Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

melo-and-the-wonderful-knicks1.gif

smokin.gif

Was that Toney Douglass by mass running like chicken with his head cut off like he aint know who to guard? :lol: :x :stoneface:

I was at the Philly game. It was my wife's birthday and she still hasn't let me forget, and rightfully so. :lol: We were so pissed, they played with no effort whatsoever. That game and the magic game had me ready to hit Tyson Chandler with the Tonya Harding. I could've cried when he missed that dunked. I've never been sooooo angry. :lol:

Phil Jackson unhappy with the Knicks offense

Phil Jackson hasn't been pleased with the New York Knicks' performance on offense -- particularly with the amount of times the team has run the triangle offense -- during their 2-4 start, league sources told ESPN.

New Knicks coach Jeff Hornacek has tried to speed up the offense this season and hasn't run much of the triangle in the first six games. After watching the Knicks' win over the Chicago Bulls last Friday, one Eastern Conference scout said the Knicks ran something out of a triangle set only a handful of times.

Hornacek has said that he's implementing "principles of the triangle" offense into the Knicks' half-court offense. But he also wants his club to try to generate offense early in the shot clock in transition, where pick and roll would be employed.

Players say that they've primarily run the triangle offense after dead balls so far this season, which is much less frequently than it was run during Jackson's first two full seasons as team president.

The Knicks rank 13th in offensive efficiency thus far. Their bigger issue for the club is on defense; they entered play Monday ranked 30th in the NBA in points allowed per 100 possessions, which is likely bothering Jackson just as much of the offense.

Jackson isn't the only member of the organization who has been upset over the triangle.

According to sources, some Knicks players have expressed their displeasure over the offense because they feel it doesn't suit their personnel, particularly point guard Derrick Rose, who has traditionally thrived when using pick and rolls.

During his time as Knicks president, Jackson has on occasion said he'd want his teams to run the triangle. But there have been occasions where he's said he just wants his team to have a system to operate out of half-court sets.

Hornacek has said that Jackson told him he'd have the freedom to tweak the offense how he saw fit, as long as he ran a system to space the floor in half-court settings.

"We talked a lot about it over the summer. Phil [Jackson's] given us the ability to run it anyway we want, how we set it up," Hornacek said during training camp. "We talked what we feel is a good working way to run it with different options. We'll get to all those as the year progresses, but it should be pretty easy."

Jackson's teams in Chicago and Los Angeles, of course, won a combined 11 NBA titles while running the triangle offense. Last month, though, Jackson noted that today's players may not be suited to run that particular system.

"How do you teach a system that requires so many fundamental skills to players that really haven't been taught some of that basic stuff? Footwork and passing and all those rudiment type of skills that are learned that have been, that have changed over a few years? It's a different game," Jackson said on The Big Podcast with Shaquille O'Neal.

"I solicited Jeff because Jeff came from a system, Utah had a nice system, and he wanted to accelerate the game and play at the pace that's kind of, present ballplayers like to play at. And yet, find a way to try and incorporate (a system to space the floor in the half-court offense). It's got to be done in a way in which it doesn't slow the game down but actually accentuates what they're trying to do."

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-new-york-knicks-limited-use-triangle-offense

Phil Jackson unhappy with the Knicks offense

Phil Jackson hasn't been pleased with the New York Knicks' performance on offense -- particularly with the amount of times the team has run the triangle offense -- during their 2-4 start, league sources told ESPN.

Triangle offense

:smh:

Last edited:
Offense isn't bad. Bad transitional defense, no boxing out, horrible shots, lack of real ball movement- those are the problems.

Back
Top Bottom