OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
DN6WjdJX0AEhXF8.jpg

Teams are firing coaches and paying tens of millions in buy-outs without even knowing if they can find someone better. TAMU is the 3rd or 4th best coaching job available this season, why fire Sumlin only to hire your 4th choice? These ADs are acting like message board fans in 2017.

Where buddy at who predicted Miami to lose by 2 TDs?

It was me. I'll eat crow on that one, I didn't believe in Miami. Just know that Mark Richt is gonna blow a game for you this year. This is coming from a UGA fan who had him as a coach for 15 seasons. Love the dude, he's one of the kindest, most genuine men I've ever met but he's good to blow a big game.

I don’t think Patterson’s a pipe dream.

Lol. Dude has a statue on campus. Why would he leave for the dumpster fire that is Texas A&M? A&M is a middle of the pack program with a history of firing coaches and never living up to the fan bases expectations. Plus, easier to get to CFP in the Big 12 than SEC. If Patterson was going to leave he would have done it years ago. That shipped has sailed.

I know for a fact Patterson talked to Woodward’s people at A&M last off-season. But A&M wasn’t in a position to cut a $15M check to boot Sumlin and pay a new staff.

A&M, whether you want to admit it or not, has a significantly higher ceiling than TCU.

Will he leave? I don’t know. In fact if I had to guess, I’d guess he doesn’t. Is it a pipe dream like Chris Petersen or James Franklin? It’s absolutely not.

Is it really easier to get to the playoff when the BigXII is on the verge of getting locked out for the third time in 4 years? If TCU and OU split next week and the championship game, that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

It's easier when you have Saban as a roadblock. A&M will likely never be in serious contention in the West let alone the entire SEC.

I know for a fact Patterson talked to Woodward’s people at A&M last off-season. But A&M wasn’t in a position to cut a $15M check to boot Sumlin and pay a new staff.

A&M, whether you want to admit it or not, has a significantly higher ceiling than TCU.

Will he leave? I don’t know. In fact if I had to guess, I’d guess he doesn’t. Is it a pipe dream like Chris Petersen or James Franklin? It’s absolutely not.

Is it really easier to get to the playoff when the BigXII is on the verge of getting locked out for the third time in 4 years? If TCU and OU split next week and the championship game, that’s exactly what’s going to happen.

Patterson talks to a lot of teams. Easy way to get a raise and get the assistants more money. You don't think TCU will match A&M's offer? We have deep pockets also...He's been "talking to other schools" for years. Its laughable at this point really. His name is brought up for damn near every vacancy and yet he's still in Ft. Worth....I think since Patterson has been at TCU he was going to take the Kansas State, Minnesota, Arkansas and A&M jobs all at some point. And yet, he hasnt.

Sure A&M has a higher ceiling but they will never reach the ceiling, thats the problem. Their fan base has too high of expectations. A&M will always be 3-4 in their division. Thats how they were in the Big 12 as well. TCU is closer to winning a championship that A&M and its really not close at this point.

And yes, getting to the CFP is easier in the Big 12.

I'll come back and eat all the crow if he leaves, but Im not holding my breath.

It's easier when you have Saban as a roadblock. A&M will likely never be in serious contention in the West let alone the entire SEC.

How much longer does Saban realistically have?

He's 66, and Bill Snyder is the only guy I can think of who coached at a high level in his 70's. I know it seems hard to believe but the decline is probably coming.

He's 66, and Bill Snyder is the only guy I can think of who coached at a high level in his 70's. I know it seems hard to believe but the decline is probably coming.

Saban is going to coach as long as he wants to. That program recruits itself at this point on brand name alone, I don't see a decline happening anytime soon.

By all accounts, Saban is definitely one of those guys who doesn't know what the hell to do without football. I'd guess that he probably goes out while he's already into his decline.

Lol. Dude has a statue on campus. Why would he leave for the dumpster fire that is Texas A&M? A&M is a middle of the pack program with a history of firing coaches and never living up to the fan bases expectations. Plus, easier to get to CFP in the Big 12 than SEC. If Patterson was going to leave he would have done it years ago. That shipped has sailed.

For real. Patterson is making $4.75 million at TCU, why leave to go to TAMU where you're at best, 3rd in your division behind Bama, Auburn and LSU? TAMU had 2 good years with Johnny Manziel and all of a sudden 10 wins is their standard. TAMU is a good job, you'll get paid big bucks and their facilities are top notch but their expectations are too high in my opinion

I'm sure people said the same thing about Nebraska, Miami, USC, and FSU. All dynastys end at some point.

Saban is basically a decade in already. Only FSU really had a sustained run in the 90s similar and even they weren't this great. He's obsessed with coaching in the hypothetical time frame 5 years that a Gary Patterson would be at A&M they still wouldn't be a contender in their own division. He would be fired or move on voluntarily.

Michigan insiders are already prepping fans that Speight may get the nod when he is healthy... Chatter that it is possibly Wisconsin... Would have a hard time watching those games if it happened and would then help Brandon Peters pack up his stuff and drive him to his next school.

TAMU had 2 good years with Johnny Manziel and all of a sudden 10 wins is their standard. TAMU is a good job, you'll get paid big bucks and their facilities are top notch but their expectations are too high in my opinion
The baseline for A&M is 7-8 wins. That’s been proven and played out by Mike Sherman and Kevin Sumlin. Any dumbass can take that job and win 8 every single year.

When you’re given Top 5 resources, Top 3 facilities, and Top 5 money for both head coach and staff, why shouldn’t you expect to be more competitive than they’ve been?

The baseline for A&M is 7-8 wins. That’s been proven and played out by Mike Sherman and Kevin Sumlin. Any dumbass can take that job and win 8 every single year.

When you’re given Top 5 resources, Top 3 facilities, and Top 5 money for both head coach and staff, why shouldn’t you expect to be more competitive than they’ve been?

The expectations are fine, but are they realistic. They're probably the 4th best program in that division even with the resources they have.

TAMU restarts out with 3 losses off top with LSU, Bama and Auburn. Those are threes you play every year that are straight up more talented than you year in year out. 9-3 should be considered a good season at TAMU. They've won 10 games once in the last decade.

TAMU restarts out with 3 losses off top with LSU, Bama and Auburn. Those are threes you play every year that are straight up more talented than you year in year out. 9-3 should be considered a good season at TAMU.
A&M has played Auburn to a draw since coming to the SEC. Even under Sumlin.

A&M can recruit well enough to compete with anyone. Just needs a coach that doesn’t have his head firmly planted up his own ***.

I think 9-3 is what they consider the baseline. And it probably should be. 8-5 is the bare minimum and Sumlin’s pretty well shown that’s about what he’s capable of. Whether they can reel in a big fish or not, there’s no doubt it’s time to move on.

Michigan insiders are already prepping fans that Speight may get the nod when he is healthy... Chatter that it is possibly Wisconsin... Would have a hard time watching those games if it happened and would then help Brandon Peters pack up his stuff and drive him to his next school.
Makes no sense at all.
The expectations are fine, but are they realistic. They're probably the 4th best program in that division even with the resources they have.

Why do they have to be 4th best in the West with their budget and the amount of talent in Texas?

Probably long enough to get 12 more coaches fired lol. The thing that's depressing if you're in the SEC West is a great season could be derailed before you even make it to the SEC CG.

Makes no sense at all.

Why do they have to be 4th best in the West with their budget and the amount of talent in Texas?

Bama, LSU, and Auburn (most years) get better talent year in and out.

Bama, LSU, and Auburn (most years) get better talent year in and out.
Sumlin’s reeling in Top 10 classes or close to it every year literally without putting in any effort. And a staff that has zero stud recruiters.

Access to talent isn’t an issue. At all.

Sumlin’s played Auburn dead even and Sumlin sucks.

Makes no sense at all.

The funny thing is that they're recruiting well. Look at the last 5 recruiting classes and where they rank nationally and within their conference (per 247 sports)

2018: 12 nationally; 4th in the SEC
2017: 13 nationally; 6th in the SEC
2016: 18 nationally; 8th in the SEC
2015: 11 nationally; 6th in the SEC
2014: 5 nationally; 3rd in the SEC

They have top talent nationally and in any other conference they might be the most talented team but in the SEC you can have a top 5 recruiting class and have the 3rd best class in your division.

Sumlin’s reeling in Top 10 classes or close to it every year literally without putting in any effort. And a staff that has zero stud recruiters.

Access to talent isn’t an issue. At all.

Sumlin’s played Auburn dead even and Sumlin sucks.

A class is only as good as the development of said talent. Outside of Johnny Football, Myles Garrett, and Christian Kirk and I guess a few O-linemen there's not been many impact guys there or lower star guys that have been surprises.

SEC is about offensive and defensive lines and depth at those positions, I don't think A&M has competed with those aforementioned programs on that level. And they're still behind Bama, LSU, and Auburn (most years) even with those top end recruits.

Back
Top Bottom