Official 2017 NBA Offseason Thread: Media Days begin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Will the C's just give us Tatum, Bradley and a First Round pick already man? **** Danny Ainge 
mean.gif
You aren't getting that for PG.
I'm almost 99% positive that Indiana would've taken Fultz and a player for Paul George. Trading down worsened their offer for PG by miles.

Will the C's just give us Tatum, Bradley and a First Round pick already man? **** Danny Ainge 
mean.gif
you guys would be committing highway robbery if that occurred. I will then say Ainge is an idiot.

The Rockets laid down the foundation on what should be traded. Boston can't make that move when the clippers got 40 cents on the dollar.

Hold out on George. Indy has no leverage whatsoever.
Man C's not getting any marquee FA this Summer. They gonna find out quickly they gonna have to fork up if they wanna get better. One year rental > not having PG

Man C's not getting any marquee FA this Summer. They gonna find out quickly they gonna have to fork up if they wanna get better. One year rental > not having PG
Maybe they really just don't like his game  bc it baffles me that the C's couldnt swing a deal for Jimmy Butler.  I mean the Wolves got him for peanuts.   

Off tops in terms of play calling, managing minutes, rotations, etc.

Pop
Carlisle
Pringles
Bud
Stevens
Snyder
Whoever coaches the Warriors
Doc runs great plays, his rotations suck.
Spo is legit.

I'm probably missing some. These guys get it right sometimes

Brooks
Kidd
SVG (moreso his roster)
Donovan
Lue

Pop
Carlisle
Pringles
Bud
Stevens
Snyder
Spo is legit.

Brooks
Kidd
SVG (moreso his roster)
Donovan
Lue
To me the list is even shorter than that.  I feel like a lot depends on the situation the coaches are put in.  I mean look at Stevens...great coach I agree but he would have been bounced out of the first round if Rondo didn't get hurt.  They had no answer when he was on the court.  Tune would have been VERY different.

Kerr is the reason the Warriors got to the point of not needing a coach though. He got them how to understand how to justplay basketball. On lie a Pop level. There's no way im ignoring that. He's probably a top 3 coach for me for that reason.

Last edited:

Pop
Carlisle
Pringles
Bud
Stevens
Snyder
Spo is legit.

Brooks
Kidd
SVG (moreso his roster)
Donovan
Lue
That's 14 guys, man.

Pop, Carlisle, Kerr (overall team scheme is amazing.  The on the court stuff is very secondary), Spoelstra.  That's the "best" group for me.  Pringles in his own category at the top of the second group because of his contributions to the game but I'm open to arguments about that one.  

Really not a Doc fan though.

Last edited:
Doc runs some great stuff. But then Doc will let Jamal Crawford cook or burn. And he still doesn't stagger his lineups.

He's not a bad coach though. Like Nate McMillan was bad. Vogel was bad. Keith Smart/ Derek fisher etc.

But having generational talent >>> coaching everyday.

Doc runs some great stuff. But then Doc will let Jamal Crawford cook or burn. And he still doesn't stagger his lineups.

He's not a bad coach though. Like Nate McMillan was bad. Vogel was bad. Keith Smart/ Derek fisher etc.

In the NBA, plays matter less than rotation management and connecting with players to motivate them

Last edited:
One thing I think is funny about this convo....

A couple years ago I made a very similar point about Tom Tibodeau who everyone was calling one of the greatest coaches in the league.

Now no one's even putting him on their lists.

Let's just wait and see.

In the NBA, plays matter less than rotation management and connecting with players to motivate them
I definitely agree.  Play-calling is easily pointed to as indicating a "smart" coach but it's far from their most important job.  This isn't NFL.

Last edited:

I disagree. They're equally as important. Look at what Carlisle does. They're always competitive cause of Dirk and the strings Carlisle pulls. Ask JJ Barea

Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine

League sources: Growing resignation among interested teams that New Orleans comes to terms quickly with Jrue Holiday on rich five-year deal

Big mistake imo

Figured the Pelicans were going to re-sign Holiday when they pulled off the Boogie trade. Gave Holiday even more leverage.

My basketball philosophy is that you shouldn't be heavily dependent on play calling to begin with. The best basketball that gets played is when there's chemistry and the offense just naturally flows. Instead of having some specific plan just constantly down screen, pick away, set on-balls, and read the defense. Curl cut, back door, flare, relocate around the perimeter. Just read the defense, find the open spot and keep moving. And communicate.

Now there's obviously times where plays are necessary and every situation is different but imo this should be 90% of your game. Problem is so many players just don't get it.

Like when Dray said on that barbershop show with LeBron. There's alot of players who dont actually understand how to play basketball.

Last edited:
I disagree. They're equally as important. Look at what Carlisle does. They're always competitive cause of Dirk and the strings Carlisle pulls. Ask JJ Barea
He's kind of an exception but he's been criticized before for having too tight of a hold on the offense vs. letting players play freely.  I still think he's a great coach though.
My basketball philosophy is that you shouldn't be heavily dependent on play calling to begin with. The best basketball that gets played is when there's chemistry and the offense just naturally flows. Instead of having some specific plan just constantly down screen, pick away, set on-balls, and read the defense. Curl cut, back door, flare, relocate around the perimeter. Just read the defense, find the open spot and keep moving. And communicate.

Now there's obviously times where plays are necessary and every situation is different but imo this should be 90% of your game. Problem is so many players just don't get it.

Like when Dray said on that barbershop show with LeBron. There's alot of players who dont actually understand how to play basketball.
Couldn't agree more.  The beauty of the game is that it's a free-flowing creative game where decisions are made by the players, not the coaches. At least at the best level.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom