Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

This is a round-robin portion of the tournament. You get rewarded for a win and there's a huge drop off for a draw. If you keep drawing you won't advance. So the premise of the game remains just like any other sport, outscore your opponent. But it's impossible to compare World Cup matches to games in MLB/NFL/NBA where there can't be a tie. We just saw Algeria, !%#%**! ALGERIA, play well against a powerhouse in England. Once teams advance from their groups and play single elimination games, results will come down to penalty kicks where I'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seat. For right now, draws are acceptable. And again I'll return to these tiny nations (Slovenia) playing against countries that have state of the art EVERYTHING (USA).

Originally Posted by What up

This is a round-robin portion of the tournament. You get rewarded for a win and there's a huge drop off for a draw. If you keep drawing you won't advance. So the premise of the game remains just like any other sport, outscore your opponent. But it's impossible to compare World Cup matches to games in MLB/NFL/NBA where there can't be a tie. We just saw Algeria, !%#%**! ALGERIA, play well against a powerhouse in England. Once teams advance from their groups and play single elimination games, results will come down to penalty kicks where I'm sure you'll be on the edge of your seat. For right now, draws are acceptable. And again I'll return to these tiny nations (Slovenia) playing against countries that have state of the art EVERYTHING (USA).

Nope.  IMO penalty kicks are hands down the stupidest way to end a game.  So you play 90+ minutes of a game where it can be like pulling teeth to get the ball into the net....now the game is going to be decided on a contest where its a given that most shots WILL go in?  The goalie has NO chance unless he happens to guess the exact location the ball will be shot.  
In my opinon PKs to decide the game is no different than having a Homerun Derby to determine the winner of a baseball game after completing 9 tied innings, or a free throw shooting contest to determine the winner of a tied basketball game.

laugh.gif
 at this soccer discussion.

But as for todays game...*%!@ Canada!

South%20Park-%20Mothers%20Against%20Canada%20TShirts.jpg

I don't understand why Morrow had a 1-2-3 inning when he's obviously having control problems.

Stupid Molina, Rowand and Torres.

Originally Posted by dland24

Nope.  IMO penalty kicks are hands down the stupidest way to end a game.  So you play 90+ minutes of a game where it can be like pulling teeth to get the ball into the net....now the game is going to be decided on a contest where its a given that most shots WILL go in?  The goalie has NO chance unless he happens to guess the exact location the ball will be shot.  
In my opinon PKs to decide the game is no different than having a Homerun Derby to determine the winner of a baseball game after completing 9 tied innings, or a free throw shooting contest to determine the winner of a tied basketball game.

Now you just proved to me you're talking out of your %*+.

I'll just remind you that the most popular U.S. sport has the dumbest overtime rule in all of sports yet that does not deter anyone.

Changing your mind is not my objective, but hearing your arguments as to why this tournament is silly was just that.  Silly.

Im done on the subject. What we were talking about were not reasons I dislike the sport. I was just responding to what you were saying. The reason I dont like the sport is because I find it boring. And thats the epitome of what has been wrong with the WC so far. Boring, BAD soccer.

Back to the game.....

laugh.gif
at Fred Lewis' "defense"
pimp.gif
at Huff still ripping
sick.gif
at Pablo's inability to get a base hit with runners on.

At least he tied it up with that little chopper.

Zito pitching very well...just some bad breaks during that 5th but still able to get out of it.

Let's get some runzzzzzzzzzzz

If you find the sport boring, don't call the entire tournament "bad." Your opinion becomes null and void because you don't recognize the beauty in play that goes on in a 0-0 draw.

It just pisses me off when dudes who obviously hate the sport go out of their way to trash it. Even if there were exceptional games, people like you would find something wrong with them.

P.S. The Giants need a new 3rd base coach. Send your application in.

If you find the sport boring, don't call the entire tournament "bad." Your opinion becomes null and void because you don't recognize the beauty in play that goes on in a 0-0 draw.

It just pisses me off when dudes who obviously hate the sport go out of their way to trash it. Even if there were exceptional games, people like you would find something wrong with them.

P.S. The Giants need a new 3rd base coach. Send your application in.

1) Me finding soccer boring has nothing to do with the tournament being bad.  Like I said earlier, even the most outspoken soccer enthusiasts have all claimed that so far, the 2010 WC has been awful.  
2) My opinion becomes null and void because I dont find beauty in a draw?  Really?  I played soccer all my life, through high school.  There is absolutely nothing "beautiful" about a 0-0 draw.   

3) If there was an exceptional game that I watched, I would NOT trash it.  But the fact of the matter is, there hasnt been ONE exceptional game yet.  The US game today was pretty good.....but far from exceptional.

4) I used to really like Flannery.  Is he just off this season or something?  Hes TERRIBLE right now.  He wasnt this bad last year right? 

2) My opinion becomes null and void because I dont find beauty in a draw?  Really?  I played soccer all my life, through high school.  There is absolutely nothing "beautiful" about a 0-0 draw.  
Yep, your opinion loses validation because you find the game boring.  Instead of looking at the saves made by the goalie, the defensive plays that kept a team in the game and the offense adjustments you just look at the final score.  So yes, there is beauty in a draw.  You just have to be open minded.

I agree with BDavis, this was a boring $#+ game.  Algeria - England > this

Flannery has had brain farts all too often.  More so the first half of this year but he's been mediocre since he got this gig.

This team sucks on the road. It's up to the manager to get his guys ready yet they come out flat almost every single time.

[table][tr][th="col"]J. Sánchez SF
7777.jpg
[/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]S. Marcum Tor
7661.jpg
[/th] [/tr][tr][td]5-5[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]6-3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2.78[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]3.31[/td] [/tr][tr][td]77[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]67[/td] [/tr][tr][td]34[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]18[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.15[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]1.10[/td][/tr][/table]

Back
Top Bottom