Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by Buc Em

I think a hybrid of Granger and Deng is a solid comparison for Barnes, but he had more talent and hype than either one of them coming out of high school so he may end up surpassing that. In a draft with only one sure fire star I don't know how you can ask for much more out of a guy going outside the top 3. Like Rivers, Beal and Lamb I think his game is more built for the NBA than college. He would be a solid %#! pick for the Cavs, I don't know why Cavs fans wouldn't want him. I like Lamb but he has a lot more bust potential than Barnes.

Harrison Barnes definitely was not better than Luol Deng coming out of HS. 
You saying that like both players weren't ranked top 2 coming out of HS and #1 at their position..
Deng wasn't the offensive player Barnes was in high school. 

Yeah, definitely smoke-screens by Cavs if they're making it known that they want Barnes. Obviously, they'll take him or Drummond if he's there - but they're dampening the value of the #2 pick by making it known they're looking at Barnes.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Originally Posted by Buc Em

I think a hybrid of Granger and Deng is a solid comparison for Barnes, but he had more talent and hype than either one of them coming out of high school so he may end up surpassing that. In a draft with only one sure fire star I don't know how you can ask for much more out of a guy going outside the top 3. Like Rivers, Beal and Lamb I think his game is more built for the NBA than college. He would be a solid %#! pick for the Cavs, I don't know why Cavs fans wouldn't want him. I like Lamb but he has a lot more bust potential than Barnes.

Harrison Barnes definitely was not better than Luol Deng coming out of HS. 
You saying that like both players weren't ranked top 2 coming out of HS and #1 at their position..
Deng wasn't the offensive player Barnes was in high school. 

Sir...that '10 class top 3-5 was a revolving door depending on what rankings you were looking at...vs. a very definitive top 2 players in that 03 class. Look at who Deng was balling against during HS/AAU in that time in comparison to Barnes. Really?

The Charlotte Bobcats are shopping the second overall pick, according to multiple sources.

nerd.gif

Someone gave a promise to Dion Waiters.

At least that's speculation from Yahoo and ESPN.

Austin at 6'5?

Wow. I was expecting 6'3 w/ shoes on.

Yup. This changes everything for him. If he can legitimately play SG he'll go top 10 (2nd best guard in the draft).

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Whatever happened to Joe Alexander?
changed his name to Wes Johnson. 

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

On the surprising measurements... Nike Air Combines PEs? 
widget_dXWmpNHtDe44p7UO0blBQw.jpg

Edit:

NBA Draft Combine: Withdrawals and standouts

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Jeremy Lamb and Bradley Beal sat watching their fellow shooting guards. Thomas Robinson leaned forward, itching to get a chance to go against the other power forwards.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But such is life at the NBA Combine -- where the elite players aren't allowed to play at the request of their agents.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Future number one overall pick Anthony Davis sat it out -- even though he doesn't even have an agent yet. Davis, Beal, Lamb and Robinson were joined by Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, Austin Rivers, Dion Waiters, Harrison Barnes, Andre Drummond and, yes, even Arnett Moultrie, as those who decided to sit out this year's NBA Combine.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Arnett Moultrie? Seriously.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]That meant guys like Larry Bird, Sam Presti, Danny Ainge, Mitch Kupchak and other NBA general managers were forced to watch the next tier of prospects for four hours on day one at the UIC campus on Thursday.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]They saw Damian Lillard put on a dead-eye shooting clinic. They saw big man Meyers Leonard dominate and show why he shouldn't slip out of the top 10 pick come June 28. They saw skilled Canadian Andrew Nicholson display an offensive arsenal that made Bird proud.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But they didn't see most of the guys that will shake David Stern's hand early on June 28.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]And even for the players they did watch, it wasn't an easy assessment. Most of the action wasn't live game action or even head-to-head battles. The majority was drills.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"If you've seen pre-game warmups or halftime, that's basically what this is," one high-ranking NBA executive told me. "Structured pre-game warmups."[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]OK, that may be harsh. But there wasn't a ton to be gained from the NBA Combine in terms of legit evaluation.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The real value comes in the measurements, testing and interviews. The numbers won't officially be released until Friday, but there was plenty of good news for several players. Beal checked in at 6-foot-4 1/2 with shoes, Sullinger stood at 6-foot-9, Robinson and Royce White at 6-foot-8 and Rivers at 6-foot-5. Drummond was 6-foot-11 with a 7-foot-6 wingspan. Henson's wingspan was 7-5.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The interviews began on Wednesday night and continued following the on-court action Thursday -- around 3 p.m.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Lamb said he was tied up with 30-minute interview sessions from 3 until 9 p.m. Drummond walked to his room at 5:30 with three in the books and two remaining. Some guys had eight interviews scheduled. Beal even spent 30 minutes with the Boston Celtics, a team that holds two picks in the early 20s.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]There were crazy questions. Robbie Hummel was asked by one team who, in his opinion, was the worst player at the Combine. Drummond was asked to diagram a UConn play. John Henson was posed the question what he thought he'd average in 11 minutes on this year's team.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I won't give you Hummel's answer, but Drummond succeeded and Henson's response was four points and three rebounds.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The NBA Combine is much like the one run by the NFL in that it's nearly impossible to get the top players to participate. It's high-risk, no-reward. However, Beal and Lamb would have excelled in this setting where the guards spent the majority of their time in shooting drills.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Then again, what would that have proven? We know Beal and Lamb can shoot the ball, anyway.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Well, at least most of us know that. If an NBA general manager is putting a significant stock in the NBA Combine -- or even a workout for that matter -- he probably isn't going to be successful. The scouting has been done over the course of the season, as is the case with guys like Beal and MKG. Or for the past two years with a guy like Barnes.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It would be nice to see the NBA attempt to make the event more competitive, structure it in a way where we see more two-on-two or three-on-three rather than shooting drills.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But I still love it. Any basketball fan does.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]It's fun to watch Lillard drain NBA 3-pointers with ease, to see Hummel move freely without a knee brace - and to see Kendall Marshall back on the court following the wrist injury that kept him out of the NCAA tournament.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Perry Jones III and Henson didn't back out (well, their agents didn't back out) and both showed well. Leonard, a legit 7-footer whose toughness has been questioned, was a beast. Moe Harkless and Terrence Ross' stock continued to rise with strong shooting displays. Quincy Miller struggled. So did Tony Wroten and Kevin Jones.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Lillard, the Weber State star, proved he belonged with the big boys.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"Everyone knew I could shoot," he said. "But I wanted to show it. I didn't want to people to think I'm scared."[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]"I just wanted to get the experience," added Perry Jones III. "It's a once in a lifetime thing."[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]T-Rob was rocking back and forth in his chair underneath the baseline, chomping to get on the court. Beal was locked in as well -- and you can bet Rivers didn't want to be a bystander, either.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]But go downstairs to the lobby of the Marriott Hotel in Chicago. Just watch. No one is more in demand and has more power than the agents right now.[/font]

[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]The NBA doesn't make the NBA combine. Guys like Jeff Schwartz, Jeffrey Wechsler, Mark Bartelstein and David Falk do.[/font]

Link

Anyone have any idea what the blazers are/should do with those 6 & 11 picks they got? I've seen mocks that say sullinger and Marshall, I like marshall pick but not sold on Sullenger..

My far fetched idea was they should trade the picks for Rondo. But I'm not sure we want his off the court attitude baggage

Originally Posted by 40inchBoost

My far fetched idea was they should trade the picks for Rondo. But there is no way in hell I'm not sure we want his off the court attitude baggage the Celtics would take that deal 

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

rck2sactown wrote:
your boy Vernon and Herrington have been talking about a possible deal of Thornton/#5 for Rudy. 
laugh.gif

I think I'd at least consider it...... maybe Tyreke for Rudy straight up
tongue.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Folks on the Wiz board on RealGM are throwing out all sorts of scenarios in trying to land the #10 pick from NO. There's a rumor that NO wants to move Okafor/Ariza/#10 for an expiring deal. Obviously Rashard Lewis makes the most sense from the Wizards perspective.

I'd do it, but it would also take the Wizards out of contention from the 2013 FA derby as they'd have a lot of money tied up into the current players on the roster. Hypothetically, let's say that does happen...how does this lineup look?

Wall
J.Lamb/Rivers (w. #10)
Ariza
Robinson (w. #3)
Nene

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Folks on the Wiz board on RealGM are throwing out all sorts of scenarios in trying to land the #10 pick from NO. There's a rumor that NO wants to move Okafor/Ariza/#10 for an expiring deal. Obviously Rashard Lewis makes the most sense from the Wizards perspective.
Is that a rumor or just something a member of RealGM threw out there
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Derrick Williams for the #2?

Timberwolves get their young SG in Bradley Beal or SF in Michael Kidd-Gilchrist.

I still think he'll excel if he went somewhere else... so it's kind of a double-edged sword.

Love/Rubio/MKG or Beal ... We'll see. I'm not sure how high I am on Beal anyway. Haven't really done my homework on any of these guys yet.

Cavs are win-win situation.

Kidd-Gilchrest, Beal, Barnes

Win-win situation huh? A week ago y'all we're like "BEAL OR MKG, THAT'S ALL I'M ASKING FOR. BEAL OR MKG!" and then the envelope opened up with Cavs at #4 and it was "+*%$ STERN" "NOOOOOOO".

Now a week later it's a win-win situation.
laugh.gif
30t6p3b.gif
Cavs fans.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by rck2sactown

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

Is that a rumor or just something a member of RealGM threw out there
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
Probably the latter
laugh.gif

But I'm not sure....

Hmmm I could be wrong but I doubt Williams' trade value is that high

But I'm not sure we want his off the court attitude baggage
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Nah.

Back
Top Bottom