Official 2012 US Open Thread ( Vol. Kimmy's Last Run)

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

My dude Nole.

NOLE = BEAST

I don't think Nadal gets over this anytime soon.  He had everything in his favor (Nole's fatigue issues, the Murray Match, early crowd support, early break in the fifth) and he still couldn't beat this guy.  I guess he knows how Roger feels.

Originally Posted by Cels The YoungGod

Djokovic really got Nadal number
30t6p3b.gif
. I hope they meet up in the French finals, this time with different results

This entire situation just seems like Rafa v. Roger Part II.  We used to say the same thing about Roger and Wimbledon until Rafa got him there too.

This loss is going to sting for a while for Rafa. It's truly astonishing how quickly momentum swung in this match. Think about it, Rafa takes the first set after a seemingly slow start from Nole. Then Djoker gets going and takes the next two sets relatively easily and it would appear Nadal is all but finished. Out of nowhere, the Spaniard rallies back in the fourth set to give himself life in the final. In the fifth and final set, Rafa definitely had the advantage up 4-2 and serving with a 30-15 lead in the game. I hate to say a match comes down to one point, but Nadal is going to rue the backhand miss down the line to Nole's left for 40-15. If Rafa holds serve that game, the final is pretty much locked up. Djokovic was feeling some fatigue and his legs weren't allowing him to generate as much pace on the forehand. Another key element from this match is Rafa's aggressiveness on the forehand return. The silver lining would be that Nadal may have figured out a tactic to help defeat Djoker in future slam finals. Everyone knows Nadal's defense is supreme, but his ability and willingness to attack on forehand winners was the key to success. For whatever reason, may it be fatigue or otherwise, Rafa didn't have that same aggression in the most important games late in the fifth set. I firmly believe Nadal will win on the clay surface at the French. A lot of tennis experts are already giving Nole a significant chance to win at Roland Garros, but not me. I feel that if Nadal can defend his crown at the French that could create much needed momentum and confidence moving towards Wimbledon and the US Open. 
With all that being said, much credit to Nole. He constantly digs deep and finds a way to win regardless of fatigue or injury problems. Djoker's current form must have a place historically with the all-time tennis greats. 

SP, it was different girl sitting directly behind Jelena during the Murray semifinal. On that note, I also love myself some Kim Sears. Anyone else notice Rafa's girlfriend looking significantly tanner than usual? 

^ That wasn't Rafa's girl, Xisca...

Originally Posted by whywesteppin

smh @ djokovic making out with the trophy. that was awkward to watch.
Lol... the photogs ask the players to do that!  They always ask the winner to kiss the trophy.
Anyway... what a match.  Towards the end, I was kinda hoping Rafa would take it for the sake of their "rivalry".  This will really do a number on Rafa's head... but if anyone's mentally tough enough to bounce-back, it's him.  

Rafa will really need to work on that serve (three-quarter pace spinners on the 2nd serve not good enough) and return-of-serve. Not gonna be able to play against the top guys returning at "Melbourne".  He also got a oddly tentative at times on his backhand and started to slice too much... Djoker ate those shots up.

1000x.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

1000x.jpg

Legend.

1000x.jpg

For whywesteppin

x1000.jpg

1000x.jpg

Lol

1000x.jpg

And Jelena

1000x.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

x1000.jpg

I don't know if anyone will agree, but I think Nole's backhand is the perfect shot to go against Rafa, and that is the shot that has allowed him to dominate Rafa as of late. Since Rafa has a lefty forehand he usually always wins the forehand to backhand exchanges against 90% of the tour (both the pace and the wicked spin). Nole's backhand is so good he isn't put at the same disadvantage against Rafa as everyone else and because his forehand is better than Rafa's backhand, he is a very tough matchup for Rafa.

^ Yes, I would say so. Djoker's backhand is better than Rafa's right now and is able to counter Rafa's high-kicking topspin forehands, which Fed wasn't able to do. Rafa will be reluctant to go for Djoker's forehand as it's also a strong weapon. Not that Rafa's groundies are "weak", but right now, he's playing way too deep to be effective. Lots of his shots were dropping inside the service-line, which allowed Djoker to basically camp on the baseline.

Ultimately, I think their match-up is closer than Djoker's 7-0 recent-record against Rafa. In tonight's match, a few points here and there, and it could have been Rafa's title. Like Champ mentioned at 30-15 4-2 in the 5th, had Rafa not put that backhand sitter wide, it could have changed the outcome.

Quotes coming out of Rafa's presser seems to be pretty positive so that's a good sign.

I viewed that 30-15 4-2 point similar to the set point at 5-2 Roger had against Rafa at the FO last year. One shot can change everything. IMO had Rafa and Roger made those shots the outcome would've been different.

Nadal had it right for the taking in the 5th set. Could have gone up 5-2 but the backhand went just wide. That was the turning point...

Unbelievable match. I agree this is becoming another Federer/Nadal type rivalry (one sided). Djok is that dude right now..

If Nadal loses to Novak in a French final, I can imagine him going to a bar where Roger is already at and Roger saying "I know the feeling."  
laugh.gif

It's just weird how Roger was seen as possibly being the best ever then along comes Nadal who has his number.  Now it looks like Novak has Rafa's number.  If he continues at this pace his number of Majors will be close to Rafa's.

are we using this as the official tennis thread?

French open, has started.

airing on ESPN2 right now.

I wish my hair looked as cool as Fed's.  I should've bought one of those bandanas at the outlets.
I need to check the schedule, I missed a lot of games already.

What's this?  American women were 10-0 yesterday?  How BMS took out Lisicki, I will never know. 
And quite an escape from Vika there... down 6-7, 0-4 but was still able to comeback...

Djoko looked reasonably sharp, while Fed, despite the scoreline, made LOTS of errors. 

Rafa plays today. 

Vika's toughness was incredible. Nole looked good but he hasn't looked the same since losing his grandfather which is understandable.

^ I only watched bits of that match, but Vika had a strong comeback, but at the same time her oppo gifted a lot to her.  Had she had a bit more experience, Vika would been gone.
As for Nole, we can discount his Monaco result (grandfather) and Madrid (surface).  His loss to Rafa at Rome looked ugly, but I took into account it was rain-delayed and played on a monday (I think both guys wanted to get the hell outta there) and his performance up to the final was pretty good... took out Fed with confidence.  I wouldn't worry too much about him.  Still, with Rafa's current form... cake. 

Anyway, to say that Maria annihilated her opponent today would be an understatement. Double-bagel

1000x.jpg

Back
Top Bottom