Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can't compare this decade's point guards to those of the 90s...different time period, different rules, and different workout regimen.
Only thing you can argue is that Wall and Steph are more efficient shooting the ball than those from the 90s.

Would John Wall be counting people's pockets knowing they'd want to fight him?

imrs.php

You can't compare this decade's point guards to those of the 90s...different time period, different rules, and different workout regimen.
Only thing you can argue is that Wall and Steph are more efficient shooting the ball than those from the 90s.

Wall would get eaten alive back then. These players today get touched and cry for calls. All these guys would probably get fewer free throw attempts across the board back then. The scoring averages would drop.

I think it is. Team defenses may be more sophisticated now but there's very few great on ball defenders especially on the perimeter.

Those point guards may have been smarter with better vision but they didnt have the explosiveness of a Irving and Westbrook. Those great defenders would have a hard time staying in front of them in those one on one scenarios.

It's really too tough to call

Last edited:
Michael ******* Adams scored 27 and 10 for goodness sake
Random, and should probably put this in the draft thread, but he's an example as to why I think Lonzo will be fine.

Adams led the league in made 3s twice and was shooting it from his hip almost, but it was extremely quick.

So is Lonzo's. he has a bit of wasted movement in there, but he still gets it off so fast.

Last edited:
Free throws add to all these players scoring averages. They wouldn't get half the calls they do now back then. That's a fact.

Those point guards may have been smarter with better vision but they didnt have the explosiveness of a Irving and Westbrook. Those great defenders would have a hard time staying in front of them in those one on one scenarios.

It's really too tough to call

What does that have to do with saying there weren't more great defenders back then? What is Kawhi going to do with MJ? Gobert with Hakeem? Draymond with Shaq? Not a gaddamn thing.

Last edited:

Wall would get eaten alive back then. These players today get touched and cry for calls. All these guys would probably get fewer free throw attempts across the board back then. The scoring averages would drop.
That's because of the NBA telling refs to call fouls more strictly.
I'm sure the elite point guards of today would adapt to the 90s refs just fine. They would probably get hurt more, but there isn't really a basis to a performance dip.

What does that have to do with saying there weren't more great defenders back then? What is Kawhi going to do with MJ? Robert with Hakeem, Draymond with Shaq? Not a gaddamn thing.

Ummm he post the I responded too said they were better defenders back then, I said it wasn't true. I think it's great and equally good defenders in both eras. I'm not putting one over the other. So I stand by my original comment.

What does that have to do with saying there weren't more great defenders back then? What is Kawhi going to do with MJ? Gobert with Hakeem? Draymond with Shaq? Not a gaddamn thing.

Exactly. That small ball stuff wouldn't work back then. People think GS is getting killed in the paint now. It would be 10 times worse if they tried this in that era.

i feel as if we need an nba legends thread cuz this thread be talking bout old nba and retired players way too much

I'm sure the elite point guards of today would adapt to the 90s refs just fine. They would probably get hurt more, but there isn't really a basis to a performance dip.

James Harden EATS at the line. If he's not getting the calls it's not a stretch to say his scoring would take a hit.

Me and my brother were talking about the infamous Terrell Brandon, "Best PG in the NBA" Sports Illustrated preview from '97 the other day :lol:

On first thought....we scoffed at how ridiculous SI was being. Then we actually took a look at the PGs during that time :x

Gary Payton and Jkidd had that title probably...but Terrell came off a decent year.

The other PGs were either too young (AI, Nash), or nearing the end of their career (Stockton, price, kj etc)

Last edited:
Harden and Russ are the only players that get to the line a ridiculous amount of times.

Derozen too. He's so skilled at drawing fouls. If Lo Will played 36mpg...him too

James Harden EATS at the line. If he's not getting the calls it's not a stretch to say his scoring would take a hit.
So like his points per game would just drop 1 or 2 ppg if he gets fouled "a little less", big whoop.
Players adapt to the rules. The good ones will find the best way to get points even if it's not flashy.

Ummm he post the I responded too said they were better defenders back then, I said it wasn't true. I think it's great and equally good defenders in both eras. I'm not putting one over the other. So I stand by my original comment.

Who are the truly great defenders of today?
Kawhi
Dray
Gobert
Dwight

Good:
Klay
Giannis (just this season)
PG13
Jimmy B
Bradley
Tony Allen
CP3

Greats from yesteryear:
Pippen
MJ
Payton
Hakeem
Stockton
Rodman
Artest

Good:
Robinson
Dumars
Mutumbo
Duncan
KG
Kidd
Big Ben

I mean c'mon man.

Last edited:
And people still make up ways to hate on this man. If you don't like him or his style of play cool, but to act like he is trash etc is reaching.

Inb4 "blew a 3-1 lead", "Iggy has the Finals MVP", etc.

As far as Steph playing in the 90s: I don't think people are saying he'd be trash, just saying he wouldn't be unanimous MVP/video game level. But if they are saying he'd be trash, I can't get with that at all :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom