Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

This man thinking long term, I like it.

I gotta agree. Yes, it'll be great to see the Knicks play meaningful games in May, but let's not Kidd ourselves here.

Markelle Fultz/Lonzo Ball/ Harry Giles/Dennis Smith/Malik Monk/Josh Jackson next to KP>>>>>>>>>>>Getting scrubbed by Cleveland in the playoffs.

Long term is subjective, I don't considering tanking a viable long term plan. I'd rather build something that players want to be a part of, not just drafting high picks in hopes that it works out. If that's all you got then that's all you got but this is NYC.

I posted the last 25 or so Knicks draft picks a few pages ago. If that list is not reason enough to not purposely tank than idk what to tell you. This draft is talented for but it sure doesn't guarantee the knicks will get a superstar player at all. If Melo, Rose, or KP misses significant time due to injury and were not in the playoff hunt by the All Star break that's a different story but if we're competitive and we keep getting better as the days, weeks, and months go by hell no. Us fans deserve playoff basketball so what if we're not Cleveland or GS.

We tanked in 2014 to the 2nd worst record in the league but ended up with the 4th pick. Yeah, we got a future superstar but we also could've ended up with Mudiay, Winslow, WCS, or Okafor.

I love the guards in this upcoming draft class. There's no guarantee any of them pan out, though.

With all the crap people talk about Melo's leadership and selfishness, he's been a huge part of KP flourishing and gaining confidence.

He's always looked for him on the floor and been supportive in the media. You can even see that most of KP's go to moves are out of Carmelo's offensive bag.

I don't see the purpose of tanking. We have very few long term contracts. Lets keep fielding the best teams we can around Kristaps, let him keep growing in a healthy supportive environment, while we keep our payroll flexible and our team attractive to potential free agents. Stock pile some draft picks and put a good mix of young talent and star FAs that complement his game around him.

Why take on the unnecessary risk that comes with tanking? The lotto ball not bouncing our way, drafting a bust, putting too much pressure on a young star that can break him physically & mentally....

Tanking guarantees nothing.

Last edited:
i rather make the playoffs... i dont care for the lottery... all we have to do is draft well with the picks we have... look at the spurs they drafted tim duncan after 1 terrible season and didnt tank after that but still managed to pick up manu and parker... so its still possible to build around KP...melo is staying here lets forget about trading him its not even an option for phil... its all up to melo but he says hes staying so we can forget about that... i just hope melo can accept KP as the first option and take a back seat for once... it will benefit his career and give him more longevity to play longer

Last edited:
We tanked in 2014 to the 2nd worst record in the league but ended up with the 4th pick. Yeah, we got a future superstar but we also could've ended up with Mudiay, Winslow, WCS, or Okafor.

I love the guards in this upcoming draft class. There's no guarantee any of them pan out, though.
I don't think 2014 was an intentional tank... An 'i meant to do that' moment at best. :lol:

Last edited:
Anyone remember yesterday when Melo was holding the ball and there were boos then he got it to KP and everyone starts going crazy cheering :lol:

Anyone remember yesterday when Melo was holding the ball and there were boos then he got it to KP and everyone starts going crazy cheering :lol:
I commented about 2-3 games ago there was a sequence where 'Melo got the rock and started his iso and the crowd started screaming 'pass'. I felt that the crowd was finally tired of iso Melo.

Speaking of which:

NEW YORK (FOX 5 NEWS)  - Workers at Efficiency Enterprise named all the stray cats that come for food and shelter. They're sort of treated like pets. That is how it has been for two years in this industrial area of Astoria, Queens, until the coyotes moved in.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/215423390-story

LOLWUT.

Meanwhile I've been taking evening strolls along LaGuardia Airport's walls.
roll.gif
embarassed.gif

Last edited:
With all the crap people talk about Melo's leadership and selfishness, he's been a huge part of KP flourishing and gaining confidence.

He's always looked for him on the floor and been supportive in the media. You can even see that most of KP's go to moves are out of Carmelo's offensive bag.

I don't see the purpose of tanking. We have very few long term contracts. Lets keep fielding the best teams we can around Kristaps, let him keep growing in a healthy supportive environment, while we keep our payroll flexible and our team attractive to potential free agents. Stock pile some draft picks and put a good mix of young talent and star FAs that complement his game around him.

Why take on the unnecessary risk that comes with tanking? The lotto ball not bouncing our way, drafting a bust, putting too much pressure on a young star that can break him physically & mentally....

Tanking guarantees nothing.
For whatever reason Melo fell in love with KP after basically being supportive of none of his young teammates previously.

I'm impressed honestly he has stepped up in a big way, future Michael Finley to KP's Dirk.

Jose Calderon scored 72 points in the paint in 2,024 minutes last season.

Derrick Rose has scored 108 points in the paint in 347 mins this season
Rose is exactly what we need and Calderon was exactly what we needed......................................to get rid of and improve.

Melo sounding like a 2nd option in the post game interview
At least he knows his role...
:lol:
its funny cuz its true

its a sign of the times my man

Speaking of which:

NEW YORK (FOX 5 NEWS)  - Workers at Efficiency Enterprise named all the stray cats that come for food and shelter. They're sort of treated like pets. That is how it has been for two years in this industrial area of Astoria, Queens, until the coyotes moved in.

http://www.fox5ny.com/news/215423390-story

LOLWUT.

Meanwhile I've been taking evening strolls along LaGuardia Airport's walls.
roll.gif
embarassed.gif

Gunna be a Warriors-like animal rumble one day.

1. Giving credit to Melo for KP's development is asinine. They aren't working out together in the summer, KP is who he is cause he is hungry, dedicated and that good. Melo has been a good teammate but he didn't steal those moves from Melo :lol:

Son was pulling spin moves out his bag last night, that is not Melo's move.

2. As bad as the Knicks have been for 15 plus years, we have had ONE, just ONE top five pick. And what did that pick turn into? The best thing that has ever happened to this franchise in my lifetime. There is no guarantee you get an all-star in the top five but there is a lot better chance at getting a stud at 1/2/3/4 than there is as 13/14/15/16.

3. What pressure comes with tanking? None at all.

KP is built for this. He has been on his own in a foreign country since he was 15 years old. He isn't an immature kid, he literaly has a family support system around him that focusses him and makes it obvious that his one care is ball.

He wants to be the man. At the same time he's smart enough and a good guy that he isn't going to come out and disrespect Melo and say this is my team even if he wants it to be that way.

The greats want that weight on their shoulders. You can clearly see who is built for it and who isn't. And KP is built for it.

4. In terms of building a culture around him? In three years KP will enter his prime and as of right now, we don't have a single guy who is going to be there with him. As I said Kat has Wiggins/Lavine, Embiid has Simmons, Lakers have Randle/Ingram/D'angelo. Knicks don't need a superstar, they have one. But they need a couple more dogs on the team. And it's easier to get those dogs in the top 5 than it is in 5-15 range.

5. I just don't understand the "I'd rather be in the first round of the playoffs than build a team that can win the chip," mentality.

You play to win it all. No one remembers who was in the playoffs, they remember who was in the finals. Rings are what we use to measure success, fair or foul. That is what I want to experience as a Knick fan.

Guess a lot of y'all have lower standards of success than I do though.

Last edited:
Please point to tangible evidence that he deserves proof. Just because he hasn't come out and tried to **** on the guy doesn't mean he deserves credit to KP for his development. Why take away from KP unfairly? He has made strides through his own dedication not because anyone else gave him something or whatever.

And it is certainly from on the court play that he's helping KP cause he is averaging 2.7 assists. So its not like his main focus out there is to run the rock to KP, his main focus is still to score.

Props to 100027 100027 he hasn't rocked with Melo for years but to come in here and give him credit says a lot. It's refreshing to see a take from a non Melo fan that isn't pitting him and KP against each other.

Back
Top Bottom