Official 2012 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (94-68) World Series Champions

Per Hunter Pence's interview on KNBR last night (and I am paraphrasing): You can either hit or you cant. Minor adjustments can help, but you 99% of the time, changing a players stance and swing will not turn a bad hitter into a good one.
I still have a small glimmer of hope that Belt will be this team's first baseman of the future....but I want him on the bench or in AAA for now.

I completely disagree with that and it's been proven to mess up a TON of kids in the past. Pair that with Sabean/Bochy dicking him around the last year or so. But hey, Pence has his opinion and the experience and the industry has their own I suppose. I just think a change of scenery would do him well.

Keeping the whole change of scenery idea in mind, I was hoping that we would be able to pull a Belt for Rickie Weeks trade. I think Weeks needed a change of scenery in the worst way, and the Brewers dont exactly have a first baseman anymore.

Completely unrelated, I am now a firm advocate of Brad Penny to the rotation and Zito to....well....who cares.

1. Not sure Penny has the arm stamina for a start...yet
2. Rickie "K" Weeks?!? I'm losing respect for you Dland

Yes he strikes out a lot....but he also hits bombs. For sure it would have been a risk....but whatever its over. Just going along the lines of a change of scenery type guy. Also, you may be correct about innings with Penny. Could be the issue.

On a completely unrelated note.....did you guys hear what Bochy said yesterday? Jesus Bruce!! I'm sure you didnt mean for it to sound as bad as it did...but damn:

On whether Bochy thought Sandoval's risk would go up playing first base: "No, really, I didn't. It's usually where like in Little League, you put the fat guy over there and you didn't worry about injuries. But he did a pretty good split. I guess anytime you make a change with a player, there's a slight risk there."

:lol: and :smh: at the same time.

Pcon said he heard last night and said Bruce was laughing when he said it...in the context of it, it was a joking manner.

Good, regardless.

Rickie Weeks to me is Belt to you.

A IF version of Mike Cameron (pre eye surgery).

Rockies at +140 today. I might put a little action on them. It wouldn't surprise me if Jonathan Sanchez pitches well today. :smh:

Rockies at +140 today. I might put a little action on them. It wouldn't surprise me if Jonathan Sanchez pitches well today. :smh:
Pretty much the Sanchez we all came to know. High pitch count through the first 3 or 4 innings, averaged a walk an inning, not as many earned runs as he should've given up.

Pence is finally waking up. I'm hoping this series sweep wakes up the Giants and they gain some momentum for the remainder of the season.

Anyone know what the purpose of adding Nady to the minor-league contract? Are they planning on bringing him up for the September??

Also...I couldn't believe the Giants were trying to trade Scherholtz for Eric Chavez. SMH.

Also...I couldn't believe the Giants were trying to trade Scherholtz for Eric Chavez. SMH.
[/quote]

Why?

Besides the fact that we got Pence which was a better move, clearly.

EC= no more belt, yes Chavez is a lot older than Nate but still... his time was up.
Both have had nearly the same amount of AB and his numbers are better across the board.

I'm with Dland as far as belt is concerned.

Huge for us getting a sweep. It was against the Rockies but still. We have wasted so many chances as far as finishing off teams.

The numbers we have put up against LHP are :x (with the exception of Belt:smh: )

3/4 form the cards would be nice but I have a feeling that we split the series.

Giant Olympians?

Ryan Theriot: "I would probably win … what is it, the decathlon? Yeah. I’d win that. Because I’m a freak athlete.” (AP)
WOULD-BE GIANTS OLYMPIANS

DENVER – Ryan Theriot thought deeply on the question:

Which of his Giants teammates could win an Olympic gold medal, and in what event?

“I would probably win … what is it, the decathlon?” Theriot said. “Yeah. I’d win that. Because I’m a freak athlete.”

Baseball is no longer a medal sport (the recently traded Nate Schierholtz won a bronze in Beijing four years ago), but there are plenty of Olympic endeavors – some more random than others -- that use similar skills. And baseball players come in all shapes and sizes, from lithe Tim Lincecum to the rotund Kung Fu Panda.

Surely these world-class athletes could find their way to some medal stand in London, right?

“Oh, no joke,” said Brandon Belt, shortly after watching the American swimmers dominate the 4x100 medley relay. “I’m undefeated in the Nacogdoches city pool. I turned away all challengers. I swim like a fish. I could probably do the medley, but freestyle is my thing.”
Anyone want to get behind a #freestylebelt hashtag?

“I’ll either swim the freestyle or, you know what, I could play ping-pong,” Belt said. “I’d do that. People don’t account for my left-handedness.”

Theriot rolled his eyes.

“Have you seen those guys?” Theriot said. “You wouldn’t win one point.”

What if you combined swimming and table tennis into one event? It’s no less random than the winter biathlon, where you cross-country ski and shoot a rifle, right?

“That’s not a bad idea,” Belt said. “That might be my best chance.”

Speaking of marksmanship, several players suggested Jeremy Affeldt would hold his own in an archery competition. And as head athletic trainer Dave Groeschner said, “If it

involves shooting something, I’ll take Bumgarner.”
Yes, Madison Bumgarner was a popular mention in any of the various events involving firearms. The big left-hander actually has won a few long-distance 5-shot and 10-shot competitions in North Carolina.

“Can I use a scope?” he said.

Sure. Why not? Would he always use the same gun?

“Nope,” he said. “I’ve got lots of guns.”

Left-hander Javier Lopez said Bumgarner might be the Giants’ best chance at a medal.

“Because there’s no actual physical activity,” Lopez said.

Well, baseball players are pretty good at throwing. So maybe Pablo Sandoval could heave a shot put and Melky Cabrera, who has unleashed a few missiles to the plate this season, could be one heck of a left-handed javelin thrower (following in the footsteps of onetime international javelin competitor Felipe Alou).

As for the discus?

“Give me Hunter Pence,” Giants third base coach Tim Flannery said. “You see the way he

throws from down there? There you go.”
Pence received mentions in several categories, actually. Manager Bruce Bochy shared Flannery’s notion of the discus throw. Lopez suggested Pence “looks kind of like a beach volleyball guy to me.

“Yeah, I’ve played a little beach volleyball, but I don’t know,” Pence said. “I’ve got long arms, but I can’t extend them. And if it’s anything to do with throwing, I’ll take our pitchers. We’ve got a pretty good pitching staff here.”

This reporter suggested that Pence, with his long legs and upper body strength, might do well in sculls or one of the other rowing events.

“Rowing? Yeah, that might be my best shot,” Pence said. “It’s endurance and back strength. I could see myself being decent.”

Brad Penny told shortstop Brandon Crawford that he could medal in one of the rowing events – as hard as that might be to envision.
“I don’t see it either, but I’ll take his word for it,” Crawford said.

Let’s put down Penny for Greco-Roman wrestling, instead.

But lest we forget, baseball is a team sport. And there were several players who suggested a dynamic badminton duo of Theriot and Tim Lincecum.

“Theriot would win at badminton,” Pence said. “He’s got the quickness and the hand-eye coordination. He’s got the squirrelly mannerisms.”

Right-hander Clay Hensley mentioned that Buster Posey would make a good water polo goalie, since he’s always blocking scuds in the dirt. And he embraced the badminton idea for Lincecum as well.

“Hey Timmy, would you be good at badminton?” Hensley asked.

“Yes,” Lincecum said, matter-of-factly. “I’d be pretty good at fencing, too.”

Just make sure Affeldt doesn’t get near a foil or epee. Remember, this is the guy who stabbed his hand last year while trying to separate frozen hamburger patties. It’s a miracle Affeldt didn’t cut himself when he handled the Samurais sword given to Matt Cain after he pitched his perfect game.
Posey had a safer suggestion for Affeldt:

“I can see Affeldt in beach volleyball because of his superior physique,” Posey said, trying to swallow a smile. “If you ask him, he’ll tell you how good he’d look out there. Oh yeah, the Speedo – put him and Bumgarner on a team. Now you’re talking.”

Posey couldn’t come up with an event for himself, leading Crawford to moan, “I’m sure Buster would win in anything he’d be in.”

And as for Crawford?

“Well, for me … I guess I played basketball in high school,” he said.

A member of the Dream Team? Crawford and LeBron and Kobe, finishing on a break?

“Sure, why not?” Crawford said.

If you want an out-there suggestion, Theriot is your man. He kept coming back with more ideas, including bench coach Ron Wotus “in that run-walk thing.”

“I’ve got it. I’ve got it,” said Theriot, rushing back to offer one more wild thought. “Romo and Wilson … synchronized diving. Maybe representing the country of Mars.”
OK, time for some practical suggestions. Let’s ask strength and conditioning coach Carl Kochan, who knows these players’ physical skills and potential better than anyone:

“I’ll take Affeldt at archery, Bum with shooting, Javier Lopez with the bike/velodrome thing …” Kochan said. “I’ll take (Gregor) Blanco playing soccer and maybe Hector Sanchez, too.

He can do some tricks with a soccer ball. Let’s go with Melky in the javelin and Pablo in the shot put. And Angel Pagan with boxing.”
Boxing?

“Sure,” Kochan said. “He’s quick, explosive, powerful, selective – everything he does has a purpose. Boxing is very technical. I think he’d be good at it.”

Pagan said he laced up the gloves a few times while growing up in Puerto Rico. But he’d rather take his chances in the 100 meters or 200 meters. And he likes Bumgarner in the javelin, but only if he has animals he can aim it at.

And Pagan had a little fun with Aubrey Huff, who face-planted while trying to jump the dugout rail after Matt Cain’s perfect game.

“Hey Huffy,” Pagan said. “How about the 110-meter hurdles?”

Huff shot him a look that said everything.

But in all this discussion, both silly and serious, we’ve left out the obvious: Lincecum, the gymnast.

He has a spine-bending delivery. He walks on his hands. He can do backflips on command. It’s a given, right?

“Great call, oh, great call,” Kochan said. “I’d take him in the floor exercise because he’s

like a freaky spider monkey.”
“I’d like his chances in the all-around,” Theriot said.

Lincecum said he never tried organized gymnastics as a kid, but he thought about it.

“It was more climbing trees, messing around, jumping on a trampoline…” he said.

Trampoline? Really? Hey Timmy, you do realize that trampoline is an Olympic event, right?

“Noooo….it’s not,” Lincecum said. “Seriously?”

Seriously.

Matt Cain – Skeet shooting
Madison Bumgarner -- Rifle
Tim Lincecum – Floor exercise
Ryan Vogelsong – Platform diving
Barry Zito -- Backstroke
Brad Penny – Greco-Roman wrestling
Sergio Romo – Synchronized diving
Brian Wilson – Synchronized diving
George Kontos -- Fencing
Clay Hensley – 10,000 meters
Javier Lopez -- Cycling
Shane Loux – Kayak
Santiago Casilla – Steeplechase
Jeremy Affeldt -- Archery
Buster Posey – Water polo
Hector Sanchez – Soccer
Aubrey Huff – 110-meter hurdles
Brandon Belt – Freestyle swimming
Ryan Theriot -- Badminton
Joaquin Arias -- Handball
Pablo Sandoval – Shot put
Brandon Crawford – Equestrian
Marco Scutaro – Pommel horse
Brett Pill – Weightlifting
Gregor Blanco -- Soccer
Hunter Pence -- Discus
Melky Cabrera -- Javelin
Angel Pagan -- Boxing

Just claimed Jose Mijares from the Kansas City Royals. Solid pickup IMO. He has put up some good numbers so far this year, and looks like he could be a long term replacement for Jeremy Affeldt (who is good but makes entirely too much money IMO).

Back
Top Bottom