Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Barnes playing with Kyrie
pimp.gif

Austin to Wolves
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Sounds about right for T-Rob. He hasn't grown an inch since the 12th grade and his listings magically went from 6-8 to 6-10 by junior yr at KU.

Just like Mike Beas.

Heard the Bobcats may be interested in moving the no.2 pick for Rudy. Just talk right now, but it could get interesting over the next few weeks.

MKG in Memphis
pimp.gif

I never understood the infatuation with measurements without shoes.

Ok, they want to know the accurate height, I get that; but these dudes ain't playing with their shoes off.

laugh.gif

Welp the draft combine thread is dead so I'll post in here. Royce White looks like a man amongst boys out there. That dude might be the most legit NBA player I've seen out there today. Andrew Nicholson looks AWFUL. I don't think Darius Miller missed a single shot in the bit they showed of him. Quincy Miller airballed like 4 outside shots kinda bad. Perry Jones looked kinda meh but I still think he'll be a steal if he goes outside the top 10. He just better not really think he's a SF like they were saying that he said. Dude is 6'11 240 and isn't taking any NBA small forwards off the dribble.

Originally Posted by bhzmafia14

Heard the Bobcats may be interested in moving the no.2 pick for Rudy. Just talk right now, but it could get interesting over the next few weeks.

MKG in Memphis
pimp.gif

Rudy Gay for the #2?! Yeah, can't see that happening
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

MKG in Memphis
pimp.gif

laugh.gif

If it was any other team outside of the Bobcats, I would agree. But, its not so
laugh.gif

MKG in Memphis
pimp.gif
laugh.gif
MJ taking on Gay's contract?!?! oooooook
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

..I really hope Cavs GM is throwing smokescreens around with claiming they want Barnes.

Dude has bust written all over him. He was better off going pro last year. He didn't prove much this year except he can be average NBA player ala` Al Harrington.

You comparing Barnes and Al Harrington?
laugh.gif

Shoot, I was being nice with giving Barnes the comparison to Harrington
laugh.gif

Harrington was actually pretty good for a few years.

Man, I just want MKG or Beal. That is all.

I actually think Barnes will be a 18-20ppg scorer in the league.

Will that be good enough to be an all-star? Probably not consistently, but I think he will have a good career. I don't think he will reach an elite level, though. I actually feel the same way about Beal. I think Beal can be an 18-20ppg scorer and that's really good at a weak position. Will he ever reach elite status? Probably not.

What in the world......... we better trade down to 8-12 if we are taking him

UNC PF John Henson said his first workout will be Monday in Sacramento. Knows and likes Cousins. I could see Kings taking him at 5.
— JasonJones (@mr_jasonjones) June 7, 2012

Daring picks that can pay off
By Doug Gottlieb | ESPN Insider

With the NBA draft lottery order set and Chad Ford's most recent mock draft released, it's a good time to take a closer look at some of this year's highest-touted prospects. Because I've seen these players throughout their college careers, I'm more skeptical of a few when it comes to their NBA potential. Here is a look at five players I would be leery of taking, with a better alternative pick whom teams should consider.

1. Don't take Michael Kidd-Gilchrist ...

MKG is a phenomenal competitor, and his tenacious drive to help a team win has many thinking he can change the culture of his first NBA team. My opinion of MKG is not truly negative. In fact, I totally understand the value in finding a big-time competitor early in his growth curve. On the other hand, it is fairly obvious to most that MKG is not a true guard yet.

In the days ahead, Kidd-Gilchrist will devote his time to learning the nuances of being a guard in addition to practicing his work-in-progress jumper. In many ways MKG is a bigger, worse ball-handling, better-rebounding version of Tony Allen. People forget that Allen was a scoring machine -- minus a jump shot -- out of Oklahoma State. Allen, like MKG, has a flawed jumper but is a ferocious competitor. If an Allen clone is your idea of a top 2-guard draft pick, at least you know what you are getting.

... instead, take Jeremy Lamb
Lamb had an up-and-down season after being a huge part of UConn's national championship team in 2010-11. But most important for his future is that his ability to shoot, score and move without the ball, combined with his length and height, makes him an ideal wing draft pick.
 Gottlieb and I are on the same page for the most part. He has White top 5 on his draft board and thinks Lamb will more than likely be a star in the league. I don't quite agree with his MKG/TA comparison, mainly because MKG has something that TA didn't have coming out of college. Size. And I don't think MKG's ball handling is worse than TA's. I actually think its on par with most SF's in the league.

I think a hybrid of Granger and Deng is a solid comparison for Barnes, but he had more talent and hype than either one of them coming out of high school so he may end up surpassing that. In a draft with only one sure fire star I don't know how you can ask for much more out of a guy going outside the top 3. Like Rivers, Beal and Lamb I think his game is more built for the NBA than college. He would be a solid %#! pick for the Cavs, I don't know why Cavs fans wouldn't want him. I like Lamb but he has a lot more bust potential than Barnes.

Grizz interviewed Harrison Barnes, Kendall Marshall and John Jenkins last night. via Chris Wallace

nerd.gif

Barnes would be the perfect complement to the Grizzlies front line. He would space the floor without holding onto the ball too long and taking Gasol and Zbo out the offense at times like Rudy did. Would free up mad cap room for them too.

Who thinks MKG is a guard? Apparently, just Doug Gottlieb.

Really like the Henson to Sacramento thought. Seems like they will decide between him and Drummond.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

If Barnes has to score 18-20 PPG for your team, your team is in the lottery.

I don't believe that. He needs to work on scoring the ball more efficiently, but he was one of the top scorers per 40 minutes this season. Kinda reminds me of Rudy when it comes to that bill. Rudy doesn't score efficiently, but he's 25 years old. Barnes has a chance at improving and if he steps right into a good system, he should become better at that. 

If he goes to a lottery team where he is probably the 2nd best scoring option on that team, I think he would look a lot like how he did at UNC. He very well may be top 2-3 in rookie scoring on a lottery team. On a playoff team? He could average 12-14ppg, but I think he would be more efficient.

2-3 seasons down the line on a playoff team? I can definitely see him averaging 18-20 a game.    

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Really like the Henson to Sacramento thought. Seems like they will decide between him and Drummond.
If we are trading down, I want Terrenece Jones....

Originally Posted by Buc Em

I think a hybrid of Granger and Deng is a solid comparison for Barnes, but he had more talent and hype than either one of them coming out of high school so he may end up surpassing that. In a draft with only one sure fire star I don't know how you can ask for much more out of a guy going outside the top 3. Like Rivers, Beal and Lamb I think his game is more built for the NBA than college. He would be a solid %#! pick for the Cavs, I don't know why Cavs fans wouldn't want him. I like Lamb but he has a lot more bust potential than Barnes.

Harrison Barnes definitely was not better than Luol Deng coming out of HS. 

Originally Posted by DIOR PAINT

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Harrison Barnes definitely was not better than Luol Deng coming out of HS. 

Yeah, definitely not. That settles it.

Back
Top Bottom