:: Official 2009 NBA Draft Thread ::

Rubio is 6'5 in shoes, and still might grow a few inches
smh.gif
ridiculous.

Originally Posted by kix4kix

Rubio is 6'5 in shoes, and still might grow a few inches
smh.gif
ridiculous.

Yep. I knew he had to be taller because overseas they measure height without shoes.

It seems like Chris Wallace has set the value for the no.2 pick. I think Wallace has set the value at a lottery pick + 1 promising young player or 2nd lotterypick + cap relief by giving the team Marko Jaric. This is why you will see so many teams (Houston, Portland, Boston, New York, Minnesota) trying to get intothe lottery. The 5th and 8th pick is acceptable as well especially if Memphis is able to get rid of Jaric in the process.

From nypost...
http://www.nypost.com/seven/06232009/sports/knicks/rubio_may_be_the_one_for_knicks_175606.htm

What else can we practically predict? According to one school of educated thought, Ricky Rubio is the sole player who may be worth trading your stash of late '50s photos of a bare Sophia Loren to entice Memphis to surrender second post position.

Some of the immoderately mesmerized queued up include the Timberwolves, Kings and Knicks, who are angling to acquire No. 5 from Washington for Larry Hughes (but must take the expiring contracts of Mike James and Etan Thomas) and parlay the pick with No. 8 for No. 2.

Disregarding the 6-foot-3 Spaniard's contract tribulations for the moment, Rubio doesn't take a possession off competitively, has improved his 3-point shot whenhe's able to set his feet, a la Jason Kidd, and sees the court like a nun saw a crowded classroom, minus the mistakes.

At the same time, Rubio's flaws scare numerous talent scouts more than just a little bit.

Minnesota has offered Kevin Love for the #2 not Love/6. That offer is not on the table according to a Memphis reporter.

So if we make that deal, T'Wolves look like : Tyreke, Foye, Mike Miller, Al Jefferson, Thabeet or Rubio, Tyreke, Miller, Gomes, Jefferson. Just some typeof combination of Evans/Thabeet/Rubio

Grizzlies look like Conley, Mayo, Gay, Love, Gasol.

The deal is tempting because I think Love is better than any player in the draft other than Griffin and Rubio. If Memphis can get the 5th pick, they might bewilling to part with the 6th and Love at that point.

From Sam Smith's blog:
Minnesota at No. 6 has been the most active trying to move up to No. 2 and supposedly offering Randy Foye, whom they don't want to pay, anyway, in the changeover of administration. Minnesota has been linked to Hasheem Thabeet or Rubio.

The Grizzlies at No. 2 are said to be debating among Thabeet, Rubio and Stephen Curry. Owner Mike Heisley holds the tiebreaker, as he did last year in swinging the O.J. Mayo deal. Heisley tried desperately to get Michaal Beasley before settling for Mayo. He likes to make big things things happen on draft day and remains the wild card.

Rubio is worrying some because he hasn't worked out for anyone. Though he wants to play in the NBA, the teams with Nos. 2, 3 and 4 cannot afford the embarrassment of a player who stays in Europe. As young as he is and with a troublesome buyout and mercurial behavior thus far, it wouldn't be far fetched for Rubio to sign up in Europe for a few more years. It seems a huge risk for a top five or six team, though he is projected in that range. It's also why teams after five are beginning to prepare for the possibility of taking him as a future pick. Mess ups like that cost jobs.

If you were to deal with Washington, the assumption is Griffin, Thabeet, Rubio and James Harden would be gone. The top guys right after that are said to be Jonny Flynn, Tyreke Evans, Jordan Hill and Stephen Curry, though Curry and Evans also have been mentioned as top four picks. Monday I was hearing Sacramento getting cold feet about Rubio and looking at Flynn, Jrue Holiday and Evans
From hoopsworld:

Lots Of Suitors For Caron: The Washington Wizards have made no secret of their willingness to move the 5th overall selection in Thursday's 2009 NBA Draft, the byproduct of having an asset out there like that is that every team calling wants to talk about bigger deals that could include the #5 pick and a roster player or two from Washington. The Wizards are rumored to be trying to move Etan Thomas in any deal they make with the #5; however it seems that Caron Butler has become the more coveted player.
Wizards GM Ernie Grunwald claims he is not interested in breaking up his three All-Star core of Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Butler, however the temptation to make a deal will increase in the next 72 hours.

"You never say never to anything. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was traded. Oscar Robertson was traded," Grunfeld said to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. "But I've said many times, I like our players. I think we can compete with just about anybody in the league. So, we like what we have. But if the right opportunity presents itself, you always look at it."

Butler has been traded twice already and understands how the business works, so he is taking the trade talk in stride.
"To be honest with you, I'm not worried but I know the nature of the business," Butler also said to Michael Lee of the Washington Post. "Me being traded from Miami, being traded from [the Lakers], I know the only thing I can control is making sure I'm in good health, making sure I work hard this summer to keep my body right and be the best player I can possibly be for who I'm playing for next season."

Draft Day Is Almost Here! Can you feel it? That giddy anticipation? That's not how players and agents are feeling these days. No sleep, lots of phone calls, a lot of empty promises and almost no certainty for anyone other than Blake Griffin. The first round field seems to have settled in and there could be surprises in the bottom 5 picks, but for the most part teams have settled in on who the first round picks are, now it's finding an order to the chaos. Here are today's draft notes:
Memphis Holds The Key: With the Draft less than 2 days away it has become clear that Memphis holds the Rosetta Stone to this year's NBA Draft. They are the big unknown. Rumors persist that Memphis is looking to trade the #2 overall pick, yet they continue to be talking about players they will select with the pick, hinting that they do not yet have a deal they want to trigger. Reports of Hasheem Thabeet blowing off the Grizzlies, is not accurate. The Grizzlies have met with Hasheem and are strongly considering him with the #2 pick. James Harden had a less than impressive workout, but no one thinks that ruled him out of going #2 to Memphis and there is still Ricky Rubio. The Grizzlies' decision to stick with the #2 will affect how the draft unfolds and they seems to be wavering on where they will go, so it's really anyone's guess at this point, but if the Grizz keep the pick - start warming up to the idea of Hasheem Thabeet.

Harden's Bad Workout: It's amusing how much press James Harden's bad workout with the Grizzlies has gotten. One league source laughed at the reports saying there was a mountain of game film on the kid and that every team in the league has seen him shoot the ball lights out. One team source openly laughed at the notion of Harden sliding saying "I hope he slides to us." There is little doubt that James Harden will be one of the first six players drafted, so don't buy into the hype that he's gonna fall very far or that he is no longer on the Grizzlies' radar because it seems there is still a strong contingent in Memphis that sees him as a good fit.

So, if the article is true then it wasn't that Thabeet not wanting to play for Memphis. Same situation as Rubio. He would rather be in OKC probably becauseits more playing time rather than him having to compete with Gasol for PT. Its unfortunate that the two best players after Griffin are players that playpositions we already have filled.
ohwell.gif

The latest from Chad Fraud:

[h2]Draft-buzz roundup: What we're hearing[/h2]
Email Share

STAY AHEAD OF THE GAME
scoreboard_arrow.gif
Become an Insider Today
ESPN.com
Editor's note: In the days leading up to the draft, we'll be updating this file with the latest draft rumors from around the league. POSTED: June 23 -- 10:16 a.m. ET

Chad Ford: Much has been made that the Grizzlies, Thunder and Kings hold the keys to the draft. But most of the hand wringing by at least a dozen GMs at the moment surrounds what the Washington Wizards will do at No. 5. We first reported on lottery night that the Wizards would shop their pick. Over the course of the past week, Wizards GM Ernie Grunfeld has been pretty open about it, telling the media on Monday that the team was still looking at all options. "We have a good feel for what we have and we feel we can find a good player [in the draft]," Grunfeld said. "At the same time, we have had some interesting conversations. I think, whether we keep the pick, we're going to get a very solid player. In the meantime, we're going to continue to listen to what other teams have to say." The Wizards have rebuffed any advances for players like Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison. Instead they've put together a pretty basic wish list: Take a couple of our bad contracts, save us some money and give us a veteran or two who can help right now. Etan Thomas, Mike James and Darius Songaila seem to be the three players the Wizards wouldn't mind getting off the books. The Wizards have gotten at least 10 offers for the pick, but every team I spoke with that's in the draft was still in the dark about where they stood. The Knicks have offered Larry Hughes for Thomas and James. The Wolves have reportedly offered Mike Miller. The Celtics would give them Ray Allen. The Rockets would give them Tracy McGrady and Carl Landry. The Bucks would send them Richard Jefferson. The Nets would entertain unloading Vince Carter. The Suns could do something with Shaq. The Blazers could part ways with Steve Blake, Jerryd Bayless or Travis Outlaw. The question is: Are any of those offers good enough for the No. 5 pick? In most year's, no. But this year, with the Wizards thinking they're poised to make a deep playoff run? It might be enough.
3026.jpg

Rondo​
• I think it's time to quit dismissing all of those Rajon Rondo trade rumors. A source in Detroit says the Pistons were approached by a lower level Celtics executive who offered Ray Allen and Rondo for Tayshaun Prince, Richard Hamilton and Rodney Stuckey. The Pistons, of course, said no to the deal -- Rondo's great, but he's not worth the entire core of the Pistons. But that's not the news. It's becoming harder and harder for the Celtics to deny that they aren't looking to move Rondo. Rondo's name has come up in rumors with the Suns and Kings. I know Danny Ainge has brushed them off and says the Celtics will probably do nothing ... but where there's smoke ... • The Thunder weren't the only team to meet with Thabeet in LA this weekend. The Grizzlies, after being snubbed by Thabeet in their workout, flew to LA and met with him for three hours. Sources close to both Thabeet and the Grizzlies expect Memphis to take him at No. 2. If they don't, chances are they have a trade in the works.

• The Timberwolves have been among the most active teams over the past few weeks. New GM David Kahn is trying to start his tenure with a bang. However, I think a lot of the reports out there have been off base. The Wolves insist to me that they're not looking to trade Al Jefferson and Kevin Love right now, despite rumors to the contrary. And the rumored Chris Kaman for Mike Miller trade? Sources in both LA and Minnesota shot it down quickly. It turns out that the Wolves did call the Clippers several months ago about the deal (before Kahn had the job), but the Clippers wanted a first-round pick from Minnesota as well ... something the Wolves balked at. But it is true that the Wolves are trying to deal. They have other assets that could make them an attractive trade partner. Miller is in the last year of his contract. Randy Foye interests a few teams. And they have picks 6, 18, 28, 45 and 47 in this year's draft. Ideally the Wolves find a way to get up to the No. 2 pick to select either Hasheem Thabeet or Ricky Rubio. If the Wolves stay at No. 6 I think they'll take either Stephen Curry or Tyreke Evans.
19220.jpg

Williams​
• Did Louisville's Terrence Williams get a promise from the Charlotte Bobcats? Williams went back for a second workout with the Bobcats on Monday against Gerald Henderson. Sources said after the workout Williams met with the Bobcats and may have walked away with a promise that the Bobcats would take him at No. 12. Sure enough the word out of New Jersey Tuesday morning is that Williams pulled out of his workout with the Nets today, citing an ankle injury. I think the Nets may still consider Williams at No. 11, depending on who is there. But it sounds like he won't slip past the 12th pick. As for Henderson, he could be in for a bit of a draft-day slide. The Knicks like him at No. 8 and the Raptors like him at No. 9, but other players are higher on their boards. I think he could slide to the Suns at No. 14 or the Bulls at No. 16. I doubt he slips past the Sixers at No. 17.
How do some of you Presti fans feel about the Thunder taking Thabeet over Harden if that promise is true? I think Thabeet would be just as good asHarden in terms of fit with OKC. Hell, the Thunder can throw Thabo in two guard slot and have a pretty solid lineup.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

I want Terrence Williams in a Mavericks jersey so damn bad...
mad.gif
Why?
Super-athletic, highly talented shooting guard... ?

Been missing that since Finley was in his prime... The biggest thing this team needs, IMO... Starting Antoine Wright all year again?
sick.gif
Pass.

And since I assume Kidd will be back, Williams also seems like a guy that would thrive with with that kinda point guard...

I don't like the options the Mavs look to have available to them at 22... Jeff Teague, Terrence Williams, BJ Mullens... Trade up and go get somebody athletic...
Ayoooooooooooooooo @ that .gif
sick.gif

But yeah, I get you.

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by gone in 60 seconds

Better than Bassy, but that's a lot of assist for a rookie.
How so? Telfair is one of the greatest players to ever come out of New York. You can slight him all you want for his lack of success in the pros, but there is absolutely NO denying his credentials when coming out of HS...

I'm not taking anything away from Bassy's (HS) career but imo Jennings is a true pg. His court vision is better & he's taller (I think). Bassyis a 2 in a pg's body, where Jennings (traditional pg) is always looking for the assist 1st.

Bassy is certainly not a 2 in a one's body. He's certainly more of a pure point than Jennings too.

Jennings more often than not chooses to pass whenever the highlight opportunity is there.

I'm not taking anything away from Bassy's (HS) career but imo Jennings is a true pg. His court vision is better & he's taller (I think). Bassy is a 2 in a pg's body, where Jennings (traditional pg) is always looking for the assist 1st.

Brandon Jennings is farrrrrr from a pass 1st point guard

Originally Posted by yungmatt

Whats makes Jennings better than Sebastian?
Not too sure. I thought Bassy was going to be nice in the league too.
laugh.gif

To Jenning's credit, he is taller and a better shooter/scorer than Bassy.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

laugh.gif

He's maybe an inch taller...if that. And what on earth makes you think he's a better shooter/scorer than Bassy was coming out of school?

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

How do some of you Presti fans feel about the Thunder taking Thabeet over Harden if that promise is true? I think Thabeet would be just as good as Harden in terms of fit with OKC. Hell, the Thunder can throw Thabo in two guard slot and have a pretty solid lineup.

you know i have to respond
laugh.gif
.... i think either way the draft goes the Thunder sit in a prime position... all 3 of them Harden(my personal choice), Rubioand Thabeet fill a desperate need. It someone trades up @2 and get "there" guy we still get a pretty prime prospect, and Harden is definitely notgoing #2 so at the least they will get him.
I wouldnt be surprised if Presti takes Rubio if available, just because this dude collects assets, and teams will have to offer a great offer to land Rubio.

Originally Posted by Sir Rob A Lot

laugh.gif

laugh.gif
I dont agree with this at all... Whats he listed at? 6'1? Both of them fresh outta HS the ONLY thing he does better than Sebastian is jump. And thatsit.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

How do some of you Presti fans feel about the Thunder taking Thabeet over Harden if that promise is true? I think Thabeet would be just as good as Harden in terms of fit with OKC. Hell, the Thunder can throw Thabo in two guard slot and have a pretty solid lineup.

The Thunder are good either way. If they draft James, they can go make a run at Gortat this summer (or just stay with Krstic) and have a pretty good lineup. If they draft Thabeet, they can get a SG at #24 or just stay with Thabo (who's decent) like you said. Either way, they're scary talented andathletic
smh.gif

kevin_love.jpg

Make it happen Memphis
pimp.gif

Wizards GM Ernie Grunwald claims he is not interested in breaking up his three All-Star core of Gilbert Arenas, Antawn Jamison and Butler, however the temptation to make a deal will increase in the next 72 hours.

This ##!$ should have been blown up 2 years ago
smh.gif
They keep waiting for everyone to be healthy so they can make a run...well, they are never healthy. IMO thisteam has plateued as a 40-45 win team. Something drastic needs to be done to make them more competitive. Adding Hughes or Jeffries doesn't help in the W/Lcolumn....however, if we can dump the salaries (without giving up the #5, unless the Knicks throw in the #8 and Ill Will) of Mike James and Etan, then I'dbe all for it.

In all seriousness, where would Wilson Chandler fit on the Wizards team? I wouldn't see him averaging more than 10ppg at most....Is there anyone else onthe Knicks roster who they could throw in a trade that would HELP the Wizards?

This #5 pick unless it's move in a package for a superstar, isn't going to improve the team by leaps and bounds....I'm very pessimistic (sp?)

Better than Bassy, but that's a lot of assist for a rookie.
How so? Telfair is one of the greatest players to ever come out of New York. You can slight him all you want for his lack of success in the pros, but there is absolutely NO denying his credentials when coming out of HS...

I'm not taking anything away from Bassy's (HS) career but imo Jennings is a true pg. His court vision is better & he's taller (I think). Bassy is a 2 in a pg's body, where Jennings (traditional pg) is always looking for the assist 1st.
I totally disagree....these two are more similar than you may think. As a matter of fact, Jennings averaged more points in his senior year thanBassy...[sas] HOWEVA [/sas], Bassy was putting up more assists in his final year at LHS. In high school, Bassy HAD to score...however, don't be fooled byhis gaudy PPG average. I could be wrong, but I never heard any gripes about him being selfish with the rock (unlike Jennings). Telfair's court vision andinstincts were top-notch....this kid was GREAT. If you think about all the legends who came out of not only NYC hoops, but NY State, Telfair is in thediscussion as far as being in the top 3-5.

QFT.

he's got some of yall fooled.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

QFT.

laugh.gif
he averaged like 37ppg at Oak Hill

All I know is that if available... We better select either Earl James Johnson.. I want NO PARTS of BJ Mullens.
sick.gif
smh.gif

QFT.

laugh.gif
he averaged like 37ppg at Oak Hill

and shot the ball like 25x's
laugh.gif

Peter Vecsey writes that the Knicks "are angling to acquire No. 5 from Washington for Larry Hughes (but must take the expiring contracts of Mike James and Etan Thomas) and parlay the pick with No. 8 for No. 2."
Not everyone is convinced that Rubio's value justifies such a high price.

"Ricky has a big upside," a Western Conference coach concedes. "Nevertheless, he's very light, like Steve Nash only without the offense. He has no mid-range game, never gets to the free throw line and is a defensive liability due to his lack of strength and size.

"Ricky makes sense for a team loaded with great outside shooters, because he can make plays," the coach continued. "He would've been a perfect fit for the Suns under Mike D'Antoni, and he could play for him with the Knicks because they don't worry about playing defense.

"The reality is, teams are going to go at him defensively and play him soft . . . dare him to shoot from outside."

How the hell is Larry worth the #5 pick
roll.gif
. Will would HAVEto be included...i think

- Why the *!!+ would you package both picks for #2? Take Jordan Hill and then Holiday/Flynn/Tyreke/Curry.

Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:21 am EDT
[h4]Have Kings soured on Ricky Rubino?[/h4]

A week ago, it seemed the Sacramento Kings were a lock to take Spanish point gurd Ricky Rubino with the fourth pick, but Kings GM Geoff Petrie is said to be leaning toward Tyreke Evans or Syracuse guard Jonny Flynn, according to a Newsday report.

roll.gif
@ Ricky Rubino.

That would amaze me if Rubio actually dropped all the way to the Twolves at 6th. Rubio must didn't impress Sacramento in the workout he had with them yesterday. Either they're blowing smoke trying to cause teams ahead of them to not take him so they can grab him without trading up or he just had a bad workout.
It was also reported that Rubio's ACB team didn't reach an agreement with him. They were supposed to reach an agreement today in order to lower thebuy-out. This never happened and Joventut say they can wait until October when they will meet in court. That's why I honestly think Dan Fegan didn't dothe right thing by making Rubio more attractive to all suitors rather than being picky about it. All because the guy gets drafted by a team and maybe play aseason or two there doesn't mean he can't be traded. Same scenario with Yi. I think this might end ugly for Rubio for some reason.

Peter Vecsey writes that the Knicks "are angling to acquire No. 5 from Washington for Larry Hughes (but must take the expiring contracts of Mike James and Etan Thomas) and parlay the pick with No. 8 for No. 2."
Not everyone is convinced that Rubio's value justifies such a high price.

"Ricky has a big upside," a Western Conference coach concedes. "Nevertheless, he's very light, like Steve Nash only without the offense. He has no mid-range game, never gets to the free throw line and is a defensive liability due to his lack of strength and size.

"Ricky makes sense for a team loaded with great outside shooters, because he can make plays," the coach continued. "He would've been a perfect fit for the Suns under Mike D'Antoni, and he could play for him with the Knicks because they don't worry about playing defense.

"The reality is, teams are going to go at him defensively and play him soft . . . dare him to shoot from outside."
How the hell is Larry worth the #5 pick
roll.gif
. Will would HAVE to be included...i think

- Why the *!!+ would you package both picks for #2? Take Jordan Hill and then Holiday/Flynn/Tyreke/Curry.

That's what I'm saying!!! No %*@+#%+ way EG trades the #5 for Larry Hughes and Wilson Chandler. The #8 HAS to be included. I dunno where Vescey isgetting his scoop from. That is ridiculous.

I would love for Rubio to drop obviously...but it just won't happen. Most of these rumors we're hearing are probably smokescreens and in realityhe'll be picked by OKC or Sacramento despite what they're saying or reports are saying...

From Seth Davis' latest on cnnsi.com:

• Speaking of Daye, although many NBA mock draft boards have Daye as a borderline lottery pick, I think he made a terrible mistake by staying in the draft. His apparent position in the draft is just more evidence that NBA general managers put way too much stock in predraft workouts. Daye might be graceful and extremely skilled for his size, but put him in a game -- especially a big game against a good team in clutch time -- and he's invisible. He has very little mental toughness, and I fear that will doom him once he enters the league.

One NBA scout I talked to in Colorado Springs pointed out that during one six-game span last season, Daye failed to get a single offensive rebound. "That's hard to do when you're almost 7-feet," the scout said. "That's why I think we should get rid of these stupid [predraft] workouts. They're totally meaningless compared to what these guys do in games."

nerd.gif

I disagree, I think Will included is enough. I don't think Walsh will trade him tho.

Vecsey is straight up saying Hughes for #5
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom