Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

Eh, his comp there wasn't great at all except for the Kessler win.

I think he mauls him to a Split decision.

Just my opinion of course.

well we're talking about career, not what they'd do in a fight...

That's debatable, I'd edge toward Ward as well however.

^ my explanation of poor mans version of floyd is he plays good defense he controls the ring and doesn't take risks unless it benefits him... and he has a good chin so he can definitely take punches...
His temperament you mean then..

Watch Hopkins vs. Trinidad, you'll see a more complete version of Ward.

well we're talking about career, not what they'd do in a fight...
That's debatable, I'd edge toward Ward as well however.
Froch, Kessler, Abraham, Green, Bika, Miranda.

Some good names, not the greatest fighters but solid nontheless.

Who are Calzaghe's 5 best wins?

You think Ward would do better than Joe in a match up against Roy?

yes, Ward and Hopkins very similar.

except the Executioner's Jab was Strong. Ward just keeps it out there to get inside easier

Froch, Kessler, Abraham, Green, Bika, Miranda.

Some good names, not the greatest fighters but solid nontheless.

Who are Calzaghe's 5 best wins?

You think Ward would do better than Joe in a match up against Roy?

Prime Roy would've ate both of them alive. Unequivocally, Roy Jones Jr is the greatest 168 LBer we'll probably see in our life-times, maybe ever.

That said, Calzaghe's biggest knock has always been that he fought his best opponents when those opponents were past their prime, I'd argue that he was past his prime as well however, when he fought those opponents.

Last edited:
Yep, they're not exactly the same, Ward liking the inside more and staying longer there to maul and smother punches, Hopkins preferring mid range

dropping over hand rights and lead left hooks.

That's exactly the fight I'd like to see as well.
Pro: Pav has a puncher's chance at the least against S.O.G. I'm rooting for him because of the substance abuse history. Hope Ghost can overcome the trials and tribulations tainting an otherwise impressive boxing career. Still upset he's got two on Jermain, though. Pav hasn't really fought anyone significant since the Maravilla loss. Should he jump into a Ward or Kessler fight purely for the money, or wait after another significant fight that serves as a bit of a tune-up?

I hope so too but he's not ready for this fight. If ever. Plus, I don't think the power 100% carried over to 168. He'll jump into a fight for the money but outside of Ward, he'll have a shot against Kessler, Froch and Bute.

Prime Roy would've ate both of them alive. Unequivocally, Roy Jones Jr is the greatest 168 LBer we'll probably see in our life-times, maybe ever.
It ain't fair, Roy was like Superman.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

175 is when I worry more about Roy, with fighters like Moore, Charles, Foster, Spinks, Qawi,  EMM, Patterson, etc..

Just stacked with talent Light Heavy is.

yes, Ward and Hopkins very similar.
except the Executioner's Jab was Strong. Ward just keeps it out there to get inside easier

:lol: TBH that makes it so hard to hate him because I loved Hopkins a lot and Ward is so similar to him.

And yea, Joe C's resume is the Frank Warren special :lol: always hypes up the big fights with his fighters then matches them very weak. But Joe is still top 2 at 168.

That's exactly the fight I'd like to see as well.
Pro: Pav has a puncher's chance at the least against S.O.G. I'm rooting for him because of the substance abuse history. Hope Ghost can overcome the trials and tribulations tainting an otherwise impressive boxing career. Still upset he's got two on Jermain, though. Pav hasn't really fought anyone significant since the Maravilla loss. Should he jump into a Ward or Kessler fight purely for the money, or wait after another significant fight that serves as a bit of a tune-up?

Ward will take away what's left of Pavlik's soul. I don't want to see that. Ward should take another fight at SMW then move up to light heavyweight to rematch Dawson and fight Pascal, Cloud, etc.

Maravilla is gonna eat this kid's food.

I think if he wins this fight, he'll be concise about his next desired opponent (as he's alluded to already).

PBF.

IMO MW is too deep for him to go for Floyd. Geale, Golovkin, Sturm, Pirog, Quillin and Murray. But I understand he needs a big money fight soon. Speaking of GGG he said he'd fight anyone 154 to 168...:lol:

IMO MW is too deep for him to go for Floyd. Geale, Golovkin, Sturm, Pirog, Quillin and Murray. But I understand he needs a big money fight soon. Speaking of GGG he said he'd fight anyone 154 to 168...:lol:

He dead *** too. :lol: He'd fight Ward next week if he could.

Chad Dawson is about as mentally tough as Victor Ortiz. I was hopin' for Chad to prove me wrong but it's same old story with him.

Last edited:
calzaghe is so overrated dude fought NOBODY!

dawson has so much talent and no heart.

i have a hard time seen anyone beat ward right now

as I said, his major knock people put on him is that he fought all his best opponents when they were past their prime.

and like I said before, I'd argue that he too was past his prime when he beat those opponents.

Take Hopkins for example, I'd argue that Hopkins was closer to his prime than Calzaghe was to his. Look at Hopkins, he still a P4P fringe top 10 fighter (prolly right outside the top 10).

Last edited:
Man, Ward tore Dawson apart tonight.

DeMarco/Molina was pretty disappointing.

Vitali was going to destroy Charr eventually, the cut was bad, and if it had persisted, would have been a Vitali-Lewis cut by the end of the night.

But that Matthysse fight man... Anyone catch it? He took some pretty damn good shots from Ajose, but was never phased. Ajose was phased like 50 damn times, but kept coming. Dude has a ton of heart. I can't wait to see another Ajose fight, and I'm intrigued to see where Matthysse goes from here.

GGG is a fool... :lol:

That said, Calzaghe's biggest knock has always been that he fought his best opponents when those opponents were past their prime, I'd argue that he was past his prime as well however, when he fought those opponents.
hopkins>roy

roy is by far the most overrated boxer in the history of the sport , ducked hopkins for lord knows how long

after their first fight , and not to mention the JUICE has to factored in ....everybody wants margarito's head but gives roy a pass because he was on team jordan , rapped and was their childhood idol .... he was beating tomato cans most of his career

on roids.

CHAD DAWSON

CARL FROCH

ARTHUR ABRAHAM

SAKIO BIKA

ALLAN GREEN

MIKEL KESSLER

thats as nice of a 2 year body count as you can think .....

he needs to stop boxing in the bay though , go to madison square garde and vegas ....gotta get his name out there.

Last edited:
its over i still don't like Ward though

x2

+1

Yeah Ward is solid nothing special. Broner vs Demarco lets make that happen a decent challenge for Broner. I know Ghost gonna be ringside trolling :lol:

Agreed. I'm still not impressed with him.

I was expecting a better fight from Chad. He had nothing, I'm surprised he lasted 10 rounds. Dude looked terrible out there. :smh:

:lol: :stoneface: @ "The 2nd greatest 168 pound fighter."

and :lol: :smh: @ that clown Adrien. I also hate when people compare him to Floyd, Floyd and his opponents were on another level, and it wasn't just one or two guys...Broner needs real competition, Period.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom