Official 2011 Wimbledon Thread (vol. start on the last page)

^ Djoker doesn't have any knee problems that we know of, but a lot of the current players slide on the hard courts (which still completely blows my mind). All the Spanish players slide like they do on clay, as well as guys Monfils (who does have knee problems). Looking at the fast guys back in the day like Chang, he never slid like that... Frankly I'm surprised we haven't seen more ankle and knee issues with these guys nowadays.

Anyway, more on Fed later, but Andy, Andy, Andy... what the hell is up? Errors, errors and errors.
EDIT ~ Well that was odd... despite how bad Muzz was playing early in the match, he's swayed the momentum and is now leading 2 sets to 1.  Daveeed has lost it.

Anyway, Caro in Muzz's box.

4aa91b22e7dd8863177cf6967c2aa0dc-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

And possibly the loveliest ladies doubles final in a while...

9ed04f8b383995d48d98c2c518243693-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

^ Djoker doesn't have any knee problems that we know of, but a lot of the current players slide on the hard courts (which still completely blows my mind). All the Spanish players slide like they do on clay, as well as guys Monfils (who does have knee problems). Looking at the fast guys back in the day like Chang, he never slid like that... Frankly I'm surprised we haven't seen more ankle and knee issues with these guys nowadays.

Anyway, more on Fed later, but Andy, Andy, Andy... what the hell is up? Errors, errors and errors.
EDIT ~ Well that was odd... despite how bad Muzz was playing early in the match, he's swayed the momentum and is now leading 2 sets to 1.  Daveeed has lost it.

Anyway, Caro in Muzz's box.

4aa91b22e7dd8863177cf6967c2aa0dc-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

And possibly the loveliest ladies doubles final in a while...

9ed04f8b383995d48d98c2c518243693-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

Looking forward to both finals...
Love to see Li Na and Muzz take it, but will probably be Kim and Djoker.

Anyway back to Fed... following up on the Roddick match in 07, I wanna also bring up their 07 USO QF match. Roddick played VERY well, but was still taken out by Fed in straight sets. First 2 sets were tiebreaks, while Roddick probably lost a lot of confidence for the 3rd... lost it 6-2. Anyway, Fed played some ridiculous shots in that match... lots of his trademark baseline, half-volley, flick winners and hitting all the lines. He was so quick around the court it was nuts. I'm not a Fed fan, but it was really a tremendous performance. Haven't seen stuff like that from him in a long time.

Anyway back to Fed... following up on the Roddick match in 07, I wanna also bring up their 07 USO QF match. Roddick played VERY well, but was still taken out by Fed in straight sets. First 2 sets were tiebreaks, while Roddick probably lost a lot of confidence for the 3rd... lost it 6-2. Anyway, Fed played some ridiculous shots in that match... lots of his trademark baseline, half-volley, flick winners and hitting all the lines. He was so quick around the court it was nuts. I'm not a Fed fan, but it was really a tremendous performance. Haven't seen stuff like that from him in a long time.

Am I the only one who never looks forward to the French? I probably haven't been excited to watch it since Kuerten was in his hayday. I hate that the Aussie Open is almost over.

Am I the only one who never looks forward to the French? I probably haven't been excited to watch it since Kuerten was in his hayday. I hate that the Aussie Open is almost over.

Originally Posted by SinnerP

And I don't think we ever will.  I could see RF retiring in a year or two without winning any more majors.  He'll still make it to the QF or SF in most of the tourneys but he just can't beat the Top 10 consistently anymore.  It's almost sad watching him play now.  Don't get me wrong....I think he's still a great player but he is def not the same player.  I think he's the greatest shot maker ever.  I've never seen anyone who could go from def to off with his angles.  Who else hits blind between the legs winners?!?

Originally Posted by SinnerP

And I don't think we ever will.  I could see RF retiring in a year or two without winning any more majors.  He'll still make it to the QF or SF in most of the tourneys but he just can't beat the Top 10 consistently anymore.  It's almost sad watching him play now.  Don't get me wrong....I think he's still a great player but he is def not the same player.  I think he's the greatest shot maker ever.  I've never seen anyone who could go from def to off with his angles.  Who else hits blind between the legs winners?!?

NAILS... especially after those first 2 shaky games... 1 set away from history.
8b0905d4a26a1c6f36301e287238ed17-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

NAILS... especially after those first 2 shaky games... 1 set away from history.
8b0905d4a26a1c6f36301e287238ed17-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

Congrats to Kim. Tough loss for Ni La, but considering this is her first time in a final, she should have more opportunities in the future.

Hopefully Murray can win his first GS title tomorrow.

Congrats to Kim. Tough loss for Ni La, but considering this is her first time in a final, she should have more opportunities in the future.

Hopefully Murray can win his first GS title tomorrow.

Ehh... a good fight and a very respectable match. She had her chances, but Kim's a 3 (now 4) GS winner so experience definitely played a part.  A tremendous run.
A historic day in tennis nonetheless.

Congrats to both ladies...

6d5e8e2693e84fd01f318878bd2d2bbe-getty-106786210st142_2011_austral.jpg

No doubt.

6a00d83423e30253ef0147e215f51f970b-pi

Ehh... a good fight and a very respectable match. She had her chances, but Kim's a 3 (now 4) GS winner so experience definitely played a part.  A tremendous run.
A historic day in tennis nonetheless.

Congrats to both ladies...

6d5e8e2693e84fd01f318878bd2d2bbe-getty-106786210st142_2011_austral.jpg

No doubt.

6a00d83423e30253ef0147e215f51f970b-pi

Not feeling Li at all.

she is either a phony or a weak minded individual. complaining about every little thing... really
30t6p3b.gif

Not feeling Li at all.

she is either a phony or a weak minded individual. complaining about every little thing... really
30t6p3b.gif

^ Which incident are you referring to? When they were using flash-photography or when certain individuals were shouting out in the middle of the rallies? Both of which tennis players have a right to complain about. Our coverage went to commercial during the change-overs, so I missed her actual conversation with the chair-ump, but from what I read, those were the "incidents".

She's definitely not phony or weak minded IMO... all things considered (that she was in her first GS final and with a lot of pressure from all of China), I thought she played very well, especially in the 1st set where she really took it to Kim and basically outplayed her. Kim stepped-up her game in the 2nd and 3rd, causing Li to crumble a bit. Kim's experience and ability to move up a gear was the major difference.

Back
Top Bottom