**OFFICIAL 2019 NBA OFFSEASON THREAD**

Which team will win the 2018-2019 NBA Championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
They aren't the owners. He's been saved cause he's Jeanie's guy. They wanted to fire him earlier this season but she's vouched for him too much.

There's blame to be placed at the feat of everyone to varying degrees....

Even Jeannie is starting to take some heat, which is kind of crazy because she’s been basically Teflon up until now. The fact even sweet Jeannie is now getting some blame tells you just how pisssed off of the Lakers fanbase is.

KD (on his own) really gonna add 20+ wins to the Knicks and make them a contender???

I’m still taking NY with a grain of salt. Everyone has him as a Knick but last time he moved most had him staying in OKC... and he picked the team no one really believed

I think if GS loses...he's leaving...but not for NY.

I know anyone can make space for him.

But who could he honestly sign with besides GSW and NY? I highly doubt he goes to either LA team.

Was he? Aware me of these fine moves? Clearing cap to MAYBE sign 2 big fishes? That would have been acceptable in 2009... Not 2019. Maybe you haven't been paying attention (odd considering your hate for Bron so looking around the league this is obvious) but hitting on, and retaining, draft talent is how you win in the NBA. LA very clearly is not enough to get a big name free agent because the only one we've gotten is the one who's not focused on basketball as his career is at the end. He moved his best prospect in a salary dump. He let his next best prospect walk for salary, reportedly against the wishes of his coaching staff. He did the same thing with his center who was literally perfect for what he was trying to accomplish. He traded his best big prospect for a player who takes and misses more wide open jumpers than everyone in the league. Signed no shooters....when his best player is best served with a bunch of shooters. I mean what has he done that indicates in any way he's capable of building a team?

Let's see:

Magic was hired on February 21, 2017

Lakers were in a scenario where we were in the last year of needing to tank to retain our top 3 draft pick. He comes in and trades Lou Williams for a 1st rd pick (who was our best player at the time and secures the tank).

2017 draft: Zo, Kuz, Hart, Bryant (differing opinions on where you rank or feel about them but they along with Ingram are a solid young core-sans Bryant).

D'Lo trade: I know everybody likes to have revisionist history around here because of where he's at now but the overwhelming sentiment among Laker fans and the league in general was that he had to go after that incident. The previous regime handicapped the Lakers by handing out those 2016 deals to Mosgov and Deng.

Going forward you had to move at least one of those deals to create cap space for a max free agent (you say teams don't do that they just let scores grow?). So the Lakers should've not positioned themselves to be players in the most star studded free agent classes the league has ever seen in 2018 and 2019?

Show me the team that has 7 or 8 draft picks on there right now cause that's what y'all and others keep suggesting (that we somehow should have retained D'Lo, Randle, BI, JC, Nance Jr, drafted Zo, Kuz, and Zu and Thomas Bryant. That's NINE young guys. There's a reason when the Lakers started all 5 draft picks earlier this year that was the first time it's happened in league history. It doesn't happen. There was always going to be consolation of the roster because that many young guys don't win in this league. Now if you wanna have a discussion about did they pick and choose the right guys to keep. We can have that later.

Summer of 2017: made a solid free agent signing in Brook Lopez and signed KCP (at the time opening the dialogue to Klutch sports preparing for what's to come).

Core was developing fine, Lakers were showing progress despite a plethora of injuries.

Trade deadline 2018: trade JC and Nance to CLE all but assuring we'd have 2 max slots and rolling out the red carpet for the self proclaimed king to come in.

Then July 1st came and it went wrong. I'll continue my diatribe but would like to pause to give you a chance to respond.

Last edited:
But he's the one they deserve.
37488.jpg

Just read on-line that the teams with the most cap space in Summer of 2019 are the Clips, Hawks, Nets, Pacers, Kings and Knicks. Hard to imagine KD going to the Pacers, Nets or Kings, even though they might make more sense from a pure basketball perspective than the Knicks. I don’t see him as a Clipper either. Knicks or GSW seem like the real possibilities.

Let's see:

Magic was hired on February 21, 2017

Lakers were in a scenario where we were in the last year of needing to tank to retain our top 3 draft pick. He comes in and trades Lou Williams for a 1st rd pick (who was our best player at the time and secures the tank).

2017 draft: Zo, Kuz, Hart, Bryant (differing opinions on where you rank or feel about them but they along with Ingram are a solid young core-sans Bryant).

D'Lo trade: I know everybody likes to have revisionist history around here because of where he's at now but the overwhelming sentiment among Laker fans and the league in general was that he had to go after that incident. The previous regime handicapped the Lakers by handing out those 2016 deals to Mosgov and Deng.

Going forward you had to move at least one of those deals to create cap space for a max free agent (you say teams don't do that they just let scores grow?). So the Lakers should've not positioned themselves to be players in the most star studded free agent classes the league has ever seen in 2018 and 2019?

Show me the team that has 7 or 8 draft picks on there right now cause that's what y'all and others keep suggesting (that we somehow should have retained D'Lo, Randle, BI, JC, Nance Jr, drafted Zo, Kuz, and Zu and Thomas Bryant. That's NINE young guys. There's a reason when the Lakers started all 5 draft picks earlier this year that was the first time it's happened in league history. It doesn't happen. There was always going to be consolation of the roster because that many young guys don't win in this league. Now if you wanna have a discussion about did they pick and choose the right guys to keep. We can have that later.

Summer of 2017: made a solid free agent signing in Brook Lopez and signed KCP (at the time opening the dialogue to Klutch sports preparing for what's to come).

Core was developing fine, Lakers were showing progress despite a plethora of injuries.

Trade deadline 2018: trade JC and Nance to CLE all but assuring we'd have 2 max slots and rolling out the red carpet for the self proclaimed king to come in.

Then July 1st came and it went wrong. I'll continue my diatribe but would like to pause to give you a chance to respond.

You typed a bunch and said nothing. None of what you said excuses that Magic has been bad at his job. I brought up 2009 because at that time social media wasn't as powerful as it is today. Then you may have needed a bigger market to do things outside of the court but it's absolutely irrelevant now. So banking on that is incredibly stupid. Especially considering we haven't been able to sign anyone for some time. As far as your draft pick comment. I didn't say anything about 7-8 picks. I said you have to hit on them. Drafting Lonzo and then not even bothering to put a shot creator next to him is/was insanely idiotic. Lonzo was CLEARLY flawed as a prospect so it's his job to be smart enough to place him in the best possible position....considering that was his most important pick. Not only did he duped into picking the wrong player, he wasn't even smart enough to cover his mistake. Or, idk, not trade the guy he already had that could create. Instead of prioritizing scouting/drafting, he decided it was smart to prioritize cap....in order to make a big splash and the splash he made was signing a 34 year old star. Fantastic GM work.

You typed a bunch and said nothing. None of what you said excuses that Magic has been bad at his job. I brought up 2009 because at that time social media wasn't as powerful as it is today. Then you may have needed a bigger market to do things outside of the court but it's absolutely irrelevant now. So banking on that is incredibly stupid. Especially considering we haven't been able to sign anyone for some time. As far as your draft pick comment. I didn't say anything about 7-8 picks. I said you have to hit on them. Drafting Lonzo and then not even bothering to put a shot creator next to him is/was insanely idiotic. Lonzo was CLEARLY flawed as a prospect so it's his job to be smart enough to place him in the best possible position....considering that was his most important pick. Not only did he duped into picking the wrong player, he wasn't even smart enough to cover his mistake. Or, idk, not trade the guy he already had that could create. Instead of prioritizing scouting/drafting, he decided it was smart to prioritize cap....in order to make a big splash and the splash he made was signing a 34 year old star. Fantastic GM work.

He can’t build a team. I’m confident in saying this.

However, he has until this summer and MAYBE till the trade deadline to hit on an actual max free agent. If he gets one, all those things you listed will be immediately forgiven. Having Lebron + another max player will hide a lot of the flaws.

I just don’t see who they will get. I don’t see anyone of significance going there this summer.

Magic wanted to draft Fox. Jeanie wanted Zo.

I typed a bunch of nothing huh? You can't refute anything I said about his job prior to this past summer. The majority said he'd done a good job a worst since taking the president job and that the rep up until this summer. He'd gotten rid of the malcontent in the locker room, restored credibility to the franchise after Jim Buss and Kupchak were floundering to say the least and set us up with young guys and enough room to strike in free agency.

Then he decided to go to Brentwood at 9:01pm July 1st and everything since that point has been a **** show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom