Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is because he was willing to go up to 154 for De la Hoya and more recently for Cotto. He had to for DLH, because DLH called the shots and Money wanted it bad enough to do so. For Cotto he probably did it as a snub at Pacquiao because Pacquiao weight drained Cotto for their fight. Besides, Cotto is small for a 154 lber anyway.
Your correct.   Cotto was picking between fighting Pac Man again or Mayweather but Pac Man wanted him to come done so Mayweather said screw it I'll fight you at 154 lb.   That's how Pac Man ended up fighting Bradley.    He was Top Ranks plan B.

this^ I don't think Mayweather is gonna agree to fight him at 154 lb.  
I don't really think he has a choice in the issue. He made it too clear from his 24/7 that he fights people at their best and where they are comfortable. There is literally no one at 147 from a skill, and more importantly from a business standpoint that make sense. Canelo IMO is literally the only option.  Plan B would be a May/Cotto 2, which makes sense from a business sense, and also to hurt Canelo's feelings for thinking he can call the shots and taking his plan B opponent away from him.

^ going that route would rustle a lot of jimmies though, especially the fans.

Last edited:
Say what you want about Khans last couple of losses and his chin, but he is a draw and his fighting is somewhat exciting. Why would golden boy give us Mayweather vs Canelo so soon when they can wait a couple more fights later? If they give us Canelo now, nobody cares about the last 4 or 5 fights left in his deal.

Last edited:
I respect Khan because he'll go anywhere to fight but he goes to those places because his opponent has the following. I think him being a domestic draw is overblown, much like Ricky Hatton.

He's fought so many times in the US because Golden Boy doesn't want him to turn out like Joe Calzaghe, not because he needed to for his opponent's following. But you might be right to a certain extent for Judah. I don't think so for any of his other opponents.

Where do you think Ward goes from here once he gets healthy? I don't see too many fights for him. Maybe a Froch/kessler rematch in their homes. Maybe a pascal fight at 175 in Canada

Froch/Kessler winner makes alot of sense.

Does Pascal even fight anymore?
Pascal was scheduled to fight Bute. Bute got injured and pulled out. I heard Froch and Kessler want no parts of Ward again.He  I think Ward moves up and Fights Pascal or Fights Adonis Stevenson once he KO Dawson
nerd.gif

Say what you want about Khans last couple of losses and his chin, but he is a draw and his fighting is somewhat exciting. Why would golden boy give us Mayweather vs Canelo so soon when they can wait a couple more fights later? If they give us Canelo now, nobody cares about the last 4 or 5 fights left in his deal.
I only like a Khan fight from purely a business standpoint, and only if the fight is in the UK. He doesn't meet the Mayweather criteria though, he's not a winner. Hes 1-2 in his last 3 fights. Say what you want about mayweather, but he only fights winners.

I am by know means a Khan Fan, Suspect chin as we all know, In his loss to Garcia he was hitting Garcia with everything he wanted to the first few rounds until Garcia caught him in the kneck and the Peterson  fight was very very close not mention LP had extra help. With that being said I think Khans corner would stop the fight before 9 if he fought PBF.

Would Floyd ever consider going to 140 for some of those names? Or would they just have them come to 47?

Last edited:
Agreed on your points about Khan, but even still, on paper, hes a recent loser. May just doesn't fight those guys. And I like Khan.

I don't really think he has a choice in the issue. He made it too clear from his 24/7 that he fights people at their best and where they are comfortable. There is literally no one at 147 from a skill, and more importantly from a business standpoint that make sense. Canelo IMO is literally the only option.  Plan B would be a May/Cotto 2, which makes sense from a business sense, and also to hurt Canelo's feelings for thinking he can call the shots and taking his plan B opponent away from him.

^ going that route would rustle a lot of jimmies though, especially the fans.
LOL he doesn't have a choice? Did you not just see him do a million with and unknown fighter? He has plenty of choices.

Did he do a million? I haven't seen official numbers. And whom else would even be in question in your opinion? Khan I believe can't fight due to Ramadan (sp?). There are no legit welterweights (that aren't top rank) for May to fight.

Did he do a million? I haven't seen official numbers. And whom else would even be in question in your opinion? Khan I believe can't fight due to Ramadan (sp?). There are no legit welterweights (that aren't top rank) for May to fight.
Yes the fight did a million. The official numbers haven't been released yet but reputable sources have already stated that the fight sold over a million. He could easily just wait till later in the year to fight. He doesn't have to bend to anyones demands is my sole point. I think he will fight Alexander next personally.

Oh I agree he doesn't have to bend to anyones demands. Yet, he's already said September is his return. I'd be absolutely shocked if he fought Alexander next. I'd predict a Khan fight before Alexander, at least he has a following.

No one wants to see Ward whoop on Froch or Kessler again and I like both of those guys. He's gonna fight B-Hop is he beats Murat, I can see that **** clear as day :lol:

I can see the points being made for a Mayweather & Khan matchup, especially from a business standpoint. If Money fights Alvarez this soon in his deal, his remaining fights from an opponent standpoint won't be as big of a draw (especially considering the PPV numbers were down from his last fight). I can definitely see them waiting a few fights before Alvarez. However with Khan, he's been losing recently & I don't see Floyd matching up with him because of that :nerd:

Last edited:
I think it will either be Khan or Alexander or he would have to move the date back. Thats assuming Alexander dosent hurt his hand during camp. I wouls advise him to make Canelo come down because at 154 he is giving up too much.

I think this is exactly why he will take the fight at 154. People think he is giving up too much (which I can understand). But regardless if Canelo walks into that ring at 170+ or not, he's not beating Mayweather. It will be Mayweather vs Baldomir 2.0 and he will get all the credit for beating such a bigger man.

And it's his most lucrative option.

LOL. Im not overly impressed with Canelo but he is better than Baldomir. I do not think Canelo Beats him but I do think its a better fight than most think.

oh agreed he's way better than Baldomir. But it won't change the fight. He's not fast enough to keep up with a dancing, potshotting Floyd. He'll box his head off for 12 rounds, and Canelo will be gassed out by the 6th at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom