OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Damn, couldn't even get on the first page with all these Giant fans trying to be part of our thread.....
laugh.gif

....and yes I did think about crashing their party when their thread started, but passed, didn't want to seem petty.

It's going to be a good year.
smokin.gif

Ironman, how hard/easy are yankee tix gonna be to get?
It's going to be tight.  They are going to try and sell as many as these through packages as possible.

They are only going to release a small number on the first day of ticket sales (March 6).  They are discussing not releasing any Yankee series single game tickets at all, until the last moment possible.

They haven't finalized ticket prices yet, but I have bad news for LFP peeps.  They hiked those tickets to $15
sick.gif
.  Also they are doing tier pricing this year,
sick.gif
.  So expect to pay more on weekends and "premium" games.

For all I care, raise the hell out of Pavilion seats. Price the cholos out of the ballpark.

EDIT:

smh.gif

Wasted it on %*+*% made cholos
smh.gif

Vlcsnap-337921.jpg

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Ironman, how hard/easy are yankee tix gonna be to get?
It's going to be tight.  They are going to try and sell as many as these through packages as possible.

They are only going to release a small number on the first day of ticket sales (March 6).  They are discussing not releasing any Yankee series single game tickets at all, until the last moment possible.

They haven't finalized ticket prices yet, but I have bad news for LFP peeps.  They hiked those tickets to $15
sick.gif
.  Also they are doing tier pricing this year,
sick.gif
.  So expect to pay more on weekends and "premium" games.

damn. i knew they were trying to milk those packages to those peeps wanting to go to the yankee game.
yea my brother got the flyer with the prices, and i saw pavillion $15. i was like
eek.gif
, 5 years ago they were only $6. yes $15 is still affordable, but  
ohwell.gif

i also noticed the tiering. i thought it had been posted thats why i didnt even say anything. they have 3 diff tiers i believe

i remember a bunch of us going all the time in/after high school for $6 and $10 parking
now $15 and $15
grin.gif

Wow the season is starting up again. 
pimp.gif

That sucks they are raising the prices.
smh.gif

Heard Gagne back. Thats cool, I still have his bobble head. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

i remember a bunch of us going all the time in/after high school for $6 and $10 parking
now $15 and $15
grin.gif

that sucks how they keep raising the prices.  i remember i would go to so many dodger games back when the pavilion seats were $6   i would just take the bus to dodger stadium and walk up that hill and do that about 10-12 times a season.

ill try and make it to a few games though, it sucks my team is 3000 miles away but they play the dodgers in a 4 game series out here in july.

cincoseisdos how was that san francisco trip i heard you talk about on the other page, i was thinkin about trying to do the same and goin to a dodger giant game up there this season myself.

the dodgers lack of moves dissapointed me this offseason but hopefully they prove me wrong this year and make some noise, i wanna go to some more playoff games this year.

dodgers vs mets nlcs this year
laugh.gif

Let's sign up Pedro and put him on the 60 day DL.

Have him well rested for that October push, who's with me?

mad.gif
sick.gif
grin.gif
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
@ the Yanks vs Dodger ticket prices.

Almost as much as going to the ASG.

yea im bummed on that.. didnt get season tickets this year..

gonna have to fight for those.

im planning on going to the LA vs. Bos series in Boston this year tho.. that should be a good time..

Russ looked bigger from what I hear.  I expect big rebound years from Russ, Furcal, Manny and Kuroda.

Just a little reading fodder for some of you:

[h2]
[h2]Spring Notes                                                           LOS ANGELES DODGERS                                     Camelback Ranch-Glendalehttp://[/h2]
Pitchers and Catchers report date                          Spring Training Notes                                                          February 20, 2010
[/h2]

GLENDALE IS OUR TOWN!: The Dodgers’ award-winning Spring Training facility, Camelback Ranch – Glendale, officially kicked off its second Spring Training this morning, when pitchers and catchers reported for physicals. After Dodger Manager Joe Torre addressed the media, the last physicals wrapped up in the late afternoon and the only player missing from camp was Ronald Belisario, who is tied up with visa issues. It’s a short 43 days until Opening Day, April 5, when the Dodgers visit PNC Park to take on the Pittsburgh Pirates.  

NON-ROSTER SPOTLIGHT: Who else could it be on the first day of spring, but 2003 Cy Young Award Winner Eric Gagné, who returns to the Dodgers for the first time since playing eight seasons in Los Angeles from 1999-2006. Gagné addressed the media at his locker, where he talked about competing for a spot on the roster as a non-roster invitee. The all-time Dodger saves leader will wear his familiar No. 38, after reliever Ramon Troncoso agreed to switch to No. 67 for the Cactus League season.

RAZOR SHARP: Among the early position players reporting to camp was Dodger third baseman Casey Blake, who is sporting a clean-shaven face for the first time while wearing a Dodger uniform. According to Blake, “My last duck hunting trip didn’t go so well so I got frustrated and shaved the beard. Someone said it makes me look younger, so I guess I’ll keep it.

Russ said he was at 206-207 last year, I'd say he was more at 210ish.

230 is a lot of bulk ... come with it russ no more bsin

cheap +!@ mccourt. i pity any idiot who pays 15 bucks to squeeze in on a bench between all of cincoseisdos' cousins out there.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

^^^did you get flights/hotels yet?How much?

not yet.. ill be using miles, and have cousins there.. just gotta get those tickets.. lowest price right now is like 85 for bleacher seats.

Originally Posted by In Yo Nostril

cheap +!@ mccourt. i pity any idiot who pays 15 bucks to squeeze in on a bench between all of cincoseisdos' cousins out there.

I'm no one to tell someone how to spend their damn money, but this little tidbit:

- For the last 5 years of their marriage, Jamie and Frank took $2.31 million per month in salaries and perks -- almost entirely on a tax-free basis.

- Frank's financial advisor testified, "During the marriage the parties used the business to fund whatever they needed, or wanted, as it was their personal ATM or credit card.

- Jamie claims ... Frank's 2008 personal financial statements put his net worth at $834,900,000 and valued McCourt Enterprises in excess of $2 billion.

- Frank spent $52,000 in clothes since November and dropped more than $81,000 on a December vacation ... according to Jamie.

- As for Jamie's request for just under a million a month, she claims it's necessary "to maintain her accustomed marital lifestyle

They spent their money like damn fooools. I wish they end up taking the Scott Storch route.

Damn $2M / month in 5 years - tax free though is that normal?
eek.gif

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Familiar faces prepare for first workout[/h3]Dodgers return many of same players from last season
By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

02/21/10 3:00 AM EST

LOS ANGELES -- Dodgers pitchers, catchers and world travelers hold their first Spring Training workout Sunday.

Now Joe Torre knows the drill. His first spring as Dodgers managerincluded a trip to China. His second spring as Dodgers manager includedthe franchise's first-ever Cactus League season and the opening of theCamelback Ranch-Glendale complex.

This spring, the Dodgers return to Camelback Ranch and Asia.Next Thursday, Feb. 25, the remainder of the position players reportfor physicals and next Friday, Feb. 26, is the first full-squadworkout.

And for the second time in three springs, camp will beinterrupted by a trans-Pacific flight and Asian exhibition. Two yearsago, it was a two-game goodwill series against the Padres in Beijing asa warmup for the Summer Olympics.

This spring, a Dodgers split squad will visit Taiwan for twoexhibition games against a team from the Chinese Professional BaseballLeague. Few regulars are expected to make the trip, with James Loneyand Jamey Carroll probable exceptions. The Dodgers last visited Taiwanin 1993. A Dodgers split squad will also play a March 31 game in LasVegas against the Reds.

Torre is entering the final season of a three-year contract.Talks for an extension and post-managing role haven't resulted ineither yet, although Torre and owner Frank McCourt deny thatuncertainty over McCourt's divorce is the reason.

Meanwhile, Torre welcomes back a ballclub very similar to theone that lost to the Phillies in October's NL Championship Series forthe second consecutive year.

General manager Ned Colletti spent most of the winter watchingfrom the sidelines. Skeptics and player agents suggest his hands weretied because of financial limitations. Of course, the club's businessmodel had been moving toward a more frugal youth movement anyway.

Add in the weak economy and the club decided to pass on RandyWolf (signed by Milwaukee for $29 million) but keep Vicente Padilla(who signed for $24 million less). All-Star Orlando Hudson has beenreplaced at second base by some combination of Ronnie Belliard, JameyCarroll and Blake DeWitt. Juan Pierre was dealt for salary relief andreplaced as the fourth outfielder by Reed Johnson.

Except for a pinch-hitter here and a long reliever there, themain drama should be competition for the fifth-starter job. JamesMcDonald, Scott Elbert, Eric Stults, Charlie Haeger, Josh Lindblom,Carlos Monasterios and Russ Ortiz (non-roster invitee) are included inthat cattle-call tryout.

The offense is led by a potentially explosive outfield of MannyRamirez, Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier, the starting rotation byace-in-training Clayton Kershaw and the bullpen by All-Star closerJonathan Broxton and George Sherrill.

Ramirez missed the first three weeks of camp last spring whileangling for a new contract, but he's signed and expected to be on time.He figures to be highly motivated in the final season of his contract,needing to rehab an image tarnished by a wasted spring, a 50-game drugsuspension and a late-season fade.

For the nostalgic, former NL Cy Young winner Eric Gagne wasjust added on a Minor League contract as he tries to revive his careerby breaking into a deep bullpen. Brian Giles is doing the same.

Hiroki Kuroda is the most intriguing rehab story. He's in thelast year of his contract and coming off a season in which he won eightgames and nearly lost his career when drilled on the head by a linedrive.

Kuroda could be a key to the rotation and the club wasconcerned when word came from Japan that he still had neck painassociated with a bulging disk, presumably a side-effect of the lineroff his head. But Kuroda said aggressive acupuncture treatment providedrelief and he's been throwing for more than a month.

Wolf and Hudson are the biggest names of the free agents who left,joined by Juan Castro, Jon Garland, Mark Loretta, Eric Milton,Guillermo Mota, Will Ohman, Jason Schmidt and Jim Thome.

But a handful of free agents stayed. Padilla and Belliard headthat list, joined by Jeff Weaver (non-roster invitee), Brad Ausmus andDoug Mientkiewicz (non-roster invitee).

Among the other Spring subplots worth watching will be thecontinuing progress of Kershaw and the rebounds of Russell Martin, ChadBillingsley and Rafael Furcal.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Gagne to give all, acknowledges 'regret'[/h3]Reliever admits to HGH use, plans to work hard in camp

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

02/21/10 10:22 AM EST

PHOENIX -- Eric Gagne is back in blue, with the familiar No. 38jersey, and he's apparently trying to come back to a clean slate.

Re-signed Friday -- after a three-year odyssey through Texas, Boston,Milwaukee and even independent ball in his Canadian homeland -- Gagnesaid he felt like he was back home when he walked into the clubhouse atCamelback Ranch-Glendale, even though his Dodgers' Spring Trainingswere always held at Dodgertown in Florida.

Gagne, 34, is slimmer than when he left, saying his current weight of231 pounds is only about seven pounds lighter than his playing weightwith the Dodgers. He said he keeps the weight down to take pressure offhis back, having had two disks removed in 2006.

Of course, there will always be the suspicions that Gagne's obviousweight loss is a telltale sign of something else. For along with therecord 84 consecutive saves and a Cy Young Award came the distastefulrevelation of performance enhancing drug use through the MitchellReport.

Gagne didn't detail what he did back then when meeting with reporters Saturday, but he didn't deny it either.

"It is what it is and you've got to accept it," Gagne said. "I've got alot of regrets and everything, but I have to keep going and just enjoybaseball. Get back to the basics and do what I love, play baseball.

"The whole time I was here was unbelievable. There's a lot of regrets.The Mitchell Report will always be negative, will always be on myresume the rest of my life. People will second guess what I did if Ihave a good year. That's normal. But for me it's over. I've got to goon."

Gagne opened up more about his past performance-enhancing drug use inan article published Sunday in the Los Angeles Times, during which headmitted to using human growth hormones during "part" of his firsttenure with the Dodgers from 1999-06.

"I did [use HGH]," Gagne said. "I hate to talk about it. It justdoesn't do anyone any good. But I thought it would help me get betterwhen I hurt my knee. I just don't want that to sound as an excuse.

"I'm so ashamed. It wasn't smart. If I knew what I know now. ... Ididn't need it. I regret it so much, just now maybe getting over theguilt. It was stupid."

Gagne was not sure his HGH use ultimately resulted in the numerous injuries that forced him out of the big leagues last year.

"I don't know how it reacts on your body like that," he told the LosAngeles Times, "but from what I've heard, it doesn't help."

Regardless of the circumstances, Gagne was special. Nobody else hascome close to that record. He was adored by Dodgers fans and respectedby teammates.

"I still don't believe it," he said of his three All-Star seasons withthe Dodgers. "I pinch myself how crazy it was. I'm not trying to relivethat. It's impossible. All I want is to get back to the big leagues andhelp this team win a championship. I want to be part of a celebrationon the field with champagne. It's what I miss."

When it really was "Game Over" for Gagne in Los Angeles, it was notpleasant. He pitched two innings in an injury-filled 2006, watchingfrom the sidelines as the Dodgers were swept by the Mets in a playoffsthat were marred by Joe Beimel's hand injury suffered in a tavernaccident.

"That was the worst," Gagne said of being sidelined. "People don'tunderstand unless you go through it. You're paid all that money [$10million that season] and you want to perform and you can't. Your bodywon't allow it."

Gagne said his body is ready again to perform.

"I know I've got something left, but I've got to prove myself," hesaid. "I've got a mountain to climb and I want to do it. I've putmyself in a position to succeed. I'm in the best shape of my lifementally and physically."

He did that by pitching last season for the Quebec Capitales of theindependent Can-Am League, first having rehabbed a slight tear of therotator cuff that prompted his Spring release by Milwaukee. Instead ofclosing, Gagne was a starter in what he called a "controlledenvironment," throwing every five days without the abuse that relieverstake in general, and he took in particular when at his peak, leading totwo elbow operations, the back surgery and shoulder problems.

In 17 starts, Gagne went 6-6 with a 4.65 ERA and 64 strikeouts in 1022/3 innings. He originally was a starter for the Dodgers before movingto the bullpen in 2002.

"Basically," he said of his Can-Am experience, "it was a beer league.Go out, have fun. That's hard to do when you are trying to compete andyou're hurting."

Gagne said it won't be easy to make this club, and not just because hisfastball is a lot closer to 90 mph than the 100 mph he used to touch.He knows the Dodgers have plenty of relievers and few positionsavailable. He said he wants to play another three or four years, butconcedes this is likely his last chance.

But he said he would consider going to Triple-A if he doesn't make theclub out of Spring Training, even though his contract ($500,000guaranteed, $500,000 incentives) includes an out clause.

"I was in the Can-Am League. Triple-A would be like the big leagues,"Gagne said. "I talked to Ned [Colletti, Dodgers general manager] -- agood talk. He was really straightforward. I know all the spots thatmight be open, or not."

He said he'd like to play "three or four years, but I'll start with oneday." He was never known to care much for Spring Training or to take itvery seriously, usually limiting his game appearances to the minimum.But he said he's three or four weeks ahead of previous years in histraining.

"That's what happens when you have to win a job," he said.

As for his return to the Dodgers? It's been a dream, years in the making.

"I've pictured this for five years, or ever since I left," Gagne said,who left Los Angeles after the 2006 season and apparently wrote off histwo injured seasons with the Dodgers. "For me, it's like going backhome. I never wanted to leave.

"I know everybody here. It's a comfortable environment. I played withthese guys when they were kids and now they've come into their own. Ifelt this was the right time and the right place to be and I lookforward to the challenge. When you come up a Dodger, they breed you tobe a Dodger. My daughter's name is Bluu."

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Torre wants to manage LA in 2011[/h3]Skipper thinks that could be his final season at helm

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

02/20/10 6:34 PM EST

PHOENIX -- Joe Torre, who officially opens his third season as Dodgersmanager Sunday with the first workout of pitchers and catchers,confirmed Saturday that he wants and expects to manage through 2011.

Torre's current contract -- three years, $14 million -- is setto expire after this season, but he said he's confident ongoingnegotiations will result in a one-year extension. He said talks aredown to the terms.

"My people are talking to their people," he joked. "I'm excitedabout coming to Spring Training, which is a good indication. They'retalking and I'm sure we'll get something done at some point. I'm not ofa mind to go anywhere else to manage, put it that way.

"When I first came aboard, they offered two years and instead Iasked for a third year [not wanting to duplicate the lame-duck statushe had in New York]. Now I'm looking at a fourth. As long as it's stillinteresting, exciting. It was a great decision on my part to continuedoing this. It's been fun. At this point in time, yeah, I want anotheryear."

Torre will turn 70 in July. He's fourth on baseball's all-timemanagerial win list, with more postseason victories than any managerand a record-tying 14 consecutive postseason appearances.

"At some point I will dread going to Spring Training, but not at this time," Torre said.

He said 2011 will be his final year managing, "but I've said that before too -- '11 for certain will be the end."

Torre said there also have been talks about a "significant"post-managing consulting role, but that is not part of the extensionnegotiations.

Torre dismissed speculation that the slow pace of negotiationswas a sign of hesitancy because of the uncertainty over the clubownership.

"When you sign on as manager, especially if you're not goingsomewhere else, no. Otherwise you may have thought more about that,"Torre said. "Understanding the manager's job is to manage the club youhave. Hopefully, what's going on will not affect trying to win a gameor a pennant."

Torre complimented general manager Ned Colletti's offseason handling of the roster.

"Ned has done a great job making moves," said Torre. "We haven'tbeen active in big-name free agents, but we've made the moves thatneeded to be made."

The Dodgers return most of the club that was eliminated by thePhillies from the NLCS for the second consecutive season in 2009. Themain decisions to be made are the fifth starter, the starting secondbaseman, a few bench roles and whether Eric Gagne or Brian Giles hasenough left to help the team.

"The four guys we send out there are a pretty good startingfour," Torre said of Clayton Kershaw, Chad Billingsley, Hiroki Kurodaand Vicente Padilla. "We spend a lot of time talking about [number]five."

Torre said there are no previously undisclosed injuries, butfor the second consecutive camp reliever Ronald Belisario will be latebecause of visa problems in his native Venezuela.

"It's not something I like," Torre said. "Its visa problems. It probably should have been started earlier."

Ken Gurnick is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Sarah's Take: Were moves enough?[/h3]LA players need to step up following quiet offseason

As Spring Training begins for catchers and pitchers on Sunday,Dodgers fans look for an exciting season. Many of us have beendisappointed by what the Los Angeles front office has accomplished thisoffseason. On Friday, Ned Colletti signed Eric Gagne to a Minor Leaguecontract, but I think the Dodgers should have obtained more qualitypitchers.

I take my writing seriously. Research must be done or I will getembarrassed. Two weeks ago I made a mistake, and readers let me know. Ifailed to look up the name of a D-backs ace. I thought I knew the name,but I didn't. Dan Haren is one of the best pitchers in the NationalLeague. My fans let me know that I made a mistake. Of course, I wasembarrassed. When I make a mistake about baseball, it's not acceptable.This upcoming season I promise to look up everything before I write it.

I expect much from myself. I also expect much from the Los Angelesfront office and the players. For most of the 31 years I have followedthe Dodgers, they have met my expectations. However, this offseason Ifelt the front office has not done enough.

True, the Dodgers didn't need much to be competitive. However, theyneeded a dominating starter, and Colletti didn't obtain one.

Even if Colletti doesn't sign anyone else, the Dodgers' payroll will bealmost the same as last season. For what? Yes, the young club's nucleusreceived nice, well-deserved raises, but they didn't spend all of themoney that they saved from the players who left the team.

The front office used the bad economy as an excuse for not spendingmore. I don't like to hear excuses, and I don't care how much theDodgers spend if they obtain players necessary to have a goodopportunity to win a World Series championship. On paper, the Dodgersdon't seem to have the necessary components to reach that elusive goal.

This offseason, Colletti has signed many players to Minor Leaguecontracts. Most of these guys don't have much of a chance of making theteam unless players get injured. Some are too young and inexperiencedto make the team while others probably have already seen their glorydays in the Majors. Although I think the bullpen needs help, I don'tthink Gagne is the answer. He didn't pitch in the Majors during 2009.Jonathan Broxton and George Sherrill can close games well. I thinkGagne hopes for one last hurrah and wants to be able to retire as amember of the Dodgers where he started his career. I would love to seeGagne make the team and capture some of the magic that fans witnessedin 2003, but I don't see it happening.

This upcoming season I want to see Dodgers players try their best everygame. If they do, they should do fine. I think the players want tofinish what they have started by winning a World Series.

Entering the 2010 season, the Dodgers have many questions that must beanswered. Chad Billingsley needs to regain the superb form that hedisplayed in the first half of last season. Clayton Kershaw needs totake the role as the Dodgers' dominating starter at the young age of22. Hiroki Kuroda, who experienced neck pain during the offseason,needs to prove that he can stay healthy. And the Dodgers must find aconsistent fifth starter.

Rafael Furcal needs to be a terrific leadoff hitter who can steal basesat any time. Manny Ramirez must again produce runs, including somemuch-needed power. Blake DeWitt needs to make second base his own.Russell Martin needs to forget about hitting for power and concentrateon hitting for a high batting average.

The Dodgers must take every game as a challenge where they do theirbest. Although I am disappointed with the offseason, I am excited aboutthe upcoming season, and I will be ready. Will the Dodgers?

Sarah D. Morris is the editor of Sarah's Dodger Place This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

T.J. SIMERS
[h1]Is it really Game Over for Eric Gagne?[/h1][h2]He gets another shot with the Dodgers and admits he used HGH during his best years.[/h2]He was the closer, bringing down the curtain in the entertainment capital like no other, the No. 1 Dodger in blue, but now Eric Gagne will have to prove himself to make the 40-man roster, or it really will be Game Over.

It was so much fun around here, Dodgers fans breaking tradition,staying until the end of the game, down beyond left field the bullpendoor opening and "Welcome to the Jungle."

Strike one, and maybe a 98-mph fastball. The trademark sweat-soaked baseball cap, wild hair, the goggles.

Strike two, and maybe a 99-mph fastball. T-shirts for sale complete with yarn for his goatee.

Strike three, and maybe a 67-mph changeup. Domination.

"I hear that song come on the radio and I still get goose bumps,"Gagne says. "It was like that every time I came out of the bullpen.Goose bumps."

There were 55 opportunities one season to save a Dodgers game,Gagne credited with saving them all. Eventually it would be 84 in a rowover three seasons.

But today when pitchers and catchers report for spring training,Gagne's only goal will be to save his career, one pitching opportunityat a time as a minor league Dodgers invitee.

Short hair, Lasik surgery, and needing a miracle.

"Full circle," Gagne says, stops in Texas, Boston, Milwaukee andthe bottom of the baseball pits in Canada, his greatest notoriety inrecent years one of shame with the mention of his name in the MitchellReport.

"Why did you use HGH?" I ask, and he says, "I didn't."

But he knows better. He and I have had a long relationship; he'sthe guy who introduced me to a children's hospital. Heart and guts, thegreat intimidator, eight innings of splendid work by his teammatesriding on his work and almost never disappointing. How could he?

"You were using HGH, weren't you?"

"I did," he says. "I hate to talk about it. It just doesn't doanyone any good. But I thought it would help me get better when I hurtmy knee. I just don't want that to sound as an excuse.

"I'm so ashamed. It wasn't smart. If I knew what I know now. . . .I didn't need it. I regret it so much, just now maybe getting over theguilt. It was stupid."

He has four children now, returning to Los Angeles last year toshow them Dodger Stadium and the bullpen where he used to reside, laterscoring tickets from catcher and friend Russell Martin to watch the Dodgers and Cardinals in the playoffs.

"I had never been to Dodger Stadium for a game unless I wasplaying," he says. "I didn't know if I was done or not as a player, soI wanted to be there. I'm a baseball fan. I love the game and love L.A.so much. There's nothing like the atmosphere of a playoff game inDodger Stadium.

"So many good things had happened there for me, but I was worried at first -- you know, way before the game. I didn't know how

the fans might react. L.A. has the best fans in the world, but I was a little anxious."

In the third inning, Gagne was shown sitting in the stands, theovation growing louder by the second. It hit him hard. He took bothhands and blew a kiss to the crowd.

Closers don't cry. "Emotion," he says. "It really got to me."

Here he is again in L.A. by way of Arizona, still needing to be perfect, the numbers game working against him.

"My wife has asked me, 'Are you ready for this? You know people are going to be judging you, asking you questions.'

"That's all part of my past, part of my resume," he says, and whenhe's asked if he was doing HGH during the entire time he dominated orjust part of the time, he says, "part."

But you cheated -- weren't you cheating Dodgers fans?

"In my head it was different," he says, but what will he tell his own kids about his tarnished career?

"I've been asking myself the same question, but I'll tell themstraight up like I do everything else. I'll make them understand actionand reactions to those actions, and making a decision and living withthe consequences.

"I will have to live with the mistake that I made for the rest of my life."

The last five years his body has betrayed him, one injury after another, and so does he think it's because he was on HGH?

"I don't know how it reacts on your body like that," he says, "but from what I've heard, it doesn't help."

He says he's healthy now, throwing 90 mph and in time maybe 93. Hebelieves his work ethic, and his experience, which will allow him topitch rather than just throw, as well as his confounding changeup, givehim a great chance to make it.

"The only thing I know is baseball and I just love it," he says,his last appearance in the major leagues coming in 2008 and thendismissed with a frayed rotator cuff.

Instead of surgery, he has been working to build up his arm,including a stint in Independent baseball in Canada. There are no morebottom rungs to the ladder.

"Let me tell you, it's really easy to be good. It's when it's going bad that it's so tough. Those sleepless nights . . .

"But I can't tell you how excited I am right now. I'm home again. I just have to make the team."

DODGERS FYI
[h1]Dodgers' Chad Billingsley calls woes of 2009 a 'learning experience'[/h1] [h2]Pitcher says he still can't pinpoint problems after All-Star game.[/h2]
Reporting from Phoenix - A crowd of reporters in front of him. Question after question about how he fell apart late last season.

This was the kind of setting that used to make Chad Billingsley stare down at the carpet and take deep breaths before mumbling something in a shaky voice.

There were no such visible signs of nerves Saturday when Billingsleywas part of the group of pitchers and catchers who reported to theDodgers' spring-training camp.

Told that he looked uncharacteristically comfortable, Billingsleysmirked and replied, "It was a learning experience. I talked about itall second half."

Several times, Billingsley used the term "learning experience" todescribe the 2009 season, in which he went from pitching in his firstAll-Star game to barely making the Dodgers' postseason roster inOctober.

"You can totally get better from it," he said. "If you go out everyyear and it's perfect, what do you learn from it? If you throw nineinnings of shutout baseball, you don't learn."

But Billingsley said he hasn't been able to pinpoint the reason for hissecond-half slide. He was 9-3 with a 2.72 earned-run average throughJuly 14; he was 3-8 with a 5.21 ERA afterward.

Was it because of lingering effects of the hamstring problems he had in August?

"I didn't feel like it was hurting or anything," he said."Subconsciously, I don't know if I was doing it, but maybe I wasshortening up my stride."

What Billingsley said he figured out was that he had to remain calm in times of crisis, to not change anything too radically.

"You can't force the situation," he said. "I did so many differentthings. I'd come to the ballpark and didn't think a whole lot, just goout there and do it. There were times I'd study so much film, studyhitters, you just do it so much. . . . You try so many differentthings, something to break that trend."

He said he went as far as tying his shoes differently.

Billingsley didn't entirely discount the theory that his problems werea result of the previous off-season, when his training regimen wasdelayed because of a broken leg he suffered when he slipped on theice-covered porch of his Pennsylvania home.

Did he go outside to see the first snow of this winter?

"I had a year's experience," Billingsley said, shaking his head.

Belisario late again

Ronald Belisario is still in Venezuela because of visa problems, but his agent, Paul Kinzer, said the pitcher could be in camp next week. Belisario was also late to camp last year because of visa issues.

Kinzer said that part of the reason Belisario had trouble securing avisa in time was because of the misdemeanor drunk driving charges hefaces. Belisario has pleaded not guilty.

Short hops

Manager Joe Torre said his agent remains in talks with theDodgers about extending his contract by a year. Torre's currentthree-year deal expires at the end of this season. . . . When Torregoes to Taiwan next month for two split-squad exhibition games, benchcoach and presumed manager-in-training Don Mattingly willmanage the team that stays behind. . . . Pitchers and catchers willhave their first official workout Sunday. Position players aren't dueto report until Thursday. . . . Several position players reportedearly, among them Casey Blake, Jamey Carroll, Reed Johnson, Xavier Paul, Jason Repko, Ivan DeJesus Jr., and Chin-lung Hu. Manny Ramirez dropped by the complex Friday.

dylan.hernandez @latimes.com

BASEBALL
[h1]Dodgers' young core group looks solid[/h1] [h2]Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, James Loney and others have new deals heading into the season.[/h2]
Not so long ago, they were kids trying to break into the major leagues.

Together, they survived a war of words with their older teammates tomake the clubhouse theirs. Together, they went on the kind of playoffruns that were alien to an entire generation of Dodgers fans andstarted to win the kind of awards that turn solid ballplayers intostars.

And together, they became rich. Very rich.

"But there's a responsibility that comes with it," Andre Ethier said.

This winter, the so-called core of the Dodgers' roster became the coreof the Dodgers' payroll as $49.2 million of the $65.7 million spent onmajor league contracts over the off-season went to six players: Ethier,Matt Kemp, Jonathan Broxton, Russell Martin, Chad Billingsley and JamesLoney.

Three of them signed two-year deals: Ethier ($15.25 million), Kemp($10.95 million) and Broxton ($11 million), who reports to the Dodgers'spring training complex in Phoenix on Saturday with the rest of thepitchers and catchers.

"It's a big commitment on their part," Ethier said. "Two more years at that value is a big commitment to make."

Gone were the days when most, if not all, of the players mentionedabove could be signed for barely more than the minimum salary of$400,000, providing General Manager Ned Colletti with the flexibilityto sign high-profile free agents.

They let pitcher Randy Wolf and second baseman Orlando Hudson becomefree agents. They also traded fourth outfielder Juan Pierre to theChicago White Sox, saving them $3 million.

The Dodgers' most expensive free-agent signing of the winter turned outto be Vicente Padilla, who will earn $4.025 million. The othersignings: Jamey Carroll, Ronnie Belliard, Reed Johnson and Brad Ausmus.

The opening-day payroll will be in the low-$90-million area, which iswhere it was a season ago. That total includes an estimated $14.5million in salary deferments to players no longer on their roster.

This comes against a backdrop of an NL West division that looksincreasingly competitive. Only the Dodgers and doormat San Diego Padreswill have lower opening-day payrolls than they did last season.

The highest payroll in the division now belongs to the San FranciscoGiants, who will start the season owing their players around $100million. Though the Giants did not acquire the big bat that would havemade them the division favorites, they improved their offense by addingMark DeRosa and Aubrey Huff to complement a rotation headed by TimLincecum and Matt Cain.

"Every team in the division could be better," Colletti said. "I thinkArizona is better. I think Colorado is better offensively. I think ithas a chance to be a very competitive division."

The Rockies, who finished second to the Dodgers last year and won thewild card, are favored by many to win the West. They will start theseason under Jim Tracy, whose promotion to manager from bench coach inlate May coincided with their surge up the standings.

The Arizona Diamondbacks might be the division's most improved club,trading for All-Star pitcher Edwin Jackson and signing Adam LaRoche.And two key players who missed most of last season -- pitcher BrandonWebb (22-7 and 3.30 earned-run average in 2008) and left fielder ConorJackson -- are back.

So the Giants, Rockies and Diamondbacks look better than they did ayear ago. Are the Dodgers a better team than they were at the end oflast season?

"I don't know," Manager Joe Torre said. "We'll see in spring training."

The most obvious reason for concern is that they don't have an ace.

Plus, Manny Ramirez and Rafael Furcal are coming off subpar seasons andcould be reduced to becoming the supporting cast for Ethier and theother young Dodgers instead of the other way around. That is whathappened last season, and it was a pleasant surprise. This season, itwill be expected.

"As you gain more experience in this game, your salary increases, aswell as your responsibilities," Colletti said. "Your focus on winningincreases. With that comes leadership opportunities.

"You can talk about it as much as you want, but at the end of the day,it's up to them. It's up to them how much they want to be great."

That will was displayed last season.

Kemp won a Gold Glove in his first season as the Dodgers' everydaycenter fielder and added a Silver Slugger by batting .297 with 26 homeruns and 101 runs batted in. Ethier also won a Silver Slugger, hitting.272 with 31 home runs and 106 RBIs. Loney drove in 90 runs for thesecond consecutive season.

Billingsley and Broxton made their first All-Star teams, though bothended the season on painful notes, with Billingsley almost failing tomake the playoff roster and Broxton blowing a save in Game 4 of theNational League Championship Series.

The only player in that core group who regressed was Martin, who camenowhere near duplicating the form that made him an All-Star the twoprevious years.

Ethier said the financial security gained by the players should translate to better performances.

"Now, it's almost easier just to concentrate on baseball," he said."You have to show up and play and not be complacent. I'm still goinginto spring training just like I have in the past -- to earn a spot andprove that I'm the everyday right fielder. I didn't prepare anydifferent this off-season. I have the confident feeling of knowing thatthere's this commitment toward me, but at the same time, I have a lotto prove in this game and a lot to achieve."

That the group has stayed together is another source of emotional security.

"We're comfortable," Kemp said. "We played with each other all throughthe minor leagues, did all the camps and everything we had to do to getto this point. I mean, once you get used to somebody, you definitelydon't want to break that up. That's what makes the character of ourteam and the chemistry of our team so good."

[email protected]

twitter.com/dylanohernandez

[h2] Is Manny the man? [/h2]If Ramirez can regain his pre-suspension form, the middle of the Dodgers' lineup will look scary. C9

BASEBALL
[h1]Dodgers' big question: What's Manny got left?[/h1] [h2]Alineup with Ramirez, Kemp and Ethier in the middle could be potent --if the veteran outfielder hits like he did before last year'ssuspension.[/h2]
Staff writer Dylan Hernandez takes a look at the Dodgers heading into spring training.

Who's new

OF Reed Johnson, UT Jamey Carroll.

Who's gone

P Randy Wolf, 2B Orlando Hudson, OF Juan Pierre, UT Juan Castro, UTMark Loretta, P Guillermo Mota, P Jon Garland, P Will Ohman, PH JimThome, P Jason Schmidt, P Eric Milton.

Biggest question

How much does Manny Ramirez have left? From the time Ramirez wasacquired by the Dodgers through the first month of last season, hecould do no wrong. But everything changed when he was suspended in Mayfor 50 games for violating baseball's drug policy. Whether it wasbecause of the two-month layoff, psychological problems resulting fromthe controversy or a fastball that struck him on the wrist in July,Ramirez looked uncharacteristically impotent at the plate down thefinal stretch of the season. From July 16 on, Ramirez hit .255 with 10home runs and 34 runs batted in 68 regular-season games. He hit .263and drove in two runs in five postseason games. If Ramirez can regainthe form that earned him his two-year, $45-million contract a couple ofwinters ago and Matt Kemp and Andre Ethier remain healthy, the middleof the Dodgers' lineup could be one of the scariest in baseball.

Job seekers

Three serviceable but unspectacular candidates are vying for the onlyeveryday job up for grabs: second base. The sentimental favorite isBlake DeWitt, a homegrown prospect who was in line to start a year agountil the Dodgers signed Orlando Hudson. With Hudson having departedand the 24-year-old DeWitt short on experience -- he has started 107games in his career, 82 of them at third base -- the Dodgers signedveteran Jamey Carroll to a two-year deal this off-season. RonnieBelliard, who started in place of Hudson in the playoffs last year,became the final entrant in the three-man race when the Dodgers wereable to re-sign him at a bargain deal worth $850,000.

Keep your eye on

Rafael Furcal and Russell Martin. Only a season removed from backsurgery, Furcal was not himself for most of last year, as he batted.255 through August. The Dodgers' $30-million leadoff hitter finallyfound his rhythm in September, batting .330 and scoring 21 runs. Torrehas said that Furcal is the one who makes the Dodgers' offense go. WithRamirez, Kemp and Ethier hitting behind him, he figures to be a safebet to score well over 100 runs if he regains his form. Martin, atwo-time All-Star heading into last year, was dismal on offense -- his.250 average, seven home runs and 53 RBIs in 2009 were career lows.Martinwent back to his old strength-based training program this winter.

Reasons to be excited

Kemp and Ethier have developed into All-Star-caliber players and JamesLoney could be on the verge of the kind of breakout season theyenjoyed. The veteran cast of Ramirez, Furcal and Casey Blake providesthe lineup with a measure of stability. The bullpen had the bestearned-run average in baseball last season and returns closer JonathanBroxton, setup man George Sherrill and middle relievers Hong-Chih Kuo,Ronald Belisario and Ramon Troncoso.

Reasons to be worried

The rotation is full of question marks, starting with the fact that itlacks a proven ace. Chad Billingsley was that top-of-the-rotation armin the first half of last season, only to lose his form later on.Clayton Kershaw has the stuff and mind-set of an ace, but is still 21years old. Vicente Padilla was superb in his short stint with theDodgers last season, but his history as a troublemaker raises thequestion of whether he can perform that way over an entire year. HirokiKuroda is coming off an injury-plagued season and is now 35. TheDodgers may try out several pitchers in the fifth spot.
Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2010, The Los Angeles Times

http://www.latimes.com/

Back
Top Bottom