Official 2011 Dallas Mavericks Off-Season Thread. VOL: 2011 NBA Champions, Welcome Rudy Fernandez!

Apparently, if the Mavericks aren't able to re-sign Barea, then they will call up Nick Calathes and have him join the roster. Obviously he'd be competing with Beaubois for minutes, but I'd like to see what Calathes can bring to the team, but I don't think he can replicate what Barea can do.

I think the three guys most likely to re-sign are Chandler, Cardinal, and Peja (the latter two just because they'd be cheap, just coming off championship wins, they are vets).

Would love to see Calathes on this side of the pond. I think he can contribute. Also want the Mavs to move up and draft Faried...

Would love to see Calathes on this side of the pond. I think he can contribute. Also want the Mavs to move up and draft Faried...

I've kind of fallen in love with Charles Jenkins if we stay at 26...

I've kind of fallen in love with Charles Jenkins if we stay at 26...

I think they go the foreign route, take a project and stash him away for a few years. Not having a summer league sucks and with the potential lockout could hurt these rookies so at least some of these foreign players can continue to play and develop overseas with their teams.

I think they go the foreign route, take a project and stash him away for a few years. Not having a summer league sucks and with the potential lockout could hurt these rookies so at least some of these foreign players can continue to play and develop overseas with their teams.

DALLAS -- The Mavericks traded the Nos. 26 and 57 overall picks in the NBA draft to Portland for Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Kopenen, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Fernandez is a three-year veteran shooting guard who has a career average of 9.1 points per game. Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson declined to reveal names until the trade became official, but he said the Mavericks acquired a player who could "potentially" start for them.

"The balance is a player that's a young one versus one that's been around the league for a few years and can help us win right away," Nelson said of dealing the rights to first-round pick Jordan Hamilton of Texas to Portland for a veteran. "Obviously, we're in a championship push mode."

The Mavericks have a vacancy at shooting guard with DeShawn Stevenson entering free agency. The 6-foot-6, 185-pound Fernandez could compete with Rodrigue Beaubois to be Jason Kidd's starting backcourt partner next season.

Koponen is a 6-foot-4 Finnish point guard selected by the Trail Blazers in the second round of the 2007 draft. He has played the last three seasons for Italian powerhouse Virtus Bologna, averaging 12.1 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game after recovering from a foot injury this season.

"This was our A scenario," Nelson said of the deal.

DALLAS -- The Mavericks traded the Nos. 26 and 57 overall picks in the NBA draft to Portland for Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Kopenen, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein.

Fernandez is a three-year veteran shooting guard who has a career average of 9.1 points per game. Dallas president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson declined to reveal names until the trade became official, but he said the Mavericks acquired a player who could "potentially" start for them.

"The balance is a player that's a young one versus one that's been around the league for a few years and can help us win right away," Nelson said of dealing the rights to first-round pick Jordan Hamilton of Texas to Portland for a veteran. "Obviously, we're in a championship push mode."

The Mavericks have a vacancy at shooting guard with DeShawn Stevenson entering free agency. The 6-foot-6, 185-pound Fernandez could compete with Rodrigue Beaubois to be Jason Kidd's starting backcourt partner next season.

Koponen is a 6-foot-4 Finnish point guard selected by the Trail Blazers in the second round of the 2007 draft. He has played the last three seasons for Italian powerhouse Virtus Bologna, averaging 12.1 points, 2.6 rebounds and 2.1 assists per game after recovering from a foot injury this season.

"This was our A scenario," Nelson said of the deal.

I'm happy with the outcome... I like Rudy and think he may be our starting 2 next year.

I'm happy with the outcome... I like Rudy and think he may be our starting 2 next year.

Low risk, high reward. If Rudy continues to suck like he did last year, he expires in 2012 anyway and we get a nice salary dump. If he can shoot well again, he can be a nice SG that adds some offense and decent defense

Low risk, high reward. If Rudy continues to suck like he did last year, he expires in 2012 anyway and we get a nice salary dump. If he can shoot well again, he can be a nice SG that adds some offense and decent defense

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Exactly. It's why I don't mind it so much.

We either take a risk on a newcomer, or we get someone who we know what we're going to get.

How many guys on the Blazers could space the ball for Rudy? Did they have the ball movement we do?

A nice up-tempo pace could be great for Rudy's career. Can't wait to see him in a Dallas jersey.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by LiL Stevie728

Exactly. It's why I don't mind it so much.

We either take a risk on a newcomer, or we get someone who we know what we're going to get.

How many guys on the Blazers could space the ball for Rudy? Did they have the ball movement we do?

A nice up-tempo pace could be great for Rudy's career. Can't wait to see him in a Dallas jersey.
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom