Official 2011 Wimbledon Thread (vol. start on the last page)

So... would an official tennis thread hold any interest around here?

I'm trying to make an effort to follow more than just the slams.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

make one.

30t6p3b.gif
Roddick has pulled out of the French

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

make one.

30t6p3b.gif
Roddick has pulled out of the French

^ I watch all sorts of tennis, but am not really interested in making and maintaining a thread. Plus, I doubt there'd ultimately be enough interest on NT for a thread to stay alive. No doubt I'll contribute as much as I can though.

Realistically, Roddick never had a shot at a good RG result. I'd rather he work on recovering and preparing for Wimbledon, where he has a much better shot.

^ I watch all sorts of tennis, but am not really interested in making and maintaining a thread. Plus, I doubt there'd ultimately be enough interest on NT for a thread to stay alive. No doubt I'll contribute as much as I can though.

Realistically, Roddick never had a shot at a good RG result. I'd rather he work on recovering and preparing for Wimbledon, where he has a much better shot.

Back in the end of '03, you really felt that Roger and Andy would have been the dominant two for years to come. Roger had won Wimbledon and Andy had a great summer leading up to his USO win. Then in '04 Roger basically started his "quest to be the GOAT" run and it was a wrap. Andy never really got better, and even after multiple coaching changes, things just never materialized (with injuries also setting him back). 
I always root for the guy, but I don't see him making another breakthrough anytime soon. In retrospect, it's a good thing he came back to beat Nalbandian in '04 or else he would be one of the best players never to have one a slam.

Still, the guy is living the life. Playing a sport he loves, making great money, traveling the world and being with the likes of Mandy Moore, Lauren Bedford and currently Brooklyn Decker.

And just to double-check, the year is almost halfway over, but is Nole still undefeated? 
sick.gif

Back in the end of '03, you really felt that Roger and Andy would have been the dominant two for years to come. Roger had won Wimbledon and Andy had a great summer leading up to his USO win. Then in '04 Roger basically started his "quest to be the GOAT" run and it was a wrap. Andy never really got better, and even after multiple coaching changes, things just never materialized (with injuries also setting him back). 
I always root for the guy, but I don't see him making another breakthrough anytime soon. In retrospect, it's a good thing he came back to beat Nalbandian in '04 or else he would be one of the best players never to have one a slam.

Still, the guy is living the life. Playing a sport he loves, making great money, traveling the world and being with the likes of Mandy Moore, Lauren Bedford and currently Brooklyn Decker.

And just to double-check, the year is almost halfway over, but is Nole still undefeated? 
sick.gif

I think it would be cool to have one. I'd contribute as much as possible as well.

I try to watch as much as I can whenever the non-majors are on, but it's hard to find them sometimes and make time for them.

I think it would be cool to have one. I'd contribute as much as possible as well.

I try to watch as much as I can whenever the non-majors are on, but it's hard to find them sometimes and make time for them.

I'm down for one but SinnerP and I threw around the idea last year and people didn't seem all that interested . FO starts Sunday and Djoker has been killin fools as of late. He's worked up Rafa at least 4 times and 2 of those matches were on clay.

I'm down for one but SinnerP and I threw around the idea last year and people didn't seem all that interested . FO starts Sunday and Djoker has been killin fools as of late. He's worked up Rafa at least 4 times and 2 of those matches were on clay.

The season is just too spaced out to really have great conversations about it. Yeah you had Djoker being a subject and bringing some interests to these pre french open tourneys, but the gap from the Aus to the French makes tennis uninteresting. Then after Wimby the road to the US open is eh. I rarely get into the masters series stuff. If anything a thread would survive from the French to the end of the US Open. That would probably be the window in which to generate interest.

The season is just too spaced out to really have great conversations about it. Yeah you had Djoker being a subject and bringing some interests to these pre french open tourneys, but the gap from the Aus to the French makes tennis uninteresting. Then after Wimby the road to the US open is eh. I rarely get into the masters series stuff. If anything a thread would survive from the French to the end of the US Open. That would probably be the window in which to generate interest.

I think what hurts tennis on NT is that most of the action between the oz open and the french open takes place in europe and isn't televised in the US. Espn3 does a decent job but without the tennis channel or eurosport we rarely get to see the tournaments.

I think what hurts tennis on NT is that most of the action between the oz open and the french open takes place in europe and isn't televised in the US. Espn3 does a decent job but without the tennis channel or eurosport we rarely get to see the tournaments.

Yeah, well that's the thing. The interest on NT only seems to be on the slams, which is a bit of a shame cuz there are so many other Masters and Premier events that fills in the gaps, so I guess its a little unfair to say that the "season is too spaced out".
Too bad the US doesn't get more tourneys on mainstream TV, but given the state of American tennis, I guess I can understand why.

yeah, Djoker's streak is at 37. And like aepps said, he's beaten the last 4 finals against Rafa. 2 on hard and shockingly, 2 on clay. Its not often you see Rafa getting thrown side to side on clay. It was truly amazing.

Yeah, well that's the thing. The interest on NT only seems to be on the slams, which is a bit of a shame cuz there are so many other Masters and Premier events that fills in the gaps, so I guess its a little unfair to say that the "season is too spaced out".
Too bad the US doesn't get more tourneys on mainstream TV, but given the state of American tennis, I guess I can understand why.

yeah, Djoker's streak is at 37. And like aepps said, he's beaten the last 4 finals against Rafa. 2 on hard and shockingly, 2 on clay. Its not often you see Rafa getting thrown side to side on clay. It was truly amazing.

I haven't kept up with tennis in awhile.  It is truly shocking to see that Djoker has been dominating Rafa lately on his own surface as well.  I never thought I'd see the day that Djoker would be the top guy.  I thought he'd be like Roddick and never be able to catch up to Roger and Rafa.  Will Nadal still be the favorite going into the slam?

I haven't kept up with tennis in awhile.  It is truly shocking to see that Djoker has been dominating Rafa lately on his own surface as well.  I never thought I'd see the day that Djoker would be the top guy.  I thought he'd be like Roddick and never be able to catch up to Roger and Rafa.  Will Nadal still be the favorite going into the slam?

Roddick is an average player with an above average weapon. He's done the best he can do but once player gets him into a rally he has a hard time winning. Roddick's lone slam victory was a product of a very favorable draw and crowd interference. There is no way he wins that semi finals match without the crowd getting involved. His issue is a talent one, nothing more or less.

Back
Top Bottom