Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

50laugh.gif

What's so funny bro? Did OKC not build through draft and trades? The Cavs are tanking on purpose right now, because they're pretty much investing into the future going forward with Kyrie. I wouldn't say it's better than any Bron year - but with all the stockpiled draft picks we stole - we will be a problem soon...

OKC hit a home run with Kevin Durant, who is arguably a top-3 player in the NBA.  The OKC blueprint goes well beyond stockpiling draft picks.  Their model works because they have 3 of the top 20/25 players in the NBA on one roster. 

Cavs have.....?  In building a team through the draft, you need more than just picks....you need a bit of luck also. 
The GOD.

50laugh.gif

What's so funny bro? Did OKC not build through draft and trades? The Cavs are tanking on purpose right now, because they're pretty much investing into the future going forward with Kyrie. I wouldn't say it's better than any Bron year - but with all the stockpiled draft picks we stole - we will be a problem soon...

OKC hit a home run with Kevin Durant, who is arguably a top-3 player in the NBA.  The OKC blueprint goes well beyond stockpiling draft picks.  Their model works because they have 3 of the top 20/25 players in the NBA on one roster. 

Cavs have.....?  In building a team through the draft, you need more than just picks....you need a bit of luck also. 

Bro, just stop.    

I'll let Dre tell you...
laugh.gif

Bro, just stop.    

I'll let Dre tell you...
laugh.gif
Kyrie is a good player....but you need more than that.  It's a start, but your future is about as bright as the Wizards.  I'll put it that way. 

Originally Posted by airmaxpenny1

Cause the draft is so weak next year, if Harkless has a good year next year which he would have, he could have been a top-10 pick.

Has he signed with an agent?

He's right, the OKC Blueprint only works if you get a player in the draft that morphs into a Top 5 player in the league. Because otherwise you're going to end up like the Pacers, 76ers, Kings, etc. (ie. nothing to be ashamed about, but teams that have solid to very good players, but no clearcut #1 and no shot at getting to/past the Conference Finals)

Barring Anthony Davis to DC, the Cavs future is brighter than the Wizards.

The "OKC Blueprint" is draft superstar player, then still be awful enough the next year to get another high pick.. then STILL be bad/get lucky in the lotto the NEXT year and get ANOTHER high pick... and have them all be the right picks. You make a couple bad selections and you go from the OKC model to Orlando getting Dwight then picking Fran Vasquez, or getting Lebron then the next year getting Luke Jackson.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

The "OKC Blueprint" is draft superstar player, then still be awful enough the next year to get another high pick.. then STILL be bad/get lucky in the lotto the NEXT year and get ANOTHER high pick... and have them all be the right picks. You make a couple bad selections and you go from the OKC model to Orlando getting Dwight then picking Fran Vasquez, or getting Lebron then the next year getting Luke Jackson.
You make it sound like this is completely impossible for another team to replicate. Yeah, OKC did get "lucky" by making three home run picks in a row. They also didn't give out any dumb contracts, make any panic trades in an effort to make the 8th seed or throw away their future for the present. They nailed all their lotto picks but if they didn't, they made sure they had a future to look forward to. 
Compare that to the Cavs/Magic/Nuggets - got three elite rookies and surrounded them with veterans immediately. Right from the start, they were in the playoff race and had all that pressure on them. Not much you can improve when your best player is a rookie and the rest of the squad are overpaid vets. 

People always seem to forget that there are only like four general managers in the league that aren't completely brain dead. And one of them is Sam Presti, who did it.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

People always seem to forget that there are only like four general managers in the league that aren't completely brain dead. And one of them is Sam Presti, who did it.

Bingo.

People like to think thats what the raps are doing, just watch. How much you want to bet Bryan Colangelo drafts Harrison Barnes ad over pays what every free agents available this summer, paying Steve Nash a max contract or something. He tried desperately to overpay Wilson Chandler just didn't get the chance to.

Also don't be surprised if I set myself on fire.

Imagine if they took Noah with that Jeff Green pick instead 
eek.gif

but that draft was garbage besides Durant

Originally Posted by mgrand15

You make it sound like this is completely impossible for another team to replicate. Yeah, OKC did get "lucky" by making three home run picks in a row. They also didn't give out any dumb contracts, make any panic trades in an effort to make the 8th seed or throw away their future for the present. They nailed all their lotto picks but if they didn't, they made sure they had a future to look forward to. 
That's kind of my point. It's not impossible.. but it's not exactly common either. DoubleJs might have been joking about the Cavs and the Wizards having as bright of futures.. but he wouldn't be that far off if we're following the "OKC model". Wiz get Wall, next year they add a couple more pieces in Vesely and Singleton, then add another top 3 pick this year.. and boom there you go. It's possible but still a challenge. Presti was smart with contracts, made the right picks, and took advantage when luck presented itself. It's easy to talk about, a lot harder to actually execute.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

That's kind of my point. It's not impossible.. but it's not exactly common either. DoubleJs might have been joking about the Cavs and the Wizards having as bright of futures.. but he wouldn't be that far off if we're following the "OKC model". Wiz get Wall, next year they add a couple more pieces in Vesely and Singleton, then add another top 3 pick this year.. and boom there you go. It's possible but still a challenge. Presti was smart with contracts, made the right picks, and took advantage when luck presented itself. It's easy to talk about, a lot harder to actually execute.

Yup...that's exactly what I meant.  Cavs/Wiz are in the same boat right now. 

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

Cause the draft is so weak next year, if Harkless has a good year next year which he would have, he could have been a top-10 pick.

he will, said so at his press conference to announce last week

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

interesting mock draft by Ford.

my boy Harkless going 27? Being told he's projected 15-25.

If he goes 27, the choice to go into the draft wouldn't be a good one
Please explain.

Aside from the fact that he would no longer be in a SJU uni
Next years draft is very weak. Another year to progress, his stock and rise to much higher than 27. He has crazy potential - play another year in college and improve, it's a win win

Acting like a bad team

Here's where tanking gets really crazy: When teams with really smart front offices are forced to mimic teams with really bad front offices.

"The process of rebuilding is extremely rough on everyone," says Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo, "and unfortunately made worse by the reality that the whole system is counterintuitive. Strangely, losing may help you eventually win. But players, coaches and management are all in this place trained as competitors. How in the world do you tell a player or coach to go out there and lay down? The answer is you don’t. But I continually stress that even in defeat we must win in other ways with the intent of moving the dial forward."

In other words, build with talent, build with coaching, build with culture and build with the long-term benefits of losing.

Or take this year's worst team, the Bobcats, now run by Cho, who is well-regarded. What's plaguing the Bobcats is a history of mistakes, but also the reality that the front office -- Michael Jordan, Rod Higgins, Cho and company -- is not doing all it can to win right now. If there are cheap free agents they could add to make this team better, they have not added them. If there are better coaches available, now would not be the time to hire them.

Cho says he made something like that a condition of his joining the team. "They called me the day after I got let go by Portland," he recalls of the Bobcats. Cho had three years left on his Portland contract, and had that finest of luxuries -- he simply didn't have to work. "I had thought about taking some time off, or teaching at a high school," he told me on a recent episode of TrueHoop TV. "I thought about maybe coaching high school tennis, which I've wanted to do for a long time."

But he flew to Charlotte for a conversation that came down to a key moment, when Cho asked if the Bobcats really wanted to win. As in, did they want to win so badly that they'd be willing to follow in the footsteps of Cho's former employer, the Thunder, who won 20 games one season, and then 23 the next, in the process of amassing the core of their current team?

In other words, Cho was asking, were they willing to lose? "Are you willing," Cho remembers asking, "to take a step back to take two steps forward?"

Cho says the room answered, unanimously, "yes." A few months later, that team is 7-40.

Cho explains how the Thunder did it. When they had cap room, they didn't use it. Massive losing streaks helped too. The team's point guard of the future (Russell Westbrook) learned on the job while leading the league in turnovers.

There is no suggestion that any of the players or coaches didn't try their hardest. But the fact is the front office trotted out a young, cheap and, frankly, bad team for a good long time. Intentionally. During those same years they could have been, with a different strategy, far more competitive. But if they had done that, they'd never be leading the Western Conference right now, because they wouldn't have gotten the good players that came with the good picks that came from losing.
Link

Shame.

Def could've have been a potential top 10 pick next year.

Lavin should've put this kid in a room with Omar Cook, let em' talk.

Shame.

Def could've have been a potential top 10 pick next year.

Lavin should've put this kid in a room with Omar Cook, let em' talk.

Harkless isn't a Top 10 pick even if he would've came back. He's a 1st rounder I don't understand why y'all keep acting like he's so dumb for leaving.
laugh.gif

How is he not a top 10 pick when he gets back? Your just hating now, I might be a little bit of a homer with dude but the draft right now next year is super weak.  If he improved his shot no reason he couldn't be? Thomas Robinson wasn't a top 5 pick, nor was Evan Turner but they stayed and raised up the rankings.  He is only going to get better.  Look at the guys projected to be in next year's lottery and tell me why he couldn't be in there?

How is he not a top 10 pick when he gets back? Your just hating now, I might be a little bit of a homer with dude but the draft right now next year is super weak.  If he improved his shot no reason he couldn't be? Thomas Robinson wasn't a top 5 pick, nor was Evan Turner but they stayed and raised up the rankings.  He is only going to get better.  Look at the guys projected to be in next year's lottery and tell me why he couldn't be in there?

I think you're being an insane homer, Evan Turner?? Moe Harkness can't shoot or dribble.
laugh.gif

I'm using the example that guys develop, not comparing him to Evan Turner
laugh.gif

Evan Turner didn't get off the bench freshman year, Thomas Robinson got 7 minutes a game.  SO I'ma homer if I think a guy who might be a top 25 pick this year is a lottery pick next year in a draft that is not even half as good? Ok...

laugh.gif
Turner had a decent freshman year you're making %#@* up by saying that he didn't get off the bench. He averaged 27 minutes/game. And Robinson was behind Cole Aldrich and the two Morris brothers. I don't even know why you compared them. Harkless would probably improve his stock from being a guy that can go anywhere from 15 to the end of the 1st, to a guy that could go late in the lottery at best. Is it really worth the risk?

Back
Top Bottom