Official 2017 Knicks Offseason thread, Phil Jackson gone

Lebron went to the finals with Eric snow
AI went to the finals with ??
D Howard went to the finals with a whole bunch of role players.
Mike made everyone around him better. Melo makes no one around him better. If they were to do the NBA draft right now again Melo would be lucky to get selected late in the 1st round. I don't know what everyone's infatuation with Melo is. When everything is all said and done Melo will go down as one of the best scorers of all time and that's it. He's the guy at pick up games where you know you're just going to have to stand around and wait to see what he's going to do. No flow no nothing to his game.

If this team actually had a real defensive coordinator with a system that highlights our teams strengths and disguises our weaknesses we would be 48+ win team. We're 14th in offense and LAST in defense. We would have to be an extremely elite offense to be successful with such a poor defense. This 5-7 struggling to reach .500 team is the one your gonna get all year unless the defense improves. This team as currently constructed is a 3rd seed if we played good defense. A bonafide scorer off the bench would make us even more formidable if we got the defense in order but to continue to waste your breath belly aching about Melo taking too much shots and KP not getting enough is pointless considering our offense is not the issue it's solely the defense. I'll take 14th in the NBA with the potential to get even better when players get more acclimated offensively (Jennings, Rose, Lee) but I can't take dead last in the league defensively, it's unacceptable.

I'm def not complaining about Melo taking shots I'm just saying how he disrupts the flow of the game and our rhythm. His game just doesn't compliment anyone. He needs to be that Paul Pierce or that Kevin Love on championship teams. He can't even be the Pippen.

Last edited:
I think D. Rose is holding back on his game.

Melo never really had a legit #2.
Compare Melos second options throughout his time in the NBA to any second options in the past championship teams and you'll realize. Lebrons third options (Bosh/Kevin Love) have been better than Melos second

They wouldn't trade Klay for Melo

Last edited:
BTW, this is what an Eastern Conference scout said about KP via NBA.com:

"Did you see what he did to the Pistons? That’s the way you have to use him right now. You need to give him options on how he wants to attack. I’ll say this, he’s a matchup nightmare at the five. An absolute nightmare. He’s going to outrun any other center in the league and he has that length advantage at 7-3 that’s just impossible to deal with in certain situations. And yes, he’s going to take his lumps trying to guard some fives on the other end. So what. He’s not strong enough to dominate on a consistent basis right now anyway. He’s still just too light for that. But with him at the five and Carmelo [Anthony] at the four, you’re looking at the Knicks at their best. Because Carmelo is better against others four than his is threes at this stage of his career. Porzingis is their future. And the sooner you cater what you’re doing to his skill set, the better. KD [Kevin Durant] was right. He is a unicorn. Even better, he’s … what did James Harden say about Russell Westrbrook? He’s ‘un-normal.’ Well, Porzingis is un-normal."

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Kristaps is 15th in the NBA in RPM

For comparison sake Karl-Anthony Towns is 48th

Melo is 55th

Rose is 400th (the 8th worst player in the entire NBA)

Last edited:
BTW, this is what an Eastern Conference scout said about KP via NBA.com:

"Did you see what he did to the Pistons? That’s the way you have to use him right now. You need to give him options on how he wants to attack. I’ll say this, he’s a matchup nightmare at the five. An absolute nightmare. He’s going to outrun any other center in the league and he has that length advantage at 7-3 that’s just impossible to deal with in certain situations. And yes, he’s going to take his lumps trying to guard some fives on the other end. So what. He’s not strong enough to dominate on a consistent basis right now anyway. He’s still just too light for that. But with him at the five and Carmelo [Anthony] at the four, you’re looking at the Knicks at their best. Because Carmelo is better against others four than his is threes at this stage of his career. Porzingis is their future. And the sooner you cater what you’re doing to his skill set, the better. KD [Kevin Durant] was right. He is a unicorn. Even better, he’s … what did James Harden say about Russell Westrbrook? He’s ‘un-normal.’ Well, Porzingis is un-normal."

http://www.espn.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Kristaps is 15th in the NBA in RPM

For comparison sake Karl-Anthony Towns is 48th

Melo is 55th

Rose is 400th (the 8th worst player in the entire NBA)

I can't believe how quickly he turned into a star. The guy who was labeled as a 3 year project is leading all PF's in ORPM 12 games into his 2nd season. His work ethic is what's gonna make him a superstar.

Also, credit to Hornacek for putting him in positions to succeed. Fisher/Rambis had him posting up 18' from the hoop trying to make him a 'true big man' :x.

Mike made everyone around him better. Melo makes no one around him better. If they were to do the NBA draft right now again Melo would be lucky to get selected late in the 1st round. I don't know what everyone's infatuation with Melo is. When everything is all said and done Melo will go down as one of the best scorers of all time and that's it. He's the guy at pick up games where you know you're just going to have to stand around and wait to see what he's going to do. No flow no nothing to his game.

you have a good point and props to those players bringing their team to the chip and melo couldnt do that... but at the same time none of those guys won a chip unless they had a legit #2 option... jordan had pippin and lebron always had 2 really good players next to him... so he won with a team of 3 all stars minimum... i would like to see melo with that type of talent around him...

I can't believe how quickly he turned into a star. The guy who was labeled as a 3 year project is leading all PF's in ORPM 12 games into his 2nd season. His work ethic is what's gonna make him a superstar.

Also, credit to Hornacek for putting him in positions to succeed. Fisher/Rambis had him posting up 18' from the hoop trying to make him a 'true big man' :x.

Scary part is he'll be even better if he played center full time

Last edited:
I guess when things aren't going right it's always easiest to blame the star player. Excuse my vents.

Man everybody in here gets frustrated and vents at some point. Especially on Melo since he's the longest tenured Knick and now out of his prime. I just feel like our defense is extremely bad and is by far the biggest problem with this team. If we aren't hot from the field we just won't win at all regardless of who the opponent is. That absolutely sucks as a fan knowing you only have one way to win and that strength is not even elite it's slightly above average.

Also I really despise Phil Jackson and his micro managing of Jeff and his staff. Why the hell would he appoint Rambis as DC ? Why the hell is Rambis here ? He's and extremely ****** coach on the assistant level and head coach level but this man has a position cemented wherever Phil is collecting his checks from. Even if Rambis was a competent defensive coach I truly feel he wouldn't even give his best effort because he knows for a fact if we struggle this year and next Horny is probably gonna be fired and of course he's gonna take over as the head coach. Such a awful situation for Horny to be in. Thanks Phil Jackson

Last edited:
Rambis is most likely out the door once Phil is done, which should be soon. The next gm must clear the air of the triangle and all it's remnants.

You think Melo is down?

:lol: You think GSW is down?
Man, y'all just not getting it.
I really don't think you're getting it. GSW situation don't matter.

Melo got a no trade clause.

Talking about trade him while he still got value. Only thing that matters in a trade involving him is if he wants to leave.

Plus why do you think they would give up Klay for Melo now?
Melo played most of his career in the stacked West.

Notice all your examples are ****** eastern teams :lol: in a shotty eastern conference. Now Melo is on one of those ****tier eastern teams and you're still trying to make dumbass comparisons like you don't know what the **** went on.

You either doing it on purpose or have terrible memory.

Cmon son.

Last edited:
I really don't think you're getting it. GSW situation don't matter.

Melo got a no trade clause.

Talking about trade him while he still got value. Only thing that matters in a trade involving him is if he wants to leave.

Plus why do you think they would give up Klay for Melo now?
Melo played most of his career in the stacked West.

Notice all your examples are ****** eastern teams :lol: in a shotty eastern conference. Now Melo is on one of those ****tier eastern teams and you're still trying to make dumbass comparisons like you don't know what the **** went on.

You either doing it on purpose or have terrible memory.

Cmon son.

Those teams went to the FINALS regardless of how ****** the conference was. We cant even have a winning record. So how can you even compare Finals in ****** conference or can't even get a winning record in a decent conference. Cmon. So what you're saying is if put any of our recent teams in those year groups we would've been in the finals?

I think D. Rose is holding back on his game.

Melo never really had a legit #2.
Compare Melos second options throughout his time in the NBA to any second options in the past championship teams and you'll realize. Lebrons third options (Bosh/Kevin Love) have been better than Melos second

They wouldn't trade Klay for Melo
hes waiting for the 2nd half. This dude is religious about his body nowadays, which is fine, but he will show out. Hes only pushing about 65%

Back
Top Bottom