Official 2013 NBA Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't mind the 2-3-2 NBA Finals format.

J-Rich wasn't gonna get any playing time in Philly anyway.

Roy Hibby is the man. He'll be a force this season.

Houston gonna be a pretty tough team. Dwight is now 100%, double teams in the post all day. Jeremy Lin is an after thought now. :lol:

Media Day tomorrow for a lot of teams.... it wouldn't be a even a second thought if not for NT. :lol:

This should make some of you smile:
BOUT DAMN TIME! 
pimp.gif

Previously reported but some more details if not yet posted:

NBA Inside Stuff, which last aired in 2005 after a 15-year run, will return to NBA TV with new episodes featuring co-hosts Grant Hill and Kristen Ledlow. The 30-minute show will be televised weekly throughout the NBA season (26 episodes), along with several special editions airing at select times during the year. The series will combine some of the franchise's most celebrated segments -- redefined versions of "Jam Session" and "Rewind" -- with in-depth interviews highlighting some of the NBA's biggest stars and more, all packaged with a fresh new look.

Hill will also be joining Turner Sports as an analyst for NBA TV and TNT.

View media item 597311

This..

:smh:
#LBJinthedunkcontest
#Westbrookinthedunkcontest

Why would you guys wanna see Lebron in a dunk contest? He's not THAT smooth at dunking.

And right now there's so much hype behind him entering the dunk contest that it'll never live up to the expectations. Kinda like if Dre decides to drop the Detox..

I think they should have Street Ballers x NBA players dunk contest or something like that.

Leave the 3 pt contest alone.

Enhance the skills competition, like more difficult tasks...

Try to set up a legends game, where old timers play against each other.

Keep the celebrity game.

Why would you guys wanna see Lebron in a dunk contest? He's not THAT smooth at dunking.

And right now there's so much hype behind him entering the dunk contest that it'll never live up to the expectations. Kinda like if Dre decides to drop the Detox..

I think they should have Street Ballers x NBA players dunk contest or something like that.

Keep the celebrity game.
Kevin Hart about to be a three time MVP
laugh.gif

We had our chance to see Westbrook in a dunk contest but for some reason you idiots wanted to see Rudy Fernandez. He tried to get in the next 2 yrs but Stern or whoever I guess wasn't interested. Unlikely he's going to do it now after coming off a meniscus surgery that has him still not even cleared for basketball activity

After seeing them in the Media Day photos thread....is a Ryan Andersen for Asik trade not the most obvious trade that should happen out there? Anthony Davis is a PF....not a center. And Jason Smith is a nice backup center but that's not who you want out there starting for you. Then you figure in how perfect the trade would be for the Rockets. I don't even think they have a single dude on roster capable of starting at the 4 right now.

After seeing them in the Media Day photos thread....is a Ryan Andersen for Asik trade not the most obvious trade that should happen out there? Anthony Davis is a PF....not a center. And Jason Smith is a nice backup center but that's not who you want out there starting for you. Then you figure in how perfect the trade would be for the Rockets. I don't even think they have a single dude on roster capable of starting at the 4 right now.
Or we could swing Asik to Portland for LMA (providing blazers are sucking it up early on).. but with Lopez, blazers might not be interested in Asik, unless LMA really wants out of portland.. I wouldn't be surprised if an Asik for Millsap deal comes through.. From all the articles and videos I've seen/read, Asik seems very distant from the team, so I wouldn't be surprised if he was traded this year..

D'Antoni, on Dwight Howard reportedly having issues with the Lakers offense and then joining the Rockets:

"... (S)o he chooses to go to a team that has the same offense that we have? C’mon. OK. I don’t know. Actually, they have our offense on steroids. They were doing it the right way. We weren’t."
:lol:

This..

mean.gif

#LBJinthedunkcontest

#Westbrookinthedunkcontest

Keep the celebrity game.
Becuase I dont want to see Fred Jones in the dunk contest is why. Its All Star Weekend, not random role player who we will never hear about three years from now weekend. That contest is mostly name driven and the biggest name in Basketball should be in it at least once.

Pringles butthurt?
pimp.gif

EL SEGUNDO, Calif. – Lakers coach Mike D’Antoni has gone from Dwight Howard at center to Chris Kaman, from publicly criticizing Pau Gasol to a hard sell on Gasol as a reason for hope, and from a 2012-13 of immense expectations to a follow-up where just making the playoffs could make this season a success.
His world has not stopped spinning since getting the job 10 1/2 months ago. D’Antoni is willing to be honest in the assessment that the Lakers would be better off if Howard had re-signed, a sentiment a lot of scorned Lakers backers dismiss.
With the Los Angeles portion of the Dwightmare closed and D’Antoni in his first full season as coach, he looked back in an NBA.com interview at the 2012-13 with the perspective of time and where it has left the Lakers in 2013-14.

Question: How much of (praising Gasol) is propping him up, giving him that encouragement, and how much do you really believe this team is better with Pau than it would have been with Dwight?
Answer: I think those are two different points. When you say he’s one of the best skilled big men in the league, that’s not propping him up. That’s the truth. If the franchise had made a decision last year to kind of go another direction because of youth then you had to play around that. That was the direction it was going. But if you tell me right now who’d you rather post up, you want to post up Pau or you want to post up Dwight Howard and give him the ball? No (question). [Indicating Gasol] But if you want to re-sign somebody, who do you want? Thats where the problem was. It was clear who was the best post man. It’s nothing against Dwight. That’s the reality.
Q: But is this team better off if it had Dwight now or with Pau there?
A: We’ll see, We’ll see. I don’t want to go out that far because obviously there’s an answer and I don’t want to offend anybody. I love Pau’s game. I
think Pau’s won two championships and I think Pau’s been very instrumental. Like Lamar Odom at the four and Pau at the five, and now you’re back there. It kind of speaks for itself.

Q: How glad are people — you, maybe players in the locker room — to just be done with all the craziness and say, “We don’t have to do that for another four or five years?”
A: You’re done with the uncertainty. You’re done with “Does he want to be here or not? Do you have to appease him because then you’ll lose him?” You’re done with that. So now you can just — you know what, we’re going to try this.

Q: In other words, if he had been back….
A: Then we’d have been fine too.

Q: There wouldn’t have been craziness?
A: No. It would have been different. That was just a weird year that everybody kind of had to modify different things or muffle stuff or not say something.
Q: How much did you have to bite your tongue last year?
A: You have to do it every year, first of all. Every team.

Q: It wasn’t a situation because the guy was about to become a free agent?
A: Oh, yeah. Sure. That all plays into it. It all plays everywhere. But, again, to be fair, he was hurt half the year. You’ve got to be fair to him. You’ve got to be fair to the franchise. That’s just the way the situation was. We didn’t come through it total. At the end of the day, I understand there was a rough period, we were 28-12 the last 40 games. We were the third-best record with Steve Nash going down, Pau going down, Dwight going down, Metta (World Peace) going down. And we had the third-best record in the league the last 40 games. That’s half the season. We bombed out in the playoffs because we lost everybody. You’ve got to give the guys their credit. They got us to the playoffs in a tough Western Conference. They went 7-1 in April when it counted. There was some good stuff. But at the same time, it was a weird year. Different. Not to be repeated too many times.

Q: Is there any part of you that looks back and says you went too far out of your way to appease him?
A: (Pause) Not really. It wasn’t that. You’re just trying to find the balance and stuff. [Trying to find a balance of] “OK, he needs a touch here, he needs a touch there.” It’s never pure. I think it was fine.

Q: Did Dwight bring on a lot of the craziness on himself?
A: No. I just think it was the situation. Dwight, he came to every practice. He worked hard every day. What happened was, you’re hurt, you start to lose, it starts to cave in on us, and you lash out sometimes in different ways. But their character, they hung in there, did not break completely apart and, like I said, the last 40 games went 28-12.

Q: Do you believe he was ever 100 percent committed to being here?
A: I think so. He was committed to making us win as much as we could.

Q: You said you had to bite your tongue a little bit. What can you say now that you couldn’t say last season?
A: I wouldn’t say it. He’s one of the best players in the league. And we had another guy that’s one of the best players in the league, and it was hard to find an even footing. There’s nothing that I’m biting my tongue about. It’s just too bad we couldn’t quite all get together on the same page. There’s so many factors. There’s not just one thing. It’s not really fair to anybody to say, “It’s this guy. It’s that guy.” It’s a combination of guys, a combination of stuff, and that’s how it is always. It’s never one guy’s fault.

Q: When it came out from his camp, whether it was him directly or somebody close to him, that he was having problems with the offense and didn’t like what his role was, how much did that bother you?
A: None. I hated it in a sense. I mean, it bothered you because you don’t want to be a reason for him not to come back. But at the same time, so he chooses to go to a team that has the same offense that we have? C’mon. OK. I don’t know. Actually, they have our offense on steroids. They were doing it the right way. We weren’t. I don’t know how much that played into that, but all kinds of stuff’s going to come out from different parts. I’ve been around players and coaches and I’ve probably said 1,000 things. I’ve said 100 here, one here, over there, I’m going north, I’m going south, east. You never get it straight.

Q: You’re probably aware that at some point something else is going to come out that he’s going to say.
A: Something will probably come out that I say. It’s just because we have to talk a lot, and some night you’ll say something or somebody will construe it a little different. Then by the time it gets reported to him, it’ll be not quite the way it was said, and vice versa. It’ll be, “I didn’t quite mean it that way. Now, it looks bad.” The guy tried to do everything he could to make us win and I tried to do everything I could to make us win. It just didn’t work out last year.”

Q: Do you feel this team is better with this team than if Dwight had been here?
A: I think if Dwight were here it would have made us better. Yeah, I think it would. Yeah. He impacts the game, there’s no doubt about it.

Honestly what dunks are there left to do? We've pretty much seen everything possible at the point. Only reason players have to get creative with dumb props now.

I'd like to see a 3pt shootout and maybe a HORSE competition with stars though (Lebron, KD, Kobe, etc)

Yea because the biggest names in bball are the best dunkers...
Never said they were, but the Dunk Contest was always about the stars who could dunk dunking. Lets not act like this is some brand new concept.
Honestly what dunks are there left to do? We've pretty much seen everything possible at the point. Only reason players have to get creative with dumb props now.

I'd like to see a 3pt shootout and maybe a HORSE competition with stars though (Lebron, KD, Kobe, etc)
I have been saying for YEARS that the 3PT Shootout is the best ASG event. Its the most skilled event of them all.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom