Official 2010 ECF series thread: Orlando magic vs. Boston Celtics (BOS leads 3-2)Not so fast BOS

I really wonder what Patrick is teaching this guy. His defensive skills are great but his offensive game has shown no improvement.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

they need to quit feeding dwight
just let him play d and get boards

Yup, we started struggling when he forces the issue. A lot of his attempts were uncalled for. 
This is a serious question and not meant to be sarcastic.  Wasn't everybody up in arms last year because they weren't feeding Dwight or getting him involved in the offense?

Originally Posted by aepps20

I really wonder what Patrick is teaching this guy. His defensive skills are great but his offensive game has shown no improvement.
Either Patrick is a poor coach or Dwight just is a stubborn student and can't learn post offense.

Half of his problem is just a weak lower body, he has the legs of a point guard so when he tries to back defenders down, he just buries his shoulder into them and has no strength from his lower body.  Without that, he isn't moving a lot of people or backing them down, he's just hitting them then doing his hook shot.  Shaq can take two dribbles and he's under the basket, part of that is credit to get footwork but also to his strength down low.

I'm guessing it's a combination of Dwight being a difficult student and Ewing not being a miracle worker, Dwight's show the ability to finish with his left, have a little touch on his jumpshot, and has some finesse.  But he rarely goes through his moves smoothly or consistently.  He can do it, but he just rushes or reverts to the same move repeatedly.

Originally Posted by DontStepOnMyShoes

Half Man Half season just flashed before my eyes on that dunk. Its only a matter of time!

nitpicking here but why is this nickname still used.....VC has played 75+ games in each of the last 7 years....

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by aepps20

Either Patrick is a poor coach or Dwight just is a stubborn student and can't learn post offense.

Half of his problem is just a weak lower body, he has the legs of a point guard so when he tries to back defenders down, he just buries his shoulder into them and has no strength from his lower body.  Without that, he isn't moving a lot of people or backing them down, he's just hitting them then doing his hook shot.  Shaq can take two dribbles and he's under the basket, part of that is credit to get footwork but also to his strength down low.

I'm guessing it's a combination of Dwight being a difficult student and Ewing not being a miracle worker, Dwight's show the ability to finish with his left, have a little touch on his jumpshot, and has some finesse.  But he rarely goes through his moves smoothly or consistently.  He can do it, but he just rushes or reverts to the same move repeatedly.
This is an excellent analysis my dude.  Patrick was one of my favorite players growing up and it is just hard to believe that a post player as great as Patrick isn't rubbing off on Howard.

VC still got that hop
sick.gif
and Dwight is overrated on offense

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

VC still got that hop
sick.gif

How is he overrated on offense. Nobody said he had a polished post game. People are quick to say someone/something is overrated. 

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

Half Man Half season just flashed before my eyes on that dunk. Its only a matter of time!

nitpicking here but why is this nickname still used.....VC has played 75+ games in each of the last 7 years....
What happened to your "hungry" Magic today? After all, they're the "hungriest" team in the playoffs, right?
laugh.gif

Would you consider that Pat had a jumpshot and was built to have one; not D12. I think he should continue getting his "O" from his "D" *pause* like Stan insisted.

Originally Posted by finnns2003

Originally Posted by blacktopking319

What happened to your "hungry" Magic today? After all, they're the "hungriest" team in the playoffs, right?
laugh.gif
i actually missed the game today i was at work.....maybe if i watched it destiny would have been different

i cant stand D12 whining and crying for non-calls every damn game 
grin.gif

laugh.gif
pimp.gif
 @ JJ being one of the few bright spots for ORL 

Originally Posted by raptors29

Originally Posted by ACBboyz84

VC still got that hop
sick.gif

How is he overrated on offense. Nobody said he had a polished post game. People are quick to say someone/something is overrated. 
And he is considered among top 5 talent in the league right now ? that's why i say he's overrated

Well you said he's overrated on offense... which he isn't. He's flawed on offense and routinely and justifiably criticized for his lack of offense game and poor FT shooting.

He's considered a top 5 talent thanks in part to the lack of traditional centers in today's league and his defense alone alters and dictates basketball games. He's not a complete waste on offense, but he isn't going to get you 30 points/game with any consistency. No one is saying Dwight is Hakeem or Shaq offensively, so he's not really overrated there.

Originally Posted by B1acMan365

Would you consider that Pat had a jumpshot and was built to have one; not D12. I think he should continue getting his "O" from his "D" *pause* like Stan insisted.

I agree with this assessment but my concern is his poor footwork and lack of post moves.  I understand that he'll never have Pat's J but if he would improve his footwork and learn a few more post moves he'd be a better offensive player.

didn't get to see the game, but gonna watch the re-play. Glad to see the Celtics picking up where they left off last series.

finnns2003 wrote:
blacktopking319 wrote:

laugh.gif

they were on a 8 game playoff winning streak...gotta lose sometime...

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

they were on a 8 game winning streak...gotta lose sometime...

They were getting thrashed by as much as 20 at one point, I don't think the Hawks or Bobcats were capable of that. To say the Magic are hungrier than any of the other final four teams is ridiculous.

They were definitely hungrier than the Spurs though, that's for sure.

dwight's hook shot looks so awkward. like it's forced. but on the brighter side, the magic defense prevented rondo from making his easy layups, unlike in the cle series.

Rasheed Wallace on Orlando's 3 pt. shooting:

"A lot of them jump shots, the buttholes get tight."

Obviously every magic fan is extremely disappointed in todays outcome. Celts played great D and are a veteran team, but we all know damn well the magic just did not show up for the first 3 quarters. They came out flat and very complacent. On a brighter note they scored 30 points in the final period, so that does show that when they do show up at tip-off they are a team to be reckoned with. I'm sure this game will be their wake-up call. I still say magic in 6, but wouldn't be surprised if it goes the whole 7. 
GO MAGIC!!!!!!! 
pimp.gif

I see a lot of times people saying "aww man we came out flat" or "aww man what's wrong with lebron?", but I think it's pretty safe to say now that the Celtics Defense is at the heart of the matter.

And dwight's offense is not polished and will never be pretty, but his D is absurd. He blocked or altered about 10 shots in the first quarter alone. It's tough to put a value on his ability to shut down someone's drive just by being on the court. Players just won't take it inside when they know he is lurking. I don't blame Ewing for his lack of post moves. When you can't keep the D honest with a jumper, you are bound to be predictable and Dwight simply wasn't born with touch.

Back
Top Bottom