Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the berto fight. He reminds me so much of Jeff "Left Hook" Lacey. Nothin but hype

By Dan Ambrose: WBC interim light welterweight champion Lucas Matthysse (34-2, 32 KO’s) intends on beating up WBA/WBC light welterweight champion Danny Garcia (26-0, 16 KO’s) in their fight on September 14th, taking his two title straps, and then moving forward to fight boxing’s #1 fighter in Floyd Mayweather Jr. after that.

Matthysse feels that the winner of the Garcia-Matthysse fight will get Mayweather next and he feels he’ll have no problems moving up to 147 to fight Mayweather.

Matthysse said to RingTV “I’ve heard that the winner between me and Garcia might be fighting Mayweather. Now, the winner is going to be me, so I don’t think I’ll have any problems at 147 pounds, because I have to do a special job and sort of training to get the power at 147.”

Of course, Matthysse won’t have any problems finding power to fight at 147. He’s pretty much a welterweight anyway, and Mayweather isn’t any bigger than he is after he rehydrates for the 147 lb. class. The trick is for Matthysse to land his shots.

That’s the hard part about fighting Mayweather Jr. Matthysse doesn’t need to worry about whether he has enough power to beat him. If he can land his power shots with enough regularity, he could win the fight, but it’s going to be next to impossible for Matthysse to be able to lay a glove on Mayweather because he’s so fast.

It won’t Matthysse loses to Mayweather. Just by getting the fight with him, he’s going to make big bank and do very well for himself with a career-high payday. Matthysse isn’t going to find that kind of money for one big fight anywhere else in the sport.

Matthysse shouldn’t look past Danny Garcia because it could be a tough fight for him. Danny and his father Angel Garcia are going to be studying Matthysse’s past defeats closely to try and come up with a game plan to mimic what Zab Judah and Devon Alexander did in beating Matthysse.

However, it’s difficult to picture Garcia being able to do what those two fighters did because he’s more of a pure slugger with some boxing skills mixed in. Danny isn’t going to be able to take away what he normally is. He’s going to have to slug with Matthysse because that’s the only thing that Danny does really well.

http://www.boxingnews24.com/2013/07...er-he-beats-danny-garcia/#41X2u6ZT2I8pV41B.99

Anyone shocked on how close the scores were?

Not really, if Berto doesn't get knocked down in the 12th they might have called it a draw because of the knock down Berto scored. He was out there with one arm and still put in work. There were times when you could see his shoulder falling out of place when he threw a punch. A lot of dudes would've quit but he hung in there and kept fighting.

I hate Berto, never impressed me, but he definitely earned my respect after this one.

Great night of fights from Showtime. HBO, not so much.-Chaves def impressed me, kid was game and didn't back down even after being dropped. He threw some heavy power shots too that stunned Thurman a few times. Very good test for Thurman on the other hand. Good to see he hung in there and pulled off the KO.-I felt really bad watching Berto, injury or not he will never be the Berto of a few years ago and his career is steadily on the down slope. Tons of heart in this fight though. I feel like he has a identity crisis like Bradley. Not sure if he wants to be a slick boxer or all out brawler. Soto-Karass left to the body was on point, couldn't get any better than what he was throwing.-Figueroa-Arawaka......insane.-Does anyone know why in the world they put Dirrell up against a kid making his boxing debut? Not professional, but debut period? That was a joke.Sidenote: Has anyone ordered anything from www.athleteps.com ? They have some boxing shoes I've been searching for, didn't know if they were legit or not.

Great night of fights from Showtime. HBO, not so much. -Chaves def impressed me, kid was game and didn't back down even after being dropped. He threw some heavy power shots too that stunned Thurman a few times. Very good test for Thurman on the other hand. Good to see he hung in there and pulled off the KO. -I felt really bad watching Berto, injury or not he will never be the Berto of a few years ago and his career is steadily on the down slope. Tons of heart in this fight though. I feel like he has a identity crisis like Bradley. Not sure if he wants to be a slick boxer or all out brawler. Soto-Karass left to the body was on point, couldn't get any better than what he was throwing. -Figueroa-Arawaka......insane. -Does anyone know why in the world they put Dirrell up against a kid making his boxing debut? Not professional, but debut period? That was a joke. Sidenote: Has anyone ordered anything from www.athleteps.com ? They have some boxing shoes I've been searching for, didn't know if they were legit or not.

I've ordered from athleteps before. They're legit, but Adidas boxing shoes are better than Nike.

Arakawa is a true warrior, he made that fight. If only he was stronger he would've ko'd Figueroa. Dude was smiling after every round, gotta respect that

Demetrius Andrade vs. Vanes Martirosyan on Sept. 7. It's gonna be featured on the undercard of Julio Cesar Chavez Jr vs Brian Vera.

Hey Freaky, why adidas over nike? I usually stick with Everlast but I decided to try the Nike HyperKO. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Adidas though.

Hey Freaky, why adidas over nike? I usually stick with Everlast but I decided to try the Nike HyperKO. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Adidas though.

The Nike Hyper KOs are good and they look cool. If youve made up your mind, its not a bad choice at all. But Adidas is head and shoulders above Nike as far as boxing boots.

http://www.titlemma.com/p_ALT+35+6/5+BK/GR.aspx
This is a great deal. They normally retail for 130, and even at that price it's a deal.

If you are really serious and don't mnd dropping $180-200, I suggest the Adistar boxing boot. It is heaven sent. Unless you are a big guy then it might not have enough support.

Last edited:
^ so are you an amateur boxer? I was thinking of starting myself but don't wanna end up with head problems? How brutal is amateur boxing?

^ so are you an amateur boxer? I was thinking of starting myself but don't wanna end up with head problems? How brutal is amateur boxing?

I hit the bag and mitts here and there, nothing serious. A few of my friends are/were top amateurs, I bought them hyper KOs as gifts a while back. One of them kindly asked if I could exchange them for adidas. :lol:

Amateur boxing is no walk in the park even though they wear head gear. If you go to a boxing gym for some years you see alot of guys with amateur records on the verge of turning pro, reconsider when it's their time because of the health risks and little reward. Only a select few make millions of dollars, the rest are just living paycheck to paycheck.

Yeah I feel you, I need something to get me back into shape and I was considering boxing. Not really to go pro, but more for fun

Yeah I feel you, I need something to get me back into shape and I was considering boxing. Not really to go pro, but more for fun

Oh so you just want to work out at a boxing gym, not compete. If you really want to spar, let your partner know to go easy on you and wear heavier gloves. :lol:

Last edited:
Oh so you just want to work out at a boxing gym, not compete. If you really want to spar, let your partner know to go easy on you and wear heavier gloves. :lol:
well I mean I wouldn't mind having a few amateur bouts under my belt. If I'm really good then I would consider pros

The Nike Hyper KOs are good and they look cool. If youve made up your mind, its not a bad choice at all. But Adidas is head and shoulders above Nike as far as boxing boots.

http://www.titlemma.com/p_ALT+35+6/5+BK/GR.aspx
This is a great deal. They normally retail for 130, and even at that price it's a deal.

If you are really serious and don't mnd dropping $180-200, I suggest the Adistar boxing boot. It is heaven sent. Unless you are a big guy then it might not have enough support.
Appreciate the info, those Adidas seem legit.  Might have to try them, look flexible and not too heavy.  Chiming in on alp's question, I started out hitting the bag as well.  Heavy bag, speed bag, then started on the double end bag.  Great work out and if you can dedicate full time to the sport then I say great.  It's tougher as you get older, become a family man and have a child that is.  Would love to drop everything and be in the gym all day but man these bills won't pay themselves lol.

Man what a weekend for Showtime.

All three fights were incredibly dramatic, even though the last two fights weren't really too close (although judges had Berto in it prior to the 12th).

I was shocked by how well Chavez did out there. I really hope to see him again. Thurman's power might need to be looked at again considering how hard it was to take out Chavez. I was curious if his chin would be more Sergio-esque, or Lucas-esque. We know the answer now.

I was just as much disappointed in Figueroa as I was impressed by Arakawa. I've never seen any boxer, let alone a Japanese boxer, take that kind of beating. Most Japanese fighters don't have very good chins. I wasn't impressed at all by Arakawa in any other aspect other than his heart and determimation. He had no power and his technique looked awful. But he took incredible punishment to both the head and body. Good lawd. Figueroa is a bum though. Took him twelve rounds of constantly beating up on Nihito, and still didn't get him. Not to mention that even though Arakawa had no power, he still hurt Figueroa at times. His defense was AWFUL. Tons of work to do. And I swear if I hear bushido one more time I'm going to rip all my hair out. :lol:

Looking back on Emile Griffith after this fight was sad. :frown:

Props to Berto for putting up a valiant effort when he was very obviously hurt. I was shocked he lasted so long.

Is Anybody giving Danny a chance Sept 14th?

I can't lie, I want to see the kid win.

Lucas power tho 
sick.gif
sick.gif
mean.gif

Said it before and I'll say it again

Danny has as much of a chance as Lucas IMO

Both of them have power.

Chances of you getting head problems through amateur boxing are minimal. Amateur boxing has quite a few precautions in place to protect the fighter. Example bigger gloves, Headgear, shorter rounds, standing eight counts. plus the Ref are quick to stop a fight. In all reality most head problems occur in the gym through repeated tough sparring.some of my sparring sessions have been more intense than my amateur fights and I had quite a few amateur bouts against top amateurs in National tournaments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom