Official 2011 Dallas Mavericks Off-Season Thread. VOL: 2011 NBA Champions, Welcome Rudy Fernandez!

Would rather keep Stevenson than have Rudy. At least Stevenson plays defense if he shooting 22% from the floor.

You now have a log jam at the 2 spot. Rudy, Jet, Stevenson, Roddy, DoJo. Even if they try to play Roddy at the PG you still have a problem. This either means goodbye Peja or Stevenson. Mavs already had Rudy Fernandez, his name is Jason Terry.

Would rather keep Stevenson than have Rudy. At least Stevenson plays defense if he shooting 22% from the floor.

You now have a log jam at the 2 spot. Rudy, Jet, Stevenson, Roddy, DoJo. Even if they try to play Roddy at the PG you still have a problem. This either means goodbye Peja or Stevenson. Mavs already had Rudy Fernandez, his name is Jason Terry.

Stevenson might demand too much money this off-season.

He wants a contract, a long contract, and probably more than we're willing to offer.

I like Stevenson, no doubt, but I just don't know if we can afford it.

Caron, JJ, and Chandler are more important to re-signing than he is.

Stevenson might demand too much money this off-season.

He wants a contract, a long contract, and probably more than we're willing to offer.

I like Stevenson, no doubt, but I just don't know if we can afford it.

Caron, JJ, and Chandler are more important to re-signing than he is.

Yes, I agree. Chandler, Butler, and Barea are priorities, but I would have rather tried to keep Stevenson than bring in Rudy.

Yes, I agree. Chandler, Butler, and Barea are priorities, but I would have rather tried to keep Stevenson than bring in Rudy.

Blazer fan here. Rudy is great at creating opportunity, especially as a defender. If you think he's a great shooter, lower your expectations. He's not. He needs room to operate, and he's best as a passer. He also needs a good crowd (no problem there in Dallas). I could see him working well with Chandler. I could also see him causing hell when it's time for him to show up to camp, because he really wants to go back home and play in Spain. 

Blazer fan here. Rudy is great at creating opportunity, especially as a defender. If you think he's a great shooter, lower your expectations. He's not. He needs room to operate, and he's best as a passer. He also needs a good crowd (no problem there in Dallas). I could see him working well with Chandler. I could also see him causing hell when it's time for him to show up to camp, because he really wants to go back home and play in Spain. 

Originally Posted by PMatic

Rudy Fernandez isn't the shooter that he's made out to be.

+1 and he isnt a slasher like others want to say.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Rudy Fernandez isn't the shooter that he's made out to be.

+1 and he isnt a slasher like others want to say.

I really liked the steal of Hamilton, I felt like he fit better on our team than Rudy.

Hamilton could play the 3 and 4 thus helping when Dirk is on the bench, solid player that slipped down the board that was a top 15 pick.

Hopefully Rudy works out well, he was crazy hyped coming into the league and has shown some sparks but I'm not sold.

That being said, make me a believer Rudy.

I really liked the steal of Hamilton, I felt like he fit better on our team than Rudy.

Hamilton could play the 3 and 4 thus helping when Dirk is on the bench, solid player that slipped down the board that was a top 15 pick.

Hopefully Rudy works out well, he was crazy hyped coming into the league and has shown some sparks but I'm not sold.

That being said, make me a believer Rudy.

Hamilton is only a SG/SF...he can't play the 4. And he wasn't cracking the rotation this year or even in 2 years anyway. No way Carlisle would have played him over anyone else. Hamilton is a player that needs a lot of work and a lot of great coaching. He probably would have been D-League bound this season and I don't know if playing against NBDL scrubs would have helped out his shot selection or low Bball IQ. With no summer league and a possible lockout, we might not even have been able to do anything with him for another year.

I don't think Dallas was interested in him anyway, Denver probably told them to take him

Hamilton is only a SG/SF...he can't play the 4. And he wasn't cracking the rotation this year or even in 2 years anyway. No way Carlisle would have played him over anyone else. Hamilton is a player that needs a lot of work and a lot of great coaching. He probably would have been D-League bound this season and I don't know if playing against NBDL scrubs would have helped out his shot selection or low Bball IQ. With no summer league and a possible lockout, we might not even have been able to do anything with him for another year.

I don't think Dallas was interested in him anyway, Denver probably told them to take him

I think it means more for the plans with Barea than it does Stevenson...

We all know the Mavs like to play a little small at times... Does this allow them to steal more minutes for Dirk in the regular season? You can go Kidd/Terry, Rudy, Stevenson, Marion, Chandler pretty frequently I think and field a really solid defensive lineup that won't kill you offensively either. I think that's a big thing to consider right there. You force feed Barea's minutes to Roddy and see if he can get it done. I still think there might be a PG addition somewhere down the line...

Rudy can shoot the basketball from deep. Is he elite? No. Is he really solid? Yeah, he is. He's not a great defender, but he's a solid one. He can create a little bit offensively and he passes well, too. He's really good around the rim and I think with the way the Mavs spread the floor and create space he's going to be a guy that can get an awful lot around the rim roaming the baseline... There are things he does well that I think really fit this team's offensive style.

I prefer this gamble over Jordan Hamilton's chucking !%% or any of the weak bigs that were available... There might've been a couple of guys I liked at with that pick, but it wasn't many and I don't know if any of them are better than what Rudy Fernandez flashed his first two years in the league.

Back
Top Bottom