**Official 2010 NY knicks pre-season thread** 10/6 vs T-wolves (PARIS) 2PM MSG/NBA TV

pimp.gif

anyways

Spoiler [+]
The irony that I'm posting this and I have it as my avy
laugh.gif

Beware Of The Yankees Hat: The Knicks Hustle

jordan6.jpg

(Big C) It’s been happening for years. We have seen players come and go and  say the famous phrase “I would not mind playing in New York.

pimp.gif

anyways

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif

jordan6.jpg

(Big C) It’s been happening for years. We have seen players come and go and  say the famous phrase “I would not mind playing in New York.

Anyone got any ideas as to a fair new CBA?
I usually tend to believe the players when it comes to Labor issues but I understand that franchises have and are losing money on the pure basketball side.

I am just going to post this and see where it takes us.

I think that the NBA should institute a Hard cap. But it should be where the Luxury tax is right now. About 70 million

Max salaries of players with 5+ years of experience should start at 12 million with at max 5% raises.
Rookie contracts end after 2 years. No team options after year 2 and teams can negotiate extensions with rookies after year one, but the second rookie scale contract year is included in any extension.
A player who's rookie contract expired has no seasonal raise rights and can only sign what is known as a Base compensation contract (one set number for length of contract)
Vet's lose their 5% raise rights if they do not sign a contract extension before their current deal expires, But Base compensation remains the same 12 million figure.
Max number of years a player can sign for should be 4 years
Extensions cannot be negotiated before the second to last season of the contract ends and can be negotiated through out the season.
MLB style drafting system except that you can draft and play or hold a HS players rights until Junior season
You can draft any HS player you want. During the holding period you have to either bring player up to League, send player to D league or pay player 10% of salary while in school. Player gets 5% of salary if on D league team (Yes you read that right.) Players full salary counts against cap.
If you draft a player and do not bring him to d league or to NBA each season that you Refuse his NBA rights you have to pay his salary to a fund that compensates teams that lose money. All teams books are evaluated by players union administration through out season.
If a reasonable dispute occurs case goes to independent arbitrator and a fine for disputed amount of money is awarded to teams that lose money.
If you are a team that has lost money and you have a dispute fall out of your favor you forfeit all net loss compensation.

I think that that is a deal that is favorable to the owners, but it gives players incentive to sign with team that drafts them. It fixes the college game a bit, while allowing HS players who are worthy of going high to go high in the draft, while providing teams that are set to lose money a bit of compensation, but a level that will vary, and will not be guaranteed.

Anyone got any ideas as to a fair new CBA?
I usually tend to believe the players when it comes to Labor issues but I understand that franchises have and are losing money on the pure basketball side.

I am just going to post this and see where it takes us.

I think that the NBA should institute a Hard cap. But it should be where the Luxury tax is right now. About 70 million

Max salaries of players with 5+ years of experience should start at 12 million with at max 5% raises.
Rookie contracts end after 2 years. No team options after year 2 and teams can negotiate extensions with rookies after year one, but the second rookie scale contract year is included in any extension.
A player who's rookie contract expired has no seasonal raise rights and can only sign what is known as a Base compensation contract (one set number for length of contract)
Vet's lose their 5% raise rights if they do not sign a contract extension before their current deal expires, But Base compensation remains the same 12 million figure.
Max number of years a player can sign for should be 4 years
Extensions cannot be negotiated before the second to last season of the contract ends and can be negotiated through out the season.
MLB style drafting system except that you can draft and play or hold a HS players rights until Junior season
You can draft any HS player you want. During the holding period you have to either bring player up to League, send player to D league or pay player 10% of salary while in school. Player gets 5% of salary if on D league team (Yes you read that right.) Players full salary counts against cap.
If you draft a player and do not bring him to d league or to NBA each season that you Refuse his NBA rights you have to pay his salary to a fund that compensates teams that lose money. All teams books are evaluated by players union administration through out season.
If a reasonable dispute occurs case goes to independent arbitrator and a fine for disputed amount of money is awarded to teams that lose money.
If you are a team that has lost money and you have a dispute fall out of your favor you forfeit all net loss compensation.

I think that that is a deal that is favorable to the owners, but it gives players incentive to sign with team that drafts them. It fixes the college game a bit, while allowing HS players who are worthy of going high to go high in the draft, while providing teams that are set to lose money a bit of compensation, but a level that will vary, and will not be guaranteed.

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

pimp.gif

anyways

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif

jordan6.jpg

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

pimp.gif

anyways

Spoiler [+]
laugh.gif

jordan6.jpg

Originally Posted by Master Zik

If NO included Peja would the trade work? Would Peja coming off the books help us or would it not matter since we would be way over the cap anyway? Don't bother asking why NO would give us Peja's expiring
laugh.gif
I'm just throwing it out there.
I'm assuming you're talking about Peja and Paul?

That would cost MORE than Paul/Okafor.

Chandler, Curry, Buike, Douglas, Walker, Turaif, and Randolph all would have to be traded in order for that to work.

Granted, that's assuming the Hornets would want to be nice to you guys and give you an expiring contract, and that's assuming they would take back a player who's contract isn't expiring after this year (Turiaf). And if they didn't want Turiaf, Gallo would HAVE to be included in the deal.

I think one of the biggest question marks in acquiring Paul for you guys, is whether they will accept Turiaf or not, because if they won't, it's going to mean having to give up Danilo, along with Douglas, Buike, Curry, and Chandler.

I wouldn't think ANYONE should be optimistic in trying to sign Carmelo next off-season. The new CBA rules could cut his salary in half for all we know.

If NO included Peja would the trade work? Would Peja coming off the books help us or would it not matter since we would be way over the cap anyway? Don't bother asking why NO would give us Peja's expiring
laugh.gif

Chandler, Curry, Buike, Douglas, Walker, Turaif, and Randolph all would have to be traded in order for that to work.

Granted, that's assuming the Hornets would want to be nice to you guys and give you an expiring contract, and that's assuming they would take back a player who's contract isn't expiring after this year (Turiaf). And if they didn't want Turiaf, Gallo would HAVE to be included in the deal.

I think one of the biggest question marks in acquiring Paul for you guys, is whether they will accept Turiaf or not, because if they won't, it's going to mean having to give up Danilo, along with Douglas, Buike, Curry, and Chandler.

I wouldn't think ANYONE should be optimistic in trying to sign Carmelo next off-season. The new CBA rules could cut his salary in half for all we know.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif

I'd be completely cool with that. We'd have plenty cap space (not as much as before)  for next summer. In this scenario, we could down the line trade Felton if he plays well enough before the deadline for a couple good bench guys. I think that would give the Knicks a better chance and earlier start to rebuild within a season if we were going through with that trade (since we'd be forced to sign w/e is left of this FA market before the season starts).

Which they probably won't but that's depending on their plans with rebuilding and for the new CBA. If Gallo's apart of it if and they don't want Turiaf so be it.
Only way I see us getting Melo is if he's already has his mind made up tom come here, him and Amar'e have talked and have some agreement, and he's willing to come here for w/e the new max is or if there isn't a max the most money he could come here for.

And I completely blanked on John Salmons, forgot all about his deal with Mil.

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

laugh.gif

I'd be completely cool with that. We'd have plenty cap space (not as much as before)  for next summer. In this scenario, we could down the line trade Felton if he plays well enough before the deadline for a couple good bench guys. I think that would give the Knicks a better chance and earlier start to rebuild within a season if we were going through with that trade (since we'd be forced to sign w/e is left of this FA market before the season starts).

Which they probably won't but that's depending on their plans with rebuilding and for the new CBA. If Gallo's apart of it if and they don't want Turiaf so be it.
Only way I see us getting Melo is if he's already has his mind made up tom come here, him and Amar'e have talked and have some agreement, and he's willing to come here for w/e the new max is or if there isn't a max the most money he could come here for.

And I completely blanked on John Salmons, forgot all about his deal with Mil.

I'd be completely cool with that. We'd have plenty cap space (not as much as before) for next summer. In this scenario, we could down the line trade Felton if he plays well enough before the deadline for a couple good bench guys. I think that would give the Knicks a better chance and earlier start to rebuild within a season if we were going through with that trade (since we'd be forced to sign w/e is left of this FA market before the season starts).

That's all assuming that the Hornets would want to play nice and give you a superstar and an expiring contract, which is highly unlikely.

I don't think Felton gets traded this year, I don't think any team would take him on unless he's expiring, which he won't be until after 2011-2012.

It's his third year that's the option, and by then we'd have a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I'm really not counting on ANYTHING until we hear what the new CBA will be, it can completely change the complexity of the NBA for years to come.

I'd be completely cool with that. We'd have plenty cap space (not as much as before) for next summer. In this scenario, we could down the line trade Felton if he plays well enough before the deadline for a couple good bench guys. I think that would give the Knicks a better chance and earlier start to rebuild within a season if we were going through with that trade (since we'd be forced to sign w/e is left of this FA market before the season starts).

That's all assuming that the Hornets would want to play nice and give you a superstar and an expiring contract, which is highly unlikely.

I don't think Felton gets traded this year, I don't think any team would take him on unless he's expiring, which he won't be until after 2011-2012.

It's his third year that's the option, and by then we'd have a new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

I'm really not counting on ANYTHING until we hear what the new CBA will be, it can completely change the complexity of the NBA for years to come.

What the hell would be the point in trading Curry for Peja, even though Peja is a guy who can actually somewhat contribute. Theres no point in trading a expiring, for another expiring.

The reason a expiring contract is so attractive, is because its expiring
laugh.gif

If anything, they'd give us Posey instead of Okafor. Either way, i wouldnt be happy giving up Gallo.

At the end of the day, unless a 3rd team can get involved, no thanks to CP3. We finally have a decent roster with a nice dept chart, and we're about to give it all away for one player? no thanks.

What the hell would be the point in trading Curry for Peja, even though Peja is a guy who can actually somewhat contribute. Theres no point in trading a expiring, for another expiring.

laugh.gif

If anything, they'd give us Posey instead of Okafor. Either way, i wouldnt be happy giving up Gallo.

At the end of the day, unless a 3rd team can get involved, no thanks to CP3. We finally have a decent roster with a nice dept chart, and we're about to give it all away for one player? no thanks.

Originally Posted by BangDak

laugh.gif

roll.gif

That second part is why I have hope that the Mavericks can and may get involved. They can get involved, shed all of New Orleans financial worries (Okafor AND Posey), and give them a couple young players (Beaubois and Jones). The Mavs can give them enough expiring contracts to get rid of Posey and Okafor's expenses after this upcoming year.

Originally Posted by BangDak

laugh.gif

roll.gif

That second part is why I have hope that the Mavericks can and may get involved. They can get involved, shed all of New Orleans financial worries (Okafor AND Posey), and give them a couple young players (Beaubois and Jones). The Mavs can give them enough expiring contracts to get rid of Posey and Okafor's expenses after this upcoming year.

I'm pretty sure Peja has more money coming off the books (yeah less reason for them to trade him) but regardless him coming off our books would still give us cap space instead of being over the cap for the next 4 years.

Back
Top Bottom