Official 2016-2017 NBA Season Thread - NBA rules Chris Bosh has a career ending injury

Who is the MVP?

• Russell Westbrook

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kawhi Leonard

• James Harden

• Lebron James

• Kevin Durant

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://theundefeated.com/features/nba-kawhi-leonard-earl-lloyd-documentary-the-first-to-do-it/

Kawhi Leonard’s passion for Earl Lloyd documentary comes through loud and clear

Quiet Spurs star is co-executive producer of film about NBA’s first black player
Up Next From Sports

Kawhi Leonard’s passion for Earl Lloyd documentary comes through loud and clear
By Marc J. Spears
Colin Kaepernick is called a distraction, but from what?
By Bomani Jones
What Had Happened Was: 3/27/17
By Rhiannon Walker
Pots & pans: Sports help us discover our boundaries and barriers
By Jeff Rivers
Out of the ordinary: Ewing would be a good choice to lead Georgetown
By J.A. Adande

Courtesy of Constant Beta Motion Picture Company
By Marc J. Spears @MarcJSpearsESPN
March 24, 2017

Popcorn was available, of course, as were beverages. Family and friends in the private room were excited to watch the film during some rare down time on 2017 NBA All-Star Weekend in New Orleans. San Antonio Spurs All-Star Kawhi Leonard was hosting the viewing of the documentary that he co-executive-produced, The First to Do It, about black basketball pioneer Earl Lloyd.

“The guy was like 22 years old when he was the first African-American basketball player,” Leonard told The Undefeated. “He was a guy who paved the way for us on and off the court. He was loved by fans and other races while he’s playing, then walks off the court and gets treated a different way just because he didn’t have the same skin color. I learned from his experiences and take them into my everyday life.”
Must reads

The notorious night Biggie was murdered
No Labels: Chance the Rapper and Jimmy Butler
The Undefeated 44: African Americans who shook up the world
The gentrification of college hoops
The Grizzlies’ — and Memphis’ — grit and grind

The First to Do It is based on the basketball career and life of Lloyd, a Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Famer who died Feb. 26, 2015, at age 86. Lloyd joined Nat “Sweetwater” Clifton and Chuck Cooper as the first blacks to play in the NBA during the 1950-51 season with Lloyd playing first due to a scheduling quirk. Lloyd also joined Jim Tucker as the first African-Americans to win an NBA championship with the Syracuse Nationals in 1955. Lloyd went on to become the NBA’s first black assistant coach and third black head coach.

The First to Do It was directed by Coodie Simmons and Chike Ozah and is scheduled to be released on the opening weekend of the 2017-18 NBA season. In his first film project, Leonard joined Spurs teammate Tony Parker, New York Knicks All-Star forward Carmelo Anthony and former NBA star Michael Finley as executive producers. Leonard described Lloyd’s story as “not too shocking” when considering “our history in America and where African-Americans come from.”

“About two or three years ago I wanted to check out who was the first African-American basketball player,” Leonard said. “I just searched it on the internet and I came up with Earl Lloyd. I didn’t want to read too much on him. I just wanted to figure out the answer. Two years later, I hear from people that are going to do this documentary. …

“[The Lloyd] story was very informative. It just makes you love your job even more just the way society is today.”

Executive producer Arka Sengupta said Leonard was first contacted through his agent Mitch Frankel. After Leonard showed interest, Sengupta met with the four-time NBA All-Star to talk to him about how he could be involved in the film. Within five minutes of the pitch, Sengupta said, the 2014 NBA Finals MVP agreed to join as an executive producer.

Sengupta added that Leonard’s role as a producer has been “huge” as he has connected them with “people within basketball.” The 25-year-old Leonard is interviewed in the film. Leonard also spent time talking to Lloyd’s son, Kevin, to learn more about the basketball pioneer.

Kawhi Leonard in the documentary, The First to do it – Earl Lloyd

Courtesy of Constant Beta Motion Picture Company

“I knew the relationship would be a productive one when Kawhi insisted that his younger cousin and friends sit in on the meeting,” said Sengupta, who is also CEO of the Constant Beta Motion Picture Co. “ ‘I want you to learn something about our history,’ he said to them. Kawhi comes across as quiet, but he has clearly done his homework. He was engaged and excited, asking questions and making suggestions.”

Leonard is extremely quiet by nature, but speaks loudly with his game. He is the cousin of NFL free agent wide receiver Stevie Johnson, has a young daughter and he drives a 1997 Chevy Tahoe nicknamed “Gas Guzzler.” While Leonard has been game to promote the Lloyd documentary, he prefers to keep his other ventures private.

“This is probably one of the more press [recognized] things because it involves the NBA. I am definitely trying to do some stuff off the court, but I want to keep it personal,” Leonard said.

The 2017 NBA MVP award race has widely been viewed as a two-man competition between Houston Rockets guard James Harden and Oklahoma City Thunder guard Russell Westbrook. But Leonard is also a quiet threat for the hardware.

Kawhi Leonard #2 of the San Antonio Spurs shoots a lay up during the game against the Oklahoma City Thunder on March 9, 2017.

Layne Murdoch/NBAE via Getty Images

He has averaged a well-rounded 26 points, 5.9 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 1.9 blocks entering Thursday’s game against the Memphis Grizzlies. And he could aid his MVP credentials by leading the Spurs to a top playoff seed in the Western Conference over the Golden State Warriors. The last time the Spurs had an NBA MVP was Leonard’s old teammate and two-time MVP Tim Duncan in 2003.

“He’s really quiet as we all know. Very respectful as we all know. But he has a hunger as far as wanting to be a great player,” Spurs coach Gregg Popovich told ESPN.com. “Everything that I’ve given him, he’s taken it seriously and he handles criticism because he wants to learn. He just adds something to his game every season.”

Said Leonard to ESPN.com: “I’m just coming in and doing my role. And that’s basically it.”

An earlier version of this story stated that Earl Lloyd was the NBA’s second black head coach. Al Attles served as a player/coach for the Golden State Warriors before Lloyd became head coach of the Detroit Pistons.
Liner Notes

ESPN.com Spurs reporter Michael C. Wright contributed to this story.

Marc J. Spears is the senior NBA writer for The Undefeated. He used to be able to dunk on you, but he hasn’t been able to in years and his knees still hurt.

Of all things to slander CP3 for (and there are some legitimate reasons to slander) the 2011 series against the Lakers is probably the funniest.

The Hornets were a mediocre squad to begin with and then their 2nd best player David West tore his ACL with a couple weeks left in the regular season. At that point their 2nd best player became... Emeka Okafor? Trevor Ariza? Marco Belinelli? Jarrett Jack? It's amazing he was even able to steal 2 wins in the first place, and it took 2 of the best all-around performances by a PG you'll see. That series had no business even going 6 games in the first place. But yeah, why didn't he get that awful Hornets team past the 2-time defending champs with 4 guys at or near All-Star caliber (That was Odom's best season of his career).

@bhzmafia14
ill steelo ill steelo
KD at 25

32/8/5
Ortg 123
D rtg 104
Per 30

T1000
26/6/3
O rtg 121
d rtg 102
Per 28
:lol: I expected the numbers to drop further, so I give him credit for keeping them there, but yea :lol: there's a discernible gap.

He's been incredible though. His per minute numbers are comparable to what Durant was doing before then. Although we'll never know what Kawhi can do in 38-40 mpg night in & night out for 75+ games because Pop will never play him that much :lol:

Last edited:
everyone ragging on the clippers but I can only think of one instance where they lost a series that they shouldn't have

when CP3 joined BG and doc, everyone thought these these dudes would be in the finals...technically, every series they've lost they shouldn't have

I wouldn't call the Clippers loaded at all.
They have two stars and a fringe all star level talent with a mediocre bench.
Kidd and GP never won anything until they got old.
Nash and Stockton never won anything period.
Outside of GSW, what was the last team that won with their point guard being their best player?

despite being old, Kidd played a huge role on that mavs championship team. iirc, dude was still averaging near a triple double despite being the oldest player on the court most nights

Last edited:
Kawhi not even a top 100 defender
mean.gif
Shouldnt have been DPOY last year either.  Glad people are starting to realize that his D is vastly overrated (coincidentally, his offense is now vastly underrated.  Odd).

when CP3 joined BG and doc, everyone thought these these dudes would be in the finals...technically, every series they've lost they shouldn't have
that's a narrative
that's not even looking at the situation rationally

their last two playoff exits (rockets and portland) should've been series they took. going up 3-1 against rockets and then 2-0 on blazers and losing both series...the dubs gonna get slander for that 3-1 lead, then most definitely the clips deserve it just as much

their last two playoff exits (rockets and portland) should've been series they took. going up 3-1 against rockets and then 2-0 on blazers and losing both series...the dubs gonna get slander for that 3-1 lead, then most definitely the clips deserve it just as much

No excuse for losing tonthe rockets.

But you REALLLY going to use last year as an indictment on Cp3? He got INJURED for the rest of the playoffs in game 3 :lol:. Blake got injured in game 3 as well.

Now tell me how that Austin Rivers and Jamal Crawford led Clippers team was supposed to beat out the Blazers in last year's playoffs? :lol:

Y'all just lump in Narratives man. You're better than this. Drill down and actually look at what happened.

Last edited:
Last edited:

No excuse for losing tonthe rockets.

But you REALLLY going to use last year as an indictment on Cp3? He got INJURED for the rest of the playoffs in game 3 :lol:. Blake got injured in game 3 as well.

Now tell me how that Austin Rivers and Jamal Crawford led Clippers team was supposed to beat out the Blazers in last year's playoffs? :lol:

Y'all just lump in Narratives man. You're better than this. Drill down and actually look at what happened.

it's not an indictment on CP3, but moreso the entire clippers team. contrary to how it sounds, im a fan of CP3's game and believe the clippers wouldnt be higher than a 7th seed without him. his inability to get out the second round isn't all on him, but reflective of the pieces around him, primarily doc and a piss poor bench.

that being said, iirc blake and cp3 got injured in game 4 after playing a good amount of that game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom