Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that have to do with saying there weren't more great defenders back then? What is Kawhi going to do with MJ? Gobert with Hakeem? Draymond with Shaq? Not a gaddamn thing.

Exactly. That small ball stuff wouldn't work back then. People think GS is getting killed in the paint now. It would be 10 times worse if they tried this in that era.

The Bulls used to close games with a frontcourt of Pippen/Kukoc/Rodman doe

Who are the truly great defenders of today?
Kawhi
Dray
Gobert

Good
Klay
Giannis (just this season)
PG13
Jimmy B
Bradley
Tony Allen

Greats from yesteryear:
Pippen
MJ
Payton
Hakeem
Stockton
Rodman
Artest

Good
Robinson
Dumars
Mutumbo
Duncan
KG
Kidd
Big Ben

I mean c'mon man.

You listed an entire era vs like 2 yrs.

List is invalid without Dwight and Cp3

That's because of the NBA telling refs to call fouls more strictly.
I'm sure the elite point guards of today would adapt to the 90s refs just fine. They would probably get hurt more, but there isn't really a basis to a performance dip.

James Harden EATS at the line. If he's not getting the calls it's not a stretch to say his scoring would take a hit.

Most of Harden's attempts come from goading you into reaching and then he brings the ball up.

That's a foul in any era.

Who are the truly great defenders of today?
Kawhi
Dray
Gobert

Good
Klay
Giannis (just this season)
PG13
Jimmy B
Bradley
Tony Allen

Greats from yesteryear:
Pippen
MJ
Payton
Hakeem
Stockton
Rodman
Artest

Good
Robinson
Dumars
Mutumbo
Duncan
KG
Kidd
Big Ben

I mean c'mon man.

You listed an entire era vs like 2 yrs.

List is invalid without Dwight and Cp3

Yep.

So like his points per game would just drop 1 or 2 ppg if he gets fouled "a little less", big whoop.
Players adapt to the rules. The good ones will find the best way to get points even if it's not flashy.

Here's the overall point I'm tryna make. These players wouldn't be the same. You just said Harden would have to adjust. Is he capable of adjusting while maintaining the same production?

You can't simply say Harden averages 25 plus now and expect him to be plugged in while being just as effective. Jordan got to the line 8-12 times a game. He's the greatest player of all time. Harden and others wouldn't get MJ treatment. I doubt they'd get to the line as much.

Last edited:
Here's the overall point I'm tryna make. These players wouldn't be the same. You just said Harden would have to adjust. Is he capable of adjusting while maintaining the same production?

You can't simply say Harden averages 25 plus now and expect him to be plugged in while being just as effective. Jordan got to the line 8-12 times a game. He's the greatest player of all time. Harden and others wouldn't get MJ treatment. I doubt they'd get to the line as much.

Lebron James would absolutely be the same

if you aint never been in that era dont ever talk about that era. cuz you wouldnt understand that era. so stay the **** out of that convo

Comparing 1 season to decades like KG, Wallace, Bowen, CP, Dwight and likes of them were in a different era

Who's comparing one season? The only qualifier was Giannis. Everyone else has been a good too great defender for at least a few seasons.

Last edited:
So like his points per game would just drop 1 or 2 ppg if he gets fouled "a little less", big whoop.
Players adapt to the rules. The good ones will find the best way to get points even if it's not flashy.

Given how defenses were less intricate in the 90s compared to now, I think Harden would be shooting at a similar rate of efficiency even with fouls being called more loosely

harden would feast in older eras
dudes would be on an island with him without being able to help
he's probably one of the best iso players ever and he's playing against way more conplex team defenses than mj did
cmon now :smh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom