the bases loaded. We should just trade this dude for the entireNationals starting pitching staff, at least we would score runs for them.....
smile.gif

hxydaZMY.jpg

[h3]Cards batter Brewers to clinch series[/h3]Redbirds move into tie with Dodgers for league's best record

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

09/03/09 1:02 AM ET
Box >
ST. LOUIS -- Throughout a summer surge filled with sensational starting pitching, big hits and fine defense, one thing had still been in relatively short supply for the Cardinals: laughers. They got one on Wednesday.

Now tied with the Dodgers for the National League's best record, the Cardinals played like perhaps the Senior Circuit's best team in a 10-3 thrashing of the rival Brewers at Busch Stadium. Chris Carpenter wasn't especially sharp, but he was good enough to hold a potent offense to three runs over six innings. And his teammates broke out the lumber in a big way, raining down 16 hits on Dave Bush and a parade of relievers.

It was the Redbirds' fifth straight win, ninth in 10 games and 30th in 43 starts since the All-Star break. They maintained a 10 1/2-game lead over the Cubs in the NL Central as their magic number dropped to an even 20 with 4 1/2 weeks remaining in the regular season. Though they'd never admit it, the Cardinals have the division all but locked up. It's now about bigger prizes, such as the NL's best record.

And St. Louis took a step in that direction on Wednesday. Combined with losses by the Dodgers and Phillies, the victory moved the Cardinals into a tie with Los Angeles for the National League's best record. The team with the best record plays at home in both the Division Series and League Championship Series, which would be a nice edge for a team that has the league's second-best home record.

Of course, the way the Cardinals are playing now, it may not matter whom they face or where they play. Even with Carpenter not at his best, the Brewers were no match for the division leaders.

"It was a nice win, no question about it," Carpenter said. "We put it on them offensively. Defensively we played a nice game. And I was able to make some pitches when I had to. That's what makes a nice team. These guys over here [the Brewers], no matter what place or what their record is, they've got a nice offensive club. These guys come to play every single night. They're no slouch. You've got to go and play well and pitch well."

The home team actually trailed briefly on Wednesday, as Carpenter allowed two hits and a walk to fall behind, 1-0, before St. Louis got to swing the bats. An inning later, though, the Cardinals erupted. The first eight batters of the second inning reached base on the way to a six-run outburst. Six of those batters picked up base hits, but the turning point may well have been one of the guys who didn't.

After Yadier Molina and Brendan Ryan opened the inning with singles, Carpenter attempted to put down a sacrifice bunt. Instead, he was nicked by a pitch from Bush, loading the bases with no outs. Skip Schumaker followed with a two-run single, and the thumping was on. Colby Rasmus singled and Albert Pujols sliced a two-run double to right field. Matt Holliday singled for the fifth run, Rick Ankiel walked to load the bases, and Mark DeRosa's double-play grounder brought home the sixth run.

From there, the rout was on.

"The big inning definitely hurt me today," Bush said. "Hitting the pitcher kind of put me behind the eight-ball in that inning. He was giving me an out. He was going to bunt. That put me in a tough spot."

And the Cardinals weren't done -- which was good, because Carpenter was uncharacteristically a little ragged. He allowed a run on two hits and a walk in the third, and another on an RBI double in the fifth. But a sacrifice fly and an RBI double added two more for the Cards in the fourth, and the Redbirds tacked on single runs in the sixth and seventh as well.

Ten different Cardinals either scored or drove in a run.

"We have a really good offense," said Schumaker, who collected four hits and drew a walk. "I'm not surprised when we do score runs, because our lineup is deep. But starting pitching is the key, and they've been with us all year long. It's finally nice to get them some runs."

Matthew Leachis a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Great win, I absolutely loathe the Brewers and kicking their teeth in is always
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom