Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

I agree that the Raptors are looking to move the pick. They've been trying to package it with another young player like Ed Davis and a vet (Bargnani or Calderon). I think they want a big time player on the wing so that they can lure Steve Nash this summer. The guy most people in the league believe they are after via trade is Rudy Gay. If they stay at 8, they want a player who can get to the basket. Thus ... Waiters at 8.

per Chad Ford

laugh.gif
 @ me doing that exact same deal in the mock.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Royce White is probably a lunatic and they are being nice by saying he has anxiety.
it's possible 
laugh.gif
. same guy who announced he was quitting college basketball via youtube. 

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

I agree that the Raptors are looking to move the pick. They've been trying to package it with another young player like Ed Davis and a vet (Bargnani or Calderon). I think they want a big time player on the wing so that they can lure Steve Nash this summer. The guy most people in the league believe they are after via trade is Rudy Gay. If they stay at 8, they want a player who can get to the basket. Thus ... Waiters at 8.

per Chad Ford

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

per Chad Ford

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

happy.gif

I actually would like to keep Rudy, but it just doesn't help us financially. This deal gives us a good player on an expiring,  the lottery pick and a young player with some upside that we don't have to keep after next season (team option).

Originally Posted by solarius49

if you're the consensus #1 overall pick, and you're pretty intelligent with finance and contracts...whats the point of hiring an agent? does anybody else have views on this?
Define "pretty intelligent with contracts", because most people won't have the prior experience when it comes to signing multi-million dollar contracts, endorsement deals, etc. It's not like you're signing a lease for a new apartment or a new Honda Accord, you might be out of your element. A lot of agents are also attorneys so they're more knowledgeable and experienced with contracts than your average athlete. Not to mention, it's certainly easier to pay a professional to handle your deals and contracts than worry about it yourself. Same with having an accountant, a publicist, a personal assistant, etc. An agent is just another professional that essentially makes an athlete's life easier and allows them to focus on practicing and playing without being involved in every aspect of contract negotiations or the routine work that an agent takes care of.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Royce White is probably a lunatic and they are being nice by saying he has anxiety.
it's possible 
laugh.gif
. same guy who announced he was quitting college basketball via youtube. 
nah b you gotta be joking 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by hp15

a great sleeper is Kris Joseph, great all-around player and very skilled for his size

he had lottery potential after his sophomore year at syracuse, but he digressed. he was a slasher and it was so easy for him to get to the hoop, but he got fouled hard and had a concussion in one game and ever since then he just resorted to taking 3s.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Just curious, what specifically convinces you guys that T-Rob should be the surefire #3 selection after Davis and MKG? Meaning, exact elements of Robinson's game that make him a better pro prospect than Beal or Barnes.
I think the disparity between Barnes and Lamb is less than some think. If nothing else, Lamb has a NBA-ready jump shot. For me, it's very close between Barnes and Beal. I feel both are elite prospects and worthy top-5 selections. I'm almost certain Harrison will be a better pro prospect than college player. Same with Austin Rivers. There's limits and restrictions to the college game that often stymie a player's full potential or growth. Coaching also plays a large part, not that Roy or Coach K are to blame by any means. The scary thing about Beal is that he's advertised as a very good shooter, yet didn't shoot the ball to his full potential in one year at Florida. I expect to see better at the next level based on the tape and scouting done on Brad in HS. 

Austin Rivers was allowed to do whatever the hell he wanted to do on offense @Duke

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Originally Posted by solarius49

if you're the consensus #1 overall pick, and you're pretty intelligent with finance and contracts...whats the point of hiring an agent? does anybody else have views on this?
Define "pretty intelligent with contracts", because most people won't have the prior experience when it comes to signing multi-million dollar contracts, endorsement deals, etc. It's not like you're signing a lease for a new apartment or a new Honda Accord, you might be out of your element. A lot of agents are also attorneys so they're more knowledgeable and experienced with contracts than your average athlete. Not to mention, it's certainly easier to pay a professional to handle your deals and contracts than worry about it yourself. Same with having an accountant, a publicist, a personal assistant, etc. An agent is just another professional that essentially makes an athlete's life easier and allows them to focus on practicing and playing without being involved in every aspect of contract negotiations or the routine work that an agent takes care of.
yeah, good point.  I was just thinking that if you're the definite #1 overall pick, that most of that stuff would fall in line...but I guess the endorsements would definitely be the hardest part

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

When people say Barnes didnt live up , what do they mean? What did he lack?

They thought he would be dominant, unstoppable, NPOY type player, and that didn't happen

Originally Posted by FinallyFamous

When people say Barnes didnt live up , what do they mean? What did he lack?
Dude was getting Kobe comparisons coming out of HS.

Offensively he's looked more like Luol Deng, at best

He didnt live up to the ridiculous hype that others put on him. He was a helluva player for his 2 years. Really came on in the 2nd half of year 1 and played really well last year. He's a good basketball player, not sure what the problem is.

He didnt live up to the ridiculous hype that others put on him. He was a helluva player for his 2 years. Really came on in the 2nd half of year 1 and played really well last year. He's a good basketball player, not sure what the problem is.
Reread your first sentence then.

laugh.gif

..I really hope Cavs GM is throwing smokescreens around with claiming they want Barnes.

Dude has bust written all over him. He was better off going pro last year. He didn't prove much this year except he can be average NBA player ala` Al Harrington.

Originally Posted by diew its james

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Whatever happened to Joe Alexander?
changed his name to Wes Johnson. 

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

no but seriously...where is that guy?
Plying overseas for now. He was lighting up the NBDL
laugh.gif
 and was looking like he might be back in the league this season. Lockout stopped that. 
Look for him at an NBA summer league near you

Saw this on a Wizards blog...

not sure if this is with or w/o shoes

-Thomas Robinson is 6’8’’ 3/4, 7’3’’ wingspan

-Bradley Beal is 6’4’’ 1/4, 6’8’’ wingspan. Taller than Eric Gordon, but an inch shorter wingspan.

Back
Top Bottom