OFFICIAL 2018 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Who is going to win the Big Ten this season?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Why is coaching in the SEC so bad...it's like all these once-promising coaches get there and just end up getting exposed, but that seems to be the case for everyone except for Saban obviously. McElwain was a good candidate 3 years ago for the job...he had all the qualifications but he just didn't pan out. You could say the same for Butch, Bielema, and Sumlin.

Hell no he wasn't at all. I said as much when he was hired.

Crazy Mac gone yet Butch still got a job LOL

Quoted from the 247 UF board-

"From the Tennessee board:

"Think about this. The guy beat us 2 out of his three years and has won the East two years in a row- and he is gone the morning after a big loss to a rival.

Somebody look on Amazon and see if they have a pair of Gainesville balls for our AD."

Life is good when rivals are panicking over us."

Last edited:
Tennessee definitely looking like the biggest loser out of this situation.

Probably. I need Randy Shannon to do well the rest of the season and make him a HC candidate now :rofl:

Wishful thinking, I know! lol

Reading on the same site that UF reps flew out after the LSU game to meet with Mike Norvell. And contacted others to gauge interest. Another poster said he's buddies with a bull gaytor and Frost was the top target. IMO Randy Shannon as next UF coach with a repeat of his days as Miami's HC and I'd be happy lol.

Last edited:
Stricklin’s list (all AD’s keep a running list of coaching candidates for such moments) includes all the typical names: His old buddy Dan Mullen (Striklin was Mullen’s boss at Mississippi State); UCF head coach Scott Frost; current ESPN employee Chip Kelly; Iowa State’s Matt Campbell; Memphis’ Mike Norvell.

Sources tell The Read Optional Scott Frost is interested in the job. Some Florida power brokers have quietly lobbied for Frost behind the scenes, concerned that if they don’t strike early Frost will wind up taking the Nebraska job (his alma mater). Frost has yet to have discussions with any school. He will make his choice based on fit, not money, a source close to Frost told The Read Optional.

The same is true for Chip Kelly. Kelly is looking at fits rather than the biggest pay day. Sources tell The Read Optional that Kelly has yet to hear from either Florida or Tennessee about their potential openings. Kelly’s choice will come down to recruiting: The staff he can assemble, and the investment from the school into analysts and the overall recruiting budget. Kelly has no holdups about media obligations, as has been suggested by some.

Interestingly, sources tell The Read Optional that Kelly would be interested in the Navy job, were Ken Niumatalolo to leave during this current coaching cycle. Kelly would prefer to be back in the NFL, but he remains realistic.

Moving swiftly would free up Stricklin to begin the search process as quickly as possible without a lame duck coach. He also faces the possibility of going head-to-head with SEC East rival Tennessee as it begins its search for a new head coach. Sources have confirmed to The Read Optional reports from elsewhere that Tennessee has offered over $10 million a year to Jon Gruden. The rest of the name’s on the school’s list currently matches Florida’s — Tennessee’s list also includes Gary Patterson (TCU), Bobby Petrino (Louisville) and Jeff Brohm (Purdue).

https://thereadoptional.com/mcelwain-out-at-florida-what-next-6a31e0751b38

I see the Nebraska school plane on the tarmac at Orlando International Airport right now trying to convice Frost. BRB, gonna go to the Nebraska forums lol

Anyway, a few names on those lists seem like real long shots (Patterson) or names I'd steer clear of (Petrino). If Chip gets the right guys on his statff, there's no more fertile ground to recruit than FL. It would be right in his backyard. Personally, I don't want to see him at UF.

Last edited:
Mac was a terrible hire when UF did it a few years ago. Same with Butch. I remember when both guys were hired, i said "well, thats two less teams to worry about."

I feel the next two hires will be the complete opposite.

Mac was a terrible hire when UF did it a few years ago. Same with Butch. I remember when both guys were hired, i said "well, thats two less teams to worry about."

I feel the next two hires will be the complete opposite.

Crazy to think in my near 40 years, FSU has had a grand total of 2 football coaches. UF has had 8, working on their 9th and a total of 12 coaches if you count interims, and will soon to be 13 once the new guy is hired. That said, here's to them hiring another dud. The reality is they're going to turn the corner at some point. All of the Big 3 universities may hit rocky roads, but there's too much talent and too much love for football in FL for any of the 3 schools not to get back on the right track at some point. Miami has done it several times. And even though I don't think they're as good as their record indicates, Mark Richt has those boys on the right path and their future is looking bright.

Last edited:
I propose let WIllie Taggart take the UF job and let Chip Kelly go back to Eugene.

Done and done.

Tennessee is next.

I don’t know that Chip wants to go back to Eugene. He was pretty eager to get out of there and to the NFL. Phil isn’t the easiest boss.

Some mid major/low P5 Coach is gonna get horribly overpaid this offseason.

Back
Top Bottom