OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

http://[h3]
[h3]Opening Day start for Kershaw?[/h3]
8:24AM ET

[h5]
[h5]Clayton Kershaw | Dodgers [/h5]
Top http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/features/rumors#4795&title=Opening Day start for Kershaw?">http://sendtofriend.espn....20start for Kershaw?', 'sendtofriend', 'noresizable,noscrollbars,width=345,height=470');return false;" href="http://niketalk.yuku.com/editor/view#">Email

Dodgers manager Joe Torre has named his starters for the first round of Cactus League games. Do the math and Clayton Kershaw is in line for the Opening Day start in Pittsburgh on April 5.

The 21-year-old Kershaw can make a legitimate claim for the honor, and indicates that Chad Billingsley, who struggled with a 5.20 ERA last season, may no longer be viewed as a staff ace.
[/h5]
[/h3]

[h5] [/h5]

Originally Posted by sinser13

[h3]http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/id/2547/dodgers-ready-to-lift-kershaw-rules[/h3]
[h3]Dodgers ready to lift Kershaw Rules?[/h3]
By Rob Neyer

One of the oddest stats last season was Clayton Kershawposting a 2.79 ERA but winning only eight games. What makes it just abit less odd is that Kershaw averaged barely six innings per start, andthat was due in part to the Dodgers' caution with their talented youngsouthpaw. Well, they won't be quite as cautious this season:
  • Dodgersleft-hander Clayton Kershaw, who is about to start his third majorleague season, won't need to be kept on as tight a leash in terms ofhis workload as he has been in the past, Dodgers manager Joe Torre saidafter the team's first full-squad workout of spring training Friday --and after Kershaw threw live batting practice for the first time sincereporting to camp more than a week ago.

Kershaw made 30 starts last year, his first full season in themajors, but threw only 171 innings, an average of less than six perstart. Torre blamed it largely on Kershaw's tendency to throw too manypitches in the early innings, but it also was due in part to theorganization's reluctance to allow its budding star to throw too manyinnings at such a young age.

Kershaw will turn 22 next month.

"He would get frustrated when all of a sudden, he had thrown 100pitches in four innings," Torre said. "It frustrated the [heck] out ofhim.
A bit of poetic license taken by Mr. Torre, as Kershaw never threw100 pitches in four innings last year. In fact, it looks like there wasjust one game -- this one -- in which Kershaw threw 100 pitches in five innings. And that was his very first start of the season.

The Dodgers certainly did limit Kershaw's pitches. He topped out at112 pitches (twice), but otherwise was almost uniformly allowed tothrow in the 95-105 range. Which was one reason he threw only 171innings.

The other reason? After pitching against the Padres on the 4th ofSeptember, Kershaw didn't start again until the 27th; essentially helost three starts and (roughly) 18 innings because of minor shouldersoreness. Granted, if Kershaw were older maybe the Dodgers would haveallowed him to pitch through the soreness.

I believe the Dodgers have handled Kershaw almost perfectly. In histhree (full) professional seasons he's thrown 122, 171, and 184innings. He's never thrown more than 112 pitches in a major leaguegame. He'll be 22 in three weeks, and whatever happens next the Dodgerscan reasonably claim they've done everything they could to ensureKershaw's future health.

Maybe the leash will be a bit looser this season and he's sure towin more than eight games. But unless he throws more strikes -- and hemade real progress in the second half of last season -- Kershaw's notgoing to average significantly more innings per start, which should bethe real point of the thing.

Rob Neyer has his info wrong.

Kershaw's shoulder injury wasn't on his throwing shouder, which is a pretty significant error considering the context of the article

I'm so @+++ ing pissed.

I could've been at this speaking engagement tonight
smh.gif
smh.gif

Why didn't you go?

I came up on two. I got caught up, couldn't go. No one responded to my text so they went to waste :/

I'm feeling a bit under the weather. I saw someone on Craigslist selling em for $30 a pop, text him but I started feeling worse
frown.gif

TJ though, he was on point
laugh.gif

Opie getting up on stage with Sandy was
smokin.gif

roll.gif

and it was last year as well, and the year after that ... and uhh the year after that.

Originally Posted by kcenaek0rb

Sorry guys but its all New York Mets in the NL this year, pretty sure this year.
laugh.gif

Worry about your division..

Then worry about the whole league.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/02/discussion-worst-move-of-the-offseason.html[/h1]
[h1]Discussion: Worst Move Of The Offseason[/h1]
By Mike Axisa [February 27, 2010 at 8:33pm CST]

We've already talked about the best move of the offseason this evening, so now let's turn the page and discuss the worst move of the winter. Here are some candidates...
laugh.gif

+*+@+$% Ned
indifferent.gif

Well, at least it wasn't 5 years, 44 million

How do they have us playing with our BP jerseys in that Demo?
smh.gif

Finally going to hook up the PS3, it's been stored in the closet for 18 months
laugh.gif
smh.gif

MLB the Show> MLB 2K series

There is no way to justify the Jamey Carroll signing.  Not when you sign Ronnie Belliard for a fraction of the price and you have an MLB ready Blake DeWitt.

That being said it isn't the worst move of the off season.  The Phils giving all that money to Placido Polanco.  I think John Lackey is going to backfire on the Red Sox.  Brandon Lyon was a terrible signing.

I don't know why Bengie Molina is on the list either.  The Giants are not ready to hand over the Catcher's spot to Buster Posey, based on his AFL performance, and they needed someone to come back on a 1 year contract, Molina is already familiar with the pitching staff.

I ALWAYS get it but I don't even play it more than 10X

This PS3 is an occasional Blu-ray player at the most.

My BD/HD-DVD LG player gets more burn than the PS3. It's been in the backseat of the whip since January, I didn't even think about it or wonder where it was
laugh.gif

.....and this mutha !+#%#* claiming he has no money. 8 houses? really?

- Expenses for Holmby Hills home - $202,715
- Expenses for L.A. home - $9,007
- Expenses for Malibu home - $151,054
- Expenses for other Malibu home - $88,106
- Expenses for Cape Cod house - $93,279
- Expenses for Willowbend house (we don't even know where that is) - $5,048
- Expenses for Vail house - $7,784
- Expenses for Cabo house - $2,530

woah woah woah woah.. woah...... woah.

i cant buy individual tickets for yankees  and  AND  AND  AND opening day?!?!

DUDE.  did they do this last year?  I cant believe this. 

I was looking forward to picking some up tomorrow the the early sale.

im not 100% sure on the dodger suscriber presale if they allowed opening day last year, cuz my brother got 2 extra with the mini plan presale.
but theyre really trying to milk these 14+ game packs 
grin.gif

my dad told me that they were going in on the mc courts earlier on the radio talk +%%* about forcing fans to buy 14 game packs to go see the yankees play

Back
Top Bottom