Official 2009 NCAA Tournament Thread. The Very Best Have Gathered Upon One Stage.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Word, i watched like 2 posessions and just put it back to UAB & ND

Jeff Goodman

I've come up with a list of the 10 most important players of the tourney:

1) Ty Lawson, North Carolina - He's the most critical player and his toe is the most important body part.

2) Stanley Robinson, UConn - The UConn forward has a tendency to do a disappearing act. If he shows up - as he did in the Big East tournament - the Huskies could win it all.

3) Jeff Teague, Wake Forest - He's the key to the Demon Deacons success. When he struggles, so does his team.

4) Austin Johnson, Oklahoma - You know what you'll get from Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, but Johnson is a question mark. The Sooners point guard is struggling with a back injury.

5) Raymar Morgan, Michigan State - The Spartans need Morgan to return back to the form prior to when he came down with pneumonia.

6) Jon Scheyer, Duke - Not only does he need to make shots for the Blue Devils, but now he's also the primary ball-handler.

7) Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga - If the 'Zags big man is a force and plays tough, it's a different team.

glasses.gif
Tyreke Evans, Memphis - He's not a natural point guard, but he's certainly made a significant improvement as the year has gone on.

9) Earl Clark, Louisville - One of the elite talents in the country and tends to step up this time of year.

10) Jonny Flynn, Syracuse - How much does he have left in the tank after the Big East run?

i dont understand why people are bringing up the 6 OT game when it was a week ago..... these are some young kids.... fatigue shouldnt be a factor

Originally Posted by outkast9984

i dont understand why people are bringing up the 6 OT game when it was a week ago..... these are some young kids.... fatigue shouldnt be a factor

Because its the first time they've watched Syracuse all year.

[h1]When tourney picks go terribly wrong[/h1]
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports 4 hours, 6 minutes ago

It was like a woman standing at a bar who looked so good in her skirt your head snapped and your brain stopped functioning.

This was promising, you figured. This had potential, you thought. That skirt alone was enough to ignore that she was chain smoking while drinking vodka, no ice, straight out of a smudged glass. It made the fact she was simultaneously playing three keno cards endearing.

And yes the guy's name tattooed on her back did correspond to the oversized mixed martial arts enthusiast playing pool across the way, but he was an "ex fiancèe" after all.

Once you introduced her to your parents at your sister's wedding next week, he'd be forgotten.

You don't just pick a Final Four team, you consummate a relationship with them. They become your team even if you have no prior attachment - you didn't attend the school, you barely know where it's located. Especially when you take a non-chalk pick and believe you've outsmarted America.

It doesn't matter how small the amount of money in the office pool, or if there is money at all. You're in. You're out there. It's emotional.

And, like some relationships, it's so doomed for spectacular failure that afterwards you look back and wonder how in the world you were ever so stupid.

A year ago the University of Southern California Trojans breezed by me in a crowded bar and in a fit of insanity I decided the sixth-seed in the Midwest Region was headed to the Final Four.

O.J. Mayo. Davon Jefferson. Taj Gibson. Tim Floyd and his junk defenses. What could go wrong? Southern Cal was my club.

Friends looked at me like I was nuts. They tried to talk me out of the relationship. They pointed out the obvious flaws - the hoops equivalency of alcoholism, compulsive gambling and an ex looking for a Jiu Jitsu workout.

I'd have none of it. I tuned it out. They were all crazy for not appreciating the balanced scoring, the NBA talent and a club beginning to peak. They didn't see the skirt.

The day before the 2008 tournament, I spoke to my friend Don Haskins, the former UTEP coach, Hall of Famer and the person with the best basketball instincts I've ever met (Hubie Brown included). I told him my pick.

"USC?" he said.

Haskins, before he passed away last September, considered Tim Floyd to be another son. Floyd had been his assistant at UTEP for nine seasons. Haskins had taught him half those bizarre ways to ugly up a game, which I assumed would do wonders against first-round opponent Kansas State and star Michael Beasley.

There was no bigger Tim Floyd fan than Don Haskins. Yet he laughed when I said they were Final Four material. He didn't think they'd reach the second round.

"Do you know how good K-State is?" Haskins mocked.

At that point, I had a sinking feeling that this relationship was doomed; a trusted friend had just told me to dump the girl. I was now worried. I should have bailed. I didn't. I convinced myself Haskins was ill-informed even though throughout the season Floyd had sent him DVDs of not just every SC game but most of its practices.

Then I watched with horror as the Trojans did nothing against Kansas State. They couldn't score. They couldn't rebound. They couldn't stop Beasley.

They got manhandled, 80-67. The game wasn't even that close.

It was like taking the girl from the bar to a wedding, watching her spill red wine on the bride's dress and drunkenly crash into the cake.

Other than that, the night went swimmingly.

When it was over, I couldn't defend myself. I couldn't explain what I had been thinking. I had nothing. It was Thursday night and my brackets were already shot. I'd never recover from a Final Four selection losing by 13 in the first round. I might as well have picked Mississippi Valley.

There was only one fond remembrance. Early in the second half, after one particularly bad USC possession, I gave up. I swore off my pick, made a clean break and started rooting for K-State, gambling interests aside, because I liked watching them play.

So at least I broke up with USC first.

Now here are my 2009 brackets in front of me and, yes, here come the Trojans, full of NBA talent and white hot after blasting through the Pac-10 tournament. I'm dumb, not that dumb. They could've signed LeBron and Kobe in early March and I'm not picking USC. I won't return to that abusive relationship.

But can I avoid any potentially abusive relationship?

Did you see Syracuse in the Big East tournament? Did you see the talent? Jonny Flynn is the best point guard in America, the college version of Chris Paul. He's such a leader he keeps everyone in line, even Eric Devendorf. I've even convinced myself Devendorf is just misunderstood. The chest pounding isn't him being a punk; it's a sign of competitive fire. This team has size up front, great outside shooting and a deep bench. If they play hard, they can beat anyone.

Sure they're in a region with North Carolina, Oklahoma and Gonzaga. Sure Stephen F. Austin, the opening-round opponent, plays great defense. Sure James Harden and Arizona State could be waiting in Round 2. Sure Jim Boeheim has had more than his share of early flame outs. Sure they could be exhausted from the marathon conference tournament. Sure they've been inconsistent.

But did you see that skirt?

I'm so smitten right now even Boeheim's whine seems endearing.

I got tickets for the ACC Tourney game in greensboro on Thursday

pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Now watch Duke ##!$ around and lose 1st round
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Jeff Goodman

I've come up with a list of the 10 most important players of the tourney:

1) Ty Lawson, North Carolina - He's the most critical player and his toe is the most important body part.

2) Stanley Robinson, UConn - The UConn forward has a tendency to do a disappearing act. If he shows up - as he did in the Big East tournament - the Huskies could win it all.

3) Jeff Teague, Wake Forest - He's the key to the Demon Deacons success. When he struggles, so does his team.

4) Austin Johnson, Oklahoma - You know what you'll get from Blake Griffin and Willie Warren, but Johnson is a question mark. The Sooners point guard is struggling with a back injury.

5) Raymar Morgan, Michigan State - The Spartans need Morgan to return back to the form prior to when he came down with pneumonia.

6) Jon Scheyer, Duke - Not only does he need to make shots for the Blue Devils, but now he's also the primary ball-handler.

7) Josh Heytvelt, Gonzaga - If the 'Zags big man is a force and plays tough, it's a different team.

glasses.gif
Tyreke Evans, Memphis - He's not a natural point guard, but he's certainly made a significant improvement as the year has gone on.

9) Earl Clark, Louisville - One of the elite talents in the country and tends to step up this time of year.

10) Jonny Flynn, Syracuse - How much does he have left in the tank after the Big East run?

laugh.gif

I THINK my first round is done...I still got a few games to look over.

OSU/Siena, Wash/Miss St, Arizona/Utah are the only ones I really am having trouble with. HELP

OSU and Washington are basically playing home games and Arizona sucks.

I'm contemplating making the hour drive to Gboro too. Only $60 for first day pass, but I'll probly end spending half the money at a bar so I can watchall the games.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

If fatigue was an issue Cuse would have gotten blown out by WVU.

exactly..... its stupid how that is being brought up over and over again.... they will be fine and should make a nice run in the tourney

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

ty lawson is going to be the key for this entire tournament.

Maybe but once UNC runs into a team with a legit PG they are in for a helluva game. All of their losses have been because Ty was outplayed by superior PGs. IfCuse make it that far and get a matchup I wouldn't be surprised if Jonny dominated and the Cuse pull out the W.

Originally Posted by jville819

Maybe but once UNC runs into a team with a legit PG they are in for a helluva game. All of their losses have been because Ty was outplayed by superior PGs. If Cuse make it that far and get a matchup I wouldn't be surprised if Jonny dominated and the Cuse pull out the W.
interesting point. didn't watch unc play much at all...aside from maryland taking them out. caught the final 10 minutes or so.

Two games that I cant decide on...

VCU/UCLA (winner is going to Elite Eight), and Lousiville/Wake (will lose to Michigan State next game anyway)...

I just cant pick those two.

Originally Posted by BallinBoykz

Two games that I cant decide on...

VCU/UCLA (winner is going to Elite Eight)
VCU. i was just thinking to myself, if Taylor *@$%%!# Rochestie can go off for 33 points vs UCLA and their "vaunted" defense...what isMaynor gonna do?!

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by jville819

Maybe but once UNC runs into a team with a legit PG they are in for a helluva game. All of their losses have been because Ty was outplayed by superior PGs. If Cuse make it that far and get a matchup I wouldn't be surprised if Jonny dominated and the Cuse pull out the W.
interesting point. didn't watch unc play much at all...aside from maryland taking them out. caught the final 10 minutes or so.
Yo. I'm real f'ed up right now but I can tell you our losses have spawned from horrible shooting second halves. I'm about to do someresearch, but I am pretty positive everytime we shot below 40% we lost a game. THe one exception might be the Va. Tech game in the ACC tourne.y. Thats whyGonzaga scares me. They match u[p well, but that will be one of the best ganmes of the tourney. I still think we get that W.

against BC we shot 38%
against Wake we shot 35%
against Maryland we shot 37%
agaisnt FSU we shot 37%

To me the formula seems simple. Shoot above 40% and survive/move on/win the title
IMO our biggest threeat is Gonzaga. IAf we beat them we are in the Final Four (if they beat us I think the same thing).

Other than what the F I have been posting, I got nothing but drunk rambling. Out rounament faith comes down to Ty Lawson being healthy. From IC today anaccurate source said he was ready to go and I texted a playrer saying he was "doing well" (!#% does that mean?). So you guys choose us to lose to theZags, Oklahoma, ASU, or Cuse (I am willing to bet my life savings that this would not happen) and that will be that. We're going to the Final Four and fromthere it's a toss up.

Anyways, I love UNCs Chances this year, but I have Memphis winning it all.

im torn between the whole nova v duke...then winner v pitt. i feel like if nova gets there, its nova. otherwise, pitt beats duke. that's the last thing ineed to settle on and then my bracket is done

Seth Davis getting with Wake
pimp.gif

And I don't think we would be able to slow down against UNC. Once it got uptempo we would start playing that way...and that's there game.

Back
Top Bottom