OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

My bro's in laws are crazy gamblers and gave us Free 2 night stay certificates, but he had like 6. Just a $200 deposit and you get it back once you checkout. Everythings so much better when its free
pimp.gif

& the M Resort is right when you get into Vegas, the buffet is called Studio B. If you plan on going weekends its $32 / person cause of the seafood - but the unlimited beer and wine tripped us out. The reviews on yelp convinced us. I believe they're rated best buffet in Vegas.

laugh.gif
yeah Hot n Juicy was on Man V Food so was Hash a Go Go (or however its spelled).

Sin lookup "The Boiling Crab" almost the same ++%% and they have plenty in socal.

Ironman when you go check out those 2 hour timeshare meetings, so far we've gotten: free tickets to comedy shows, free hypnotist shows (tonight), free hot air balloon rides. Just stay and listen for 2 hours and after they'll harass you like cell phone dudes at the mall but just be straight with em and say you're just here for the free stuff.
roll.gif
you don't waste your time and you don't waste theirs.

If you want the info lemme know I'll ask my bro.

So what's the outlook on the Orlando Hudson departure or are you alright with it?

Looks like you're going with a platoon at second of Belliard/Dewitt/etc.. I mean, Hudson was an All-Star last year, but I know he tailed off towards the end. However, it just seems like he's still a solid player and it's odd to see the Dodgers give up on him for a platoon. Disclaimer: I know it's a weak economy, and I know Belliard was mostly playing second in the playoffs last year.

^ im good with Hudson leaving, he didn't do much for us in the second half. I think it was ironman who said that torre didn't like his attitude cause he was always talking about getting paid on his next contract.

I had to google the M Resort, didn't know what the hell it was
laugh.gif

It sounds good though, so I will check it out especially if they offer beer and wine.

Good tip on the 2hr timeshare meetings.  I'm going with my boys, so I doubt I will go that route.  Maybe when I go with my girl, 'cause she likes getting free %%%% as much as I do.  As opposed to a couple of my boys, who are always on that "Just pay" tip
smh.gif

Calling me cheap 'cause I like hookups, discounts and free stuff. 
smh.gif
it's the principle man, I could afford it, just like getting %%%% for free
laugh.gif
.  It feels better, taste better, and I enjoy it better
smokin.gif
      /rant
laugh.gif

We are staying at a timeshare, but if I can get a free room on the strip for one of those nights,
smokin.gif

JPZx- He is definitely an upgrade for you guys.  Hudson brings a lot to the table with his versatility and defense.  He's a switch hitter, with little pop, but is better offensively than the Punto/Casillas/Harris platoon the Twins had last year.  He won his GG because he does make flashy "Top Ten" like plays, but his range isn't what it used to be, his UZR isn't spectacular at all.  You might say he is a bit overrated defensively, but is still above average.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]Kemp deals with increased celebrity[/h2]

GLENDALE, Ariz. -- Being Matt Kempused to be a lot easier than it is now. But it wasn't nearly as muchfun.The Dodgers center fielder, paparazzi target, soon-to-be GQ model andbudding superstar gave his first interview of spring training onWednesday. Reporters questioned him about his Gold Glove, his highlyvisible relationship with singer Rihanna and a couple of past legalskirmishes that came to light as a result of that relationship.

Theguy who used to look like a deer in the headlights whenever reportersapproached, who used to get defensive whenever he was asked aboutanything remotely negative, suddenly conducted himself like a savvyveteran who had been through it a million times and figures to gothrough it a million more.

"I have come a long ways,'' Kemp said. "I'm still learning, but Iam definitely growing and getting the hang of it. I still have a lotmore work to do, but I'm getting there.''

They used to talkabout Kemp in terms of his potential, how he was brimming with rawtalent that had yet to be tapped, mostly because he hadn't discoveredbaseball until he was already a high-school basketball standout. Theynow talk about him as one of the league's most dangerous hitters, a guywho batted .297 last season and shattered his previous career highs byslamming 26 homers and driving in 101 runs.

That metamorphosis has taken place almost entirely within the last year.

"MattKemp in that time has probably come farther than anybody,'' Dodgersmanager Joe Torre said. "One thing about him, and you saw it last year,is that he isn't afraid to get embarrassed [at the plate], which is aplus because he is out there doing what he thinks he should be doingand he is making adjustments. He is a very aggressive young man.

"Hewas enormously improved last year, and knowing his personality, I don'tthink he will be satisfied with that.''While Kemp's primary challenge is to continue improving as a hitter,his new friendship with Rihanna -- "friendship" is what duo is callingit -- will present challenges of its own. It's an issue club officialsare quietly monitoring, even if they won't publicly acknowledge beingconcerned about it.

Torre gained plenty of experience dealing with this sort of thing while managing the New York Yankees.

"Whenyou get more famous, you get more attention,'' Torre said. "With thefact [Kemp] is dating someone famous, that sort of doubles or maybeeven quadruples that attention. He is going to have to answer a lot ofquestions about things that aren't baseball related. ... I called Derek Jeterin one year. He was a single guy living in New York, and I talked tohim about it. He assured me that his priorities were in order, and theywere."

Torre said he has discussed the issue with Kemp, althoughless formally than he did with Jeter. Kemp basically made the samepromise to Torre that Jeter did, just as he made it to the media throngthat wasted no time broaching the subject.

"A lot of people outthere get hounded about things that are going on in their lives,'' hesaid. "You just find ways to handle it and go on about your business.It's not affecting my work. I plan on [this season] being the same, oreven better than last year.''

So far, the worst side effect ofKemp's relationship with Rihanna has been his past being laid bare asthe result of digging by certain media outlets.

Kemp says arestraining order taken out against him by a previous girlfriend wasbased on false pretenses. The order was rescinded. In 2002 police inColumbus, Ohio, investigated forced sexual conduct claims against himand two roomates in town for a high school basketball tournament. Noarrests were made, nor were there charges filed in the case.

"Asyou can see with the restraining order, it was dropped,'' Kemp said."It was a false thing, it wasn't true, and it got dropped. I have nevertried to harm anybody in my life, especially a woman. For things likethat to happen, it hurts my feelings, but it is what it is. With theincident that happened in high school, it was just being in the wrongplace at the wrong time. It was just an accusation, and it got dropped.

"Wewere young, man, [17] years old, having fun and playing basketball. Allkinds of things go on when you're [that age], but me and my friendsnever did anything like that. We are all better people for what didhappen and what didn't happen.''

Kemp has lived a lifetime sincethen, and he seemingly has lived another since last spring training. Tothose who have followed him since his early days in the organization,from the moment he was drafted in the sixth round in 2003 until now, itis clear he has reached a newfound level of maturity on and off thefield.

Rihanna aside, Kemp has achieved a certain level ofcelebrity in his own right. He is scheduled to do a magazine spread forGQ on March 2. He will host his second fundraiser for autism researchon March 6, an event that proved hugely successful last year. He alsois looking into buying a new home in the Dallas area, partly because ofits close proximity to his hometown of Midwest City, Okla., and partlyto be close to another of his new celebrity friends, fellow Gold Glovecenter fielder Torii Hunter of the Angels.

"Toriiis a great guy,'' Kemp said. "He invited me out to Dallas to work outwith him, and I had a lot of fun. He plays the game right. He playshard, and he's a superstar.''

Now, as he enters his fifth season in the majors, Kemp finally seems as deserving of those descriptions as Hunter does.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/dodgers-notes-ramirez-belliard-belisario.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers Notes: Ramirez, Belliard, Belisario[/h1]
By Mark Polishuk [February 25 at 10:00pm CST]

Some quick hits about L.A.'s blue team...
  • Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reported that Manny Ramirez said he would play three more years in the majors and then two years in Japan.  This came just a day after Ramirez hinted that 2010 would probably be his last year with the Dodgersand possibly his last year in baseball altogether.  At this point,Ramirez could announce that he wants to play for Mr. Burns' softballteam and nobody would bat an eye.  
  • Hernandez also reported that infielder Ronnie Belliardestimated his weight at "210 or 211 pounds" upon his arrival at theDodgers' spring camp.  If Belliard weighs in at 209 pounds or less atany point during the spring, the $825K contract he signed last monthwill become guaranteed.
  • MLB.com's Ken Gurnick says that reliever Ronald Belisario hasn't arrived to spring training yet due to a visa problem in his native Venezuela.  It shouldn't be a major issue (Hernandez tweetedearlier today that the pitcher is expected this week), but Gurnicknoted that if Belisario is held up for too long past L.A.'s March 5preseason opener, the Dodgers couldn't send him down to the minorswithout risking losing him to a waiver claim since Belisario is out ofoptions. 
  • In a separate piece, Gurnick talks to Brian Giles, who is looking at his minor-league deal with the Dodgers as his "last shot" to see if he's healthy enough to continue playing.

Ironman PM
smokin.gif

I'll give a complete review on that Studio B buffet once I unpack.

Sum Poosie
roll.gif

Originally Posted by dland24

God I love Manny Ramirez. I wish he hadnt played for such weak !@! teams.
wink.gif

such weak teams?...i dont think he ever played for the sf giants who havent won a world series since moving to california
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

iron man i get what your saying now though about the two teams, especially since the dodgers have a bigger fan base then the angels and the fact they don't play eachother much. suprised the two teams haven't played in yankee stadium since game 6 of the 1981 world series. this is the 13th season of interleague play and teams started rotating interleague play so that every team plays everyone once every few years or so but the dodgers haven't played in yankee stadium yet.
When the preliminary 2010 schedule was posted just before the end of the 2009 MLB Season, the Dodgers were supposed to play a 3-game series at Yankee Stadium.  Dunno why they switched it so that it's a Dodgers home game.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by Cedric Ceballos 1995 Lakers

iron man i get what your saying now though about the two teams, especially since the dodgers have a bigger fan base then the angels and the fact they don't play eachother much. suprised the two teams haven't played in yankee stadium since game 6 of the 1981 world series. this is the 13th season of interleague play and teams started rotating interleague play so that every team plays everyone once every few years or so but the dodgers haven't played in yankee stadium yet.
When the preliminary 2010 schedule was posted just before the end of the 2009 MLB Season, the Dodgers were supposed to play a 3-game series at Yankee Stadium.  Dunno why they switched it so that it's a Dodgers home game.

Agreed.

I'm still pissed we're not away for this series. The preliminary schedule had me setting up a trip out east
smh.gif
smh.gif

I'm happy the Yanks are coming to L.A (the real L.A)

Like a bunch of you have said the Yanks had it easy as hell going to Orange County, them dudes mob deep and literally take over the big A. I'm not condoning violence but it should be epic
laugh.gif

Spoiler [+]
sc7vas.gif

gets me everytime
roll.gif

Originally Posted by FrenchBlue23

Originally Posted by dland24

God I love Manny Ramirez. I wish he hadnt played for such weak !@! teams.
wink.gif

You freakin' troll! 
laugh.gif

Oh come on.  Its all in good fun.
And wcf....i should have used unlikable rather than weak.  I've just hated every team hes been on.  

To the jersey heads, judging by the pics on the website, looks like they will be going with the 55 since '55 for the entire season,
smokin.gif

All these pics on the website and stories in the paper *deep breath* baseball season is here.

I plan to hit up CBR the weekend of March 14th.

[h3]http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2547/dodgers-ready-to-lift-kershaw-rules[/h3]
[h3]Dodgers ready to lift Kershaw Rules?[/h3]
By Rob Neyer

One of the oddest stats last season was Clayton Kershawposting a 2.79 ERA but winning only eight games. What makes it just abit less odd is that Kershaw averaged barely six innings per start, andthat was due in part to the Dodgers' caution with their talented youngsouthpaw. Well, they won't be quite as cautious this season:
  • Dodgersleft-hander Clayton Kershaw, who is about to start his third majorleague season, won't need to be kept on as tight a leash in terms ofhis workload as he has been in the past, Dodgers manager Joe Torre saidafter the team's first full-squad workout of spring training Friday --and after Kershaw threw live batting practice for the first time sincereporting to camp more than a week ago.

Kershaw made 30 starts last year, his first full season in themajors, but threw only 171 innings, an average of less than six perstart. Torre blamed it largely on Kershaw's tendency to throw too manypitches in the early innings, but it also was due in part to theorganization's reluctance to allow its budding star to throw too manyinnings at such a young age.

Kershaw will turn 22 next month.

"He would get frustrated when all of a sudden, he had thrown 100pitches in four innings," Torre said. "It frustrated the [heck] out ofhim.
A bit of poetic license taken by Mr. Torre, as Kershaw never threw100 pitches in four innings last year. In fact, it looks like there wasjust one game -- this one -- in which Kershaw threw 100 pitches in five innings. And that was his very first start of the season.

The Dodgers certainly did limit Kershaw's pitches. He topped out at112 pitches (twice), but otherwise was almost uniformly allowed tothrow in the 95-105 range. Which was one reason he threw only 171innings.

The other reason? After pitching against the Padres on the 4th ofSeptember, Kershaw didn't start again until the 27th; essentially helost three starts and (roughly) 18 innings because of minor shouldersoreness. Granted, if Kershaw were older maybe the Dodgers would haveallowed him to pitch through the soreness.

I believe the Dodgers have handled Kershaw almost perfectly. In histhree (full) professional seasons he's thrown 122, 171, and 184innings. He's never thrown more than 112 pitches in a major leaguegame. He'll be 22 in three weeks, and whatever happens next the Dodgerscan reasonably claim they've done everything they could to ensureKershaw's future health.

Maybe the leash will be a bit looser this season and he's sure towin more than eight games. But unless he throws more strikes -- and hemade real progress in the second half of last season -- Kershaw's notgoing to average significantly more innings per start, which should bethe real point of the thing.

Back
Top Bottom