OFFICIAL 2019 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD

Lol Brock. Hot take.

Blue bloods shouldn't be running the air raid? Didn't Oklahoma push his alma mater's **** in twice running the air raid?

Does Brock not have a point though with building from the inside out? The Big 12, and I guess the Pac 12 now fits that "outside in" mold, but most leagues are putting OL, DL, and LBs into the league into the early rounds. And those same teams with deep trenches, except for Oklahoma, are the same ones competing for national titles on a yearly basis.

Sure USC could potentially get away with it now, but in their heyday they were playing with legit OL/DL/LB talent that they aren't playing with now. Clemson has it. Alabama has it. Ohio State for the most part has it. Oklahoma doesn't really have it, except for on the OL this year. USC does not have it.

This is where I see Texas struggling, despite having their top 5 recruiting classes. They have absolutely nothing inside. That's gonna catch up to them soon. They coasted by Georgia this year with guys like Hager and Omehinu...which should be embarrassing to Georgia, but Texas really doesn't have depth and talent inside. Of course Herman could be a master evaluator and developer and make me sound like an absolute fool, but he's missed on all the highly recruited talents in the trenches in the state the last two years except for Tyler Johnson.

But isn’t the fact that SC doesn’t have it the exact reason why they should try spreading the field and throwing the ball out to their 11-deep blue chip receiver corps?

They’ve tried running the football into a wall for 3 years with Helton. The first two years it won conference and bowl championships because they were better than every team they played and in the 3rd with film on that offense out there and less of a talent gap it was a total disaster.

I don’t agree with you or Brock’s assumption that changing offensive philosophy suddenly means they’ll stop recruiting talented linemen. Yes less talented teams run spread offenses to make up for talent gaps, but we’ve seen what happens when teams like Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon and even Alabama run the spread with their talent advantages. I don’t know that offensive scheme alone dictates line toughness. Ohio State threw the ball around I think almost as much as TTU this season and you acknowledge they still dominate along the lines.

Last edited:
Running the air raid doesn't force you to recruit outside in, though. That's a staff choice based on other factors ...

Texas' class was a little off-balance, but that's a problem they'll have to figure out. Wasn't a system issue... They just couldn't win battles in-state for literally anyone in 2019. A&M has struggled for years to recruit defensive linemen and linebackers, but that had nothing to do with Kevin Sumlin's offensive system. They couldn't recruit the defensive front seven well under Sherman or Franchone either, and neither of them are Air Raid guys.

The scales are tipped because you're land-locked to an extent with talent your region produces. Clemson and Bama and LSU and the like are constantly at an advantage because they're located in a region that churns out big kids that actually grow up playing and wanting to play defense and wanting to smack the **** outta dudes.

Texas HS football really puts A&M and UT at a disadvantage. They HAVE to go national for DL and LB talent literally every year. A&M has recruited ZERO Texas linebackers in 2019 or 2020. Literally not a single one.

Bama just hired Mike Stoops for support staff and now interviewing Major Applewhite for a role. Been saying that they need to cap these analysts numbers, especially with teams using them like de facto coaches.

Bama just hired Mike Stoops for support staff and now interviewing Major Applewhite for a role. Been saying that they need to cap these analysts numbers, especially with teams using them like de facto coaches.

Bama had Butch Jones on the sideline in the playoffs talking directly to players in between drives :lol:

At this point teams aren't even trying to hide it.

:lol: Kris Hutson with the shade towards Bru McCoy: "I was shocked," he said. "I was pretty shocked because he was pretty big on USC. But he had to do what he had to do. To be honest, to me I think it's a good option because you know there are a lot of people going to SC, it's his decision and he wants to start right away," he added. "I felt like that was a good choice for him."

Bama had Butch Jones on the sideline in the playoffs talking directly to players in between drives :lol:

At this point teams aren't even trying to hide it.
Not trying to hide it at all. He's legitimately coaching on the sidelines. Surprised that this isn't a bigger issue for offseason rule changes.

:lol:, Dabo is going to shut that **** down as soon as he sees this vid.

unc-tar-heels-air-jordan-pe-1.jpg

unc-tar-heels-air-jordan-pe-2.jpg

Last edited:
Clemson players are wildin. Not smart. My nephew isn't even allowed to go to Big Bear and play around the snow because we don't want him to get injured. That dude is flying over bums for ****s and giggles. Damn to be young and reckless gain

Back
Top Bottom