Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Team needs a franchise PG and a leader. Seems like he checks off both boxes. They've been drafting nothing but bigs and forwards in the past, with the new front office and getting rid of Elfrid, a PG is their top priority.

I agree with the above but i think that Sexton isn’t better than the bigs available this year meaning that they might trade down if that’s the case. Unless Sexton lights up the tourney, which I don’t think he’ll do enough to get ahead of the bigs.

Honestly, I’ll be happy with almost anyone in the top 7-9 picks in this draft as they all seem to have good potential.

Gonna check out some of these guys in the NCAA tourney but I've learned it's not an adequate sample size to make a valid assessment :lol:

Today's DX mock:

1. Suns: Ayton
2. Grizzlies: Doncic
3. Hawks: JJJr
4. Kings: Bagley
5. Magic: Bamba
6. Bulls: Carter
7. Mavs: Porter
8. Cavs: Sexton
9. Knicks: Young
10. Sixers: Mik. Bridges
11. Hornets: Mi. Bridges
12. Clippers: Walker
13. Nuggets: SGA
14. Clippers: Williams

Knowing the Knicks we will or some obscure euro that ends up never coming over :smh:
Obscure Euro narrative is way overplayed. Unless the Knicks luck out and land Doncic, 0% chance the Knicks take a Euro this year. As far as Young, I don't love him as much as some other guys but I still think alot of yall are sleeping on him too hard after a tough end to the season. IMO he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft (along with one of the lowest floors). His ability to shoot it off the dribble and run an offense makes him very different from a lot of collegiate volume scorers who dont pan out.

Obscure Euro narrative is way overplayed. Unless the Knicks luck out and land Doncic, 0% chance the Knicks take a Euro this year. As far as Young, I don't love him as much as some other guys but I still think alot of yall are sleeping on him too hard after a tough end to the season. IMO he has one of the highest ceilings in the draft (along with one of the lowest floors). His ability to shoot it off the dribble and run an offense makes him very different from a lot of collegiate volume scorers who dont pan out.

“Along with one of the lowest floors” is the most accurate statement about Young. Dude COULD end up Curry-esk, but has a significantly higher chance of being more of a Fredette. He is not a good defender, undersized, and isn’t particularly athletic. He will get torched by other NBA PGs. I don’t think he’ll even fair well on offense against tenacious perimeter defenders. Dude doesn’t have the clout to be pulling up from 30 ft like Steph. I’m just not sold on him at all.

“Along with one of the lowest floors” is the most accurate statement about Young. Dude COULD end up Curry-esk, but has a significantly higher chance of being more of a Fredette. He is not a good defender, undersized, and isn’t particularly athletic. He will get torched by other NBA PGs. I don’t think he’ll even fair well on offense against tenacious perimeter defenders. Dude doesn’t have the clout to be pulling up from 30 ft like Steph. I’m just not sold on him at all.
I don't disagree but Jimmer could never run an offense as a PG or shoot off the dribble as well as Trae. He was also a senior. To take a exerpt out of his nbadraft.net scouting report, I think all of this summarizes everything that Jimmer never had and why I think Trae has potential to be a really special pro:

What separates Young from other great shooters is that, like Curry, he has the ability to knock down shots from distance off a variety of dribble moves and not just off the catch or off of simple one-dribble pull ups ... He has a quick, compact release with minimal wasted motion that allows him to get his shot off even in tight space ... Young’s jumper unlocks numerous other options offensively for him ... Although he is not the most explosive athlete, the threat of his jumper forces defenders to guard him way out on the perimeter, making it easier for him to get by his man and into the paint ... Young has shown the ability to create his own shot from inside the arc with a solid handle ... He has a great floater from the mid range area as well that he can score with consistently when he is not able to get all the way to the rim ... Young’s ability to operate out of the pick and roll is very advanced for a player of his age ... He makes great decisions and quick reads off of ball screens and is always under control ... Young always plays with his head up in these situations and shows great vision in the half court and in transition ... He puts his passes on target and in spots on the court where his teammates are comfortable playing ... He also does a nice job of not forcing passes and making the simple play when nothing extra is needed ... In transition, Young does an excellent job of leading the break and is dangerous due to his combination of vision and craftiness around the rim ... When he goes to the basket, he is adept at using his body to shield himself from bigger defenders and finish through contact ... He can score with both hands or dish it to open teammates to lead to an easy basket.
I don't think you could accurately say any of that about Jimmer or any other high volume collegiate superstar scorer of the past besides Steph. Those are the qualities more so than his pure shooting that make me think he can make it in the League. I'm not saying he is Steph but IMO comparing Trae to Curry is much more accurate than saying he is another Jimmer. His game much closer resembles Curry than Jimmer.

Trae isn't big and he isn't athletic but he is crafty and again, he can shoot off the dribble, which is huge. That along with his passing vision does give him high upside in addition to his admittedly low floor. I'm not counting him out.

Last edited:
He is everything Frank isnt offensively but cant play defense. On paper they should complement each other but i think id rather take Mikal if he is available.

We cant afford to have this pick or next years pick not work out. If KP stays out next year (doesn't look like its happening) if we could have 3 top 10 picks in three years and 4 from the last 5 years.

If Frank doesnt produce and then Young doesnt produce we killed the future cause KP either leaves or we pay someone like noah to come and keep him happy but we end up still fighting to get the 7-8 seed.

He is everything Frank isnt offensively but cant play defense. On paper they should complement each other but i think id rather take Mikal if he is available.

We cant afford to have this pick or next years pick not work out. If KP stays out next year (doesn't look like its happening) if we could have 3 top 10 picks in three years and 4 from the last 5 years.

If Frank doesnt produce and then Young doesnt produce we killed the future cause KP either leaves or we pay someone like noah to come and keep him happy but we end up still fighting to get the 7-8 seed.
I agree. I've said it in here that Mikal is my guy. High floor, still a very high ceiling, and fills a team need. East coast guy also and a legitimate gamer. On paper he seems like the perfect fit for us and I hope we end up with him. I'm just looking to defend Trae in here a bit because it seems like perception has completely turned against him.

I agree. I've said it in here that Mikal is my guy. High floor, still a very high ceiling, and fills a team need. East coast guy also and a legitimate gamer. On paper he seems like the perfect fit for us and I hope we end up with him. I'm just looking to defend Trae in here a bit because it seems like perception has completely turned against him.
There was never very much substance to the hype that surrounded him in the first place to me

you're really stuck on his offense, when my main issue is his lack of defense. Jimmer could've been a Lou Will type off the bench, but Jimmer can't play D at all. that's my concern with Trae.

Back
Top Bottom