Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad i didn't pay for the Mayweather Ghost fight. Most people in here predicted it right. I said Ghost gets at max 3 rounds....Mayweather's straight right....just couldn't be stopped.

But i agree with you guys. No way he fights Canelo. If i were him i wouldn't. He just made a ton of money fighting a guy who every boxing fan knew was out classed going into the fight. Why risk losing your "perfect" career to canelo for money you could make fighting a less dangerous fighter.
Canelo is too big for Mayweather I wouldn't want to see that fight. It would be like Hopkins VS Haye.

Too much size difference

1.5, maybe. I'm talking about 2 million buys. No one is sniffing that unless it's Manny/Money. I may change that based on how well Guerrero/Mayweather does, but they pimped the hell out of this fight. CBS Sports Network was non-stop Floyd/Guerrero all week. They spent a pretty penny promoting this fight, and I'm not sure how many PPV buys it'll do. It'll do better than something like Pac/Clottey, but I can see it doing sub 1.0 buys.
I will wager you right now that if Mayweather fights Canelo it will do north of 2 million buys easily. This is the fight everyone wants to see now. Hispanics will eat that PPV up. So will everyone else that hate's Mayweather and want to see him lose. This is a fight that both hardcore and casual boxing fans alike can get behind.

I dont think Danny is a better boxer than Matthyse. He may be a bit quicker but Matthysse is pretty technically sound. its what allows him to get his punches off while he lacks foot speed . He fires straight shots and right down the middle and always works the body. Danny has Zero jab and his defense is Suspect.

Guys who follow younger boxers/less known guys, who do you see as a future superstar?

Gary Russell Jr.
Jose Benavidez
Danny Jacobs
Keith Thurman
Javier Fortuna
Errol Spence Jr.
Omar Figueroa
Jesse Magdaleno
Terrell Gausha
Kareem Mayfield
Shawn Porter
Jermell Charlo
Jermall Charlo

I really enjoyed all of the fights on Saturday. Floyd proved that he still has his legs and he fought a brilliant fight. As far as the canelo floyd matchup goes Gambeino said it best when he said Floyd has no business fighting at 154 because he's too small. A catchweight fight at 150 would be great but I don't think Floyd would want to do the catchweight thing again.

Critics would argue that Floyd should move up to 154 because he is a title holder at that weight but IMO Floyd has never looked as good as he normally does at 154.

Once again, Mayweather put on a boxing clinic. You have got to appreciate his craft.
Another fight...Another clinic.
I used to think Mayweather fights were boring then I started to appreciate defense in boxing. From the beginning of this march I said he's looking to ko this guy. Something you usually don't see from Flloyd. I'd bet he knocks him out if he didn't hurt his hand.
I recorded and enjoyed all the fights.  They were very entertaining to me and loved the skills that Mayweath displayed.

Thank you both for the gifs....
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]from fight summary[/font]

Floyd Mayweather defeats Robert Guerrero ( 117-111)
766418228.gif

766417662.gif

J’Leon Love def. Gabriel Rosado via split decision (95-94 Rosado, (97-92 Love, 95-94 Love)

766355614.gif

Rosero knocks down Love in R6

Leo Santa Cruz def. Alexander Munoz by TKO (referee stoppage) at 1:05 of round 5

766370173.gif

Leo Santa Cruz

766369331.gif

Santa Cruz stops Munoz

Abner Mares def. Daniel Ponce De Leon via TKO (referee stoppage) at 2:20 of round 9

766380322.gif

Mares drops Ponce de Leon in Round 2

766393143.gif

Mares drops Ponce de Leon again in R9

766391412.gif

Ref. calls a stop to Mares/Ponce de Leon
watching floyd's elusiveness in slow mo is beautiful. im not even a boxing fan like that, but that is art.
Because Jleon Love got a decision win that he did not rightfully deserve.
 I totally agree with you on that.  I felt that Love didn't do enough to win.

Guys who follow younger boxers/less known guys, who do you see as a future superstar?

Gary Russell Jr.
Jose Benavidez
Danny Jacobs
Keith Thurman
Javier Fortuna
Errol Spence Jr.
Omar Figueroa
Jesse Magdaleno
Terrell Gausha
Kareem Mayfield
Shawn Porter
Jermell Charlo
Jermall Charlo

Out of everyone on that list the only one I can see is Errol Spence. Danny Jacobs probably won't be the same after that KO.

Last edited:
Thurman is my favorite fighter listed.

Decorated amateur career combined with deadly KO power. Seems to have enough personality and charisma to be a "superstar."

Russell Jr is the next Rigondeaux, small and skilled but no one cares. Thurman is too wild, and I think his holes will be exposed shortly.

Gary Russell Jr.
Jose Benavidez
Danny Jacobs
Keith Thurman
Javier Fortuna
Errol Spence Jr.
Omar Figueroa
Jesse Magdaleno
Terrell Gausha
Kareem Mayfield
Shawn Porter
Jermell Charlo
Jermall Charlo

Out of everyone on that list the only one I can see is Errol Spence. Danny Jacobs probably won't be the same after that KO.

He has won his last 5 fights(4 out of 5 by KO/TKO) since the Pirog fight

Please elaborate on these "holes" you speak of.

We may be seeing the same weaknesses in Thurman. Especially with a step up in competition. Also if he can't secure an early KO.

Gary Russell Jr.
Jose Benavidez
Danny Jacobs
Keith Thurman
Javier Fortuna
Errol Spence Jr.
Omar Figueroa
Jesse Magdaleno
Terrell Gausha
Kareem Mayfield
Shawn Porter
Jermell Charlo
Jermall Charlo

He has won his last 5 fights(4 out of 5 by KO/TKO) since the Pirog fight

No love for Fortuna?

Please elaborate on these "holes" you speak of.

We may be seeing the same weaknesses in Thurman. Especially with a step up in competition. Also if he can't secure an early KO.

Well for one if you watch his head movement and footwork, there's really not much tact or strategy. It's almost like he's moving just for the sake of moving, but his opponents are too slow or not that skilled so it looks like it's effective. He hardly throws any combinations even against flat footed opponents and he fades in later rounds. However he is fun to watch.

Last edited:
Pacquaio vs Rios fight is official for November should be more competitive than Floyd vs Guerrero

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom