OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany: Conference is Discussing Getting Rid of Divisions

After missing out on the College Football Playoff for the second year in a row, the Big Ten is discussing the possibility of doing away with the conference's East and West divisions, commissioner Jim Delany said on Wednesday.

According to Delany, Big Ten decision makers have had conversations about making changes to the Big Ten championship game so that it would feature the two best teams and not the division winners.
As it stands, the Big Ten's balance of power lies in the East Division, where Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State have won six of eight title games. The conference champion has come from the East Division every year since the Big Ten was realigned five seasons ago.

Yeah I saw that. I meant moreso the fact that you are hiring a Briles.

Like, that stench from that situation still isn't off him for me. I'm personally not a fan of the hire but I get it from a football standpoint and it seems he has done all that he could to erase the lingering stigma from Baylor off of him. But still. Strictly football-wise it's a no brainer and it should have been done last year if he didn't have everything else going on.

Yes, Kendal nako xl nako xl

I’m good with it, personally. For reasons you outlined about removing the stench. Additionally this would be his 3rd stop since Baylor and his previous employers seem to hold him in high regard. Freeze would just be a quick pit stop for his next gig. Band-Aiding things for a year, maybe 2 if we’re lucky doesn’t seem to be very ideal.

OT: Auburn trying to push Gus out? I read they’re putting 1 year limits on his coaching hires? Any truth to that?

Last edited:
Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany: Conference is Discussing Getting Rid of Divisions

After missing out on the College Football Playoff for the second year in a row, the Big Ten is discussing the possibility of doing away with the conference's East and West divisions, commissioner Jim Delany said on Wednesday.

According to Delany, Big Ten decision makers have had conversations about making changes to the Big Ten championship game so that it would feature the two best teams and not the division winners.
As it stands, the Big Ten's balance of power lies in the East Division, where Ohio State, Michigan and Penn State have won six of eight title games. The conference champion has come from the East Division every year since the Big Ten was realigned five seasons ago.

As they should.

OT: Auburn trying to push Gus out? I read they’re putting 1 year limits on his coaching hires? Any truth to that?
Gus is a dead man walking, bro. :lol: They’re suffocating him.

And good for baby Briles. The **** Art had going on at Baylor was foul but I still tend to believe that problem was way bigger than the football program. They were just the highest profile idiots to take the fall.

Gus is a dead man walking, bro. :lol: They’re suffocating him.

And good for baby Briles. The **** Art had going on at Baylor was foul but I still tend to believe that problem was way bigger than the football program. They were just the highest profile idiots to take the fall.

Figured as much about, Gus. I’m sure in retrospect, he should have taken the Arkansas job. Hindsight is 20/20, but damn ... I’d make them pay every cent owed for a buyout, then sit on the couch and eat Goo-Goo Clusters for a few years or so. :lol:

how would they determine the 2 best teams when every team doesn’t play each other?
What would college football look like if these 14-team conferences said **** OOC schedules and just played a straight 13 game conference round robin?

Top team at the end is the champ.

Make the Big 12 and PAC 12 expand - take 5 conference champs and then highest G5 team and have a 6-team playoff.

The divisions are fine, this is an overreaction to NW, and the Big XII adding a CG could have easily backfired on them like it did in the OG Big XII days.

It's looking more and more like Kyler Murray it's going to win the Heisman. He's already won AP player of the year and now he's won the Davey O'Brien award for the best quarterback.

Last years Bednarik winner and this years Thorpe winner were both in Richt's last UGA class. Glad we didn't allow him to stick around and squander their talents.

Yea, like Roquan Smith wouldn't have been a stud if Richt was still there. :lol: Georgia fans like scorned exes still bringing up Richt at every turn.

Last edited:
Yea, like Roquan Smith wouldn't have been a stud if Richt was still there. :lol: Georgia fans like scorned exes still bringing up Richt at every turn.

We didn't go through 5 coaches in the last 20 years, he's all we have to compare to Kirby

How yall feel bout Haselwood tho? :lol:

The Big Ten head coaches love the current two-division set up in the conference too much for me to see any change. But who knows.
The beauty of two divisions is it's almost two conferences....so now you double the amount of Big Ten coaches that get to claim they regular season won their division, or they were runner-up (so close!). You go back to a straight 14-team conference standing and coaches' letterhead bragging gets to disappear. Don't think that doesn't come into play here with Delaney's final call.

Last years Bednarik winner and this years Thorpe winner were both in Richt's last UGA class. Glad we didn't allow him to stick around and squander their talents.

10508 cardo jr ln 10508 cardo jr ln no need for thr Richt slander. He's an average coach but a great man. Ask anyone whose ever played for him or worked with him. He legit cares about people beyond football. He always talks to his guys about life after football, spirituality, etc. And unlike the Hugh Freezes and Urban Meyers of the world, he doesn't just talk the talk, he lives it.

We didn't go through 5 coaches in the last 20 years, he's all we have to compare to Kirby

How yall feel bout Haselwood tho? :lol:
Yea, he's literally the greatest coach in your school's history. And we can pull countless posts of you slurping him in here that don't need to be rehashed. Carry on with ya clown ***, though.

The thing a lot of Georgia fans forget is how much of a dumpster fire the Georgia program was before Mark richt got there. There was an almost 20-year period where we didn't even win the division. Florida was beating us into a pulp and Tennessee owned us.

Mark Richt, for all his faults brought us out of those dark days and brought us back into national relevance. He couldn't take us over the top but we were consistently a top 15 team for his tenure.

The program getting better in the 2000s isn't all on Mark, a lot of it is the huge population growth in the metro Atlanta area and the overall rise in talent, but we need to give credit where credit is due.

I'm not sure Kirby could be doing what he's doing now if Mark richt hadn't done his thing.

Back
Top Bottom