Official 2018 Los Angeles Dodgers Thread : Game 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
speak of the devil: https://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/story/_/id/30170872/ranking-every-mlb-free-agent-2020-offseason

With MLB free agency open for business, we're ranking all the players on the open market. These free agents are ranked based on the guaranteed money I expect each player will be offered. I say offered rather than each player's projected contract only because of Trevor Bauer, who I'm betting will get offered more than $50 million, perhaps well more than $50 million guaranteed, but I'm thinking he will opt for a one-year deal. I'm sure some other players will make decisions of this sort, but those will be more random and market-driven (hence harder to project now) and much lower-stakes decisions, such as choosing a one-year, $8 million offer instead of two years, $13 million.

As you'll notice in reading the comments on each player, this market is almost impossible to predict, even more so than most years, and the recent contract options declined by clubs have served to set the market in a way, though I expect it to improve after the holidays. The top of the market (i.e., unique players without substitutions of comparable quality) should be something like what we've come to expect. The bigger-money deals should all happen later in the offseason, so it might be months before we see anything constituting market-setting deals rather than settling primarily for cheap one-year deals. There also will be a lot of non-tenders in early December, adding to this preliminary free-agent pool.
12. Justin Turner, 3B, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 2 years, $27 million

Turner is most remembered now for his post-World Series exploits, but he has been wildly productive offensively, the ninth-best hitter (min. 3,000 PA) in baseball since 2014 with a 141 wRC+. Turner has been a 3- to 5-win player for that whole span, and his offensive luck has actually been bad the past few years. This would probably warrant a three-year deal in a normal market, but probably two years this winter, unless he takes a hometown discount.

32. Blake Treinen, RP, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $8 million

Treinen posted one of the best relief seasons in recent memory in 2018, then was legitimately bad in 2019, followed by a bounce-back 2020 with the Dodgers. A ground-ball-oriented righty reliever on the wrong side of 30 isn't the most in-demand type of pitcher, but he's solid setup-guy material.

44. Joc Pederson, OF, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $5.5 million

Pederson is average to a bit below average defensively in a corner and about average offensively, even though the numbers show he was unlucky at the plate this year. He swings real hard and can be frustrating to watch. He'll be a starter for a bad team or a platoon/rotation player for a good team.

55. Jake McGee, RP, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $5 million

McGee has thrown at least 80% fastballs his whole career but regained his effectiveness this year in 20⅓ innings for the Dodgers in part because his average velo was back up to 95.

61. Enrique Hernandez, UTIL, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $4.5 million

Hernandez had a down year at the plate as part of a two-year decline, but he's about average at second base and all three outfield spots, along with being playable all over the infield. He's a good utility player but has very little chance of being more than that.

92. Pedro Baez, RP, Dodgers
2021 Opening Day age:
Projected contract: 1 year, $4 million

Baez's velo also has come down in recent years, and he's also a perfectly fine veteran middle reliever who's seemingly been very hit-lucky in 2019 and 2020 as his margin for error has lessened.

Joc's prediction and reasoning sounds pretty damn accurate. Maybe he gets his numbers up in a full season and goes for a multi-year deal next offseason.

I think Joc is gone but i'm holding out hope he takes a 1 year just to see how next year will pan out money wise for everyone. I do think they need to bring back Ki-ke because his versatility is huge for the dodgers and it's not really one you think about until he's not available anymore. I'm hoping they go after Hand but with Friedman they always do try to convert some guys which luckily has worked out the past few years but after multiple long seasons except for this year they might need some fresh new arms. I'm not sure what the farm system has pitching wise right now, I have to look it up.

Crazy we gave up 3 guys who are in the running for the Cy Young...and we really didn't miss a best. Had we had price we might have swept through the playoffs...

FB_IMG_1604373751932.jpg

Rumored opening day jersey next year...

I need the photo of Urias celebrating as Barnes runs out. Anyone know of a good spot to buy that? Usually that stuff is all over ebay but there's nothing.

Also if you want the LA Daily News Book/Magazine, it just got discounted on amazon and ships next week: Amazon product ASIN 162937816X

Old friends news..

Losing 2 CY Young finalist and still wining the WS :nthat:

I need the photo of Urias celebrating as Barnes runs out. Anyone know of a good spot to buy that? Usually that stuff is all over ebay but there's nothing.

Also if you want the LA Daily News Book/Magazine, it just got discounted on amazon and ships next week: Amazon product ASIN 162937816X

Thanks just ordered mine. The Dodger SI issue comes out thursday also so keep a look out for that also everyone.

Nice. Gonna have to settle for the replica.

To be honest you can get the custom home cheaper and add the patch. Probably would have saved another 75 bucks had i did it that way.

Custom authentics were marked down 30% on fanatics. If you use raise gift cards you can save another 13 to 14%

Only thing that sucks is they don't have Urias for some odd reason. I did make it custom but it won't have the accent over the I. Going to send it to EPS to get that done. He was way too important to the world series run to not have his jersey.

Last edited:
Does Mookie have a chance at MVP? I mean I don't see how Manny and not Tatis is in the MVP convo. I could see Freeman but we finished with a better record than the Braves...

If Mooke gets it, he would be only player since Frank Robinson to win the NL and AL MVP awards...

Does Mookie have a chance at MVP? I mean I don't see how Manny and not Tatis is in the MVP convo. I could see Freeman but we finished with a better record than the Braves...

If Mooke gets it, he would be only player since Frank Robinson to win the NL and AL MVP awards...

I think Freddie wins it, he balled out this year. One could make a case that Acuña and Ozuna batting around him helped, and 1st base isn’t as valuable defensively as Right Field, but Freddie has the narrative of coming into the season after having COVID and the Braves doing well.

It’s one of those things where you wonder who would’ve separated themself in a traditional 162 game. I think Mookie will come in second, but he’s just as deserving of MVP.

To be honest you can get the custom home cheaper and add the patch. Probably would have saved another 75 bucks had i did it that way.

Custom authentics were marked down 30% on fanatics. If you use raise gift cards you can save another 13 to 14%

Only thing that sucks is they don't have Urias for some odd reason. I did make it custom but it won't have the accent over the I. Going to send it to EPS to get that done. He was way too important to the world series run to not have his jersey.

This is what I did. I ordered the patch from the site somebody else posted on here a few pages back and now just waiting for the jerseys to come in.

What’s that extra 13% off you’re talking about 🧐

This is what I did. I ordered the patch from the site somebody else posted on here a few pages back and now just waiting for the jerseys to come in.

What’s that extra 13% off you’re talking about 🧐

Buy fanatics gift cards from raise. They are normally 13 to 15% off. 100 gift card right now going for 87 bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom