OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Some of yall are the most thin skinned individuals :lol: all you had to do was make a joke about Oregon. But nah all you could think to do was go for the personal attacks

I 100% disagree with this sports illustrated article's assertion that Mark Helfrich is done at the end of the year. But I don't have any UO insider info.

http://www.campusrush.com/college-f...s-2073220816.html?xid=socialflow_twitter_sicr
UO fans probably wont like to hear this but their best bet might be to keep Helfrich for another year unless they go winless during the last stretch of the season and just look inept on both sides of the ball.  They still have a top ten O despite the QB issues in S&P+, it's just that they have the second worst D in all of P5. 

This off season is not a market to be making a coaching change if your UO.  I'd demand Helfich dump that whole staff on D, and give him one more chance to find a DC. 

PJ is not a good fit for that job.  WMU doesn't do anything exotic schematically and PJ is admittedly not an X&O guy.  WMU basically just out talents everyone in the MAC which works when you have roster that top to bottom would probably be 5th or 6th most talented team in the B1G this season.  He'd turn over every single rock to get talent to Eugene but long-term I don't think it's a good fit.  I don't think you can just roll the ball out and beat teams when your Oregon consistently.  The only school that can do that in that conference is SC.

I also disagree with Thamel's take on Briles.  He might not be a college HC ever again but he's going to reemerge somewhere as a assistant.  All those guys that were worth a damb on those Paterno PSU staffs got high profile jobs and their actions or inactions enabled a child predator. 

LSU keeping O with the stipulation that Briles run the offense wouldn't be the worst idea.  You know they wouldn't give a damn about any potential backlash. 

Bobby Layne Bobby Layne I fully agree with everything you said.

The only thing I'd change is, depending how the team performs against Bama they may not even need to make as extreme a move as hiring Art Briles if the offense looks plenty good enough.

And casper90403 casper90403 I don't think the Oregon job sucks at all. It's a very good job. I just don't think it's the second best job in the PAC 12 or a top 15-20 job.

It's a good job for the right fit of coach. Chip Kelly was the perfect storm up there.

Last edited:
I just need Louisville to find a way in to the playoff somehow, for gambling n excitement purposes

Last edited:
Last edited:
throwing Lane Kiffin in the mix at Oregon. I think he'd be perfect.

Don't want it to happen because he'll work tirelessly to kick the Trojans *** and can recruit well, but he'd work there very well.

throwing Lane Kiffin in the mix at Oregon. I think he'd be perfect.

Don't want it to happen because he'll work tirelessly to kick the Trojans *** and can recruit well, but he'd work there very well.

what head coach history does Kiffin have that would make you think he would be a good coach anywhere?

It's rumors Norv Turner resigned in order to get a jump on the Oregon job. Low key makes sense since that's his alma mater :nerd:

"resigned" 
laugh.gif

What makes you think Oregon wants Lane Kiffin or that he'd be an upgrade over Helfrich?

what head coach history does Kiffin have that would make you think he would be a good coach anywhere?

i dont think Oregon is a job that can get a good/great coach.

Type of job that needs someone to recruit his *** off and put a nice system in there to win 10 games. Kiffin can do that. USC was just too big of a job for him, and i think he learned some things since then.

Was Kelly a good coach or a good play caller with a good system?

And Kiffin's going to land at a nice program real soon. I think everyone like to hammer on him because of his time at USC, even i didnt like him as a head coach. But that was the wrong job for him. There's a reason why a Tennessee, a USC, a Saban would bring him on to coach. He can coach. Lead a program is another thing, but like i said, i think he's learned alot. Thats one of my biggest pet peeves. Coaches like Kiffin, Clay Helton, getting jobs handed to them they don't deserve at the time. It takes time.

Last edited:
What makes you think Oregon wants Lane Kiffin or that he'd be an upgrade over Helfrich?

I'm just throwing a name out there who i feel could be a great fit. Has nothing to do with whether i think Oregon would want him. Is that what we do here? Need to make sure a team would want a coach before throwing names out there? Its that serious?

And i won't even comment on whether i think he would be an upgrade over Helfrich or not. I think thats a silly argument.

Louisville getting shafted for sure. Lots of teams have arguments. This season needs an 8-team playoff.

Not really their best win is against FSU who has 3 losses right now and they've looked shaky the past couple weeks as well. Doesn't help the remainder of their schedule is horrible as well.

Last edited:
isnt there always controversy after the first initial playoff rankings? Par for the course. There's so much game left to be played.

USC will quiet the UW talk real soon. We can go ahead and eliminate them today.

i dont think Oregon is a job that can get a good/great coach.

Type of job that needs someone to recruit his *** off and put a nice system in there to win 10 games. Kiffin can do that. USC was just too big of a job for him, and i think he learned some things since then.

Was Kelly a good coach or a good play caller with a good system?

And Kiffin's going to land at a nice program real soon. I think everyone like to hammer on him because of his time at USC, even i didnt like him as a head coach. But that was the wrong job for him. There's a reason why a Tennessee, a USC, a Saban would bring him on to coach. He can coach. Lead a program is another thing, but like i said, i think he's learned alot. Thats one of my biggest pet peeves. Coaches like Kiffin, Clay Helton, getting jobs handed to them they don't deserve at the time. It takes time.

Yeah, but that is where I would disagree with you. From everything written about him, he is outstanding when it comes to play calling and game planning, but awful when it comes to interacting with the players. You need to have social skills, especially when it comes to recruiting.

It's rumors Norv Turner resigned in order to get a jump on the Oregon job. Low key makes sense since that's his alma mater :nerd:

I'd like to see this for the lulz. I can only imagine him when they ask him which color combo they should go with on an upcoming game.

isnt there always controversy after the first initial playoff rankings? Par for the course. There's so much game left to be played.

USC will quiet the UW talk real soon. We can go ahead and eliminate them today.

I was hoping that somehow 3 SEC teams were in the top 4 like a couple years ago, that night was pure lulz on here.

Yeah, but that is where I would disagree with you. From everything written about him, he is outstanding when it comes to play calling and game planning, but awful when it comes to interacting with the players. You need to have social skills, especially when it comes to recruiting.

wait, Kelly had social skills?

And especially recruiting? Kiffin can recruit. He would probably bring Sark on board and field a good staff. Those two would work harder than anyone in the pac-12 just to make a point. What Kiffin did at USC, recruiting wise, was pretty remarkable during the sanctions.

He's definitely a "different" character, but you forget Kelly was there.

I do believe he's more suited to be an OC, but thats not where he's going to end up.

And i'm also not going to say he's a better candidate than someone like Frost. I'm not a fan of Frost, but i do realize he's a natural fit for Oregon, and has the backing of the most important person in that program, Mr. Nike

wait, Kelly had social skills?

And especially recruiting? Kiffin can recruit. He would probably bring Sark on board and field a good staff. Those two would work harder than anyone in the pac-12 just to make a point. What Kiffin did at USC, recruiting wise, was pretty remarkable during the sanctions.

He's definitely a "different" character, but you forget Kelly was there.

I do believe he's more suited to be an OC, but thats not where he's going to end up.

And i'm also not going to say he's a better candidate than someone like Frost. I'm not a fan of Frost, but i do realize he's a natural fit for Oregon, and has the backing of the most important person in that program, Mr. Nike

I will admit I don't know too much about Kelly, but I did read this article, which I thought was informative about how well kelly did at oregon:

http://thelab.bleacherreport.com/the-kaepernick-effect/

He can inspire

The perception that Kelly is an emotionless drone, that he's essentially the Gamemaker from The Hunger Games manipulating his team's universe from afar, is not accurate.

Far from it.

He can connect with players. He can, get this, feel.

Look no further than the flight that changed his life. Flying home from a recruiting trip in early 2010, Kelly was seated next to a serviceman who was headed to a funeral in Roseburg, Oregon. Army Sergeant Joshua Lengstorf, a 24-year-old who had a daughter and loved the Ducks so much he had an Oregon tattoo, was killed by an IED in Afghanistan.

When Kelly returned to the facility, he told Hawkins to clear his schedule. They were heading to this funeral. Kelly sat next to Lengstorf's commander and presented the soldier's family with an autographed football. Says Hawkins, a vet himself, "It was one of the most emotional things I've ever been through." From that point forward, the military was incorporated into countless tentacles of the Oregon program. Soldiers spoke to and trained his players. The spring game at Oregon is now dedicated to the military.

And why not wake up players at 4 a.m., throw them into the deep end of a pool and tell them to hand their shirts to each other while treading water?

Kelly knew a soldier's sacrifice could resonate with kids more than anything he'd say.

So, no, Kelly doesn't burn red in the face and inspire a player to run through a wall with raw emotion. Rather, he inspired his Oregon teams through the gripping stories of…others.

Before a 2010 Rose Bowl loss, Chesley "Sully" Sullenberger spoke to the team. Jeff Maehl gets chills just thinking about it. Sully told the Ducks that when his US Airways Flight 1549 was forced to make an emergency water landing—the one that'd later spark a major motion picture—he acted out of impulse. He "reverted to his training."

Players gasped. Nobody spoke. The dude had a borderline arrogance that resonated.

"It was pure reaction," Maehl says. "Click this, click that, you do that. Boom. In the water. In New York, in the Hudson River. Holy s--t."

Kelly, too, wanted his players operating on "pure reaction." Kelly, too, wanted that swagger to spread.

On the night of a 60-13 win over UCLA, Kelly played the ninth round of Micky Ward's epic fight against Arturo Gatti for the entire team—the Irishman was set to be played by Mark Wahlberg in The Fighter. Players watched this "Round of the Century," and then Kelly paused.

"I want to tell you what Micky was probably thinking during this fight," he told them, "but why don't I let Micky tell you?"

Ward emerged from a back room and explained what it took to be a champion.

Says Hawkins, "None of us knew he was there. Not even the coaches."

The boxer grew up 20 miles from Kelly. They're close friends.

Then, there was Chris Herren. Those are the goosebumps Arik Armstead remembers. The former NBA player told the Ducks he once overdosed on heroin and was clinically dead for 30 seconds.

"His story is crazy," Armstead says. "I think everyone will remember that one."

Friday nights—when these visitors, movies and activities usually took place—struck emotional chords players never knew they had. Kelly could be serious. He has shown videos of Steve Prefontaine and Secretariat, too. He could be funny. Kelly would dub Oregon-themed dialogue into movies like Thunderdome or show clips of a player celebrating in the end zone to the backdrop of "Look at me"-themed music.

The end result was a machine. An unstoppable machine. Oregon went 46-7 under Kelly, narrowly losing to Cam Newton's Auburn Tigers in the 2011 national title game with a team that had only one player drafted in the spring. Buy-in and a cast of no-names can dizzy anybody.

But this machine can also spontaneously combust into a pile of ashes.

Back
Top Bottom